Describe your "perfect" Fire Emblem game.

Only played about 4 games. (And not a bunch of two of them but I'll give this a shot.)

Mines and Light Runes return, since mines can be disarmed by thieves, maybe have level design where disarming mines with Thieves lets you bypass groups of dangerous enemies in a "Secure Throne" map for instance while if you have no thief you're gonna have to try to fight your way through.

No exploration or if it exists, make it like Echoes, I'm not a fan of the Monestary. (Takes more time to load than Deadly Premonition, which has an actual open world with driving on the switch, Can't talk to most generics and items are represented by blue particle effects rather than actually being visible.)

No Self-insert Avatar character or at least make them a relatively minor character in the story like Mark who isn't an OP gameplay unit.

Spells either use books or HP, maybe a mix of both? (So really powerful spells take health in addition to being limited.)

Spells like Invoke, I know they're kinda hard to balance but if a game is going to be broken, at least be fun in the "I can summon illusion Pegasus riders" way rather than "I have a unit who can basically solo the game." 

Small support count I guess? Like FE7 but without the support limit per character, I'd rather have well-written supports where a character that can talk with 3-4 others rather than trying to do everyone but then having to sacrifice dialogue quality. 

No Child units, it only makes supports worse because sorry, I do not buy that almost anyone would be willing to marry almost anyone else.

No marrying Dragons that look underaged. (Or regular humans in the case of characters like Ricken.)

No Gender-locked classes.

Rescue returning.

Death Reactions like Echoes and re-writting some plot events if a character dies. (like how Matthew dying early on in FE7 effects a cutscene later.)

If the avatar character needs praised, have a system where it's done via actual player performance. (A bit like the battle history mechanic of FE7 after you clear the game.)

Don't have characters shine as if made of Plastic or have black lines on their nose to emphasis their noses. (Only Three houses did this but I think it looks really awful.)

No silly cutscene stuff that look extremely out of place. (Characters jumping leg-shattering distances into the air while fighting, or stuff like Edelgard's axe vanishing in the prologue of Three Houses.)

Edited by Samz707

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Traveling the map for each chapter like Sacred Stones or Awakening. So that includes fighting monsters and items that make them appear, they don't even have to be monsters. 
  • Have post-game content that allows you to travel the map. Again, like Awakening or Sacred Stones. This would also include a place for DLCs/Spotpass stuff/Tower where you unlock characters and/or items.
  • In-depth support conversations, best example is Three Houses.
  • All lines are voiced like Three Houses.
  • Being able to class change when you stretch past Level 20. The classes are set, however you can use items to reclass.
  • Staves do not equip.
  • Hammerne staves are more common to come upon, but are still a rare or expensive item. Also throw in a very rare item that gives permanent durability.
  • Avatar character who does not impact the story largely or at all. Perfectly fine without one too.
  • Transform gauge for beast/dragon/laguz units with infinite weapon durability. So exactly how it was in RD.
  • Radiant Dawn's forging system.
  • Radiant Dawn's weapon triangles and weaknesses. So no arrows effective against dragon riders and such.
  • Skill capacity return with an item that increases capacity (satori sign does this for laguz with additional skill).
  • More unique skills given the character's background. As an example, give Stefan and Soren something that relates to their laguz bloodlines.
  • Return base conversations in info.

wow that is a lot of good ideas 🙂 Could I share my idea too ?

I really like randomize. So let make example about 3 houses.

- I like chaos, so 10 - 20 houses (or more) fighting each others is great 🙂 Your avatar can only chose 1 house and beat 19 other houses ( or more ).  

- Every units would be randomize join houses ( not all the same every playthrough ) I think that would make a good fresh new game. And just explain " other dimentions" to make the logic 🙂

- Each house can summon heroes from other fire emblem game ( yeah, like FE:Heroes 🙂 ) The summoned heroes would be randomize in every new game, too 🙂

now I think it would be perfect game for me 🙂

Edited by Hong Nhi

I’d like to see a Fire Emblem that took inspiration from some stories/series from the Western fantasy canon. Not Tolkien or Lewis, but more along the lines of the works of Clark Ashton Smith or Robert E. Howard. Both of these authors penned some great fantasy stories, such as Smith’s Zothique or Hyperborea Cycles or Howard’s Conan/Kull/Bran Mak Morn stories. That or just stole some ideas from Thieves’ World I guess.

Story/Characters - While I do enjoy a good unique story, I'm also not too bothered by the traditional FE story of lord vs empire, oh look there is dragons too. The only thing I want is that it is told well and that the characters are likeable and unique. The only thing I want specifically is a lord we haven't seen before/not as much. FE tends to always have the naive prince who fights for his friends, the hot headed strong guy who charges head first into battle or the female protagonist who starts off really great but inevitably gets shafted by her male counterpart. Edelgard and Dimitri were great departures from these tropes and I would like to see more lords that defy expectations and aren't interchangeable with other lords in the series. Also, if there is a route split, do it like Sacred Stones but have it be longer.

Artstyle/Animation - For  artist, I'd love to see Hidari return because their art for SoV is imo the best in the series. Either them or Daisuke Izuka or Sachiko Wada. I wouldn't mind if the game went back to 2D or stayed 3D tho, if staying 3D, I would like for them to take from SoV and have battles flow more. SoV battles felt so quick and seamless while TH  went back to the rather rigid 'I'll hit you, step back and let you hit me' animations. Something I think would also be cool is if like Dragon Quest XI, you had the option of playing in 3D or 2D I dunno. I doubt it will happen (unless maybe it's an option in a remake). Also, whoever did Awakening's CGs needs to come back too. They were my favourite.

Music - Whoever did Awakening's music. Awakening has some great music and Id Purpose is still one of my favourite if not my favourite final map theme in the series.

Gameplay:

Base - While I enjoyed the monastery, it was way too much and took up way too much time and was needless padding. I would prefer for PoR's/RD's base to come back, however, to have features like an arena for leveling up weapon ranks or just to get gold or other prizes like weapons, a mess hall to eat and boost unit stats and supports between units, just stuff like that.

Units - I personally loved the personal combat arts/spells for each unit and I would like to see it return. I would like a return to a just plain and simple two-tiered or even three-tiered class system where a class can only use that class' weapons. Also weapon ranks to only be E-S with no + ranks in between. 3H's system works for 3H but it's too much otherwise. No reclassing.

Battle - More victory conditions and better maps. Bring back battalions. Capture but Fates style capture so that it's more so a fun optional thing rather than something needed to recruit certain characters like in Thracia. Remove adjutants so that rescue can be brought back. Keep monsters from 3H.  Keep linked attacks. Keep super canto. Make steal more useful and worthwhile to use. Bring back weapon triangle, I kind of miss it.

Etc. - Bring back gauntlets. Keep bows the way they are from 3H. Keep magic split up as black and white magic. 

Also finally, remove avatar. And that's it.

I'm going to write in a way that takes note of what games did well:

Genealogy of the Holy War: Generally morally greyer characters and stories, larger-scale campaigns - albeit with some modernizations.

Thracia 776: Multiple objectives that also focus on defense would be good in giving better utility of Armor Knights and Generals. A generally hopeless feeling of being constantly on the run (seen in the earlier chapters) would also be good - although the gameplay really needs to be more forgiving, such as allowing extra turns for remaning non-Lord units to escape in Escape Chapters.

Binding Blade: An actual Lord that relies more on teamwork is something that I need for realism - but the gameplay needs to be fixed; see Fates entry. An actual villain nation leader that relies on his political charisma and his nation's industrial-military complex is something we just don't see often either. A descriptive worldbuilding that not only gives insight in how the different nations came to be, but also one which are reflected in the chapters, such as Chapter 11 of the Ebracum route. Another genius thing, storywise, was how the importance of diplomacy was implied in Elliwood's dealings with the Etrurian nation, and how the lack of acknowledgement ended up being Hector's undoing. Also, bring back the +30% crit bonus for Swordmasters and Berserkers, the generally higher stats required for Skill/Luck/accuracy, and the viability for dodge-tanking.

Sacred Stones: Another nation that is of a Republic would be interesting, and quite fitting of this progressive-conservative divide we are seeing in recent years.

Tellius: Having a morally complex set of nations, with allies and enemies on all sides is something we need to have. Because even World War 2 had them.

Fates: Gameplay-wise, a lot of things went right. Improved enemy AI forced me to play smarter and more proactively. The scaled EXP discouraged low-manning, and essentially forced me to fight with numbers. The skills were there to either power up the unit him/herself, or the allies around (at least Roy should have had those skills to buff the units around him) and provided ways to fight other than relying on high stats. There were also de-buffs that further kept me on toes. Also, raising this game's Est was much easier thanks to Attack Stance. So many things were there that made the game actually feel challenging, kept me on the toes, and made me rely on using as many units as I reasonably can - regardless of what my unit stats were like.

Three Houses: Pokemon has Leaf/Hilda/Rosa/Serena. Persona 3 has Minako, which in my opinion is a well-done female leader, protagonist, and avatar. The Marvelverse has Captain Marvel, and DC-verse has had Wonder Woman. We need more female leads like Edelgard - someone who remains the center in focus of the story.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions (and Persona for honorary mention): If the above is not an option, then a male lead that doesn't always hog the spotlight. Persona 3 had Mitsuru as the strategic leader instead of Minako. Persona 4 had Yosuke and Naoto doing the majority of sound-boarding and investigating every logic, theory, and clues in the serial murder mystery instead of Yu. Tokyo Mirage Sessions had Tsubasa, Touma, and others shining in the spotlights instead of Itsuki. And this new FE game should have the Lord's proteges bouncing off strategy and tactics, his/her other allies discussing different cultures and histories, and other followers discussing politics. And I want this to be done properly too, with the appropriate time allocated to create a complete set of dialogues depending on who is still alive. If this requires this FE to be on the works until 2030, then so fucking be it.

Edited by henrymidfields

Screen_Shot_2018-04-27_at_11.43.10_AM.jp

Just imagine the coffee being that sweet, sweet drama and me making Lisa's face.

I'm a sucker for two sides you care about fighting if there's a good reason for it. Radiant Dawn cheapened it a bit with the Blood Pact and Three Houses had problems making the Golden Deer feel relevant in the war, but my goodness do I like the intense battle dialogue in those games.

I think I'd like a game where there's only one route, but one where there are smaller choices to make that can either win new allies and/or lose old ones. I also think it could be cool to have a game where you play as one group defending your homeland à la every Fire Emblem game ever, but after you win and conquer the enemy nation there's a time skip and you start playing as the underdogs in the recently conquered, formerly hostile nation, like the Dawn Brigade. 

To try and structure this scatterbrained post a bit, I'll write a list of things I think could be cool.

1. One route that contains several choices, both major and minor. 
  2. Timeskip and two different groups of playable characters. You get one group in the pre timeskip period and one in the post timeskip period. One of the aforementioned choices should be which group wins in the end
  3. The ability to recruit very rare playable units. You should also be able to lose playable characters that follow you. They could join the other group down the line.
  4. Optional: Industrial Revolution setting. Perhaps magic vs. technology could be a part of the conflict.
Edited by Thane

Short and sweet (pun totally intended): I would want the gameplay mechanics and support systems of the newer games mixed with the excellent stories, characters, and settings of the older games. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:38 AM, Thane said:

1. One route that contains several choices, both major and minor. 
  2. Timeskip and two different groups of playable characters. You get one group in the pre timeskip period and one in the post timeskip period. One of the aforementioned choices should be which group wins in the end
  3. The ability to recruit very rare playable units. You should also be able to lose playable characters that follow you. They could join the other group down the line.
  4. Optional: Industrial Revolution setting. Perhaps magic vs. technology could be a part of the conflict.

Sound like good ideas although I don't understand some parts. ( I'm bad in English )

1, U mean like choose between Eiraka or Ephiam route, right ? 

2.  Pre timeskip period team vs  post timeskip period ? 

Sound like heisei riders vs showa riders xD ^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm think about it.

How about every player only control 1 unit ( their avatar ) ,and find a rom 10 vs 10 ( or more ), to make a online duel.

Not just a simple duel. The player choose side they want to join ( red, blue, yellow v...v.... ), every duel is every battle with other countries. They're still level up normally. Though time, some good players can be promote to Marshals, v...v.... They have more control in that war.

Edited by Hong Nhi

Berwick saga but easier

I guess, having played a few more fe games, I have some new ones for my list:

• FE6's Marcus is one of the more balanced Early game prepromotes IMO; I'd like to see more like him.
  • Quality over quantity in terms of enemies
  • Lower growths overall-Again, like FE6.
  • Swordmasters with 30 crit bonus, Berserkers with 15
  • Rogue class, like FE8's version of it
  • Something closer to the GBA era games
  • A base that is like Navaron from Berwick saga; I really liked that part of it.
  • Good enemy armor knights
  • ONE WELL-DONE ROUTE PLEASE

Multiple routes with morally gray characters (is it that obvious that I love Three Houses?) which each have equal care, length, and depth put into them (is it that obvious that I also hate Three Houses?).

A player avatar with dialogue options and customizable stats/growths and whatever generic class I choose, who's important enough that they feel like a part of the story but unimportant enough that they don't take away from the actual main character.

No avatar worship.

No genderlocked classes.

MORE CLASS VARIETY. Fates did this well imo (I'm mostly just saying that because of the Spear Fighter class). Cut down the amount of sword units, increase the amount of axe units, GIVE ME SPEAR INFANTRY (god I love spear infantry classes so much why does FE hate spear infantry).

Balance the classes please. Stop making flier units broken. Give them actual drawbacks.

I'm one of the people who actually like child units, but PLEASE don't just shoehorn them into the plot like in fates. If child units don't fit into the plot, don't put them in at all. They're cool, but not that cool.

I like the whole 3D base thing, but god damn was Garreg Mach Monastery TOO BIG. Divide Garreg Mach by 4 and that's a good size.

Bring back the weapon triangle. I couldn't care less if it's "not realistic" Fire Emblem is a game about dragons and magic and gods and magic dragon-gods. Who gives a shit about realism?

Personal skills are cool. I really liked stuff like Odin's personal skill. I feel like it adds more personality to a character and I just really like them.

The whole rewinding time thing is cool, but don't give me like 12 rewinds. 3 AT MOST. Or just don't add it in at all.

Good map design. I feel like this goes without saying, but cool maps and thought-out enemy placement goes a long way.

A variety of objectives each with the same amount of exposure. I'm tired of routing the enemy, and seizing the throne or defeating the boss isn't much better. Defend an area from an onslaught of powerful enemies? Hell yeah! Protect allies from an onslaught of powerful enemies? Hell yeah! Make it to a target location while defending against an onslaught of powerful enemies? Hell yeah (are you sensing a pattern here?)!

And finally, compelling characters. And I don't just mean the main characters. Flesh out each of the characters and make them feel like people. Make me feel sad when they die so it's worth resetting for them. Oh no, Bord Cord Shmord and Dord died. It's not like I knew anything about them anyways, so who cares? Oh no, Sylvain died. Guess I gotta reset now, because after seeing the depth of his character and personality I have to keep him alive, I really like him.