Another Noob is here to ask a generic question about FeBuilder!

Benice

Greetings! I haven't seen a thread like this through the first three pages of this subforum.

I downloaded FeBuilder GBA recently and want to make my own stuff! Armed with no knowledge or experince and a whole lot of hope, I want to dabble in making a tiny game! 

What do I need to do? What resources to I require? Tips? Tricks? Do s and Don't s?

Also, I can't seem to actually start the program; my (old and bad) computer tells me via adobe reader that "Adobe reader could not open 'FEBuilderGBA_20181216.11.7z' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachemnt and wasn't correctly decoded." I suppose that's me doing something very, very wrong.

The "Game" is gonna be really simple unless the whole process is really easy. Which I believe it's not since people spend a LOT of time on these things.

Edited by Benice

Welcome to the hacking scene! Always nice to see people trying their hands at their own projects. First of all, I think your problem seems to be that you're trying to open the .7z file with a program that is used to open .PDF files. You will need a program like Winrar or 7zip to extract the .exe file from the .7z file. I'm currently not at home, but when I return I shall provide some tips and whatnot.

33 minutes ago, bløød said:

Welcome to the hacking scene! Always nice to see people trying their hands at their own projects. First of all, I think your problem seems to be that you're trying to open the .7z file with a program that is used to open .PDF files. You will need a program like Winrar or 7zip to extract the .exe file from the .7z file. I'm currently not at home, but when I return I shall provide some tips and whatnot.

Thank you! I downloaded 7zip, but I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with it. I opened it with  7zFM and it opened up to a screen that had a file called confic, 7-zip32.dll, FEBuilderGBA.exe and README.txt. However, every time I clicked on The FEBuilder folder, it told me this:

The config directory does not exist. You have failed to decompress 7z. PLease try again. Config, (a whole bunch of japanese or something.) 

But then it opened up later! It turns out I had to run it as an administrator?

So I have sucessfully opened up FeBuilder! 

Is downloading an emulator illegal? According to wikihow, I'm supposed to download an emulator then get the ROM, which acts as the game cartridge. Just want to make sure that this is legal. I certainly don't want to be ripping people off.

Edited by Benice

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Is downloading an emulator illegal? According to wikihow, I'm supposed to download an emulator then get the ROM, which acts as the game cartridge. Just want to make sure that this is legal. I certainly don't want to be ripping people off.

It's a weird, murky gray area.  If you want to be absolutely legal about this, find a FE8 GBA cartridge, and create the ROM yourself (no clue what hardware would be involved, though).  But since FE8 is no longer being sold as a GBA game (and hasn't been for a while), I don't think lost profits is a factor.

DO NOT ASK US WHERE TO GET A ROM.  I'll have to warn you.  I don't want to do that.  Use Google to find one.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Is downloading an emulator illegal? According to wikihow, I'm supposed to download an emulator then get the ROM, which acts as the game cartridge. Just want to make sure that this is legal.

ROMS are illegal to distribute, but not to download or to possess.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

ROMS are illegal to distribute, but not to download or to possess.

That makes it perfectly clear; thank you!

So, I have the emulator and the ROM... 

I can't seem to decompress the ROM I downloaded.

What do I do next?

Edited by Benice

New questions:

Implementing animations takes a really long time. Just wanted to make sure that doing it frame-by-frame is the fastest way to do it.

Two: How do I change the introduction and stuff? I think I've figured out how to change the script outside of the intro, though.

Three: How do I edit portraits and stuff?

Four: I figured out how to add enemies to chapters, but I can't seem to actually get them to show up. How do I make the enemies spawn at specific times? Also, the players spawn in the wrong spot. 

Five: How do I delete a group of reinforcements? I accidentally added 8 of my lord character and they just vibe around in the middle of the map.

I think that's all for now. Thank you for answering any and all questions!

• 2 weeks later...

just go to this link :

there all the tutoriel you need to anwser to your question like how to edit portrait and stuff

https://feuniverse.us/t/fe-builder-gba-if-you-have-any-questions-attach-report7z/2845

the markyejoe video will give you the base to create a simple chapter. After that you will need to practice the event part to create more complex stuff