So I created Edelgard for Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition

Darkmoon6789

I went with a variant human with the inspiring leader feat, and a skill proficiency in performance of due to political speeches and canonically being skilled at dancing.

Made her of a fighter with the eldritch knight archetype to represent her talent for martial combat and magic, with the great weapon fighting style.

Chaotic good alignment (mostly basing this on the crimson flower Edelgard, I think it is appropriate because she wants to tear down an established system for reasons she thinks will benefit the people). Deity: atheist (will not follow deity and dislike organised religion)

Picked the noble background for proficiency in persuasion and history.

Her ability scores focused mainly on strength, charisma and intelligence in that order, with a bad ability score in wisdom (or being bad in the faith skill and making some questionable decisions sometimes)

As for class proficiencies, I went with athletics and intimidation. I also picked up great weapon master as a feat on level 4

As for personality traits, ideals and bonds, I went with the following:

Personality Trait: Idealistic: while born of nobility, Edelgard doesn't look down on commoners, she is often compassionate towards others unless they stand in the way of her ideals Or pose a threat to other people.

Personality Trait: Dislike of Traditions: Edelgard feels that many traditions exist only to oppress and control the masses and stand in the way of true freedom and equality.

Ideal: Meritocracy: positions of power should be earned, not inherited.

Bond: Evil Uncle: Edelgard's father was ousted from power, she was kept imprisoned by her uncle for years until eventually escaping.

Flaw: By any means necessary: while highly idealistic, Edelgard doesn't shy any means in overthrowing oppression. If a few people need to be sacrificed for the needs of the many, so be it. Edelgard often prioritise her ideology over even her own life

I do plan to role-play Edelgard as a rabble-rouser seeking to rally the common people against the nobility in order to establish a new and in her eyes a more equal society. Using a disguise as the masked vigilante known as the Flame Emperor to punish corrupt nobility.

So what do you people think? I have seen a lot of people argue that Edelgard should be a Conquest Paladin, but I don't think that any kind of holy magic really works with Edelgard, so I think her spells should be arcane

Have anyone else here ever created a character from three houses as a Dungeons & Dragons character? What class do you think that Claude, Dimitri and the rest would be?

Edelgard DnD.pdf

Ah yes, adapting characters into Dungeons & Dragons, the pastime all tabletop gamers inevitably engage in. I've though about how to adapt Fire Emblem characters into D&D 5e before, but because FE puts so much emphasis on weapons most attempts to translate it's mechanics end up as a variation on the Fighter. Since Dimitri and Claude aren't inherently skilled at magic they're probably best represented in the mechanics as Battle Masters, Combat Maneuvers like Commanding Strike and Rally are great for making them feel like they are leaders of armies and not just another fighter.

I did see a YouTuber make Dimitri a vengeance Paladin and Barbarian multiclass, that sort of makes sense, sure if that would work better than a battle master fighter. There are quite a few characters that would be some variation of fighter, Claude is mostly an archer, but that can also be accomplished with fighter.  I have seen suggestions of Edelgard as a conquest Paladin,  but it is strange for her to have divine spells, considering her low faith skill, I am also uncertain if she should have this low insight, but I needed to dumpstat something and wisdom made the most sense. Edelgard should also probably have proficiency in deception, but I felt it was less important than some other skills.  

I think I would also make Rhea a cleric of war, unless I can find a domain that is more fitting. Probably an Aasimar. 

Edited by Darkmoon6789
spelling error

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

Rhea is a level 1 commoner whit 20+HD of dragon.

I meant as a player character, but as an NPC, I would probably go with some kind of variation of ancient white dragon, probably with high-level clerical spells and shape shifting. Would make for a epic high-level boss fight for any party. Probably lawful neutral in alignment, but lawful good could be justified with the same argument I use to classify Edelgard as chaotic good, intentions matters a lot more than actions in the Dungeons & Dragons when it comes to good or evil alignment, therefore, any character motivated by doing what they think is best for other people are always of good alignment. It is why a paladin can slaughter any number of enemies while retaining their alignment as long as they believe the people they kill are evil. Evil alignment actually requires a character to be motivated purely by self-interest, which doesn't describe Rhea or Edelgard.

9 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

I have seen suggestions of Edelgard as a conquest Paladin,  but it is strange for her to have divine spells, considering her low faith skill, I am also uncertain if she should have this low insight, but I needed to dumpstat something and wisdom made the most sense

First, in 5e a Paladin's power comes from their oath and the strength of their convictions, rather than belief in a god. Say what you will about her, but she has some of the most unshakable beliefs in 3H.

Second, while a really bad idea for a frontline fighter, given her shortened lifespan due to Slither's experiments, I would actually say Constitution as her dump stat.

5 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

First, in 5e a Paladin's power comes from their oath and the strength of their convictions, rather than belief in a god. Say what you will about her, but she has some of the most unshakable beliefs in 3H.

Second, while a really bad idea for a frontline fighter, given her shortened lifespan due to Slither's experiments, I would actually say Constitution as her dump stat.

True, but the last time I ran a front line fighter with constitution as the dumbstat they died in the first session. Not making that mistake again. 

It is true that Edelgard's convictions are extremely strong and that could be either justifiable reason to run Paladin. But I have a hard time finding an oath that actually suits her without making custom tenets. Oath conquest might sound good on paper, but in reality its tenants aren't entirely right for Edelgard (and oath of devotion also definitely don't work). The oath I think suits her. The best is the oath of liberation, which is third-party content

The main reason I made Edelgard a eldritch knight is that I wanted a build that reflects both her skill in martial combat and aptitude for arcane magic. 

I can tell you more about what context this version of Edelgard exists in in the campaign world. If you are interested, it is rather different from three houses in some key ways. But I have been trying to stay as close to her personality, motivation and ideals as possible

17 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

I can tell you more about what context this version of Edelgard exists in in the campaign world. If you are interested, it is rather different from three houses in some key ways. But I have been trying to stay as close to her personality, motivation and ideals as possible

Sure. It's bound to be more complex than how I introduced Caspar (it's called the Forgotten Realms, so they FORGOT that Fodlan is part of it. That was my entire justification).

8 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Sure. It's bound to be more complex than how I introduced Caspar (it's called the Forgotten Realms, so they FORGOT that Fodlan is part of it. That was my entire justification).

Well, my DM has a unique campaign world. What is relevant to this story is the human kingdom of Eldena and the elven empire of Sikkam, two nations who has been at war for a long time(Edelgard didn,t start the war this time) Edelgard in this reality was born a daughter a noble in Eldena. Her father was deposed by her uncle (Arundel) and she was imprisoned for years while he used her as a test subject for rituals from the book of shadows. 

The book of shadows has been a big deal preiviously in this campaign as it was the source of power for my preivious character, Isabel Blacklight, a warlock of the great old ones. She was a thief who stole it from a noble in Eldena, which retroactively was decided to have been Arundel. Isabel died in a recent encounter so only the book remain.

Edelgard was freed by Isabel the night she stole the book and fled to Sikkam to seek refugue. She was inspired by the political system in Sikkam, a meritocracy in the same vein as the one she wanted to create in the game, enforced by the elven emperor. Comparing this system to the abuse of power she experienced in Eldena, Edelgard was inspired to bring this superior political system to Eldena.

She returned to Eldena and became the Flame Emperor, a masked vigilante intent on spreading the word of the corruption of Eldena's polictical system and rally the population against the crown.

One of her early allies was a paladin of redemption named Glory Blaze, who was a former war veteran who abandoned the millitary because of her family's war profitering. Glory saw promise in Edelgard and the world she could bring about, as her rebellion could end the centuaries old conflict and allow Glory to reform the holy knightly order she left to better serve the purposes of her goddess. 

Edelgard and Glory has just joined forces with the other player characters, a human swashbuckler named Wesley and an elven druid named Sharom

Sorry if this was a bit long