Unexpected Class Choices that work?

Cavalier -> Paladin Hubert.

Lances are a budding talent, while he's neutral in Riding. He gets Frozen Lance from his Budding Talent, giving him 8-range magical offense from Intermediate tier. He can do a ton of damage with higher-might lances, like Steel+, Crescent Sickle, and Horseslayer (against cavalry). And this is only enhanced by Lancefaire from Paladin. And when he gets the CF-near-exclusive Arrow of Indra, he'll have ranged magical Lancefaire-boosted offense on horseback. He was just so fun to use this way.

I unlocked Edelgard's budding talent in reason early on and went with monk, mage, dancer and then mortal savant.

She turned out to be a great martial and magic hybrid character, with sword dance being really useful thanks to her ridiculous charisma

Probably not better than axe and heavy armor Edelgard, but she is probably the only house leader who can do decently as a spellcaster

3 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

I unlocked Edelgard's budding talent in reason early on and went with monk, mage, dancer and then mortal savant.

She turned out to be a great martial and magic hybrid character, with sword dance being really useful thanks to her ridiculous charisma

Probably not better than axe and heavy armor Edelgard, but she is probably the only house leader who can do decently as a spellcaster

With the new DLC out, I can see Edelgard working fabulously as a Valkyrie since it gives her Dark Magic a boost as well.

4 hours ago, iavasechui said:

Magical Girl Hilda was pretty fun raining down four bolting a map

I'm gonna make magical Hilda someday, I swear it. But not giving her fire spells seems like a real missed opportunity. 

5 hours ago, Cysx said:

Pretty big fan of Assassin Lysithea

Soulblade, and Levin Sword+, with 6 movement and innate Swordfaire, are no jokes.

12 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

To be real, just about every version of Edelgard is better than Axe and Heavy Armor Edelgard. Her personal promotions are just atrocious, IMO. Planning to run her as a Wyvern, or something magical, when next I do CF.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'm gonna make magical Hilda someday, I swear it. But not giving her fire spells seems like a real missed opportunity.

On that note, can I please take a moment to complain about how Dorothea gets entirely thunderstorm-related spells (meaning lightning and wind), but then gets Meteor instead of the more thematically-appropriate Bolting? I can't be the only one who thinks that's weird, right?

As others have mentioned, mages in physical classes which flex their combat art are absolutely legitimate choices, especially if the mage's reason/faith lists aren't so hot.

For physical characters there's basically no such thing as a bad flier or bow knight, no matter how inappropriate you might think someone is for it. Particular shout-out for Dedue. What's that, he's weak in flying? Doesn't matter, he's still ridiculous as Wyvern Rider/Lord since it patches up his speed, and the only thing the bane really means is he has a lot more trouble getting Alert Stance+ which he doesn't need anyway.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

58 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

On that note, can I please take a moment to complain about how Dorothea gets entirely thunderstorm-related spells (meaning lightning and wind), but then gets Meteor instead of the more thematically-appropriate Bolting? I can't be the only one who thinks that's weird, right?

I'm kind of conflicted on this point. On the one hand, I like the idea of thematic consistency, of a unit specializing in one magic type. On the other hand, I like variety in spell lists, and think a "stay in your lane" approach creates boring repeats.

Dorothea with Bolting would definitely be a bit better, since she could get up to 3 casts off (Warlock and Gremory are probably her best class options) while still keeping 1 in her dress pocket for linked attack bonuses.

Not sure if it came across, but Hilda with fire magic is a Genealogy callback.

27 minutes ago, Tombstone88 said:

-Bow Knight Mercedes.  It's really annoying to pull off, but having an 8 Movement, 4 Range magic attacker is good fun.

I've used her as a sniper, but with her magic bow+, she'd could get 5 range as a bow knight.

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

To be real, just about every version of Edelgard is better than Axe and Heavy Armor Edelgard. Her personal promotions are just atrocious, IMO. Planning to run her as a Wyvern, or something magical, when next I do CF.

I think wyvern Edelgard isn't unexpected at all. Her regular class on the other hand...

4 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Mortal Savant Felix and Petra. Really had fun with those especially since Reason is his budding Talent. 

Would Falcon Knight Hilda count?

I think Mortal Savant Catherine is more unexpected given her growth in Reason (Nothing New Game Plus cant fix XD) she was fun though

17 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Soulblade, and Levin Sword+, with 6 movement and innate Swordfaire, are no jokes.

And Stealth! And (mostly)maddening-proof speed, too.

Swordmaster anyone. Linhardt, Manuela, Dorothea, and Lysithea in particular did a lot better than I ever imagined. Between Levin and Soulblade the girls could hit pretty hard. Linhardt just stuck with a Rapier and made due. Dorothea almost reached her strength cap of 30. Just one point away from it.

8 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Swordmaster anyone. Linhardt, Manuela, Dorothea, and Lysithea in particular did a lot better than I ever imagined. Between Levin and Soulblade the girls could hit pretty hard. Linhardt just stuck with a Rapier and made due. Dorothea almost reached her strength cap of 30. Just one point away from it.

I never thought about giving Ferdinand Swordmaster till I saw his speed growth

This guy cleans maps

I made Lysithea a Fortress Knight to make her more able to take hits with Pavise and to raise her base defense. Here to report she is a terribad fortress knight, her low hp and defense means the enemy can cut through her like butter and her low strength means she can barley dent anything (on hard). She can master the class very quickly with the item that gives the extra job points and her passive. It is nice when Pavise triggers and saves her bacon, which triggers often (not that I try to let her take hits as a mage). It's probably better to avoid strength classes with her though lol.

I am trying to get everyone to a "B" in fist weapons so I can avoid carrying healing items or healers on maddening. It's worked out okay, although as you would expect I'm behind on class mastery because of the fist focus. It also makes it hard to hit some enemies reliably when you have a D or C in the weapon you're using  (in paralogs) around Remire Village time. They throw so many enemies at you, it's nice to find a good spot and healing focus and clear them out.Thankfully, my characters have all of their past lives skills that matter, so it helps balance out their weakness.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:53 PM, Scoot said:

Holy Knight Flayn is a beast. It's a little tough getting her there because of her riding weakness, but she hit like a truck in my VW playthrough. Similarly, Dark Knight Marianne.

I never thought I’d see “Holy Knight” and “beast” in the same sentence... especially when talking about a unit who only gets the heavy and weak Nosferatu to take advantage of White Tomefaire with.

Edited by Shadow Mir