New Heroes: The Dread Isle

DarthR0xas

Fiora may be disappointing as a pity-breaker, but she absolutely fits the Dread Isle theme. Pent hired her and her squad to investigate it, her squad was all killed there, and that's where you recruit her. She's one of the most fitting characters for a Dread Isle theme. More fitting for the theme than Rath and Heath for sure, as well as most of the rest of the cast.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Fiora may be disappointing as a pity-breaker, but she absolutely fits the Dread Isle theme. Pent hired her and her squad to investigate it, her squad was all killed there, and that's where you recruit her. She's one of the most fitting characters for a Dread Isle theme. More fitting for the theme than Rath and Heath for sure, as well as most of the rest of the cast.

Right, I forgot that chapter. Because it was a fog of war map and I loathe those.

8 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

That seems counter-intuitive. Compared to a non-colourshare banner, the extra cost is negligible. She might scare whales off from trying to +10 Nils and instead wait until he's rerun.

You can't really scare off whales, they don't care about who else they +10 along the way as long as they get the unit they want to +10. 

5 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Why are you disappointed with her? I thought you were a Fiora fan, dude. I'm not disappointed she's on this banner since I like her a lot, even though I wanted Sain and Wil a bit more. What I am disappointed in regarding her is that she's color sharing. >_<

Does color sharing actually lower the chances of getting a specific unit by a significant amount?

All this talk about it has me thinking that I should just save up for another banner with Nils on it.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Why are you disappointed with her? I thought you were a Fiora fan, dude. I'm not disappointed she's on this banner since I like her a lot, even though I wanted Sain and Wil a bit more. What I am disappointed in regarding her is that she's color sharing. >_<

Personally, I'm not disappointed that she's on the banner. I'm super happy Fiora proper is getting added to the game, and I will be 100% pleased if she shows up for me. I was just pointing out that while some people may not like her as a pity-breaker, she's still a very fitting character for the Dread Isle theme.

34 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

That's why I said "only barely". Nils and Leila (the two headliners) have the common thread of being on the Dread Isle because of the Black Fang, she has no connection to either of them. You could replace her with a random FE7 character and the theme wouldn't be any weaker, especially since there are already two random FE7 characters.

25 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Does color sharing actually lower the chances of getting a specific unit by a significant amount?

All this talk about it has me thinking that I should just save up for another banner with Nils on it.

No. When the game generates a focus unit, it picks one at random and then covers it up, regardless of the colour distribution.

But being on a three-unit banner is significantly better, since the base 3% focus rate is split three ways instead of four.

Edited by Baldrick

26 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Personally, I'm not disappointed that she's on the banner. I'm super happy Fiora proper is getting added to the game, and I will be 100% pleased if she shows up for me. I was just pointing out that while some people may not like her as a pity-breaker, she's still a very fitting character for the Dread Isle theme.

Oh okay, I see now. I don't have a lot of orbs right now, but I'm going to try to get her myself as well!

3 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

No. When the game generates a focus unit, it picks one at random and then covers it up, regardless of the colour distribution.

But being on a three-unit banner is significantly better, since the base 3% focus rate is split three ways instead of four.

Thanks. I figured color sharing couldn't have been that bad.

Yeah, I was checking on Callisto's appearance rate right now and the chances of pulling a summer Noire when sniping vs the chances of pulling a summer Takumi (who shared colors on his banner with Linde) when sniping had less than a 1% difference. It seems outdated judging by the examples I was going off of but I imagine it's still something I can reliably use as a reference. So yeah I'll stick to this banner after all instead of waiting.

43 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

That's why I said "only barely". Nils and Leila (the two headliners) have the common thread of being on the Dread Isle because of the Black Fang, she has no connection to either of them. You could replace her with a random FE7 character and the theme wouldn't be any weaker, especially since there are already two random FE7 characters.

It's way more than "only barely." The theme is characters who have connections to the Dread Isle, not "characters who connect to each other who also connect to the Dread Isle." Regardless, she's there because of the Black Fang as well because, again, Pent hired her to figure out what was going on there...which involved figuring out the Black Fang. Again, she's one of the most fitting characters in the entirety of Blazing Blade to go on a Dread Isle-themed banner.

41 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh okay, I see now. I don't have a lot of orbs right now, but I'm going to try to get her myself as well!

Yeah, for me, I win with blue orbs no matter what! Nils and Fiora are two of my most wanted characters, so, either of them coming to my barracks is a big win.

3 hours ago, Zeo said:

I still want him because I've always preferred him to his sister even if she's become a staple for my Morgan team in heroes. Do want.

Saaaaaaaaame. (Except replace "Morgan team" with "all-purpose Dragon team.")

I wish you could choose between them in FE7 when both are around instead of the game kind of forcing you to use Ninian. This is where Heroes makes dreams come true. Finally, I can bench the lady and field the cute one however often I want!

5 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Saaaaaaaaame. (Except replace "Morgan team" with "all-purpose Dragon team.")

I wish you could choose between them in FE7 when both are around instead of the game kind of forcing you to use Ninian. This is where Heroes makes dreams come true. Finally, I can bench the lady and field the cute one however often I want!

Maybe the eventual FE7 remake will do that along with giving Nils some much needed supports.

6 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Maybe the eventual FE7 remake will do that along with giving Nils some much needed supports.

Oh man I want Nils supports too.

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

"characters who connect to each other who also connect to the Dread Isle."

That's how single-game theme banners, as opposed to fill-the-foster banners, have always worked.

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Again, she's one of the most fitting characters in the entirety of Blazing Blade to go on a Dread Isle-themed banner.

Of the characters that do fit, she's among the least fitting. Hence, only barely.

They had no problem omitting more fitting characters and adding Rath and Heath for whatever reason. So, I'm at a loss as to why she was added.

With the voice IS gave her which is not that well received + colour sharing with one of the most popular characters from FE7 in a new banner + being a blue lance flier + having base form being added in before other alt only Heroes that are arguably more popular....it's almost like they're trying to make Fiora disliked.

35 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

That's how single-game theme banners, as opposed to fill-the-foster banners, have always worked.

Of the characters that do fit, she's among the least fitting. Hence, only barely.

They had no problem omitting more fitting characters and adding Rath and Heath for whatever reason. So, I'm at a loss as to why she was added.

No...no it isn't.

Not really. I'd argue Leila is least fitting, since the Black Fang don't operate solely on the Dread Isle and are scattered throughout Elibe; she could go to any base of operations, like the snowy place where Sonia is seen talking with Reed. Fiora, on the other hand, was SPECIFICALLY supposed to be at the Dread Isle. Just because Leila [REDACTED] there doesn't suddenly elevate her status in this...Fiora literally watched her whole squad get wiped out there.

Because she's thematically fitting in literally every way?

I don't know what else to say about this. This isn't even a subjective issue, you are objectively wrong about this. You learn Fiora was supposed to be specifically at the Dread Isle in her supports with Pent. You recruit her there. Her entire story arc starts there, and all the major events that happen to her happen there. Fiora is beyond fitting for a Dread Isle theme. That's it. Full stop.

3 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

No...no it isn't.

Not really. I'd argue Leila is least fitting, since the Black Fang don't operate solely on the Dread Isle and are scattered throughout Elibe; she could go to any base of operations, like the snowy place where Sonia is seen talking with Reed.

Why would she go anywhere except where Eliwood's father is. She is investigating his disappearance, remember? She's also the one who informs EHL of Elbert's whereabouts.

What can we say about Fiora's mission? She gives some kind of report to Pent, but we don't know what it's about. Pent doesn't seem to have been aware of the Black Fang or the Dragon's Gate when he commissioned her.

Fiora, on the other hand, was SPECIFICALLY supposed to be at the Dread Isle. Just because Leila [REDACTED] there doesn't suddenly elevate her status in this...Fiora literally watched her whole squad get wiped out there.

We learn a lot more about Leila's mission than Fiora's, including what she was trying to achieve and why it is related to other parties at the Dread Isle. Indeed, this is pretty much all we know about her apart from her being in a relationship with Matthew.

Her entire story arc starts there, and all the major events that happen to her happen there.

Her childhood in Ilia, looking after her two sisters and preparing to become a mercenary. The climate of Ilia that makes growing food and finding work difficult instills her with a sense of duty to her people, and a strong discipline. Yet she is still idealistic, and often acts according to her emotion when dealing with her sisters, her comrades and her employers. She has a lot of interesting supports.

But apparently it's objectively wrong to think any of that matters, her entire character is comprised of a mission we know nothing about and its disastrous failure.

Edited by Baldrick

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

It's been a long time since you've read the dialogue, huh? She goes to the place where Eliwood's father. Because she is investigating his disappearance. She's been a Black Fang member for several months (there's even the implication she was spying on them before Elbert disappeared). She's also the one who informs EHL of Elbert's whereabouts.

Plus, she's deep undercover, not a true Fang. She's actually an Ostian spy, just like Matthew.

Honestly, though, I don't know what would constitute as "fitting" for a Dread Isle banner. My first thought is "locals/people from there" but, well... The closest I can think of are Nergal/his crew, and the Black Fang, the latter of which was already focused on. Maybe Dart/Fargus. Ninian and Nils kind of count, too. Potentially also Elbert. Of these groups, I'd say Leila fits. Her mission primarily took place there, after all. I don't know much about the pegasus trio (besides Florina) so I can't really speak to them, though. They were never interesting to me and I've never played Hector Hard Mode. (Speaking of all this, though, I should maybe finish my current FE7 run someday. I'm seriously like...2 chapters away from beating it... MVP's are Lucius, Florina and, of course, Hector.)

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

Honestly, though, I don't know what would constitute as "fitting" for a Dread Isle banner. My first thought is "locals/people from there" but, well...

Renault lives there. Kishuna, too, though it'd be a challenge to implement him.

It's the climax for both the first arc and the game, the first and last encounter with Nergal. Ninian and Nils entered Elibe through the Dragon's Gate, and chapter 19xx provides another good reason. Leila might as well stay as the obligatory busted female unit, nobody else really stands out to me to complete the banner.

I would have something like Nils, Renault, Leila, Elbert, Nergal GHB.

6 hours ago, Baldrick said:

What can we say about Fiora's mission? She gives some kind of report to Pent, but we don't know what it's about. Pent doesn't seem to have been aware of the Black Fang or the Dragon's Gate when he commissioned her.

This is irrelevant. Pent knew something bad was happening on the Dread Isle, and thus hired Fiora to investigate. You don't any other info about it because the game makes it clear that the something wrong was Nergal.

Her childhood in Ilia, looking after her two sisters and preparing to become a mercenary. The climate of Ilia that makes growing food and finding work difficult instills her with a sense of duty to her people, and a strong discipline. Yet she is still idealistic, and often acts according to her emotion when dealing with her sisters, her comrades and her employers. She has a lot of interesting supports.

Again, irrelevant. Leila has a life and childhood that began off the Dread Isle, too, and her relationship with Matthew didn't start on the Dread Isle. You're just describing something that applies to EVERY character. As far as Fiora's actual story arc in Blazing Blade is concerned, it starts at the Dread Isle.

But apparently it's objectively wrong to think any of that matters, her entire character is comprised of a mission we know nothing about and its disastrous failure.

1. That's not what I said. I said you're wrong in that she "barely fits." Which, again, you are. Nice job trying to put words in my mouth, though!

2. You're kinda arguing that Leila's mission is one of the main things that qualifies her for the theme, so, to then turn around and say this about Fiora is strange.

3. Again, we do know a bit about it. The game tells us everything the player needs to know. There's a plethora of things that are told simply with the info you need and not bogged down by over-explaining, or exposition.

10 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

You know what would be nice? A Pirate-themed banner. Dart, Farina, Xander, Fargus, Jake, and I'm sure there's others that'd fit.

Why Xander? He's not a pirate in the slightest, nor is he even from FE7. Wouldn't Geitz make much more sense?

1 minute ago, Gregster101 said:

Why Xander? He's not a pirate in the slightest, nor is he even from FE7. Wouldn't Geitz make much more sense?

In a DLC that wasn't released in the US, Xander dresses as a Pirate during a festival. It's where we get Maid!Kagero, Vampire!Leo and Mummy!Setsuna from.

I also forgot about Geitz.

Just now, silverserpent said:

In a DLC that wasn't released in the US, Xander dresses as a Pirate during a festival. It's where we get Maid!Kagero, Vampire!Leo and Mummy!Setsuna from.

I also forgot about Geitz.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Fates DLC that for some reason wasn't localized

Geitz is pretty dope