Am I playing Path of Radiance wrong or do all of my units just suck?

I don’t know why but the only units who are reliably killing things right now are Boyd and Titania. Units like Oscar who are apparently really good, can’t even double anyone and even my Ike is hardly slaughtering thanks to all these damn lance users and can’t even kill an archer in one turn. Marcia is way to frail to even think about touching these enemies so I’m having to spoon feed her. It takes both Mia and Oscar teaming up on an enemy to get kills. Ilyana feels ridiculously pudgy and can’t really consistently kill anyone on her own, but I love her design and I really want to use her. Soren does pretty well against anyone I throw him at. I’m playing the game on normal mode. 

My main question is, am I somehow playing this wrong or screwed myself over somehow? Or is it just that I’m used to newer 3ds/switch title(s) in which all the killing happens during the player phase? I have heard a lot of people say that the majority of killing happens on the enemy phase in this game, but it’s just extremely frustrating that none of my units seem to be even denting these enemies consistently. I also don’t know what to do with all the units the game keeps handing me... Any advice would be appreciated.

Units like Oscar will need a BEXP level or three to be more reliable on EP (where most of the carnage happens).  Alas, Ilyana's not the best at being a dodgetank.

I suggest choosing a handful of units, and fully invest into them (Ike will take care of himself).

I don’t know exactly what chapter you’re on but judging by the post i’ll assume chapter 10. Ike takes a bit of time before he snowballs. By chapter 18 he should be one rounding enemies with stronger weapons like steel swords. Ilyana is worse than Soren on EP (and in general), but she can make for a decent nuke on PP. Marcia has a very rough start but can become good with some investment, and by the sounds of your oscar it seems you got unlucky with his levels. I’ve had an oscar that didn’t get any Str in the first 7 levels before and it wasn’t fun. Mia kind of struggles killing anyway without crits or a really good forge since her strength is low, shes more there to dodge and weake.

Don’t fret too much if your only good performers are Boyd, Soren and Titnaia, since it won’t take long until the game gives you another powerhouse and some Laguz, along with other good/ok units.

As Eclipse mentioned you also have bonus exp, any unit can make good use out of this and it will give them early levels to get them rolling.

Ike does take a while to get going. Also, you might want to cap his level before chapter 17; it’s a four-parter, and Ike will have his skill and speed halved in the last two parts. Mia tends to be rather weak; personally, I would recommend using Zihark instead if you really wanted a swordmaster. I know full well the pain of having a screwed Oscar. Ilyana is like most any other mage - she’s best sticking to the low-level magic until her strength picks up (unlike Soren, whose strength growth is virtually nonexistent, she does have some chance of getting it; by the way, strength determines your AS in this game, which is why I would recommend sticking to lighter weapons early on). Incidentally, I would just have her stick to thunder magic until promotion (in case you don’t know, promotion happens automatically after getting 100 experience at level 20).

Try to stick to a similar roster of characters, but don't be afraid to bench units, if you feel like they are getting RNG screwed or you find someone cooler you want to use. You'll keep getting new characters even in the later stages of the game.

Also normal mode generally gets pretty easy later on and no character is truly unusable, so don't feel bad about using your Waifus and Husbandos, even if they're not the best choice gameplay wise.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:15 PM, Dr. C said:

PEMN but Oscar getting RNG screwed has happened to me a bunch of times.

Personally I would dump a bunch of bonus experience on Marcia and transform her into a beast.

Her and Jill are roflstomping everyone lmao, but I mean tbh after my time in Begnion and ch. 17, everyone promoted and now the enemy army is a laughing stock. Although, I am playing on normal mode. I'm just glad I didn't choose easy mode.

9 hours ago, Smfthegeek said:

Her and Jill are roflstomping everyone lmao, but I mean tbh after my time in Begnion and ch. 17, everyone promoted and now the enemy army is a laughing stock. Although, I am playing on normal mode. I'm just glad I didn't choose easy mode.

Will second that.  You might've been in for a nasty surprise on later maps.