Pairings you like but you feel is underrated?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Seazas said:

Well why do you think it's an underrated pair? Because it's extremely forced and tacked on. Not once does Norne ever mention having a village friend not even in descriptions (just her and Draug) until Kris conveniently becomes an avatar. Katarina is also simply superior for a character like Kris than Norne, her personal arc revolves around Kris.

Some of the new lines in heroes from Norne also has her talk about Kris

I admit my reasons for shipping them are stupid and I mainly ship Katty and Kris but still

33 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

Some of the new lines in heroes from Norne also has her talk about Kris

I admit my reasons for shipping them are stupid and I mainly ship Katty and Kris but still

Yeah and it's just as forced and insufferable in Heroes

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Is this only canon pairings? Or can it can it also include non-canon pairings for characters that don't really have a canon pairing?

I feel like this topic is more for pairings that have some grounds in canon, a separate topic might be better suited for brainchild ships.

Now then, I'll throw my two cents in...

Fir x Sin. Most people would sooner associate them with Noah and Sue, but I find they have better chemistry with each other. There's some awkwardness, but they have a better handle on it than Noah and Fir do. It's also great for Sin's character arc of becoming more open to the world beyond his tribe: he meets someone with one foot in Sacae, one foot out, and learns to appreciate how she differs from what he knows. (Plus, Sin could totally pass whatever test of manliness Bartre sets him up for.)

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Is this only canon pairings? Or can it can it also include non-canon pairings for characters that don't really have a canon pairing?

Canon Pairings:

• Cordelia x Robin: I see a lot of people gush about Stahl and Cordelia, but to me, Robin x Cordelia is the best of Cordelia's pairings. It explores an aspect of her character that's completely overlooked in every other support and is the first thing we learn about her in her story introduction: her being the last of the Ylisse Pegasus Knights. It also explores why she hates being called a genius, and it has Robin help her process her grief over her fallen sisters-in-arms. It's a very sweet set of supports, and it helps that Robin and Cordelia complement each other personality-wise. It's honestly one of the best pairings in Awakening.
  • Stahl x Panne: I just find this one extremely hilarious and adorable. It goes from Stahl trying to make a meal Panne would enjoy, to him trying a Taguel meal so spicy it can burn a person's hands and, upon hearing that, he accidentally gets some of the juice in his eyes. Even Stahl trying to explain his proposal is absolutely hilarious. 

I'm surprised you suggested Oscar x Sigrun, since Oscar and Tanith have some really sweet support conversations in Path of Radiance. 

I completely agree. It helps that they're extremely sweet in their supports, and I can just see what a hilarious paired ending they could've gotten: Mia travelled the continent in search of worthy opponents. She never worried, for her husband was always able to patch her up whenever she returned home. Rhys, on the other hand...

I included Genny x Ike which is a crack ship

It can be any pairing that you like (Please refrain from stupid pairings like Ragnell and Monastery Cat) that you feel would be a good pairing in general

1 minute ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

I included Genny x Ike which is a crack ship

It can be any pairing that you like (Please refrain from stupid pairings like Ragnell and Monastery Cat) that you feel would be a good pairing in general

Oh. Okay, then:

Naturally, Ike x Elincia. Their dynamic is so well-written in the NA Localization of Path of Radiance, and they just have so much chemistry. It's also far better than Elincia ending up with her foster-brother (which is a bit messed up). 

Oscar x Tanith

Mist x Rolf: I'm not sure if this one's underrated, since it seems fairly popular on this site at least, but again: well-written dynamic, and better than Mist ending up with Boyd. 

Mia x Rhys: These two are surprisingly sweet, and they could have a hilarious paired ending: Mia travelled the continent in search of worthy opponents. She never worried, for her husband was always able to patch her up whenever she returned home. Rhys, on the other hand...

Niles and Elise.

While Niles is provocative and lewd in numerous of his supports, with Elise he is harsh but very well behaved. His remarks truly help her change her attitude towards her royal duties, and to improve the impression that she gives to others of herself. Elise grows through this support chain and surprisingly remains is in-character when she proposes, precisely because the realises how much he has helped her give another step towards maturity.

Yes, I know that Elise is a teenager by today's standards, but I do not see the issue in a young princess in the Middle Ages getting married and giving birth shortly afterwards. Hell, I do not know the age of most people here, but just a hundred years ago, our grandparents were already "men" and "women" at 18, and it was common to get married at 16-17 and have children within a year.
Do not forget that during the great majority of the Modern Era (which comes after the Middle Ages that Fates allude to), the life expectancy in western Europe was still below 40 years of age.

Edited by starburst
Format.

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Canon Pairings:

• Cordelia x Robin: I see a lot of people gush about Stahl and Cordelia, but to me, Robin x Cordelia is the best of Cordelia's pairings. It explores an aspect of her character that's completely overlooked in every other support and is the first thing we learn about her in her story introduction: her being the last of the Ylisse Pegasus Knights. It also explores why she hates being called a genius, and it has Robin help her process her grief over her fallen sisters-in-arms. It's a very sweet set of supports, and it helps that Robin and Cordelia complement each other personality-wise. It's honestly one of the best pairings in Awakening.
  • Stahl x Panne: I just find this one extremely hilarious and adorable. It goes from Stahl trying to make a meal Panne would enjoy, to him trying a Taguel meal so spicy it can burn a person's hands and, upon hearing that, he accidentally gets some of the juice in his eyes. Even Stahl trying to explain his proposal is absolutely hilarious. 

Those aren't "canon". Canon means they will always be together no matter what. An example of a "canon pairing" would be Pent and Louise, Calill and Largo, Marth and Caeda, etc.

What you listed are non-canon, but possible pairings. This is the most common type in Fire Emblem.

Sorry for the explanation, I just wanted to address it.

Funny you say Cordelia x Robin, as that's my planned pairing for my current Awakening run.

1 hour ago, starburst said:

Niles and Elise.

While Niles is provocative and lewd in numerous of his supports, with Elise he is harsh but very well behaved. His remarks truly help her change her attitude towards her royal duties, and to improve the impression that she gives to others of herself. Elise grows through this support chain and surprisingly remains is in-character when she proposes, precisely because the realises how much he has helped her give another step towards maturity.

Yes, I know that Elise is a teenager by today's standards, but I do not see the issue in a young princess in the Middle Ages getting married and giving birth shortly afterwards. Hell, I do not know the age of most people here, but just a hundred years ago, our grandparents were already "men" and "women" at 18, and it was common to get married at 16-17 and have children within a year.
Do not forget that during the great majority of the Modern Era (which comes after the Middle Ages that Fates allude to), the life expectancy in western Europe was still below 40 years of age.

Not to mention Elise!Nina turns out to be really great and she can become a fantastic Adventurer or a Shining Bow Knight.

20 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Those aren't "canon". Canon means they will always be together no matter what. An example of a "canon pairing" would be Pent and Louise, Calill and Largo, Marth and Caeda, etc.

What you listed are non-canon, but possible pairings. This is the most common type in Fire Emblem.

Sorry for the explanation, I just wanted to address it.

Funny you say Cordelia x Robin, as that's my planned pairing for my current Awakening run.

Not to mention Elise!Nina turns out to be really great and she can become a fantastic Adventurer or a Shining Bow Knight.

Sorry; I meant to say possible pairings. Thanks for the correction/clarification. 

I guess for me, the only real example would be Frederick x female Robin.

Because, of course, the only female Robin pairing that gets a lot of attention at all is with Chrom. All the others are just really obscure or don't exist at all in fanart and fanfiction. And that always bugged me, regardless of my preferences. It's like...why is the same pairing all over the place, where's the diversity? Male Robin pairings are much more diverse and that's much more interesting as a result.

But anyway, Frederick x Robin is amazing to me for many reasons, but I have to admit that the biggest one is "Freddy Bear." 😛 That pet name is just too damn adorable, I don't get why people don't talk about this more! FE Warriors even carried this over. XD

The support chain itself isn't the greatest one ever imo, but I like it enough and it's a funny spin on "the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach." lol But what truly makes the pairing shine imo, beyond the pet name and such, is the fact that it goes from distrust to love. Frederick is the only character that doesn't trust Robin and so Robin has to work more for his heart than others and succeeding there is more satisfying.

Lastly, they're a knight captain and tactician pair! Talk about a power couple! 😄

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

😎

If I recruit Nina, she always joins early (around Chapter 12.) And when Elise is the mama, I prefer an immediate re-class into Dark Mage and then Sorcerer, because of the specific growths and caps, and because I find tomes more versatile than the Shining Bow.

2 hours ago, starburst said:

😎

If I recruit Nina, she always joins early (around Chapter 12.) And when Elise is the mama, I prefer an immediate re-class into Dark Mage and then Sorcerer, because of the specific growths and caps, and because I find tomes more versatile than the Shining Bow.

You get her as early as Chapter 12? Impressive. I usually try to wait until after Chapter 19 so I can use the offspring seals. I know people like pairing Elise with Odin because of how great Ophelia turns out, but something has to be said for Elise!Nina.

I also agree with your support decision. Niles isn't pervy in that support which is a relief considering who he's talking to.

Tailtiu/Lex - These two have lots in common, and honestly I've always preferred this pairing to Azel/Tailtiu. Their chapter 5 lover convo in particular is excellent

Saias/Mareeta - Saved her from a cursed sword. Considering the amount of dialogue they have together, was expecting them to have a paired ending

Micaiah/Zelgius - My personal favorite FE pairing. They have so much in common - branded, generals of Daein, relationship to Sephiran and Sanaki. Their dialogue was also quite ship-teasing, as was the Zelgius/Sothe 1-E talk. Kinda wished they got some sort of ending.

15 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

You get her as early as Chapter 12? Impressive. I usually try to wait until after Chapter 19 so I can use the offspring seals. I know people like pairing Elise with Odin because of how great Ophelia turns out, but something has to be said for Elise!Nina.

I also agree with your support decision. Niles isn't pervy in that support which is a relief considering who he's talking to.

I recruit all children around Chapter 12. No support grinding, no DLC, no Internet, no nothing. 😬

You see, I value “knowing the unit”, thus I prefer to complete my party as soon as possible (I only use ten units, no pre-promoted), even if the children could be “more powerful” chapters later. Sophie, Ophelia and Nina can all be naturally recruited by Chapter 12. And with some luck (like visiting Cornflakes or getting a Trust Seed), they can all join by Chapter 11. Once you get one kid, the others “unlock” immediately. It is actually easy to accomplish, you just need to set supports as an additional goal per chapter.

We can continue this conversation through private message or in the Fates section, if you want.

On topic, if I re-wrote Conquest, I would prevent Elise from getting S Supports, and focus on her growing up through the campaign. That being said, I think that her support chain with Niles is her best one. Moreover, various other characters could say the exact same lines to her and remain in character.

Edited by starburst
Grammar.

Ones that come to mind are Cordelia x Gregor. Yeah, she might look a tad young, but its one of the few supports where the relationship makes since with her obsession with Chrom, as she goes to Gregor for advice on how to approach Chrom, and the two bond over Gregor's experience. On top of that, Gregors last qoutr in their A support is really quite sweet. 

Another moght be Corrin x Mozu, but I think it makes sense. They both recently lost parents, she's hard working and a good cook, and well, lets just say M!Corrin doesn't really wear the pants in any of his relationships. And from a mechanics standpoint Mozu is one of the first characters you can get, meaning she and Corrin would likely grow closer than most, as well as she is available in all three paths. 

Spoiler

Also, while she shares a lot of these traits with Azura, Mozu isn't your cousin, so...

Kellam and Miriel: One of the less grandiose romances, but I think that works in its favor. It's one of the few supports where Kellam's lack of presence is the focus, and it's done surprisingly well for how it makes sense for both characters and progresses pretty naturally. It helps that it's one of the very few romances where Miriel seems legitimately interested in her partner romantically (a lot of them more or less have her saying "sure" to the other characters proposal) and it has one of the gentler "his name was lost to history" endings for Kellam.

Clive and Mathilda: It hits that sweet mark between being hilariously cheesy and actually pretty sweet, with some good black comedy thrown in given that their romance focuses upon how great both of them are at killing people. I'm laughing and smiling all throughout their support conversations, and I'm kind of surprised that they're not discussed more.

Laurent and Lucina: Both characters get along pretty well, and their romance is simple but effective. One of the more believable pairings considering how many of Awakenings S-supports vary in quality.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:30 PM, Landmaster said:

Lucina X Yarne >>>>

I really like this pairing. Mostly because king Yarne is amusing, and so is the Ylisse royal family bloodline being now shapeshifter bunnies. They also have a good conversation, often ignored because Yarne is an underrated character. 

On 2/18/2020 at 1:32 AM, AvatarofDiscord said:

Mark x Lyn: It’s honestly nice seeing Lyn interact with the OG avatar and her bond with him is nice

Gonzales x Lilina: Everyone likes to ship Lilina with Roy, but her support with Gonzales is just pure preciousness

I like Gonzales x Lilina simply because he needs love and I'm not fan of Roy x Lilina, it's utterly bland. At least Gonzales marrying Lilina is hilarious and heart warming in a way. I think this ship has some following though, even if for lolz

Mark x Lyn is definitely not underrated though. Especially considering that Mark is a half character. When it gets a remake and Mark turns a proper avatar, probably it will be the most popular ship.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, Etheus said:

Byleth x Shamir

Lon'qu x Olivia

Virion x Anyone

Shamir is a considerably minor character but even so I thought she is quite popular with Byleth? 

Agree with Virion ships. Especially Virion x Lissa, Virion x Cordelia, and Virion x Robin. He has really good conversation with them. 

On 2/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, Hawkwing said:

Clive and Mathilda: It hits that sweet mark between being hilariously cheesy and actually pretty sweet, with some good black comedy thrown in given that their romance focuses upon how great both of them are at killing people. I'm laughing and smiling all throughout their support conversations, and I'm kind of surprised that they're not discussed more.

Clive and Mathilda is hilariously cheesy, I like them together despite not being a fan of Clive alone, they make a great duo on story. It's funny that they also recognise that Mathilda is the stronger of the two. Echoes cast is incredibly underrated though, and not as discussed as it should be. 

On 2/18/2020 at 1:50 AM, Lightningdawn said:

Marth x Kris is just my personal favorite ship, it's my two favorite characters together  and Marth's lines about Kris being his other half just really cemented my love for the pairing. Everytime I see them interact I just wish I could pair them romantically.

I always thought Marth had repressed gay feelings for Kris lol. 

Edited by Mylady

6 hours ago, Mylady said:

Clive and Mathilda is hilariously cheesy, I like them together despite not being a fan of Clive alone, they make a great duo on story. It's funny that they also recognise that Mathilda is the stronger of the two. Echoes cast is incredibly underrated though, and not as discussed as it should be. 

Same; I don't like Clive as a character, but I do like Clive and Mathilda; they are, as you said, hilariously cheesy. Yet that makes them very endearing when it normally shouldn't. 

For me, the most hilarious moment between them would probably be in the DLC Memory Prism when they first meet, and Clive tries to woo her. She laments that she's not considered marriageable because she's a warrior woman who doesn't know how to dance, so she isn't a 'proper lady'. Clive reassures her that young men across Zofia, including himself, are infatuated with her not in spite of her being a beautiful badass knight, but because of it. Very sweet. Then he says this:

Clive: "The bards sing of Lady Mathilda as the finest of the Knights in Zofia! Boys the kingdom round whisper your name before they go to sleep. I fear my friends and I were no exception."

That's right; he tries to woo Mathilda by admitting to her that he used to pleasure himself at the thought of her. That's certainly a... unique approach. Yet, evidently, it must've worked, and I just find that hilarious. 

On 2/22/2020 at 2:54 PM, Hawkwing said:

Because people are bitter that she retires from knighthood to wed Clive instead of domming on the battlefield in their ending. Never mind that with how powerful and pervasive the pressures that be are, coupled with how sensitive to her surroundings Mathilda is shown to be, she has a good explanation for it.

14 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Because people are bitter that she retires from knighthood to wed Clive instead of domming on the battlefield in their ending. Never mind that with how powerful and pervasive the pressures that be are, coupled with how sensitive to her surroundings Mathilda is shown to be, she has a good explanation for it.

Also there's the fact that almost every ending in SoV is badly-written and ill-fitting, and are thus easy to discount. 

I'd say Ignatz x Leonie. I rarely see people talk about them but its quite a neat little pairing. In their supports they seem quite close with Leonie being gentle and supportive with Ignatz, without any trace of her sometimes abrasive personality. It shows Ignatz brings out the best in Leonie, and Ignatz probably needs someone who's gentle with him. Its also a neat contrast between a more masculine girl and feminine boy. 

15 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Personally I chose to believe Mathilda retired from knighthood in order to become Alm's all powerful spymaster. Her ending doesn't mention it because she's just that good at it. 

That woman aint a housewife.