Yup, first weekend for me. My friend and I are expecting to shitpost about it relentlessly. That reminds me, I need to cook up some bets.

I'm expecting an extremely average film with one awkward sequence that people won't shut up about that somehow indicates the movie's overall quality. Like a throwaway joke about Sonic once having tried to have intimate relations with some of Earth's real life animals. Or Sonic holding up a sign to Eggman that reads "Blue Lives matter" and everybody in the theater collectively groans.

33 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yup, first weekend for me. My friend and I are expecting to shitpost about it relentlessly. That reminds me, I need to cook up some bets.

I'm expecting an extremely average film with one awkward sequence that people won't shut up about that somehow indicates the movie's overall quality. Like a throwaway joke about Sonic once having tried to have intimate relations with some of Earth's real life animals. Or Sonic holding up a sign to Eggman that reads "Blue Lives matter" and everybody in the theater collectively groans.

Nah, let's do some Sonichu level cringe with Sonic jokes

I wanna see the shitfest from that XD

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

oh heck does it come out then?

Probably won't see it. We'll see.

I await memes.

Yup, Valentine's Day. Best first date movie ever.

Let's keep throwing beloved game franchises at the wall in hopes that one cinema movie finally turns out to be al dente. Maybe that'll be the Mario movie in the works, if there is one?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Let's keep throwing beloved game franchises at the wall in hopes that one cinema movie finally turns out to be al dente. Maybe that'll be the Mario movie in the works, if there is one?

What, are the ones we have already not good enough?

Wait, there's another one planned? Huh, interesting...

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What, are the ones we have already not good enough?

Wait, there's another one planned? Huh, interesting...

*Double checks*

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/mario_is_heading_to_the_silver_screen_with_help_from_the_studio_behind_minions

Yep. Illumination is hopefully up to the task. It's been two years since that article, and it seem like things are still tentative.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/miyamoto_explains_why_illumination_was_chosen_for_the_upcoming_mario_movie

"We’ve talked together and share the feeling that if we can’t make something interesting we’ll just call it quits. But we’ve already met a number of times to hash out the screenplay, our talks together are progressing, and I hope to make an announcement once we’ve ironed out some things like the schedule."

-From Miyamoto.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*Double checks*

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/mario_is_heading_to_the_silver_screen_with_help_from_the_studio_behind_minions

Yep. Illumination is hopefully up to the task. It's been two years since that article, so it should be well into development now.

Yeah, Miyamoto was recently interviewed about it which definitely confirms it's still real. I call Miyamoto a lot of things, but not a liar. I still believe Pikmin 4 is "wrapping up development" , even though it's been five years and no such game has been announced.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought Detective Pikachu was pretty good.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yup, Valentine's Day. Best first date movie ever.

As you can see here, they already (kind of) DID make a mario movie! (I mean it was a game, but it was only worth playing to watch the cutscenes.)

Good luck on your date!

If I can find the time, I'll watch the movie. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until it gets to the rerun theatre in a few months.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, Benice said:

As you can see here, they already (kind of) DID make a mario movie! (I mean it was a game, but it was only worth playing to watch the cutscenes.)

You've never heard of the 90's SMB film with Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo?

Anyway, I went and saw the film as I said earlier and I liked it. It wasn't as good as Detective Pikachu, but it was good, definitely better than what I was expecting. The one thing I wasn't fond of was his origin story at the very beginning, which I felt was very rushed, and not explained very well.

Does it reflect poorly on me if I'm a little bit disappointed its not the giant trainwreck everyone expected it would be? 

In any case well job Sega. Everyone was laughing at the movie the moment it was announced.  Then Sega did some much needed tinkering with Sonic's design which was universally seen as an improvement over the hideous monster they had first, and now people seem to think the movie is at the very least decent. Its actually a pretty sweet story of things turning out well despite the odds.   

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Huh.

Spoiler
  • Truthfully, the best parts of the movie for me were those first five minutes on Earth. The turtle sequence is so excellent, I love the idea of Sonic using Donut Lord's speedometer to go for new speed records, and seeing that Sonic's favorite super hero is also my favorite super hero makes me like him, I'll say it.
  • There's some plot holes that I think are hard to ignore. I hate to nitpick that sort of thing, but the road trip was 100% unnecessary. Donut Lord disposed of his phone anyway to avoid tracking, but if he just handed it to Sonic with Google Maps open, then Sonic would know exactly where to go. It's a famous building, Sonic can run up walls, done deal. The credits scene also bugs me since Sonic implies he has never had a real friend, but here's his good buddy Tails crossing dimensions searching for him? And finally, is Sonic's home planet really so dangerous he can never return? Yeah, he was almost killed as a baby, but the planet can't be all murderers right? We know from Sonic games that other furry animals from that world idolize Sonic, so I don't believe that everybody would be out to get him just because he's unique. Give us more to go on. I totally understand Sonic being reluctant to leave Earth, but being dead set on the mushroom planet just seems totally illogical.
  • And speaking of friendships, the relationship between Donut Lord and Sonic was totally unbelievable. I don't see what Donut Lord gets out of this relationship, especially with his life ruined within a few hours of meeting Sonic. Donut Lord's wife is also really cool about Sonic's existance, so they could have written in these two bonding over small stuff for a couple weeks before the road trip. While I'm glad they didn't add some contrived drama between our leads to force them to split up and realize how much they need each other, this alternative just feels lazy.
  • There's some well written dialogue sequences in this film. I can't remember any quips while writing this, but I remember chortling at a punch line here or there.
  • While it doesn't cohere with any of the source material, I like Sonic's command over lightning. Sonic does not have super strength in the film and his hair isn't supernaturally pointy, so Robotnik's Badniks can remain a constant threat against somebody who can only run fast. An electrically charged spin dash as a move feels much more convincingly powerful than Sonic just rolling into a ball and jumping on somebody. The detail of it only activating when Sonic is under emotional stress sounds a bit too convenient for the writers, but since Sonic never fails to call upon this power in a time of need, it never gets taken away just for the sake of building tension. I have to commend the movie for that.

I also made a bunch of bets with a friend the previous night, so let's see how well I did:

1. Chaos emeralds do not appear in the movie. Nailed it. There was always a possibility that a big chunk of this movie took place on Sonic's planet (since trailers show us an adult Sonic on his planet which is cut footage), so I feel like this bet had serious potential to fail.
  2. There are no less than two Fast and Furious references. I only counted one.
  3. Big the Cat after Credits scene. Before anybody calls me out for memeing, this movie did have Sanic make an appearance. Suffice to say I did expect at least a small reference to Tails, so I wanted to go a bit deeper with the bet. After credits scenes are typically jokes just as much as they are teases for sequels.
  4. Jim Carrey in full Eggman costume for less than a minute. Okay, this is tricky. The outfit itself was there for all of the final act. But the bald head and longer mustache didn't come out until the last twenty seconds before credits. Since I specifically used the word "costume" I think we can say this is a bust. Should have thought harder about this one.
  5. Brief, uncomfortable joke about Sonic being attracted to a real life animal. I'm glad this didn't come true.
  6. "Gotta Go Fast" uttered exactly one time. That freaking little girl, how dare she ruin this bet? We were golden before the finale.
  7. Sonic is a wingman for one of the side characters. Unfortunately, the only characters Sonic ever interacts with are married, so no. Detective Pikachu fell into this trope, but not Sonic? Surprising.
  8. Sonic makes a Jim Carrey reference to Jim Carrey. I can't even think of a Jim carrey reference at all in this film. But Sonic and Robotnik only exchange about two lines of dialogue, so this one didn't have much of a chance.
  9. Sonic is seen playing Sega Genesis. Nope.
  10. The human male lead introduces chili dogs to Sonic. Seeing this bet fail makes me want to flip a table. Sonic DOES try out chili dogs for the first time, but offscreen and through no encouragement by Donut Lord. Unbelievable.
  11. The Ring Portals take you wherever you want to go (with no established rules). Technically there is a rule that you have to know about a place before you can teleport there, but that doesn't contradict the statement. You can't want to go somewhere if you don't know about somewhere's existence.
  12. Dr. Robotnik turns his assistant into a robot. No, he turned his assistant into a rock, if anything. Kind of odd this didn't come true huh? Robotnik's first lines of dialogue are pointing out why robots are better than humans, but we never know what happens to the assistant.
  13. The big lesson for Sonic is that he just needs to slow down a bit. Nope. I can't even pinpoint a single lesson Sonic comes out of this story with besides "It's nice to have friends", but he knew the value of friends the whole time so it's not really a "lesson" or facet of character growth.
  14. Sonic almost fucking drowns. The scene where he comes back wet doesn't give us any speculation on if he came close to drowning. In fact, I'm surprised the movie didn't make any deal at all about Sonic's stereotypical hatred/weakness to water or inability to swim. It just never comes up as a plot element. Surprising right?

So altogether I get one out of fourteen bets correct. That is outrageously bad.

7.1 out of 10. But it's swimming in sevens. Y'know, like coming across a dinky pool, but you're just happy to jump right in.

Hey so every time Sonic did that dance where he swings his arms side to side, some kids behind me were like "OHHHHHH". Is that some kind of reference I'm missing?

Well, I knew I wasn't gonna watch it on premier day... but it seems it won't be this weekend either. Anyway...

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Hey so every time Sonic did that dance where he swings his arms side to side, some kids behind me were like "OHHHHHH". Is that some kind of reference I'm missing?

I can only think of this, from Fortnite:

Resultado de imagen de Fortnite The Floss gif

Was he moving like that?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, I knew I wasn't gonna watch it on premier day... but it seems it won't be this weekend either. Anyway...

I can only think of this, from Fortnite:

Resultado de imagen de Fortnite The Floss gif

Was he moving like that?

Yeah, it was exactly that. Of COURSE it would be fortnite.