Character(s) that you feel bad for because their perception in the fandom

SageHarpuiaJDJ

Ok regarding this whole debate that's going on right now about Rhea and Nemesis, here's my two cents

Spoiler

We know jack shit about Nemesis. He was a thief who killed Sothis and then waged war on the Nabeteans. That's like all we know. He literally has no character.

Now, Rhea says that Nemesis was the villain. Edelgard says it was the other way around but her information comes not from the Agarthans but from Adrestian legend itself. Appearently that's the story that was passed down through the imperial family. Whether the Agarthans infiltrated Adrestia that far back, who knows. But it's just something to keep in mind.

I hope Cindered Shadows just goes into the lore more because we really don't know what happened a thousand years before the events of the game.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Micaiah, but I think she's at a point now where she has more fans than ever. So I don't know if she counts anymore or not.

Still though, I can't get over the irony of our lovely fandom seeing her as a "Mary Sue" when she was the most  flawed lord character in the time she was introduced. I'm glad we'er past that point now.

Also Rhea is another character that deserves more love. She could be very lovely and sweet. And I wish more people talked about that side of hers.

I also cannot wrap my head around micaiah being a mary sue, she is pretty well written is clearly struggles within the story

1 hour ago, forsettipatty said:

Yet just doesn't get any criticism or care much about the Kitsune genocide

Pre-Chapter 6: Chapter 2: Called out by Leo for showing mercy on Kaze and Rinkah the way he did

Chapter 6 Take your pick

• Called out by Nohrians for going to Hoshido, betraying everyone that loved them
  • Called out by Hoshidans for going to Nohr, despite Garon killing his mother and possibly wanting to kill Corrin
  • Called out by BOTH Nohr and Hoshido siblings for attacking both commanders just to get both sides to stop fighting

Chapter 10 Birthright: Criticism from Azura for allowing Zola to come along
Chapter 11 Brithright: Indirect criticism from Takumi for Zola to come along
Chapter 12 Birthright: Criticism from Garon for showing pity on Zola despite Zola betraying the group
Chapter 14 Birthright: One could argue that Ryoma was telling Corrin not to get too cocky was also some criticism after the end of the battle
Chapter 16 Birthright: Called out by Takumi for listening to Iago about there being a traitor
Chapter 17 Birthright: Ryoma criticism example "You're on your way to becoming a great leaded, and you lead by example. If you dont trust your own troops, how will they trust you? Don't let what happened with Zola shake your confidence"
Ryoma also mentioned Corrins gut feelings as a Strength, and a weakness citing a lack of years of experience
Chapter 18 Birthright: Corrin mentioned as a bit reckless near chapters end
Chapter
Chapter 24 Birthright: Ryoma reminds him that they are fighting for peace despite the sacrifices, and asks Corrin if they wanted "Lilith to give up like this?"
Chapter 25 Birthright: Xander tells Corrin not to "throw your life away on "if only""

Chapter 8 Conquest: Criticism from Silas who mentioned that they came to suppress a rebellion and that they would hate a Nohrian prince/princess
Chapter 13 Conquest: One could argue about Corrin criticizing himself about experience leading an army
Chapter 14 Conquest: Leo openly asking Corrin if he had a death wish for challenging Garon the way he did, and saying that just because they disagree doesnt mean they have to openly disobey
Chapter 16 Conquest: Leo calls Corrin soft, Camilla says "But... I hope that kindness of yours never comes back to haunt you" for sparing Shura
Chapter 17 Conquest: Leo calls Corrin soft for Corrin asking Leo if killing Zola was necessary
Chapter 18 Conquest: Kaze tells Corrins that liffe is not black or white when Corrin says "If I had chosen a different path"
Chapter 19 Conquest: Azura says "I know what you're thinking... That they'd still be alive if we hadn't come this way. But the war would have been prolonged, and others elsewhere would have died. Surely you see that?"
Chapter 21 Conquest: Xander: "You are our leader, Corrin. Think with your head, not with your heart. No matter what happens to us, you mustn't fall here. All of Nohr is counting on you..."
"Crying will not bring her back, nor is it what she would have wanted for you."
"Listen, Corrin. I know this sounds harsh, but there's nothing you can do. Falling into misery and blaming yourself will not change anything"
Chapter 24: THE ENTIRE TOWNSPEOPLE OF HOSHIDO IS CALLING OUT CORRING FOR BEING A "TRAITOR"
Chapter 25: Criticizes himself for allowing Ryoma to die calling himself "I am King Garon's child! A cold, heartless, Prince/Princess"

Chapter 10, 12, 13, 22, 23, 24   :Called out/Criticism by various people for going to Nohr

Criticism isn't just: "FUCK YOU *Insert main character here's name* THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN
Criticism can come from a compassionate tone as well

I dont feel like going through each of the revelation scripts, but I think you get the point

5 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

Pre-Chapter 6: Chapter 2: Called out by Leo for showing mercy on Kaze and Rinkah the way he did

Chapter 6 Take your pick

• Called out by Nohrians for going to Hoshido, betraying everyone that loved them
  • Called out by Hoshidans for going to Nohr, despite Garon killing his mother and possibly wanting to kill Corrin
  • Called out by BOTH Nohr and Hoshido siblings for attacking both commanders just to get both sides to stop fighting

Chapter 10 Birthright: Criticism from Azura for allowing Zola to come along
Chapter 11 Brithright: Indirect criticism from Takumi for Zola to come along
Chapter 12 Birthright: Criticism from Garon for showing pity on Zola despite Zola betraying the group
Chapter 14 Birthright: One could argue that Ryoma was telling Corrin not to get too cocky was also some criticism after the end of the battle
Chapter 16 Birthright: Called out by Takumi for listening to Iago about there being a traitor
Chapter 17 Birthright: Ryoma criticism example "You're on your way to becoming a great leaded, and you lead by example. If you dont trust your own troops, how will they trust you? Don't let what happened with Zola shake your confidence"
Ryoma also mentioned Corrins gut feelings as a Strength, and a weakness citing a lack of years of experience
Chapter 18 Birthright: Corrin mentioned as a bit reckless near chapters end
Chapter
Chapter 24 Birthright: Ryoma reminds him that they are fighting for peace despite the sacrifices, and asks Corrin if they wanted "Lilith to give up like this?"
Chapter 25 Birthright: Xander tells Corrin not to "throw your life away on "if only""

Chapter 8 Conquest: Criticism from Silas who mentioned that they came to suppress a rebellion and that they would hate a Nohrian prince/princess
Chapter 13 Conquest: One could argue about Corrin criticizing himself about experience leading an army
Chapter 14 Conquest: Leo openly asking Corrin if he had a death wish for challenging Garon the way he did, and saying that just because they disagree doesnt mean they have to openly disobey
Chapter 16 Conquest: Leo calls Corrin soft, Camilla says "But... I hope that kindness of yours never comes back to haunt you" for sparing Shura
Chapter 17 Conquest: Leo calls Corrin soft for Corrin asking Leo if killing Zola was necessary
Chapter 18 Conquest: Kaze tells Corrins that liffe is not black or white when Corrin says "If I had chosen a different path"
Chapter 19 Conquest: Azura says "I know what you're thinking... That they'd still be alive if we hadn't come this way. But the war would have been prolonged, and others elsewhere would have died. Surely you see that?"
Chapter 21 Conquest: Xander: "You are our leader, Corrin. Think with your head, not with your heart. No matter what happens to us, you mustn't fall here. All of Nohr is counting on you..."
"Crying will not bring her back, nor is it what she would have wanted for you."
"Listen, Corrin. I know this sounds harsh, but there's nothing you can do. Falling into misery and blaming yourself will not change anything"
Chapter 24: THE ENTIRE TOWNSPEOPLE OF HOSHIDO IS CALLING OUT CORRING FOR BEING A "TRAITOR"
Chapter 25: Criticizes himself for allowing Ryoma to die calling himself "I am King Garon's child! A cold, heartless, Prince/Princess"

Chapter 10, 12, 13, 22, 23, 24   :Called out/Criticism by various people for going to Nohr

Criticism isn't just: "FUCK YOU *Insert main character here's name* THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN
Criticism can come from a compassionate tone as well

I dont feel like going through each of the revelation scripts, but I think you get the point

Hoshidans/villains calling corrin out doesn't count. And some of that is not criticism at all, that's literally praising corrin, especially Chapter 19 and 21 is just praise for what Corrin has done

Just now, forsettipatty said:

Hoshidans/villains calling corrin out doesn't count. And some of that is not criticism at all, that's literally praising corrin, especially Chapter 19 and 21 is just praise for what Corrin has done

Talk about moving the goalpost
And yes Hoshidans and Villains count since A: They are their own characters besides being "HURR DURR I AR EVIL" and B: The criticism would be valid if it came from the allies instead of the villians

C 19 and C 21 are praising Corrin for what he has done, but they are criticisms since Azura and Xander are both telling him not to be so Naive/Kindhearted during war
B 12 would be just as valid if Ryoma said the same thing to Corrin

1 minute ago, Flee Fleet! said:

every footie in fe4 for obvious reasons

Horse Emblem strikes again!

---

I honestly feel like most of the bad reputation Celica (and by extension her part of the story) gets is undeserved. Not that I don't tolerate people who dislike Celica, but I think some of the dung that gets thrown her way is unjustified, because while her actions in Act 4 certainly aren't rational (then again, who is ever 100% rational with their decision-making? I'd argue exactly zero people. So why should characters?), they are very much in-character for her and make sense when looked at within the context of the information she does have available.

Gonna echo the Dimitri/Rhea/Edelgard sentiment. Everyone seems to DESPISE one while praising the other and ignoring the nuances of all three.

Micaiah and Azura are a couple  of others. I'm not their biggest fan, truth be told, but I don't DISlike them. There's mismanagement of their characters, certainly, such as Azura basically being walking exposition and Micaiah being very underutilized, but so many treat them like straight trash and it can seem a little extreme.

I'll also throw in a sentiment for some of the FEH CYL winners (Lyn, Lucina, Camilla, Ike, Hector, et cetera). Several of them are some of my favorite characters, true, but man. I see so much unfair hate for the characters themselves that basically boils down to "I hate them for being popular." There's more nuance to it than that, of course, but that's basically what it boils down to. It gets grating after a little while.

3 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Gonna echo the Dimitri/Rhea/Edelgard sentiment. Everyone seems to DESPISE one while praising the other and ignoring the nuances of all three.

Going by some impressions I've got, it almost appears like liking all three is some novel concept that nobody has ever thought of before. Not the case in reality, obviously, but sometimes it just feels that way. Me, I like all three of them, since to me, they are really well written characters.

On that note, and a bit off-topic, but it's something I need to get off my chest (feel free to ignore): it's almost like people's cognition itself is splitting up into black and white; after all, similar phenomena can be observed in the real world as well. These days you only ever read about or hear "good" and "bad"; it's always one or the other, never both, always black and white, no grey areas. It's frightening, to be honest.

Oh yeah, the Rhea vs Edelgard thing... I like both characters and don't get why you have to feel forced to like "only" one. Also Dimitri is just fine. While there certainly some things could have been written more carefully you can find a few things to like there.

I dare say that I think that Orochi is a bit ill fated. I actually like her as a character and she has some funny and refreshing supports. Orochi x Odin, Orochi x Azama. Or Orochi x Jakob. Are not so bad. But it feels like she got onto the bad side. Her support with Corrin may be not one of the best. And a bit one sided with the Mother talk. And regarding story she holds not much meaning. But characters like Charlotte neither. So overall I feel she could be treated better. This is also regarding the japanese poll in which she has been dead last.

Edited by Stroud

Any character who's the butt of an object of thirst joke. Tharja, Camilla, Linde, Bernadetta (those creepy feet copypastas) you get the idea.

8 hours ago, forsettipatty said:

i just wish that whenever i say i like elise the immediate connotation isn't that i like children lol, she's one of the more well written royals in fates

As an Elise and Nowi stan, this resonates within me

2 hours ago, Boomhauer007 said:

any discussion about Ike inevitably is hit with someone bringing their headcanon about his sexuality as indisputable fact. 

Yeah, I agree; it’s irritating (and before anyone says I’m being hypocritical, I am not; in all my posts, I simply say that I think the dynamic between Ike and Elincia in the NA localization was well-written, I express lament that it wasn’t carried over into Radiant Dawn, and I acknowledge that there’s no confirmation as to his orientation in any version of either game). 

Ricken: He's not an amazing character, but people write off his entire personality as "don't treat me as a kid!", when in truth that aspect only pops up every now and again, and even then, sometimes that reaction isn't unwarranted or it kicks off a far more interesting discussion. If anything, Ricken talks more about how his family has fallen on hard times, and he has some underappreciated "war is hell" supports that are pretty subtle about him trying to become a war hero to save his families honor.

Kellam: Another character that's often called one-note, although it's pretty easy to tell whether or not someone bothered to read Kellam's supports. Despite his introduction, description, and ending, not once does a character ever forget he exists. Instead, the joke is about his ridiculous lack of presence, and even then it's rarely the focus of his supports. Often times, they just say the joke to get it over with, and then move on to the meat of the conversation. Admittedly, It doesn't appear as often as I'd like, but he does have a clever and thoughtful side, and is surprisingly stubborn and helps others in his own way.

Most Awakening characters in general get a bad rep for being one-dimensional, but I find that their supposed "gimmicks" aren't as frequent as people make them out to be, and even then they are often used pretty well to start or continue a conversation instead of being the focus. They do have the issue of having very questionable first impressions and requiring the player to read through their supports to see their depth, which was a double-edged sword. While the characters of Three Houses can still be kinda tropey, I am glad that IS listened to this feedback as any "trope" a character might have isn't at the forefront and there are ways to learn about them outside of supports.

Celica: Way too often is her stupid decision near the end of the game treated as the entirety of her character, with the rest of her personality and actions up to that point being largely, in not entirely, ignored.

Shura: A character who is involved in the games backstory, shows the grayer parts of the Nohr-Hoshidan conflict, has the guts to go up against the royal families of either nation, has an awesome boss conversation when fighting Kotaro, and goes from a common thief to rebuilding a ransacked nation and becoming its elected governor, is all shoved aside because he has some nice shoes. Jokes aside, Shura had the potential to be a very interesting character, yet suffers from only being able to support Corrin and having his story relevance be pushed aside so the player can decide between getting another character or an item.

8 hours ago, Deathcon said:

The whole Edelgard vs Rhea vs Dimitri thing. If you liked Edelgard you hate Rhea and everything she is about and call Dimitri a murderous pirate, if you like Dimitri you think Edelgard is completely in the wrong and she deserves no forgiveness forgetting everything about her character or have never bothered playing her path, if you like Rhea you similarly hate Edelgard and etc.

Or be me, Love dimitri and understand Edelgard's actions and are entirely creeped out by Rhea. Though she does have an aesthetically pleasing pallate

Also Faye is in the same boat as Rhea with pallate but she's also a sweetie. 

But Anthony doesn't deserve half the shit he gets. Y'all just attack a kid who's basically in a kill or be killed situation and kinda forced corn to go through a little character development for no reason other than "he's supporting corrin wank" but ya fap to Camilla and Tharja like it's nothing and they're canonically more problematic than he is

Gonna second that the Edelgard/Dimitri debate is stupid as hell and I like all three lords to a certain extent. Edelgard is my least fav, but I redeem her and make her likeable in my ficverse. I won't ramble here.

Also gonna add Hubert. Want to make him likable? Add endearing traits to him. Make jokes about him. Say he has red boxers and will sit in just those in his free time and smoke a cigar. Any character can be improved like this, especially ones that come off as hateable at first glance.

Cyril and Leonie suffer from the same thing, the idol worship of sorts, but you just need to look deeper and get more of their supports. Cyril's support with Lysithea is adorable, and in other supports, he drops some savage burns which are hilarious. Leonie has a nice support with Raphael, which is why I ship them.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

Also gonna add Hubert. Want to make him likable? Add endearing traits to him. Make jokes about him. Say he has red boxers and will sit in just those in his free time and smoke a cigar. Any character can be improved like this, especially ones that come off as hateable at first glance.

Or Y’know you can skip all the headcanons and read his Ferdinand Support. Those two are gay for each other and you can’t change my mind. 

Regardless, I’m just gonna go with Severa here cause while she may not be the most hated character or anything. A lot of the things I see people complain about with her is usually due to poor localization in some instances. She’s not nearly as harsh in the Japanese versions of awakening and fates. She’s actually a lot more sweet. Also awakening’s localization does change some of the context of her character to make her come off as more blunt when she’s not supposed to be. Fates is a little more faithful in the respect that she’s less harsh but it still has problems. Sometimes I wonder why it’s so hard for these people to localize a tsundere properly. Sometimes they do it right other times not so much

The two that come to mind are Matthis and Kris. Poor Matthis often gets the same level of dislike as Makalov, but Matthis is way less of a dirtbag, his ai is just coded very very poorly. He may be a loser, but he is no Makalov. Kris on the other hand gets a lot of hate due to lazy writing, Kris wasn't the one too lazy to write new lines for the story, forcing the avatar to steal the lines of others (or remain silent...), and all that attention hogging people hate Kris for, the ending makes it clear Kris never wanted any attention at all.

I second the awakening cast in general. I blame level up quotes, crit quotes, and event tile quotes. Because those are all things that you see frequently and that remind of the character gimmick. However, most character have many supports about things other than the gimmicks. The presentation just does not make people interested enought to go deeper.

While I think corrin has it the worst, I've seen a similar treatment shown to Nowi. It seems most people look at the outfit and "nope right out of there", and most discussions about her devolve into accusations of Hebephilia and just overall incivility. Personally, I liked the character because I felt sorry for her, knowing what kind of hell her captors must have put her through, hence the attire, but also because she made a surprisingly good mother, and shows real maturity in her supports like Nah. I'd also say that most of the cast of Fates are unfaorly hated simply for being one note characters, like Silas, Seilki, or Kana, when I really just feel like Fates had way to many units period, so of course a lot of them are going to feel bland.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I’m just gonna go with Severa here

Son, I am proud of you for abstaining from saying Severa for a couple of days.

Camilla is probably near the top of the list. She's not THAT bad, but the salt people give her is real. Yes, she should have been written as motherly not, ah, seductively?

I feel bad for Ferdinand too. No real reason.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

Or Y’know you can skip all the headcanons and read his Ferdinand Support. Those two are gay for each other and you can’t change my mind. 

Haha! Yeah, you can do that too. Yaoi is not my cup of tea though.