Character(s) that you feel bad for because their perception in the fandom

SageHarpuiaJDJ

Have you just ever seen a character that gets so much hate to the point where you generally feel bad for that character, not even because you like the character, but because you don't despise or dislike the character? Heck, while the character isn't your favorite, there are somethings that you like about the character that you feel that others don't see. So feel free to post about those poor souls and make them feel valued.

I'll start with an easy one.

Corrin- Good god. Never have I seen a character get so much hate not only in the FE fandom, but in ANY fandom. Before all the user reviews came in about how much of a mess the story of Fates was, I honestly that Corrin wasn't that bad. In their supports, they seemed very supportive for their fellows in arms, and I liked that.  Then after some time passes, the criticisms started to come in, which led to hate, which led to Corrin being the most despised Lord in the series. I generally understand not liking a character, but nowadays anyone who even tries to justify or defend these poor Manaketes is bombarded with paragraphs on how awful they are and how pointless it is to even try. Hell, one person I know literally thinks that Corrin is worse thing to happen in MEDIA. All of this just got me to a point of feeling bad for them, especially with the baggage that they carried: Being an 'unnecessary' smash choice, being the main character for a game that was the follow up to a game that got mixed receptions from the FE fandom, being an avatar character in a series that only recently started adding them, and some other stuff. Like, no matter where you go, there's going to be someone who hates the sheltered, naive prince/princess, and I can't but feel bad, especially considering some stuff in the story. Corrin would literally off themselves to please others and doesn't even argue with anyone. He doesn't even argue with Takumi, who every Corrin hater likes to say called Corrin on their 'bullshit', even though they truly agreed that what happened was their fault and even wanted to leave if that would make things better. Like, Corrin's not amazing by the stretch of the imagination, but all of this hate just feels blind and over proportioned.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhea - Dear god. She is just so unjustly and unfairly treated by the fandom. Alot of people blame her for everything bad that happened in Fodlan and act like she is the literal devil, even if she only shares like 10% of the blame max. I don't wanna go into Spoilers to those who didn't play the game, but seeing people compare Rhea at ther worst with others at their best really pisses me off.

Honeslty, while at the beginning of the game i didn't like her much and found her super suspicous, the more i play and think about the game the more i grow to like and understand her.

I could write more about her, but i really don't wanna get into Spoilers.

Edited by Shrimperor

corrin committed literal genocide in conquest I have no interest in defending her, but I think Elise gets a bad rap literally just because of that stupid "act like the adult you technically are"

it doesn't exactly help that she can have kids either, i just wish that whenever i say i like elise the immediate connotation isn't that i like children lol, she's one of the more well written royals in fates

Edited by forsettipatty

11 minutes ago, forsettipatty said:

corrin committed literal genocide in conquest I have no interest in defending her

You mean the thing with the Kitsune where they where hell bent on killing them and their army and felt like they didn't have a choice, or Hoshido where they couldn't even warn their siblings if they tried because of the Valla bs, both of which they had no real control of?

With both, people seem to forget that even pacifists in this series had to commit murder countless amount of times. It's not just exclusive to Corrin.

Just now, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

You mean the thing with the Kitsune where they where hell bent on killing them and their army and felt like they didn't have a choice, or Hoshido where they couldn't even warn their siblings if they tried because of the Valla bs, both of which they had no real control of?

With both, people seem to forget that even pacifists in this series had to commit murder countless amount of times. It's not just exclusive to Corrin.

Sure but Corrin is a bitch about everything, even people dying of fucking old age, yet just doesn't get any criticism or care much about the Kitsune genocide

The whole Edelgard vs Rhea vs Dimitri thing. If you liked Edelgard you hate Rhea and everything she is about and call Dimitri a murderous pirate, if you like Dimitri you think Edelgard is completely in the wrong and she deserves no forgiveness forgetting everything about her character or have never bothered playing her path, if you like Rhea you similarly hate Edelgard and etc.

That's why GD is best house! 

Just now, forsettipatty said:

Sure but Corrin is a bitch about everything, even people dying of fucking old age, yet just doesn't get any criticism or care much about the Kitsune genocide

They are a person locked in a tower their whole life...

Where they probably didn’t get to take a look at the real world for the first time until Chapter 2...

And the person the died wasn’t from old age, it was basically him killing himself so Corrin’s wouldn’t have to kill him....

Hell one could argue they didn’t have much sympathy for any of the villains outside of those in his group based on them attacking Corrin’s group first

I think it’s ok for them to “bitch” given they have to fight people they know in the war

(Oh and the criticism point I’ll get back to after my laptop get done charging)

7 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

The whole Edelgard vs Rhea vs Dimitri thing. If you liked Edelgard you hate Rhea and everything she is about and call Dimitri a murderous pirate, if you like Dimitri you think Edelgard is completely in the wrong and she deserves no forgiveness forgetting everything about her character or have never bothered playing her path, if you like Rhea you similarly hate Edelgard and etc.

That's why GD is best house! 

Or you can be like me and love all of them equally 

Ignatz sticks out the most as a character to feel sorry for. Unlike many of the more controversial characters the poor boy did nothing to deserve his rejection while having a lot of traits that make him more pitiable and endearing. Ignatz also seems the type to get very upset about the idea that a big chunk of the fandom rejects him so strongly. 

Lorentz falls in a similar boat though unlike Ignatz he very much does things to deserve the rejection. But the thing about Lorentz is that he's a very good guy who just happens to be incredibly weird and a klutz about being a good guy. 

There's also male Morgan to some extend. He seems decently liked by most people but the popularity difference between Morgan and his twin seems overly steep. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Lorentz falls in a similar boat though unlike Ignatz he very much does things to deserve the rejection. But the thing about Lorentz is that he's a very good guy who just happens to be incredibly weird and a klutz about being a good guy. 

You can put Ferdinand in a similar boat with him for many the same reasons.

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

True but Ferdie seems mostly embraced by the fandom because he is Ferdinand von Aegir. 

I think that is more the meme then anything else. He also has the upside of being on the house that was heavily marketed before release.

I feel like Faye gets a bad rep not just because of her personality but because of that support with Silque. And like, yeah i get it but it's not really that bad. And looking at the lines, i think there's something deeper going on here. It's kinda implied that the war just sorta fucked with her mind but people just ignore that. And being able to actually reasonably take Alm's rejection instead of threatning bloody murder is such a nice change of pace for what is supposedly "Tharja 3.0" (she's not btw).

1 hour ago, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

Corrin- Good god. Never have I seen a character get so much hate not only in the FE fandom, but in ANY fandom. Before all the user reviews came in about how much of a mess the story of Fates was, I honestly that Corrin wasn't that bad. In their supports, they seemed very supportive for their fellows in arms, and I liked that.  Then after some time passes, the criticisms started to come in, which led to hate, which led to Corrin being the most despised Lord in the series. I generally understand not liking a character, but nowadays anyone who even tries to justify or defend these poor Manaketes is bombarded with paragraphs on how awful they are and how pointless it is to even try. Hell, one person I know literally thinks that Corrin is worse thing to happen in MEDIA. All of this just got me to a point of feeling bad for them, especially with the baggage that they carried: Being an 'unnecessary' smash choice, being the main character for a game that was the follow up to a game that got mixed receptions from the FE fandom, being an avatar character in a series that only recently started adding them, and some other stuff. Like, no matter where you go, there's going to be someone who hates the sheltered, naive prince/princess, and I can't but feel bad, especially considering some stuff in the story. Corrin would literally off themselves to please others and doesn't even argue with anyone. He doesn't even argue with Takumi, who every Corrin hater likes to say called Corrin on their 'bullshit', even though they truly agreed that what happened was their fault and even wanted to leave if that would make things better. Like, Corrin's not amazing by the stretch of the imagination, but all of this hate just feels blind and over proportioned.

Adding to this, there was a time on Twitter where i would see the same tired joke of "lol wood has more personality than Corrin" and like, ok maybe it was funny the first time but it just didn't stop

i love Makalov, but don't feel bad for him: i feel bad for those who dislike or even hate him

also yeah, i love Rhea and i don't like that she gets all that hate..

i wish she got MORE hate, so that she'd be much more popular, if edelgard, lysithea and camilla are anything to go by

41 minutes ago, forsettipatty said:

Sorry, but did we play the same game? After the whole ordeal with the Kitsune, Corrin actually did feel remorse about the whole thing and wished that it didn't have to come to that.

Also, no matter how someone dies, people will still mourn or even cry. How is Corrin a 'bitch' for that?

Micaiah, but I think she's at a point now where she has more fans than ever. So I don't know if she counts anymore or not.

Still though, I can't get over the irony of our lovely fandom seeing her as a "Mary Sue" when she was the most  flawed lord character in the time she was introduced. I'm glad we'er past that point now.

Also Rhea is another character that deserves more love. She could be very lovely and sweet. And I wish more people talked about that side of hers.

8 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Nemesis.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm morally certain that the odds that he's anywhere near the bastard Rhea says he is are astronomically small.

Spoiler

I think the missing piece of information is that we never see what Sothis' reign is like, and why the Agarthans would want to oppose it. 

Sothis is an ally, but she also has a pretty condescending, haughty, and arrogant personality. Not exactly qualities one would want from a Goddess/ruler. 

I going to say Tharja from two awful support between her and Noire and father support.  Where she is made out to be an abuser to her family in the present days well as in the future . Going to take careful writing in order to tattle matters of not bring a good mom. That wasn't in the game sadly.

Next would be Leonie, due to a bad support with Byleth made even worse by being restricted after a major event. Just makes her out to be an insensitive fangirl that apologizes five years later.

For Mary Sue arguments, personally I don't see that term use most of the time as a negative slur but as a point of observation.  A character can still be enjoyable while being the center of the universe. Take Commander Shepherd form the Mass Effect series, he does noting wrong and can win over almost everyone to his cause. Player characters in RPGs trend to be one imo.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

Most characters from Fates; I don't like fates and it's characters. But something I dislike more is the fact some people act like the problems that Fates characters have are unique to that game even though they are very common in many other fe games (extremely shitty writing & avatar worship started with fe7, shipping started with fe4 and was expanded upon in fe13). You could argue that Fates characters presents them worse but almost nobody says this, instead they complain that Camilla is pandering while ignoring a character like Sylvia who is just as bad and even worse in many cases. I wouldn't have this problem if people explained why they think a character like that isn't as bad (tbh, this is something I also don't always do so it's something I could improve in).

Seliph; I understand why Seliph isn't popular. That doesn't I wish he was more popular (although CYL4 gave me a little bit of hope).

Edelgard, Rhea & Dimitri; The lack of nuance in discussions about these characters is what irritates me the most.