Jump to content
Florete

I like Fates more than Three Houses

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Don't most the girls have subtle differences? I don't think it's a bad thing to make them look different. Getting characters to stand out is something a lot of artists aspire towards, I think as well. Not trying to argue since you have fair points, but in one sense I also think that I would prefer her not to look exactly like Ingrid.

Let us leave Stripper Hat out of the discussion for now. I will try to give another example.

I have been following the release of the latest DLC, hoping that it would give me an excuse to give retry Three Houses. I have yet to read something positive about its gameplay, but I at least liked Constance’s look. Thus I decided to check various support conversations on YouTube, to know more about these new characters.

You know who was a refreshing surprise? Hapi!
God!, I love her voice actress and her humour; she is so sharp and spontaneous. It is a reason enough to try Shadows Whatever.

Now, do you know who look ridiculously out of place to me?... Well… cheerleader Hapi and the shirtless guy!

I do not know the story yet, but they are on a secret section of the monastery, right? Then why, just why would a student (as forgotten as he may be) walk around shirtless?! I just do not get it. It eludes me. Specially when Constance could easily pass as another student, and the pretty guy could fit in too. They all may have different backgrounds, but all their attires have motives that clearly resemble/ mimic those of the other houses. They are not dressing “casual”, those are their “uniforms”! So, why give us a shirtless guy in a tuxedo and a cheerleader?! What was the inspiration? The WWF?!

Nothing serious here, mate. I mean, I honestly dislike their designs, but I do not expect an argument about it.

I just wanted to show you how other designs make no sense to me, at all. I would have skipped the DLC because of the shirtless guy (mainly) and the cheerleader, were not because of Hapi’s voice actress. (I may still skip it, but Hapi’s voice will remain a guilty, very guilty pleasure.)

Edited by starburst
Clarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, starburst said:

Let us leave Stripper Hat out of the discussion for now. I will try to give another example.

I have been following the release of the latest DLC, hoping that it would give me an excuse to give retry Three Houses. I have yet to read something positive about its gameplay, but I at least liked Constance’s look. Thus I decided to check various support conversations on YouTube, to know more about these new characters.

You know who was a refreshing surprise? Hapi!
God!, I love her voice actress and her humour; she is so sharp and spontaneous. It is a reason enough to try Shadows Whatever.

Now, do you know who look ridiculously out of place to me?... Well… cheerleader Hapi and the shirtless guy!

I do not know the story yet, but they are on a secret section of the monastery, right? Then why, just why would a student (as forgotten as he may be) walk around shirtless?! I just do not get it. It eludes me. Specially when Constance could easily pass as another student, and the pretty guy could fit in too. They all may have different backgrounds, but all their attires have motives that clearly resemble/ mimic those of the other houses. They are not dressing “casual”, those are their “uniforms”! So, why give us a shirtless guy in a tuxedo and a cheerleader?! What was the inspiration? The WWF?!

Nothing serious here, mate. I mean, I honestly dislike their designs, but I do not expect an argument about it.

I just wanted to show you how other designs make no sense to me, at all. I would have skipped the DLC because of the shirtless guy (mainly) and the cheerleader, were not because of Hapi’s voice actress. (I may still skip it, but Hapi’s voice will remain a guilty, very guilty pleasure.)

I understand what you're saying, I just think from a graphical PoV, that everyone being the same would make it bland to look at. I can understand where your coming from as well, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just my opinion, but Male Byleth looks generic AF and I most likely won't even remember how he looks like in 10 years. 

And while I'm mixed on Female Byleth's design, I at least know I won't be forgetting it any time soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I think if Fates' supports were more developed and better written, Fates' cast could be more likable. There are many ideas that had potential but unfortunately fell short. Camilla and concubine wars, Nyx being cursed to not age, Charlotte being a non traditional gold digger + trying and failing to hide her brute side, Hayato losing both of his parents at a young age and how that forced him to grow up, Reina's obsession with death, Flora's insecurity and how the past haunts her, Shura's role in kidnapping Azura, Sakura's social anxiety etc. Unfortunately, the poor writing has caused most of these characters to turn into simple caricatures or a contradictory mess. 

If the character development was done with as much care and quality as TH's, I'd think Fates' characters would be a lot more well received and reflect the morally grey concept that Fates tried to do.

Not to belittle your point, but "if they were better written and more developed" would improve, well, any game with supports.

8 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

My reason for liking the Fates cast is purely gameplay related though.

Ah, pardon, not what I was after. I meant in terms of writing.

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Don't most the girls have subtle differences?

The guys do too. Raphael doesn't have a black shirt and neither does Felix I think. Ferdinand has a cravat, Linhardt has baggy pants, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thane said:

Not to belittle your point, but "if they were better written and more developed" would improve, well, any game with supports.

What I was inferring was that on paper, the characters of Fates are 10x more interesting than Three Houses’ cast. A handful of 3H’s casts’ characterisation revolves around the burden of having a crest (Ingrid, Sylvain, Marianne etc.), another handful is about the ‘duty’ of being a noble (Lorenz, Sylvain, Ferdinand...actually, pretty much all nobles touched on this topic at one point). You get the point. The characterization of TH’s cast can honestly get quite repetitive at times...name one trait and you can name a decent amount of characters that all share it.

Fates’ characters are more unique from one another which I appreciated. Obviously, people can also argue that the characters of Fates are more ‘tropey’ because of that.

The writing of Fates hindered its characterization though which is why I cant say I prefer Fates’ cast as a whole over TH’s cast. There are definitely individual characters from Fates that I like more though.

Edited by zuibangde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

You get the point. The characterization of TH’s cast can honestly get quite repetitive at times...name one trait and you can name a decent amount of characters that all share it.

This can also be a strength, as it often is in Three Houses. It can be used to cement important themes, like the Crest system, or tie characters together to a certain event, like the Tragedy of Duscur which has multiple characters dealing with the aftermath of it in radically different ways. 

As you said, and as Fates has proven many times, a good concept is not enough without proper execution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thane said:

The guys do too. Raphael doesn't have a black shirt and neither does Felix I think. Ferdinand has a cravat, Linhardt has baggy pants, etc.

Oh, your right, I suppose i just forgot. Nevermind me, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Sure, but Charlotte worked to get where she was, where Dorothea got the help for the opera company. Charlotte also seems to show a bit more regret when doing that to people, like when she starts rejecting Kaden’s gifts.

To be fair, Opera is not easy work and Dorothea did have to survive alone in the streets until she was discovered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

To be fair, Opera is not easy work and Dorothea did have to survive alone in the streets until she was discovered.

True, but Charlotte doesn't have adoring fans gifting her things either. Dorothea may have had a harder start but Charlotte grows more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

True, but Charlotte doesn't have adoring fans gifting her things either. Dorothea may have had a harder start but Charlotte grows more.

That's kinda hard to judge when their journeys aren't that comparable. Charlotte tries to scam to support her loving parents. Dorothea may have found some success earlier, but her problems stem from the culture of Crest society and a shitty father. There's a lot more to deal with than just financial insecurity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

y'see this is why I say comparing stories and characters like that is stupid and pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think comparisons can sometimes be useful to differntiate themes and how the characters work within the context of their own games but it's important to always keep that context in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

I think comparisons can sometimes be useful to differntiate themes and how the characters work within the context of their own games but it's important to always keep that context in mind.

Oh I definitely agree with that. I just dislike comparison in the way of saying one character is better than another because that character handles their issues and struggles in a way I find more agreeable. it's like comparing apples and oranges in that case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Oh I definitely agree with that. I just dislike comparison in the way of saying one character is better than another because that character handles their issues and struggles in a way I find more agreeable. it's like comparing apples and oranges in that case.

Yeah, those type of comparisons aren't always the best takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rose482 said:

This is just my opinion, but Male Byleth looks generic AF and I most likely won't even remember how he looks like in 10 years. 

And while I'm mixed on Female Byleth's design, I at least know I won't be forgetting it any time soon. 

Male ! Byleth creeps me the f out. It's got that whole emotionless look down perfectly, but too perfectly.

F ! Byleth seems to show some emotion. It's subtle, but it's there, but M! Byleth makes me miss Corrin a bit. Hate him or like him, at least he wasn't creepy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thane said:

This can also be a strength, as it often is in Three Houses. It can be used to cement important themes, like the Crest system, or tie characters together to a certain event, like the Tragedy of Duscur which has multiple characters dealing with the aftermath of it in radically different ways. 

As you said, and as Fates has proven many times, a good concept is not enough without proper execution. 

This. It's in fact good writing that recurring themes pop up across many characters. Most characters come from the same social class with similar burdens and general upbringing. I don't think the writing in 3H is flawless by any means, but it's a mile ahead of characters being defined by whether they dress up as a maid or look like a sexualized loli.

Edited by NolanBaumgartner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NolanBaumgartner said:

I don't think the writing in 3H is flawless by any means, but it's a mile ahead of characters being defined by whether they dress up as a maid or look like a sexualized loli.

Well said! Also, could you believe that there is this other game that has the option to dress the entire cast as maids, and where you can romance the green lolita that is in your head?!

Edited by starburst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, starburst said:

Also, could you believe that there is this other game that has the option to dress the entire cast as maids, [...]

I mean dressing up your students (this sounds wrong) is kinda something different, no? For one you have to go outta your way to do it, the costume itself is hideous if you ask me, the battle model doesn´t need to be affected by it... Whereas Felicias/Floras character artwork alone depicts them as maids (Combat animation is kinda cool though).

Also, I´m no Kobayashi, but the Fates maids look kinda like they are somewhat going in the direction of French Maid and seeing what that can mean today, I think that´s a whole ´nother story and a good point for me to stop talking about maids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2020 at 8:12 AM, Etheus said:

I respect your opinions, but I don't share them.

 

This. I dont share them at all. Fates was fun to play.....if you just skip the entirety of the story on any route. Gameplay wise, it was pretty versatile and Conquests maps were dope. Everything else? B i n. I t. *fog horn noise* I doubt ill be able to bring myself to replay Fates again. 

 

The only beef i have with 3H, is the maps needed more variety. I think this is why Cindered Shadows was so bomb, because the maps were all different. The main game tends to recycle maps far too much. The unique ones really stand out. (Massive shout out to ch 17 of CF *chef's kiss*) Other than that, and only a couple minor quibbles with some story stuff, 3H just roflstomps. It took a great deal to dethrone FE7 as my favorite in series. The characters and interaction with them is fucking superb on 3H. The game's world feels real and organic given the building of it. It has a real history thats super interesting. And of course, my boi Seteth. 3H gave me what Fates failed to deliver: A story about perspectives, and moral dilemmas in which no main character is truly in the wrong. Choices that matter, characters that feel real, and a place to explore that feels like a real location. And battalions. I got the Game of Thrones style narrative that i was hoping for, but never got in Fates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...boy starburst, you have some issues huh?

Right now I'm in the middle of my first playthrough but I can say at least this: I would come back to replay Three Houses. I'm unlikely to come back to Fates. Even the Same-sex S rank mod couldn't get me to finish Revelation. (And I...mostly enjoyed Birthright?)

I care more about the characters in Three Houses then I EVER did in Fates. For example, the only characters I cared about in the main plot was the little Sisters and that was only because they were the smartest characters. My favorite character not in the main plot is Charlotte. And this is before the Hyper-bolic Baby Chamber since god that is so dumb. (The characters are fine)

Gameplay is where things get complicated. In theory it should work, but in practice it mainly comes down to a couple of things: powering up Iron to +2 since it's mostly cheap and the other weapons demerits make them unwise to use mostly. Using stat backpacks because attacking supports is not that useful and the enemy generally out numbers you so they get attack supports.

Like many people said: The choice is a lie thanks to the 3rd route being the Golden route and buying your choice before you play it. There is one thing I must mention: If the Golden route was satisfying to go though, and didn't make the other routes pointless storywise, I wouldn't have minded it as much...but again: Pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 5:45 AM, starburst said:

Well said! Also, could you believe that there is this other game that has the option to dress the entire cast as maids, and where you can romance the green lolita that is in your head?!

You're shooting at the wrong goal. The problem isn't the presence of maid outfits or lolis, it's those things being the only notable aspects that can be ascribed to certain characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 3:45 AM, starburst said:

Well said! Also, could you believe that there is this other game that has the option to dress the entire cast as maids, and where you can romance the green lolita that is in your head?!

That's. . .quite the jump, since I don't think this was the point of the original comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eclipse said:

That's. . .quite the jump, since I don't think this was the point of the original comment.

An evil grin icon at the end of my comment might have helped set the tone.
I had not addressed the replies precisely because I do not want to make it bigger. I never expected a serious discussion about an irony (as failed as it might be in English.)

It already happened when I mentioned Dorothea. Yes, I dislike her design and I say that I hate her, but she is a joke to me, like killing Jakob in every campaign. I said that I did not play Black Eagles because of her, which is true, but there never was a dilemma for I already dislike Three Houses for other reasons. Hints like "hate at first sight" or never referring to her by her name probably got lost in translation.
I saw too late that I should not have spent time explaining why I dislike her, and I do not want it to happen again with this other comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3H reused way too much stuff between routes, which are already short to begin with. I genuinely believe that there are more unique maps between BR and CQ alone than all the routes in 3H. Which is important because 3H cost $60.00, which is same price you would've paid for BR and CQ combined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

3H reused way too much stuff between routes, which are already short to begin with. I genuinely believe that there are more unique maps between BR and CQ alone than all the routes in 3H. Which is important because 3H cost $60.00, which is same price you would've paid for BR and CQ combined.

I think there's more in a single version of Fates really. Counting stuff like a certain map on fire/not on fire and forest maps w/without fog of war as one each time, I believe 3H has 34 unique maps with paralogues included. Either of Br or Cq have 28 chapters and 13 children paralogues(shared + exclusives) + Mozu's.
3H's map models are more elaborate though, and bigger as well since every tile is much wider. Logically every single map took more work, so it might not be the most fair of comparisons.

Edited by Cysx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...