Any chance of a sequel?

Samurai Navarre

I think it's pretty likely.

If we do get a sequel, they better keep the Archaneans. If they cut them, they'd have to be very specific about the Three Houses roster to get me to buy it, as in including Felix, Sylvain, and Ingrid, as well as Ferdinand and Seteth.

Roy would also be a big selling point, but if they include Ike and not him, well...it's a no from me.

I can't see them cutting anyone, though. It should be easy to just port them over, right?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Lau said:

If we do get a sequel, they better keep the Archaneans. If they cut them, they'd have to be very specific about the Three Houses roster to get me to buy it, as in including Felix, Sylvain, and Ingrid, as well as Ferdinand and Seteth.

Roy would also be a big selling point, but if they include Ike and not him, well...it's a no from me.

I can't see them cutting anyone, though. It should be easy to just port them over, right?

I don't think Koei Tecmo ever makes cuts in their Warriors game. So everyone from FEW1 would be in FEW2 if there is a sequel. Also, I like your tastes in Three Houses rep.

Edited by NSSKG151

18 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I don't think Koei Tecmo ever makes cuts in their Warriors game. So everyone from FEW1 would be in FEW2 if there is a sequel. Also, I like your tastes in Three Houses rep.

They've done it.

In Dynasty Warriors, they introduced Zuo Ci in 5... only for him to go AWOL until reappearing in 8.

More common in Samurai Warriors. Introduced in the first game, Kunoichi was not in 2. Goemon, also from the first, only had a non-playable cameo in 2 and was fully missing in 3 too. Musashi, Kojiro, and Gracia, introduced in 2, weren't in 3 (although Gracia returned for the expansion) either.

So... don't discount roster cuts. Although, it might not be an issue for FE:W, maybe.

5 hours ago, Florete said:

Oh don't worry, I'm sure people will still bitch about the roster in FEW2.

if IntSys and/or Koei (can't remember who made the roster picks for FEW) somehow manage to fuck it up once again, then people surely will bitch about it, and they'd be justified

also 3H's 100%-guaranteed bias will cause controversies as well, if CYL4 is anything to go by i guess we have to hope for the next FE title to flop or be a remake if we don't want this kind of controversies

anyway, yeah, i think chances for a sequel are decently high, but similarly to what many have already stated, i don't see it happening in the near future

Edited by Yexin

7 hours ago, Lau said:

Warriors games rarely ever cut characters, so I think it's very likely we'll see everyone from the first game return, if not in the Story Mode, then as History Mode unlocks

8 hours ago, Lau said:

Considering Warriors Orochi 3/4 have like 180 characters, no.

I think KT did cutsies back with Dynasty Warriors 6 because they were swapping to a new combat system, both the combat system and the cuts were heavily criticized. Given the choice between two evils- clones and cuts- KT is much more inclined I'd say to have excessive clones than to remove anyone's favorite. 

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Considering Warriors Orochi 3/4 have like 180 characters, no.

I think KT did cutsies back with Dynasty Warriors 6 because they were swapping to a new combat system, both the combat system and the cuts were heavily criticized. Given the choice between two evils- clones and cuts- KT is much more inclined I'd say to have excessive clones than to remove anyone's favorite. 

The only cuts that happen, barring an engine change, are original characters (DQ Heroes 1 to 2) and crossover characters (Ryu Hyabusa from WO3 to WO4, re-added in WO4 Ultimate).

Honestly the only things that disappointed me with FEW were the roster being near-identical for a lot of characters and the story being a bit too short. Yes there's path divergences so you can maintain that playstyle if you wish but that tells me the problem with the roster was it was too small.

Aside from the lack of Local Wireless Play (which the game doesn't need to be fair) in addition to those things, I don't think there's any real problems with the game.

Just now, Etheus said:

Voice-free menus.

Personally didn't mind the voiced menus, it added a little character to the game and at least you got to choose who spoke after increasing each character's support ranks. An option to turn it off if you don't like it sounds perfectly reasonable though.

1 minute ago, Light Strategist said:

Personally didn't mind the voiced menus, it added a little character to the game and at least you got to choose who spoke after increasing each character's support ranks. An option to turn it off if you don't like it sounds perfectly reasonable though.

I'm talking about the camp, more so than anything. Where you did NOT choose the character, and the dialogue on every skill acquisition, weapon upgrade, transaction, etc. was super annoying.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

I'm talking about the camp, more so than anything. Where you did NOT choose the character, and the dialogue on every skill acquisition, weapon upgrade, transaction, etc. was super annoying.

I haven't played in such a long time that I entirely forgot. Maybe they could make the camp more interactive and less of a menu? More like a hub as you can see in some Dynasty Warriors games. I think it'd smooth things out a little and be a bit more immersive while reducing how annoying it might be.

8 hours ago, Samurai Navarre said:

Why would they give us those 4 empty skill slots like that? No playable Darios sucks. It's disappointing about none of the villains being playable too.

Be honest with me. Would you really want to play as villains like Gharnef, Iago, and Validar?

The only villains I'd see myself playing as would be Darios and I suppose maybe Gharnef, cuz I don't give two shits about Validar, and I absolutely fucking despise Iago.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is still a bunch of characters they could add:

1. Oracle Din
  2. Oracle Nayru
  3. Oracle Farore
    1. Strange Flute weapon for Young Link (the closest I'd say to Oracle Link)
  4. Onyx
  5. Veran
  6. Twinrova
  7. Rauru
  8. Saria
    1. "Shadow Knife" weapon for Impa.
  9. Nabooru
  10. Hero's Spirit
  11. Groose
  12. Makar
  13. Linebeck
  14. Bryne
    1. Four Sword weapon for Toon Link
  15. Ezlo
  16. Vaati (Minish for playable, Wind Demon for Giant Boss)
  17. The Lady or whatever the princess was called in Triforce Heroes (yes, the game deserves one, just one, cookie).

But, I admit these are mostly secondary characters, not big names that could draw in big sales. And, I admit to being biased towards the Oracle games. 

---

Oh yeah, the possibility of an FEW2. Very likely. But I have no interest in the 3H cast, so if they'd be the centerpiece, I'd probably not care enough to buy the game. I need the emotive incentive more than I do in a mainline FE. 

I'd want an Xenoblade Warriors instead, ideally with unlikely "fair" representation for XCX, and that might stand a shot with KT speaking about the possibility before. Maybe there is a slim chance if KT preferred diversity in franchises to striking the scalding iron, they could do XB Warriors before FEW2. Although I wouldn't think KT would make two Nintendo-exclusive franchise Musous in one year due to me imagining "saturation", and FEW2 would more likely delay any XB Warriors plans.

I don't see this being an either or scenario. Warriors games can be made by either Team Ninja or Omega Force and both seem capable of dividing into teams to tackle multiple ongoing projects.

Also, the work involved in a FEW2 is a LOT lower than a Xenoblade. We're talking about a game that already has an engine (which has already been expanded with Three Houses characters), core art assets, and much more. The framework is already there, making the game an ideal side project.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

I don't see this being an either or scenario. Warriors games can be made by either Team Ninja or Omega Force and both seem capable of dividing into teams to tackle multiple ongoing projects.

Also, the work involved in a FEW2 is a LOT lower than a Xenoblade. We're talking about a game that already has an engine (which has already been expanded with Three Houses characters), core art assets, and much more. The framework is already there, making the game an ideal side project.

Point taken. Getting the engine done is probably the most important/hard thing. And 3H runs on it you say? The flexibility to use it for two very different games is incredible, would be a harder test of it than FEW2 could ever be barring technical performance.

But, my "saturation" concerns, without hard evidence, remain. FE and Xenoblade both Nintendo 1st/2nd party titles and each is an RPG. Now, the difference between SRPG and plain old JRPG is big, I know there are FE fans who don't necessarily find JRPGs fun, so the audiences do not entirely overlap, I fear there is still too much of that. Would potential buyers go "I only have so much cash for games at the moment, so I should only get one Warriors for now, even if I like FE and Xeno"?

I could more realistically envision HW2 or even a Mario or Pokemon or Smash Warriors (not that I'd want any of these things, Mario would be really out of place) releasing within a year FEW2/XBW, because Mario/Poke/Smash has a much wider audience and difference in feel. And a Trails/Ys Warriors, being JRPGs but from a different company with different console- mostly non-Nintendo- preferences, means there would be less fanbase overlap with FEW2/XBW, so a same-year release here would be more feasible too. It's a really specific "saturation" concern I have here.

Honestly, I feel that the best rout would be to great an entirely new roster, leave all the old characters in FE: Warriors 1. Yeah, people would gripe about the lack of Marth, Chrom, and Lyn, but would anyone really miss every Fates lord? The other icons had their time to shine, and I feel like passing on the baton to a new group of heroes is in order. And while I really like Three Houses, I hope it doesnt get the same treatment as Fates in FE: W 2. The three lords, a tag team of Seteth and Flayn, and one popular male and female character from each of the houses is the most I think they could do while still having room for other characters from Jugdral, Tellius, and Elibe games. 

Also, I feel like if they did anything for Sacred Stones, I'd rather have Ephriam and Myrrh instead of Erika, or is that just me?

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Point taken. Getting the engine done is probably the most important/hard thing. And 3H runs on it you say? The flexibility to use it for two very different games is incredible, would be a harder test of it than FEW2 could ever be barring technical performance.

But, my "saturation" concerns, without hard evidence, remain. FE and Xenoblade both Nintendo 1st/2nd party titles and each is an RPG. Now, the difference between SRPG and plain old JRPG is big, I know there are FE fans who don't necessarily find JRPGs fun, so the audiences do not entirely overlap, I fear there is still too much of that. Would potential buyers go "I only have so much cash for games at the moment, so I should only get one Warriors for now, even if I like FE and Xeno"?

I could more realistically envision HW2 or even a Mario or Pokemon or Smash Warriors (not that I'd want any of these things, Mario would be really out of place) releasing within a year FEW2/XBW, because Mario/Poke/Smash has a much wider audience and difference in feel. And a Trails/Ys Warriors, being JRPGs but from a different company with different console- mostly non-Nintendo- preferences, means there would be less fanbase overlap with FEW2/XBW, so a same-year release here would be more feasible too. It's a really specific "saturation" concern I have here.

I think the concern is unfounded. Warriors games have a small but dedicated in-built audience that tends to buy all of the games in the genre (which is why the franchise and its closely related Samurai Warriors and Warriors Orochi cousins are so saturated). 

The audience for Xenoblade is still different from the FE audience. There is always overlap, but it isn't substantial enough to make or break the sales of either.

Plus, for saturation to matter, these would have to release within months of each other, which is profoundly unlikely.

6 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Honestly, I feel that the best rout would be to great an entirely new roster, leave all the old characters in FE: Warriors 1. Yeah, people would gripe about the lack of Marth, Chrom, and Lyn, but would anyone really miss every Fates lord? The other icons had their time to shine, and I feel like passing on the baton to a new group of heroes is in order. And while I really like Three Houses, I hope it doesnt get the same treatment as Fates in FE: W 2. The three lords, a tag team of Seteth and Flayn, and one popular male and female character from each of the houses is the most I think they could do while still having room for other characters from Jugdral, Tellius, and Elibe games. 

Also, I feel like if they did anything for sacred stones, If rather have Ephriam and Myrrh instead of Erika, is that just me?

That literally causes a separate roster complaint. Then you would have fans complaining about them cutting characters and content, going against Warriors tradition, without any good reason.

8 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Also, I feel like if they did anything for Sacred Stones, I'd rather have Ephriam and Myrrh instead of Erika, or is that just me?

What's the point of ditching everyone from the first game though? We've already established that Warriors games very rarely ever cut characters. The only thing cutting everyone from the first game would do is make people even more mad.

You can still have the old cast make an appearance as History Mode exclusives, that way the story mode can focus all of the potential new characters.

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

That literally causes a separate roster complaint. Then you would have fans complaining about them cutting characters and content, going against Warriors tradition, without any good reason.

3 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

What's the point of ditching everyone from the first game though? We've already established that Warriors games very rarely ever cut characters. The only thing cutting everyone from the first game would do is make people even more mad.

You can still have the old cast make an appearance as History Mode exclusives, that way the story mode can focus all of the potential new characters.

I see your point, and this just my opinion, but I worry they just keep adding characters wothout cutting any, it will lead to a sort of Roster Bloat, where they have to fit in way more characters than any person would realistically need. Also, I already said that many people would gripe about it, but people do that with any change. Also, while they haven't cut people for Warriors games in the past, which isn't entirely true, who to say it has to stay the same for their crossover. FE: Warriors is technically a different game. Alsp, having that any characters will lead to more work for the devs, a far off release date, and less interesting and unique characters, with many just becoming reskins of others.

Just now, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

I see your point, and this just my opinion, but I worry they just keep adding characters wothout cutting any, it will lead to a sort of Roster Bloat, where they have to fit in way more characters than any person would realistically need. Also, I already said that many people would gripe about it, but people do that with any change. Also, while they haven't cut people for Warriors games in the past, which isn't entirely true, who to say it has to stay the same for their crossover. FE: Warriors is technically a different game. Alsp, having that any characters will lead to more work for the devs, a far off release date, and less interesting and unique characters, with many just becoming reskins of others.

Nobody cares about roster bloat in a Warriors game though. For a series like Fire Emblem where everyone's favorite cast is from a different game, it's better this way.

3 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Nobody cares about roster bloat in a Warriors game though. For a series like Fire Emblem where everyone's favorite cast is from a different game, it's better this way.

I have to agree.

The main appeal of Warriors games these days IS roster bloat. You see Warriors Orochi 4 proudly display "over 1xx playable characters!" on the case and everything.

It's awesome. Warriors games are densely content packed, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

11 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

How can speak for everyone and say absolutely no one cares about roster bloat? There's got to be at least one guy out there. And heres the thing. I wouldn't be against pulling forward old characters if there were just one or two to repsesnt each of their games. The first game had way to many Fates and Awakening characters, as much as I like those games. Do we really need, again, that many Fates characters? Are Owain, Tharja, and Olivia really must haves for the future? 

@Etheus @Gregster101

I think the fundemental disagreement here is, personally, I always prefered smaller rosters full of meaningful and fleshed out characters rather than hundreds of characters nobody can remember their name, or even what game they're from. I can see to appeal for some people, but as far as personal tastes go, that's not my thing. I'm sure that's the writer speaking in me more than anything, though.

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora