I finally grabbed Three Houses

6 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

Any stats Raph is lagging in, that he actually needs, will be patched up by class bases as the game goes on. His growths aren't great, but 45% defense isn't terrible when a high base growth in this game tops out at around 60% for non-hp stats. He will be your main early game tank on all difficulties, because recruiting other students takes a few chapters. If Maddening can be beaten in 0% growths by abusing class bases, Raph can get by on any difficulty without needing to cross class into 8 different things to function. He requires no more investment than any other starting student, and doesn't really require babying either. 

His stat deficiencies don't really matter. He enters a bit of a power trough in the midgame, but everyone else is doing fine enough at that point for that to not matter. He can hit Warmaster a few chapters after the timeskip without much issue, even on Maddening. 

I guess the point of all of this is that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The biggest criticism of his kit is that his personal skill is literally worthless, but he can contribute a great deal without babying. 
What non-lord unit would you say doesn't need babysitting until advanced classes? Or, even better, give me another example of a unit that needs babying to get "good" in your eyes? Not Cyril, that one's too easy. 

Big deal. Even with lagging stats boosted to class bases, a schmuck with only two good stats is still a schmuck with only two good stats, right? Also, as far as early tanking, he compares unfavorably against Hilda, Byleth and Leonie, because - gasp - he's not even that tanky as to make up for his low speed. Even fucking Cyril felt easier to train than Raphael, because he is that damn unreliable on the battlefield.

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Big deal. Even with lagging stats boosted to class bases, a schmuck with only two good stats is still a schmuck with only two good stats, right? Also, as far as early tanking, he compares unfavorably against Hilda, Byleth and Leonie, because - gasp - he's not even that tanky as to make up for his low speed. Even fucking Cyril felt easier to train than Raphael, because he is that damn unreliable on the battlefield.

On Maddening Leonie gets doubled about half the time, and when she gets double she nearly dies--like the rest of the cast. Raph's HP helps mitigate that eventuality. 
But I'm not going to waste time with this any longer--you're focusing on deficiencies in certain stats without thinking about how the stats he does haveare utilized naturally and powerfully. I'd forgotten how you weave your brand of snark into any discussion, it's tiring. 

tl;dr Raph is fine. He's mid-tier at best, but that's still fine, he fills his role well with very little needed planning and attention. 

45 minutes ago, Mandokarla said:

On Maddening Leonie gets doubled about half the time, and when she gets double she nearly dies--like the rest of the cast. Raph's HP helps mitigate that eventuality. 
But I'm not going to waste time with this any longer--you're focusing on deficiencies in certain stats without thinking about how the stats he does haveare utilized naturally and powerfully. I'd forgotten how you weave your brand of snark into any discussion, it's tiring. 

tl;dr Raph is fine. He's mid-tier at best, but that's still fine, he fills his role well with very little needed planning and attention. 

Sure. If by "eventually" you really mean "never", that is, because his high HP means fuck all when everything and their grandma doubles him and his defense ain't good enough to make up for that. Crippling overspeciization is a very bad thing, you know...

Edited by Shadow Mir

Eventuality =/= eventually. They have different meanings. But I said I'd leave, and now that I've addressed the reading comprehension issue in the room I will do so. 

To OP, use whoever you want. Everyone is usable and decent, and I advocate for sticking to the house students with no subs on the first run of each route, but it's your game and there is no "right" way to play. Have fun!

On 2/11/2020 at 7:00 PM, Glennstavos said:

Every unit in Three Houses is unconditionally useable unless the OP neglected to mention his first playthrough would be on Maddening.

Even then, I wouldn't tell him what units to use unless he asked for such advice. Part of enjoying a new fire emblem is discovering for yourself what works. 

Couldn't've said it better myself. Thanks to @eclipse too. Part of the beauty of Fire Emblem (Three Houses especially, but it's true of every title) is how many ways there are to play. I'm not opposed to debating unit strength and viability, but when it turns to telling others how they should play, it tends to kill the joy of the game.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Couldn't've said it better myself. Thanks to @eclipse too. Part of the beauty of Fire Emblem (Three Houses especially, but it's true of every title) is how many ways there are to play. I'm not opposed to debating unit strength and viability, but when it turns to telling others how they should play, it tends to kill the joy of the game.

Yep.  It's also a bit of RNG, since some units can turn out amazing, given enough blessed levels.  3H is really loose when it comes to classes, since weapons aren't as restricted as most other games in the series (if you want a Falcoknight with an axe, there's nothing in-game that will prevent you from doing it).

9 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Ok, I just got through Seteth and Flayn's paralogue, and wow, that came so out of left field. Easily the best twist so far. Also, the Ball was fun. It was a nice break from all the harrowing terror of the last couple chapters.

actually, there are lots of hints of their relationship even before the paralogue, but it's easy to miss them

on a second playthrough you'll notice them right away tho

2 minutes ago, AxelVDP said:

actually, there are lots of hints of their relationship even before the paralogue, but it's easy to miss them

on a second playthrough you'll notice them right away tho

It came by as a fleeting thought every once in a while, but I was a quite protective olser brother, so I just accepted that about Seteth. I'm just happy the game tried to humanize him, as I liked him but I could tell the game was telling you not to like him, but his relationship with Flayn is much more interesting now.

10 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

It came by as a fleeting thought every once in a while, but I was a quite protective olser brother, so I just accepted that about Seteth. I'm just happy the game tried to humanize him, as I liked him but I could tell the game was telling you not to like him, but his relationship with Flayn is much more interesting now.

I'm glad you're coming to like Seteth! He's one of my favorites in the game, I find his dialogue and voice-acting both spot-on. Great relationships and supports, too.

13 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'm glad you're coming to like Seteth! He's one of my favorites in the game, I find his dialogue and voice-acting both spot-on. Great relationships and supports, too.

Yeah, as I said before I could relate to him, but he's quickly become one of my favorite charcters in general. He just seems like a skeptical, yet caring father, like most I've met.