Character(s) that you feel bad for because their perception in the fandom

SageHarpuiaJDJ

Ignatz : What on earth did he do that was wrong ? The poor child just wants to paint pictures.Ignatz is just as pure as characters like Annette and Ashe. I have a vibe it's because he's "ugly", and therefore people are less keen to like his character, because of those shallow reasons.

Bernie: Girl has social anxiety and trust issues to the extreme and grew up with a abusive father so it's logical to why she behaves the way that she does. People just don't understand social anxiety, I feel ?

Rhea: She's disturbing yes, but she's also flawed due to her trauma. Sounds familiar ? She's no different from Dimitri and Edelgard.

Edited by Eurydice

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corrin. I don't think she is half as bad as the fandom say she is. She is not worse than Celica, Lilina and other "well liked" characters - I'm not saying they are bad, though, just that they are in equal foot. I think the hate directioned to her is due to Fates disappointment overall and a bit of echo chamber. 

Sumia. She is not an exceptional complex character, but she is okay, especially compared to the rest of the Awakening cast. She gets bashed for her Chrom support but she is not forced to marry him, she has good convos with her other husbands, just don't be lazy and make an effort to disclose her other pairings. She can even stay single if you don't care for Cynthia. 

1 hour ago, Mylady said:

Sumia. She is not an exceptional complex character, but she is okay, especially compared to the rest of the Awakening cast. She gets bashed for her Chrom support but she is not forced to marry him, she has good convos with her other husbands, just don't be lazy and make an effort to disclose her other pairings. She can even stay single if you don't care for Cynthia. 

She's my favorite first-gen character in Awakening after Nowi, actually.

On that note, I think people put too much emphasis on Nowi's clothes and ignore the rest of her character because of it.

9 hours ago, Eurydice said:

Bernie: Girl has social anxiety and trust issues to the extreme and grew up with a abusive father so it's logical to why she behaves the way that she does. People just don't understand social anxiety, I feel ?

I think people's main issue with her is that her anxiety is usually played for laughs instead of taken as seriously as it should be.
I for one like Bernie, because I can relate to her on a very personal level.

1 hour ago, Mylady said:

Her Chrom support isn’t even all that bad though. It’s a fairly cute little romance story. It’s not all that complex or anything but it works for what it is and that’s really all it needed to be. 

Faye: After seeing her show up in the new Heroes Valentine banner I felt really bad for her. I've never felt bad for characters who can't let go of their love but something about her inclusion was just really sad and it really drove the point home about how unhealthy her obsession is. I'm really starting to feel that her feelings are so twisted that she probably won't let go of them till she dies and that's really not healthy. (Mind you, I doubt that my take here was IS's intention.)

Meanwhile a lot of the people in the fanbase are super angry at her for jumping in between Celica and Alm...even though it's made really clear that that's never gonna happen.

Camilla: I'm still not a fan of her but the fandom was waaaaaaaaay too hard on her and that includes me. The hostility whenever she got in the spotlight was something I hope we won't experience again with another character.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

On that note, I think people put too much emphasis on Nowi's clothes and ignore the rest of her character because of it.

I actually didn't notice that Nowi was questionably clothed until about my 8th month of playing FEH. It's weird, but I don't find it THAT appaling.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

I actually didn't notice that Nowi was questionably clothed until about my 8th month of playing FEH. It's weird, but I don't find it THAT appaling.

I didn't notice it until I saw how many people made a fuss over them.

12 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Her Chrom support isn’t even all that bad though. It’s a fairly cute little romance story. It’s not all that complex or anything but it works for what it is and that’s really all it needed to be. 

I thought people hated it because it was ''all about pie than romance ?'' and then they turn around and ship her with Gaius lol 

But yes, her Chrom supports are pretty cute and simple, but not in a bad way, she just takes care of him like a old fashioned housewife would. 

But come on here, we all know the real reasons why people hate on Sumia, and it's not really because her supports with Chrom is "bad", she gets in the way of people's OTP.  So they shove the "pie lover" with the candy lover

Edited by Eurydice

1 minute ago, Eurydice said:

I thought people hated it because it was ''all about pie than romance ?'' and then they turn around and ship her with Gaius lol 

But yes, her Chrom supports are pretty cute and simple, but not in a bad way, she just takes care of him like a old fashioned housewife would. 

But come on here, we all know the real reasons why people hate on Sumia, and it's not really because her supports with Chrom is "bad", she gets in the way of people's OTP.  So they shove the "pie lover" with the candy lover

"SUMIA GETS IN THE WAY OF MY SHIP, I WANT CHROMS BIG ABS OVER MY FACE NOT HERRRSSSSS RRREEEEEEEEE"

Tharja tried.  But alas, people held on to like, three things, and as a result, she gets the raw end of the fandom.  Her getup doesn't help, but that's the fault of the dark mages in general (Henry is in similar garb).

When Fates characters were written, I swear the discussion was "we have the Interesting Traits and then we have the fetish, which one should we emphasize?", and we all know how that ended.  Camilla would've had some interesting insight into Nohr's past, Soleil could've helped out Ophelia when she's out of inspiration (albeit clumsily), and Nina's thievery could've been elaborated on more (she could've jacked Dwyer's coffee because it's a luxury, and let the support run itself from there).  It would've meant Peri as a character would've needed a heavy rewrite, but if it meant making her a better character, I'd be all for it.

Tharja isn't even that fanservicey, at least in Awakening, she hides her bust in her potrait so the only way you can fully see is in battle or preview and even then she didn't have the greatest bust. Her stalker tendencies were also played more as creepy or at best comedic. It wasn't until Warriors and Heroes that she became that fanservicey. (Not counting Rhajat as Tharja in this)

9 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Tharja isn't even that fanservicey

Honestly, i think the fanbase in general kinda has a problem with characters that show a bit too much skin. Fates aside (because dear god, lol.), most characters people complain about being 'fanservicey' i mostly only notice after the fanbase complains about them, ngl.

Maybe it's because i play alot of jrpgs and used to watch alot of anime that i don't notice it, but i really don't get the complaints about most ''fanservice'' characters.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly, i think the fanbase in general kinda has a problem with characters that show a bit too much skin. Fates aside (because dear god, lol.), most characters people complain about being 'fanservicey' i mostly only notice after the fanbase complains about them, ngl.

Maybe it's because i play alot of jrpgs and used to watch alot of anime that i don't notice it, but i really don't get the complaints about most ''fanservice'' characters.

People wanna bitch about their favorite waifu not getting the attention

(I’m a Priscilla fan, everyone ignoring her is part of the territory)

On 2/11/2020 at 9:07 AM, Mylady said:

I believe part of the issue is that her support partners are oddly limited, and all of them can be married off to other characters. This means that A. She has less supports overall, limiting her development and B. She can miss out on the exclusive S support bonus if the player marries all her suitors to someone else. I'm honestly surprised that she can't support with Stahl or Kellam, as their personalities could lead to some interesting conversations, and I find that those two have great synergy with Cordelia, another Pegasus knight. It depends on the playstyle, of course, but I only get a use out of her current pairings every now and then.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, Shrimperor said:

Same honestly. The fan service in Fire Emblem is fairly tame all things considered. It’s a little more noticeable in fates but even then

Hmmm...

I think the big one I've seen a lot of hate for that I couldn't understand that much is Donnel? I mean yeah, one of his critical/skill proc quotes in the English dub is a Larry the Cable Guy reference and all that, but I really don't see anything to hate about him, personally. He's just an earnest, hardworking kid with a kind heart and a good head on his shoulders.
I suppose a lot of people probably just bench him due to the grinding it takes to get him up to par, so I can see where he'd end up largely overlooked because of that.

This is definitely related, although not quite exactly the topic, but I really hate how obnoxiously-tribal people get regarding the four house leaders in FE3H (counting Rhea as the "house leader" of the Church). It's kind of the point that none of them are just cleanly good or evil no matter how you slice it, yet I've seen each of them (except Claude, who mainly gets other complaints) get interpreted as up there with the series' vilest villains; the likes of Valter and FE4 Hilda and such. It's just... Come on. Come on now.

Edited by Topaz Light

On 2/10/2020 at 3:58 PM, Rose482 said:

Micaiah, but I think she's at a point now where she has more fans than ever. So I don't know if she counts anymore or not.

Still though, I can't get over the irony of our lovely fandom seeing her as a "Mary Sue" when she was the most  flawed lord character in the time she was introduced. I'm glad we'er past that point now.

It's really naïve of you to think that people hate Micaiah due to her being a "Mary-Sue", and not because of her terrible speed growth making her useless at anything besides being a healbot.

17 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It's really naïve of you to think that people hate Micaiah due to her being a "Mary-Sue", and not because of her terrible speed growth making her useless at anything besides being a healbot.

And just where in my original post did I say that people hate her ONLY  becasue of the whole "Mary-Sue" thing? I said it's sad people VIEWED her as such in the first place, when she's nothing like that.

How she preform as a unit is a whole different topic, which I honestly don't think most people take into consideration when they talk about Micaiah as a character. 

Edited by Rose482

On 2/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

The two that come to mind are Matthis and Kris. Poor Matthis often gets the same level of dislike as Makalov, but Matthis is way less of a dirtbag, his ai is just coded very very poorly. He may be a loser, but he is no Makalov. Kris on the other hand gets a lot of hate due to lazy writing, Kris wasn't the one too lazy to write new lines for the story, forcing the avatar to steal the lines of others (or remain silent...), and all that attention hogging people hate Kris for, the ending makes it clear Kris never wanted any attention at all.

Kris deserves no pity. Being shoved into a narrative they don't belong in and being shoved as Marth's "super best friend" and making Merric move over to be Marth's soulmate is insufferable. The only reason the vast majority give a shit about em is their godlike customization and pity 

Mozu, probably. Odin could be another example, but he is at least liked as a character (the reason why he was imported from Awakening to Fates.)

I understand why a turn-count challenge or a campaign focused on efficiency would ignore Mozu. The thing is that most campaigns and choices that I have seen here are already inefficient, by choice. People want to have fun and choose these or those units, regardless of the actual value of the chosen unit or class.
This might have been different when Conquest was released, but I got late to the party.

For a unit whose alternate class has a niche in Conquest, who gains 7-8 levels in her own chapter in fifteen or so minutes, who caps her relevant statistics relatively early (Strength, Speed and Skill, around L19/12-15), who has Weapon Triangle Advantage over most enemies, who is more accurate than any other unit, who is the quintessential boss killer... there is a lot of hate.
And I still have to mention that she is also super cute in most of her supports! Oh, and her Spanish localisation is, by far, the greatest localisation in the game! (Having played it in German, Spanish and English.)

What are you going to do with that Heart Seal? Favour Jakob? Come on! Conquest is not that difficult early in the game, not even on Lunatic. And by the time the game really gets demanding, a Sniper will always be more relevant than Paladin-Dragon-whatever Jakob, who becomes a "backpack" by mid-game.

Cyril. I've been scrolling through this topic, and I don't believe I've seen his name mentioned, which is deeply surprising to me. Just briefly, I don't believe Cyril meets the category of "hated unit;" it's just that nobody really likes him (because he's all about that Rhea). Based of your initial impressions of him, it's hard to say Cyril even passes off as likeable. Being completely honest here, I don't like Cyril much either, but there are certainly moments where his character does shine (his Lysithea and Manuela supports come to mind), but ultimately the hate that he recieves is undeserved. 

12 hours ago, Mukmuk said:

Cyril. I've been scrolling through this topic, and I don't believe I've seen his name mentioned, which is deeply surprising to me. Just briefly, I don't believe Cyril meets the category of "hated unit;" it's just that nobody really likes him (because he's all about that Rhea). Based of your initial impressions of him, it's hard to say Cyril even passes off as likeable. Being completely honest here, I don't like Cyril much either, but there are certainly moments where his character does shine (his Lysithea and Manuela supports come to mind), but ultimately the hate that he recieves is undeserved. 

I think the little touch of his notes being legible if he does get the lysithea support is nice

On 2/17/2020 at 11:12 PM, starburst said:

Mozu, probably. [...] For a unit whose alternate class has a niche in Conquest, who gains 7-8 levels in her own chapter in fifteen or so minutes, who caps her relevant statistics relatively early (Strength, Speed and Skill, around L19/12-15), who has Weapon Triangle Advantage over most enemies, who is more accurate than any other unit, who is the quintessential boss killer... there is a lot of hate.

Sniper Mozu, Terror to all things that are Ninja and hard counter to Kitsune and Kotaro

I´d like to put in my vote for Orochi. But that´s more because there doesn´t seem to be any discussion about her in the fandom at all (though I was late to the party). It might not be unrealistic to say that she managed to surpass Hinoka in terms of being forgettable. If there is some discussion about her, it´s about how bad of a unit she is, because of her speed when she is in the one game, where speed is not the most important offensive stat.

Edited by Imuabicus