I'm looking to do a bit of tinkering at most for FE6, I'm wondering if it's going to be difficult.

Almirage

So I've been looking away from the hacking scene for ages now, the last time I had any substantial awareness of it whatsoever was around the time The Last Promise was finished, and even then I had minimal actual experience, simply using FEditor to change some portraits and Nightmare to mess with stats and item slots.

I wanted to mess around with FE6 somewhat to better suit my tastes. (I have no intention of releasing the mod unless I was asked for it for some reason) Adding Al, Gant, Tiena, an OC, and moving characters I want in my army sooner than later into an earlier chapter to be recruited.

Does this sound too "ambitious" for someone who won't be trying to put a whole lot of effort into learning how to hack? Or have advances in tools made it a lot easier not to mess up? I can make do with replacing existing characters for the ones I want in, but I mostly want the events to remain consistent. So I wouldn't replace for instance, Merlinus' portrait because then anytime Merlinus shows up in a cutscene, he's going to be using the replaced portrait. I've seen a reverse recruitment hack where they kept things consistent in this sense, but the actual characters' supports and such were tied to who was replaced rather than the replacement, (Karel would have Roy supports with Alan and Lance for example) and I want to totally replace the character instead.

Here is a list of things I want to do: (that I don't already know how to)

1. Move Lilina's recruitment to the first chapter, and if it's not a pain to do so, add a small event explaining why.
  2. Move Cecilia's recruitment to the end of Chapter 7 and replace Treck with my OC.
  3. Either add Al, Gant, and Tiena as completely new characters recruited in Chapter 12, or have them replace existing ones I won't care about who don't have any story involvement anyway.
  4. Have Douglas take Cecilia's place when Zephiel attacks in Chapter 13, and rewrite the event accordingly to excuse Cecilia being already in Roy's army.
  5. Recolor map palettes to be less saturated, create some battle palettes for the new characters, and replace some backgrounds with ones I've darkened in Photoshop.
  6. Create support conversations for the new characters.
  7. Increase Roy's level cap to 30 and remove his promotion. (The least necessary one but nice to do if I can)
Edited by Almirage

easy ! you just need to dow FEbuilder to do those things. Just have the original fe6 rom and fe 6 module. And u can mess around to make what u like. I really simple though. I have dow it a week ago, and easily understand it without any tutorial

All that sounds like it should be quite easy to do in Fire Emblem Builder. With the exception of upping Roy's level cap. I'm not sure if that's possible without significant effort as no units go to Level 30 in the GBA games. Making Roy be able to promote like a regular unit is more than possible though. You just have to add Lord to the class list of promoted items. If you don't want to interfere with the established promotion item distribution, you could make a unique promotion item for Roy and have him either begin the game with it or obtain it at a certain chapter.

Edited by Jotari

Sounds like a whole lot has happened since I was last aware of what hacking was like if there's a one size fits all tool going around for these tasks.

Making Roy capable of promoting earlier seems fine, but there's the forced promotion thing later on that occurs regardless. Is that event easily removed (alongside other events, if I'm going to bring these up) as well? If it's as simple as it seems to be said to be, I might put a little more effort into changing up events to better tell the story a lot more honestly. Plenty of other characters warrant showing up more often over Merlinus for Roy to talk to...

Edited by Almirage

On 2/11/2020 at 3:34 AM, Almirage said:

Sounds like a whole lot has happened since I was last aware of what hacking was like if there's a one size fits all tool going around for these tasks.

Making Roy capable of promoting earlier seems fine, but there's the forced promotion thing later on that occurs regardless. Is that event easily removed (alongside other events, if I'm going to bring these up) as well? If it's as simple as it seems to be said to be, I might put a little more effort into changing up events to better tell the story a lot more honestly. Plenty of other characters warrant showing up more often over Merlinus for Roy to talk to...

Yes the promotion event is simple to remove.

Editing events is pretty user friendly too.