Character(s) that you feel bad for because their perception in the fandom

SageHarpuiaJDJ

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I can dissect what you said, and why it's a problem via PM, because it's going to be a bit involved.

I don't really see how this is a problem since i already addressed what i meant.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, End of time said:

I don't really see how this is a problem since i already addressed what i meant.

Yeah, it's a problem, and if I don't do this, you're going to repeat it.  I'll send you a PM.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, Harb1ng3r said:

Lachesis has been screwed over by her art in Cypher and Heroes into being a generic moeblob. That's all she is to new fans. She's a powerful and conflicted character who grows beyond just being in love with her half-brother. She is a genuine badass, and she doesn't get enough credit for being pretty well-written.

Dang, I already liked aLachesis but now I do feel sorry for her. She is pretty BA as a master knight.

To be honest, I don’t think Heroes and cipher art don’t do a lot of characters justice and instead drops them down to a single trope. It happened to Lachesis, Iliyana, Reignhart, and several others.

but ya I agree with you, poor Lachesis (even though she is a terrible mom)

• 3 weeks later...

Eh, I think she's a fine mom. She left to find Dermott and reunite her family. It would be one thing if she just ran out on Finn, but she had a good reason to do it and left with Finn's blessing. I think that the fact that she was able to leave is a great symbol of the love and trust that Finn and Lachesis have for each other, and the faith that Lachesis has in Finn to raise their daughter well.

Editing to avoid a double post.

I think that some characters get written off way too quickly as memes. For instance, Dorcas is one of the kindest, most honest guys in Fire Emblem, he's doing everything for his sick wife, but all that he is known for is the mutton. 

I also sometimes see Merlinus get criticized for being an asshole in Binding Blade. I think that this stems from my biggest issue with Binding Blade's story: Roy always being right, and the emotional decision always being the best choice. Merlinus shows up in every cutscene to say "Are you sure Roy? This could be a trap." He provides sound and pragmatic advice, but because of the general tone of Elibe's stories he is always the cold-hearted loser who never trusts anything. I'd compare him to Augustus from Thracia, who has a similar set of views and strategies. However, Thracia paints Leif as impulsive, rash, and generally flawed, unlike Roy's, his choices and ideals can lead to failure. This leads to Augustus being a much more effective mentor character and a much more capable tactician. Merlinus is not bad, and Roy and Elphin are the source of all of the problems with him.

Edited by Harb1ng3r
didn't want to double post

18 hours ago, Harb1ng3r said:

I also sometimes see Merlinus get criticized for being an asshole in Binding Blade. I think that this stems from my biggest issue with Binding Blade's story: Roy always being right, and the emotional decision always being the best choice. Merlinus shows up in every cutscene to say "Are you sure Roy? This could be a trap." He provides sound and pragmatic advice, but because of the general tone of Elibe's stories he is always the cold-hearted loser who never trusts anything. I'd compare him to Augustus from Thracia, who has a similar set of views and strategies. However, Thracia paints Leif as impulsive, rash, and generally flawed, unlike Roy's, his choices and ideals can lead to failure. This leads to Augustus being a much more effective mentor character and a much more capable tactician. Merlinus is not bad, and Roy and Elphin are the source of all of the problems with him.

The character I'd say is a suitable comparison to Merlinus is Clive since they are both advisers who's role in the story is to always be in the wrong so the hero can shine all the brither. Augustus is probably more of a foil to these two since he is what they would be if they were good or even decent at their job. 

On 3/22/2020 at 10:08 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

The character I'd say is a suitable comparison to Merlinus is Clive since they are both advisers who's role in the story is to always be in the wrong so the hero can shine all the brither. Augustus is probably more of a foil to these two since he is what they would be if they were good or even decent at their job. 

That is actually a really good comparison, down to the pragmatic "we can't save everyone and everything's a trap" mentality

On 2/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

The two that come to mind are Matthis and Kris. Poor Matthis often gets the same level of dislike as Makalov, but Matthis is way less of a dirtbag, his ai is just coded very very poorly. He may be a loser, but he is no Makalov. Kris on the other hand gets a lot of hate due to lazy writing, Kris wasn't the one too lazy to write new lines for the story, forcing the avatar to steal the lines of others (or remain silent...), and all that attention hogging people hate Kris for, the ending makes it clear Kris never wanted any attention at all.

OMG THIS, all of this. 

With Makalov, I can at least understand the hate (though I do not agree with it), but I just can't understand the excessive hate towards Matthis. He's not even really a bad guy, he's just a guy who has a lot of flaws and is overprotective of his sister. One thing I love about Makalov and Matthis is that it's nice seeing cavalier units who aren't your generic courageous, strong, loyal, knightly character. One thing that boils my blood is how people use a Matthis's AI as a reason to hate him though. 

"Oh, I left my defenseless cleric in range of a cavalier. fuck matthis"

Yet, no one ever gives a shit about how Astram can kill his wife, Wendell can kill his student, or Castor can kill Caeda, or like, literally any unit who isn't recruited by Marth.

He's probably the character I've seen hated the most while also simultaneously really doesn't even do much aside from existing. And I'm tired of getting attacked for liking said character every time I merely mention them, Jesus.

I don't have much to say about Kris.

The only other character aside from Matthis that I feel bad for is Olwen considering how much hatred she receives just because she's worse than Illios.    

I would have to say Peri. I haven't talked about a Fates character in a long time. But, I can't seem to remember why she was disliked.

Perhaps, it was her crazy and childish attitude and also that she acts like this even though she is one of the main lord's retainer. But design-wise, she is a pretty unique and quirky FE character. I haven't played any games before Awakening so I can't say if there are any other FE characters like Peri.

@Deathcon I completely forgot about that meme lol.

Edited by Cron

5 hours ago, Cron said:

I would have to say Peri. I haven't talked about a Fates character in a long time. But, I can't seem to remember why she was disliked.

Perhaps, it was her crazy and childish attitude and also that she acts like this even though she is one of the main lord's retainer. But design-wise, she is a pretty unique and quirky FE character. I haven't played any games before Awakening so I can't say if there are any other FE characters like Peri.

Unique design...

Peri And Lissa Swap

😛

Caspar is a big one as far as units go. I enjoy his idiot loudmouth persona but I can understand why being a typical shonen hero can be a bit dull for people. 

But Caspar is also routinely mentioned as one of the worst units and I just don't get that. In my Black Eagles route he always pulled his weight, and while that may be anecdotal it was also a recurring theme in all routes I played. Caspar always turned out really well. The pattern is that he struggles in perhaps one starting chapter and then he picks up and never becomes a burden again. He always hits hard, frequently doubles, has the hp to survive being doubled and he always turned out as a crit machine. 

So when Caspar always turns into a good unit I really struggle to see where his reputation as a bad unit comes from. Is that one starting chapter where he starts out meh really such a terribly weakness? He's not Ashe who has a very recurring strength problem, not Lorentz who gets doubled to death by just about anything and not Cyril. He's just a consistently good unit who can pull his weight and crit a lot.