• Constance
    • Hapi
    • Manuela
    • Flayn
    • Catherine
    • Shamir
    • Anna

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/02/2020 at 08:15 AM

Good Day, everyone. This will be the comeback of the Best Classes Series. The poll shall be up for one week or when displaced from the first page twice, whichever comes first.

Today we will vote for the best Units for each new DLC Classes.

You're free to campaign or debate. You're free to change your votes. You just need to abide by the rules set by our mods.

Best Class for Ashen Wolves Final results:

• Yuri - Trickster (53.85%)
  • Balthus - War Master (58.97%)
  • Constance - Dark Flier (53.85%)
  • Hapi - Valkyrie (38.46%), Gremory (23.08%)
  • Anna - Trickster (64.10%)
Edited by Jayvee94

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an Assassin, Yuri is basically a straight upgrade on Assassin Petra in most dimensions other than potential availability if you picked Black Eagles, but he has higher bases and growths to help make up for it anyway. But bane in Lances, Axes, Riding and Flying really really sucks and limits his options. Unless you want to bang your head on a wall repeatedly he's not going into literally any mounted class easily since you have to fight at least two banes at all times. Assassin is better for pure combat, and Yuri's spell lists aren't superb, but Foul Play is really good utility, especially Foul Play + Canto from Fetters of Dromi. You could just give Dromi to someone else, and you only lose out on the Pavise/Aegis by not matching Crest, but if you're planning on using him anyway, honestly might as well let him use that combination.

Balthus is pretty much Raphael deluxe. Mostly same strengths and weaknesses, but has a Crest and comes with his Relic gauntlets. His Mag is hardly amazing and his spell list is also bad, so might as well take him to War Master or something to make use of his combat.

Constance has Bolting and Rescue, which are both great, but the rest of her spell list is kinda shit. Fire and Sagittae don't offer much, Fimbulvetr is a crit spell running off her low Skl, and Agnea's Arrow is a nice big hit but super heavy. She doesn't have any 1~3 spell to offer better support and safer damage, most importantly. Her Spd is mediocre, her overall bulk is basically non-existent, and she basically just pales in comparison to Dorothea and Lysithea. She could probably just be alright as a Dark Flier, but she's a decent Dancer candidate. She can provide Link/Gambit Boost from far away by equipping Meteor, support with Rescue sometimes, dance, and occasionally still provide some damage from Bolting, Hexblade etc. Trickster is also alright.

Hapi has a really good spell list, so she can do fine in most magic classes, but I think she particularly wants classes that give her White Magic x2 to make use of Physic and Warp.

Anna is pretty much somewhat of a downgrade of Yuri? She isn't weak in flying and can grab Darting Blow and stuff, but her mediocre bases and growths don't lend her to do particularly well combat-wise. She can do the same Trickster stuff as Yuri, especially if you give her Dromi, and she can also be Dancer and support the way Dancer Constance would. Anna has a better spell list than Yuri, and has Rescue and Meteor like Constance, but the Reason bane makes it hard to get Meteor.

Dromi pretty much mean Yuri does not want to be in a mounted class in the first place and you are losing half of dromi features by giving it to a WL. Hell, i'd say that Yuri is the best dancer because they are ultimately the same but Yuri has the best accessory for dancing.

Edited by Flere210

8 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

So it seems the general consensus is that everyone is pretty good in their special advanced classes except Balthus who would be better suited in the War Master class. Am I wrong about that? 

Seems to be that way,

But it's too early to say.

It's just the first day.

Edited by Jayvee94

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Dromi pretty much mean Yuri does not want to be in a mounted class in the first place and you are losing half of dromi features by giving it to a WL. Hell, i'd say that Yuri is the best dancer because they are ultimately the same but Yuri has the best accessory for dancing.

I was recently thinking about what I'd actually use him for and I think this might be the right idea. He's also one of the better candidates for sword avoid, and it wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to make him very hard to kill as a dancer.

1 hour ago, Jayvee94 said:

It seems to be that way,
But it's too early to say.
It's just the first day.

It's irritating how close this is to being a Haiku.

Anyway I said Assassin Yuri. Best movement of any Swordfaire class, Bow rank is no trouble for him (Deadeye gives great range), and he can use the Levin Sword (+) for magical damage. Shame about losing Foul Play, though.

For Balthus, I said Grappler. Free movement through forests, access to the coveted Fierce Iron Fist (with Vajra-Mushti, no less), and no Axe requirement means he can go all-in on Brawling and Authority. Extra crit from War Master would be nice, though.

Constance should go Gremory, for the extra charges of Bolting, and of all her other great spells. Plus the highest magic modifier possible. Still, losing Dark Flier's faire and mobility is unfortunate. 

Hapi should go Dark Knight, for the better movement and offense. She can still do boosted range with Death or with Thyrsus/Caduceus. I was tempted to troll everyone by saying Wyvern Lord, though.

Anna should also go Assassin. She's like Yuri, but with worse Authority, made up for somewhat by Soulblade. I guess she could alternatively be a Wyvern Lord or Trickster, though.

Spoiler

@Flere210 The thing is, the Furrets of Dromi isn't unique to Yuri. Any crested unit can use it, and all they'd be missing out on is Aegis/Pavise. Someone like Marianne, Ingrid, or Ferdinand, for instance, could combine Dromi with their natural Riding boon, to achieve Movement+1 on top of the Movement+1 and Canto that the ring gives. I'm sure Yuri can be a good Dancer, but I hesitate to accept "his" Relic as an argument in his favor.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Response to Flere

Voted Trickster/WM/Gremory/Valk (Anna Trickster, I suppose).

I anticipated Yuri as a Dancer for Sword Avoi + Fetters shenanigans, but Ferdinand probably fills that niche better with his personal/much easier access to alert stance. In chapter 15 on BE maddening and he's been a strong unit as both a trickster and assassin, though foul play is incredibly useful more often than you'd expect.

War Monk feels redundant aside from getting its mastered skill. War Master is the obvious choice, being an S-tier class alongside WL/FK.

Dark Flier may also be on par with those, but Constance really appreciates Gremory's x2 usage with her spell list. She alongside Dark Flier Lysithea (absolutely nasty btw, as expected) really gives you a well rounded offensive mage cast on any route.

Hapi as a Valkyrie for range and her utility spells + warp/psychic. Dark Flier or Dark Knight could also be options with Cadaceus or Thrysus.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Hide contents

@Flere210 The thing is, the Furrets of Dromi isn't unique to Yuri. Any crested unit can use it, and all they'd be missing out on is Aegis/Pavise. Someone like Marianne, Ingrid, or Ferdinand, for instance, could combine Dromi with their natural Riding boon, to achieve Movement+1 on top of the Movement+1 and Canto that the ring gives. I'm sure Yuri can be a good Dancer, but I hesitate to accept "his" Relic as an argument in his favor.

March ring is a thing. You are missing out on both canto and Aegis/Pavise if you give it to a mounted unit. Dromi is not thyrsus. Giving it to something like a war master or warp user, sure, using it as a second march ring is a waste.

Edited by Flere210

46 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

March ring is a thing. You are missing out on both canto and Aegis/Pavise if you give it to a mounted unit. Dromi is not thyrsus. Giving it to something like a war master or warp user, sure, using it as a second march ring is a waste.

...I see now that my wording was ambiguous. My point was to use Marianne/Ferdinand/Ingrid as a Dancer, while also tutoring them in Riding (for Movement +1) so that they can use Dromi to have 8 move and Canto as a Dancer. I was not advocating using Dromi on a mounted class; that would be a bit of a waste, I agree.

Disclaimer: recommendations for hard, not maddening. Haven’t tried it yet, just getting back into the game after a hiatus. 

Yuri: sniper or dancer. As mentioned above, you really want to leave fetters on Yuri. As we learned with Felix, the pavise/aegis effect is very useful when paired with a major crest, and free canto means you aren’t forced to go mounted. Altogether, that makes sniper have fewer drawbacks than usual compared to bow knight, and you get better stats and access to hunter’s volley in return. Really nice. Dancer with canto and extra move also seems awesome, especially with the extra tankiness from sword avoid. 

Balthus: war master/grappler/wyvern rider. I don’t think this unit makes a ton of sense if you aren’t trying to leverage his crest. War master gives high crit, grappler for the 3x attack art, and wyvern rider for mobility. 

Constance: gremory. Her crest lets her really stretch those extra bolting uses, giving nice synergy and access to a niche as premiere artillery with access to rescue.  She doesn’t really have the stats to excel as a pure combat class such as dark knight or dark flier in the way that lysithea does, so I’d leave her to do what she does uniquely and give thyrsus to someone else. 

Hapi: gremory. She feels like a way better version of lindhardt - physic and warp access, but also with a better reason list. Lindhardt would kill for gremory and she gets it. The class doubles her great faith list and some important spells from her reason list. Again, combat stats aren’t stellar, better to leave that to someone else. 

Anna: don’t use her much, but trickster seems fine. 

Edited by ApocaLips

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

...I see now that my wording was ambiguous. My point was to use Marianne/Ferdinand/Ingrid as a Dancer, while also tutoring them in Riding (for Movement +1) so that they can use Dromi to have 8 move and Canto as a Dancer. I was not advocating using Dromi on a mounted class; that would be a bit of a waste, I agree.

I suspect Yuri edges out most of them tho for one reason or another. He has an authority boon that none of those three have, which is quite good for a utility class. I'm also assuming that he auto levels sword when you recruit him, which means higher leveled sword mastery for more avoid at base, as well as just flat out higher speed than probably everyone else in the game. 

Ferdinand is the only one that checks the same sword rank and durability boxes Yuri does, but it feels like a waste to use him as a dancer instead of a combat unit. I think having agis+pavise is probably better than 1 move, particularly if it's on a unit who shouldn't be too scared of getting attacked compared to someone like Marianne who will absolutely die if something comes her way. 

9 minutes ago, Burklight said:

I suspect Yuri edges out most of them tho for one reason or another. He has an authority boon that none of those three have, which is quite good for a utility class. I'm also assuming that he auto levels sword when you recruit him, which means higher leveled sword mastery for more avoid at base, as well as just flat out higher speed than probably everyone else in the game. 

Ferdinand is the only one that checks the same sword rank and durability boxes Yuri does, but it feels like a waste to use him as a dancer instead of a combat unit. I think having agis+pavise is probably better than 1 move, particularly if it's on a unit who shouldn't be too scared of getting attacked compared to someone like Marianne who will absolutely die if something comes her way. 

Marianne also auto-levels Sword and Faith. I think Ingrid auto-levels Swords and Lances. In which case, either will have similarly high Sword rank, when recruited, to Yuri. Ingrid is quite speedy as well, while Ferdinand has a personal that boosts Avoid.

Authority rank... doesn't really matter a ton on a Dancer. You probably won't have them using a gambit, unless there's no one else to dance for. I could see wanting to boost their defensive stats, or maybe getting them to A for Dance of the Goddess.

I really disagree on Aegis+Pavise being better than an extra point of movement on a Dancer. Extra mobility means more options for whom you can Dance for. Combine with Canto, and an extra movement point can help escape enemy range. Dancers shouldn't be seeing combat, except on enemy phase. Even then, I prefer going for dodge-tanking with them, so an unpredictable defense-boosting skill won't help a ton.

For the record, play however you'd like. I definitely like the idea of Dimitri's Furrets on a Dancer. I'm just not convinced that Dancer should be Yuri-boy.

Ummmmmm......so I haven't actually tried this yet....buuuuuut.....what about Mortal Savant Yuri? He's got ridiculous speed anyway with 65% growth and since he'll be going through Thief and assassin or trickster until level 30 his speed should be stupidly high.  So minus 10% growth for his remaining 10 or less levels really wont impact him. Yeah it's technically -30% cause of no assassin but assuming he ends at level 40 (which most characters don't from my experience) its only 3 speed loss and that isn't going to mean anything to him when he's already that stupidly fast. Mortal Savant is both Stronger than assassin, and also lets him use his magic as well (while also boosting it from a faire). His reason list isn't great but the light spells complement his fast nature, meaning he should always be doubling with a faire which will net him a lot of kills even as a mortal savant. Recover and silence are also nice to have, especially the former since with his 7 move and canto he can heal someone up to full and then retreat and peace out to somewhere else without spending entire turn for healing like others do. A swords and A reason isn't hard when he's talented in both. What do you guys think? When I get round to using this lot I'm definitely trying this out.

For Balthus Grappler is obvious. He isn't fast enough to quad as a War master, his dex and luck are really low so less crits, and he doesn't have any good axe or brawling arts that could either warrant needing axefaire, or not needing fierce iron fist. War monk is really only useful for it's mastery and if you desperately want a female gauntlet user. I'd still get B Axes and D+ Faith to pick up QR and Brawl avoid before staying Grappler though. 

Constance i'd stay as a Dark flier purely for flying rescue. Again I haven't used these yet but that just sounds too good to be true. Since rescue requires B faith i'd probably get Gremory too, so if flying or fast movement isn't required I can switch to that(an indoor map for example).

Hapi is the one I'm the least sure about, She just seems like she could work anywhere. I'm considering Bishop or Gremory for X2 white magic (Warp and Physic) and just make her a dedicated healer, but that wastes her great reason list. But she's really not that strong stat wise anyway (Similar to Lorenz and Dorothea but without the Bulk/Meteor). I guess I'll say Gremory but I'd need to try her out.

28 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

Ummmmmm......so I haven't actually tried this yet....buuuuuut.....what about Mortal Savant Yuri? He's got ridiculous speed anyway with 65% growth and since he'll be going through Thief and assassin or trickster until level 30 his speed should be stupidly high.  So minus 10% growth for his remaining 10 or less levels really wont impact him. Yeah it's technically -30% cause of no assassin but assuming he ends at level 40 (which most characters don't from my experience) its only 3 speed loss and that isn't going to mean anything to him when he's already that stupidly fast. Mortal Savant is both Stronger than assassin, and also lets him use his magic as well (while also boosting it from a faire). His reason list isn't great but the light spells complement his fast nature, meaning he should always be doubling with a faire which will net him a lot of kills even as a mortal savant. Recover and silence are also nice to have, especially the former since with his 7 move and canto he can heal someone up to full and then retreat and peace out to somewhere else without spending entire turn for healing like others do. A swords and A reason isn't hard when he's talented in both. What do you guys think? When I get round to using this lot I'm definitely trying this out.

His Reason list (Wind, Cutting Gale, Saggitae, Excalibur) is... average. Interestingly, it's identical to Annette's. Your speed calc is off, though, because you fail to account for the class modifiers. Assassin gives +5, Mortal Savant gives +1, for a difference of -4. So level 40 MS Yuri will, on average, have 7 less speed than level 40 Assassin Yuri (assuming switching at level 30). That's a fairly large sacrifice, especially on Maddening.

Black Tomefaire, 1 more move, and full-count magic charges are definitely advantages over Trickster. Losing out on Foul Play hurts, though, and he'll do worse in speed. Also Mortal Savant only needs B+ Reason, so it's an even easier reach than you said at first. I'd say it's one of Yuri's better class options, sure - probably his best, if you want him using magic, since Dark Knight is out of reach. In most cases, though, I think I'd go physical with him, as Assassin or Sniper.

It's kind of hard to say this early, but my preliminary choices: 

Yuri: He doesn't really have that many options, tbh. Mortal Savant is the only viable Master class for him, but because his spells have relatively low Might and they're all 2 range, a Levin Sword+ is probably going to be better in most scenarios. In that case, Assassin also has 6 Move and Swordfaire, but you also get Stealth on top of that, which is fairly helpful and allows squishier units to frontline without fear. Assassin Yuri will has access to Deadeye and Curved Shot, giving Yuri more options for attacking, and has much higher Speed. 

Trickster is interesting, but I don't have any firsthand experience with it yet outside of Cindered Shadows. It trades Swordfaire for Lucky Seven, which is a losing trade, imo. Trickster definitely has a better mastery ability in Duelist's Blow, and Yuri's important Faith spells, Recover and Silence, are certainly nice to have. Foul Play was incredibly useful for me in CS, and there are lots of plays you can make with it. It can function as a smaller Warp or Rescue in a pinch, and if you can spare the Fetters of Dromi, Canto makes sure that Yuri won't fall behind. Without Yuri's Relic though, Trickster is clearly worse than Assassin. 

Sniper doesn't take advantage of Yuri's personal, but the extra Bow range and Hunter's Volley are nice along with a stronger Deadeye. Yuri can use a Magic Bow+ here instead, which could put out some respectable damage with Hunter's Volley. Definitely want to try this once I'm done with my current run where I'm using Trickster. Overall, I would say that Assassin is probably his best class. 

Balthus: He actually has a pretty good Reason spell list with Fire, Bolganone, and Ragnarok, but his Faith spell list is pretty bad. His only utility is Restore, and Seraphim won't do much damage with his mediocre Magic stat. I don't think that Balthus wants to be a War Monk in the long term, though he may want to master it to pick up Brawl Avo +20. Grappler vs. War Master is a tough call because Crit +20 is hard to pass up, but Fierce Iron Fist may be worth it, particularly on Maddening where Swordmasters with QR are plentiful, and everything has inflated AS. 

There's also the potential for a Wrath+Vantage build. His personal really matches up well with this (+6 Str/Def under 50% HP is pretty good), and he has all the right proficiencies for it. If you were to do this though, he doesn't have any really great ending classes. Maybe Swordmaster to make up for his bad Hit? I'd stick with Grappler. 

Constance: Her Reason spell list is stellar; Bolting utility, Fimbulvetr crits, and Agnea's Arrow nukes match up well with her high Magic stat. She also has a great Rescue range as a result, and it's already come in handy even though I've only had Rescue for a couple chapters. Still, I think that Dark Flier is better than Gremory even when considering Constance's generally low use magic and Rescue utility. The extra Move gives Constance more safety to take advantage of her strong offense along with better positioning for using Rescue. Constance doesn't really have enough Faith utility to justify Gremory (read: no Physic), so Dark Flier is the better class. 

Hapi: Warp at A on a Faith neutral character hurts, but with Sauna spam, I was able to get it at the beginning of Chapter 11. Honestly, I'm not sure yet whether it was worth it. She has the same Magic growth as Lindhardt, so their Warp ranges should be about the same. Each of them have Physic, though Hapi gets Seraphim instead of Restore. However, Lindhardt can get it much earlier, so he's probably better from a purely supportive role. The main benefit is that Hapi is easier to get on a horse, which makes Warping units after the first turn a lot easier.  You could use both as Warp/Physic bots, but Hapi has a pretty good Reason spell list and an incredibly easy time getting to Dark Knight, so I'd recommend doing that instead. Picking up Uncanny Blow from Valkyrie on the way is a good idea as well to patch up any issues with Hit that dark spells tend to have, but it doesn't really make any sense to stay with since the +1 Range is cancelled out by -1 Move in comparison to Dark Knight. 

3 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

Seeing the Results so far makes me think that:

It's wise to give Balthus's Pass to someone else.

Of course that would be in the next poll.

Yeah, I gave his pass to Flyan, who is rocking it as a Dark Flier. I kept Balthus as a Grappler, as it stands right now. I think I got some bad levels on him though, he needs some speed haha.

14 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Marianne also auto-levels Sword and Faith. I think Ingrid auto-levels Swords and Lances. In which case, either will have similarly high Sword rank, when recruited, to Yuri. Ingrid is quite speedy as well, while Ferdinand has a personal that boosts Avoid.

Authority rank... doesn't really matter a ton on a Dancer. You probably won't have them using a gambit, unless there's no one else to dance for. I could see wanting to boost their defensive stats, or maybe getting them to A for Dance of the Goddess.

I really disagree on Aegis+Pavise being better than an extra point of movement on a Dancer. Extra mobility means more options for whom you can Dance for. Combine with Canto, and an extra movement point can help escape enemy range. Dancers shouldn't be seeing combat, except on enemy phase. Even then, I prefer going for dodge-tanking with them, so an unpredictable defense-boosting skill won't help a ton.

For the record, play however you'd like. I definitely like the idea of Dimitri's Furrets on a Dancer. I'm just not convinced that Dancer should be Yuri-boy.

For some reason, i always remember that you need S riding dor movement+1 instead of A+, nut even at A+ we are talking about a big investment that does not pay off for a loooong time unless you neglet everything else. 

And while aegis/pavise is unrelianle, so is dodging whitout alert stance, wich you can't use if you are dancing every turn(maybe the one who is named Ferdinand Von Aegir can pull that off, but i have not much experience whit him).

Also i would argue that authority matter, because whit the right Battalion and Dromi we are pretty much getting a turn of Genealogy dancing lol. 

Also there is the fact that Marianne, Ingrid and Ferdinand Von Aegir are not locked on bad classes by the worst combination of bane possible. Yuri must have put pineapples on the dev's pizza.

38 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Also i would argue that authority matter, because whit the right Battalion and Dromi we are pretty much getting a turn of Genealogy dancing lol. 

You don't really want that though. The dancing battalions can refresh your dancer, allowing you to dance one unit three times in a single turn with the right configuration; in general these should be on anyone but your dancer.

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

You don't really want that though. The dancing battalions can refresh your dancer, allowing you to dance one unit three times in a single turn with the right configuration; in general these should be on anyone but your dancer.

Basically this. The Dance of the Goddess battalions can be used by anyone with A/B Authority. Preferably a support unit who's blnot your Dancer, since their stat mods are... not great.

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

For some reason, i always remember that you need S riding dor movement+1 instead of A+, nut even at A+ we are talking about a big investment that does not pay off for a loooong time unless you neglet everything else. 

That is a fair point, it takes a while to reach A+ Riding, and I will grant that the advantage of Aegis/Pavise from Dromi is, it comes to Yuri immediately, without investment, when equipped. Having said that, you can just train your Dancer in Swords (for prowess) and Riding (for movement) every week, I don't think there's anything else they want or need (save Authority, maybe).

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

And while aegis/pavise is unrelianle, so is dodging whitout alert stance, wich you can't use if you are dancing every turn(maybe the one who is named Ferdinand Von Aegir can pull that off, but i have not much experience whit him).

Which is why I suggest keeping them out of enemy range most of the time. Still, your Dancer gets Sword Avoid +20 for free, then Sword Prowess and Axebreaker from Sword rank training, greatly boosting their avoid. You can also give them an Avoid-boosting battalion. Finally, every point of movement makes ot easier to end the turn in a forest.

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Also there is the fact that Marianne, Ingrid and Ferdinand Von Aegir are not locked on bad classes by the worst combination of bane possible. Yuri must have put pineapples on the dev's pizza.

Interestingly, the fact that all three have fairly easy access to Paladin means that they can potentially get Aegis (or even start working towards it) before getting Dancer. Which would make Pavise the only thing Yuri has over them.

I agree that Yuri's banes hurt his class options (although I will never agree with the devs about the best pizza topping), but that doesn't mean he's better at purely being a Dancer than those three. He can still go Assassin, Sniper (legitimately good classes), Trickster, or Mortal Savant (which have their niches).

I don't think Dark Flier is that good (unfortunately). With Constance you really want 2x Black magic uses because Bolting is so insanely good, so that means Warlock or Gremory. And Warlock is the one that gets Tomefaire so... Warlock it is. On top of that Dark Flier has 0 mag growth which is just inexcusable. Classes like Bow Knight have bad growth to balance them, but there is nothing about Dark Flier that needs this type of balancing.

Valkyrie I can see how it might be Lysithea's best class. You can get, what, 6 range spells on her now?