Any chance of a sequel?

Samurai Navarre

6 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

How can speak for everyone and say absolutely no one cares about roster bloat? There's got to be at least one guy out there. And heres the thing. I wouldn't be against pulling forward old characters if there were just one or two to repsesnt each of their games. The first game had way to many Fates and Awakening characters, as much as I like those games. Do we really need, again, that many Fates characters? Are Owain, Tharja, and Olivia really must haves for the future? 

Okay, find us a highly supported or upvoted thread or poll on any forum, created before today, that indicates a large percentage of the community for a Warriors game wants fewer characters to play with.

Also, you haven't put forth any gameplay benefit to cutting most of the existing roster. Even if it were something as nebulous as a cleaner character selection screen, there are better alternative ways of achieving that which could lead to improved gameplay - ie: combining all characters with the same moveset into costumes of one another.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Okay, find us a highly supported or upvoted thread or poll on any forum, created before today, that indicates a large percentage of the community for a Warriors game wants fewer characters to play with.

I was just fooling, or, being an arse, as it were. 

36 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Also, you haven't put forth any gameplay benefit to cutting most of the existing roster. Even if it were something as nebulous as a cleaner character selection screen, there are better alternative ways of achieving that which could lead to improved gameplay - ie: combining all characters with the same moveset into costumes of one another.

While those are good recommendations, I do feel that may cheapen the characters. Just imagine the "X character got shafted because theyre just a reskinned Caeda" that would rise from it. And while I said a clean slate would be my preference, that is in no way saying that is the only and definative answer. I obviously represent a very small chunk of the comunity, if any. 

So, all I'm trying to say is this. Redoing the roster from the ground up would allow for more in depth and crative new characters while simultaneously lowering development time as the old characters wouldn't have to be reworked and ported to the new engine. This is just my opinion, and does not mean it is the best decision for said game or franchise. 

Edit: Even if they did cram in a lot of characters, myabe the select screen could go by continent. IE: Archenae, Valentia, Jugdral, ECT. That way, you can keep an elegant charcater select screen with only a few options and then see all the characters once you select a continent.

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

10 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

While those are good recommendations, I do feel that may cheapen the characters. Just imagine the "X character got shafted because theyre just a reskinned Caeda" that would rise from it. And while I said a clean slate would be my preference, that is in no way saying that is the only and definative answer. I obviously represent a very small chunk of the comunity, if any. 

So, all I'm trying to say is this. Redoing the roster from the ground up would allow for more in depth and crative new characters while simultaneously lowering development time as the old characters wouldn't have to be reworked and ported to the new engine. This is just my opinion, and does not mean it is the best decision for said game or franchise. 

Who cares, everyone from the first game is coming back whether you like it or not.

To humor you, the only characters from the first game I can see getting cut are Gharnef, Validar, and Iago, cuz who the hell would miss these losers?

1 minute ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

While those are good recommendations, I do feel that may cheapen the characters. Just imagine the "X character got shafted because theyre just a reskinned Qaeda" that would rise from it. And while I said a clean slate would be my preference, that is in no way saying that is the only and definative answer. I obviously represent a very small chunk of the comunity, if any. 

Well, I would present a counterargument that might actually make this preferable or less cheap for fans of that character.

Some characters in Warriors are factually, inarguably worse than others in the same moveset. 

Leo IS inarguably inferior to Elise. He lacks staff usage. He has lower luck - the most important stat in the game. The game actively relegates him to a support partner if you care about min-maxing.

Every other pegasus is inferior to Caeda already. She has the highest luck and the best personal weapon. She is the only character in the game who can achieve three effective damage bonuses. She is so much better than the other 2 it isn't even funny. 

Anna is flat out better than Takumi. Sakura is better than Niles. Lucina is better than Chrom. So on and so on. The character with the higher luck is flat out superior unless one of their competitors has staff usage or a better weapon.

And fans of those characters would probably love to not be penalized for preferring the inferior character.

Also, there's another gameplay benefit. Imagine a game where every prf weapon can be traded around between every character of that weapon type and every weapon had its own unique personal skill, that wasn't necessarily just limited to effective damage. Maybe Navarre's Wo Dao has innate Critical + while Felix's Sword of Maralta had healing over time. Maybe each personal weapon has a different number of slots - one could have an extra boost slot in exchange for a slaying slot.

2 hours ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Honestly, I feel that the best rout would be to great an entirely new roster, leave all the old characters in FE: Warriors 1. Yeah, people would gripe about the lack of Marth, Chrom, and Lyn, but would anyone really miss every Fates lord? The other icons had their time to shine, and I feel like passing on the baton to a new group of heroes is in order. And while I really like Three Houses, I hope it doesnt get the same treatment as Fates in FE: W 2. The three lords, a tag team of Seteth and Flayn, and one popular male and female character from each of the houses is the most I think they could do while still having room for other characters from Jugdral, Tellius, and Elibe games. 

Also, I feel like if they did anything for Sacred Stones, I'd rather have Ephriam and Myrrh instead of Erika, or is that just me?

I would miss the Fates royals if they were cut in a new game. Azura, Xander and Elise were some of my favorite characters to play as in FEW1, not to mention other characters I liked using such as Cordelia, Owain and Linde. I would also consider not buying a sequal if they made such huge cuts to the roster like that. Just because Three Houses is the most popular title now and is likely to be in the spotlight in spinoff stuff doesn't mean they are just going to ignore Awakening and Fates completely. Besides, a sequel would likely run off the same engine FEW1 used so it would be easy to port over the old cast and make small tweaks to their appearance and movesets if needed.

Also, I don't understand why everyone is assuming the sequel would suddenly focus on Jugdral, Tellius and Elibe characters when it looks far more likely to me that the newcomers would be mostly a huge chunk of Three Houses characters, a couple new OCs, Ike, Roy and if we are lucky maybe Hector and Micaiah. Three Houses bloat is inevitable whether people like it or not. I'm sure IS knows it is their biggest thing since Awakening and they are going to milk that Three Houses dry while it is still holding its massive popularity.

7 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I would miss the Fates royals if they were cut in a new game. Azura, Xander and Elise were some of my favorite characters to play as in FEW1, not to mention other characters I liked using such as Cordelia, Owain and Linde. I would also consider not buying a sequal if they made such huge cuts to the roster like that. Just because Three Houses is the most popular title now and is likely to be in the spotlight in spinoff stuff doesn't mean they are just going to ignore Awakening and Fates completely. Besides, a sequel would likely run off the same engine FEW1 used so it would be easy to port over the old cast and make small tweaks to their appearance and movesets if needed.

Also, I don't understand why everyone is assuming the sequel would suddenly focus on Jugdral, Tellius and Elibe characters when it looks far more likely to me that the newcomers would be mostly a huge chunk of Three Houses characters, a couple new OCs, Ike, Roy and if we are lucky maybe Hector and Micaiah. Three Houses bloat is inevitable whether people like it or not. I'm sure IS knows it is their biggest thing since Awakening and they are going to milk that Three Houses dry while it is still holding its massive popularity.

Three Houses being one of the focus games is inevitable for sure, but I can also see Tellius and Elibe being the other focus games as well. Do you remember how much shit they got for leaving out characters from Tellius and Elibe besides Lyn?

21 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Who cares, everyone from the first game is coming back whether you like it or not.

I can tell it must be so as you've uncourtiously reminded me several times. Gods you're agressive about this. Can a fellow fan just have a different opinion without being harrassed for it?

8 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Three Houses being one of the focus games is inevitable for sure, but I can also see Tellius and Elibe being the other focus games as well. Do you remember how much shit they got for leaving out characters from Tellius and Elibe besides Lyn?

I agree. Tellius has a massive fanbase which is bigger now than I think it was when the games launched. Elibe has alwayse been one of the most popular, and in the same way that Marth is the mascot for Japan, Lyn really became the mascot for America. Honeslty, I would be happy if they added Eliwood, Hector, and Florina, although Sain and/or Kent would be welcome as well.

Edit: As a plus, our little tiff got this page set as Popular Now, so that has to count for something, doesn't it?

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

I do but I wonder how much they actually care about representing older titles because most of the time it seems IS just shrugs off any backlash they get. It honestly doesn't much sense business wise to do so since you would attract more people to buy the game by showing off more Three Houses characters since it is a game most people have played compared to showing characters hailing from games most people have never played or heard of. At most I can only see Tellius and Elibe getting the Archanea treatment and only getting about three characters each in base game.

Just now, NSSKG151 said:

I do but I wonder how much they actually care about representing older titles because most of the time it seems IS just shrugs off any backlash they get. It honestly doesn't much sense business wise to do so since you would attract more people to buy the game by showing off more Three Houses characters since it is a game most people have played compared to showing characters hailing from games most people have never played or heard of. At most I can only see Tellius and Elibe getting the Archanea treatment and only getting about three characters each in base game.

Counter-argument - we now have useful popularity polls in the form of Choose Your Legends that weren't available for FEW1 roster selection. 

And those polls show that certain Tellius characters in particular skew very, very high. It's the reason we received a lot of Tellius banners last year.

In addition, Heroes provides constant exposure to older games for a new audience, keeps existing popular characters like Hector and Ephraim relevant, and even creates new popularity for characters like Reinhardt.

3 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I very much doubt they will get the Archanea treatment, cuz that is just too small to represent a game.

12 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Be honest with me. Would you really want to play as villains like Gharnef, Iago, and Validar?

The only villains I'd see myself playing as would be Darios and I suppose maybe Gharnef, cuz I don't give two shits about Validar, and I absolutely fucking despise Iago.

I don't want Iago no. But Gharnef and Validar look fun. And why not? Didn't Hyrule Warriors give us playable villains?

1 hour ago, Samurai Navarre said:

I don't want Iago no. But Gharnef and Validar look fun. And why not? Didn't Hyrule Warriors give us playable villains?

Hyrule Warriors had far less problems making the villains playable, mainly cuz they were actually cool characters. The villains in Fire Emblem Warriors were never gonna be a big selling point considering the games they chose, but the fact that they went out of their way to pick the worst villains from those games really didn't help. Not to mention, all the villains are clones of each other, so there really isn't any exciting about being able to play as them whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Samurai Navarre said:

Well, if villains weren't playable in Hyrule Warriors, there would be like 5 playable characters. 😋

But hey, Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf is by far the best version of the character. He's freaking awesome. 

4 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Hyrule Warriors had far less problems making the villains playable, mainly cuz they were actually cool characters. The villains in Fire Emblem Warriors were never gonna be a big selling point considering the games they chose, but the fact that they went out of their way to pick the worst villains from those games really didn't help. Not to mention, all the villains are clones of each other, so there really isn't any exciting about being able to play as them whatsoever.

They would be clones of Tharja. But at least their Specials and Awakenings would be unique as always.

13 hours ago, Etheus said:

Counter-argument - we now have useful popularity polls in the form of Choose Your Legends that weren't available for FEW1 roster selection. 

And those polls show that certain Tellius characters in particular skew very, very high. It's the reason we received a lot of Tellius banners last year.

In addition, Heroes provides constant exposure to older games for a new audience, keeps existing popular characters like Hector and Ephraim relevant, and even creates new popularity for characters like Reinhardt.

Clearly that means we are getting Plumeria as a playable character in FEW2 since she got top 10 in CYL4 right? But eh, CYL can gauge popularity to a certain degree but for most part I find it unreliable since for the last few CYLs it has become less of who is everyone's favorite character and more of who do we want in Heroes that is not playable yet. Notice how Haar went from 37th place in CYL3 but fell down hard to 199th place in CYL4 after becoming playable in Heroes, or how Jill jumped from rank 52 last year to rank 22 this year, most likely because she is not playable in Heroes yet? Does that mean IS won't pick Haar for the sequel and use Jill instead because she scores higher now despite scoring lower than him in the first three years? Also, IS has as of yet to use CYL results for anything other than Heroes.

And Tellius only got a bunch of banners last year because IS wanted to pump as many beast units as they could out at the time since it was the hottest new thing in the game and the Tellius games were the best source for beast units.

1 hour ago, NSSKG151 said:

Clearly that means we are getting Plumeria as a playable character in FEW2 since she got top 10 in CYL4 right? But eh, CYL can gauge popularity to a certain degree but for most part I find it unreliable since for the last few CYLs it has become less of who is everyone's favorite character and more of who do we want in Heroes that is not playable yet. Notice how Haar went from 37th place in CYL3 but fell down hard to 199th place in CYL4 after becoming playable in Heroes, or how Jill jumped from rank 52 last year to rank 22 this year, most likely because she is not playable in Heroes yet? Does that mean IS won't pick Haar for the sequel and use Jill instead because she scores higher now despite scoring lower than him in the first three years? Also, IS has as of yet to use CYL results for anything other than Heroes.

And Tellius only got a bunch of banners last year because IS wanted to pump as many beast units as they could out at the time since it was the hottest new thing in the game and the Tellius games were the best source for beast units.

You wouldn't use one poll, and especially not the most recent due to diminishing interest in added heroes. You would consolidate results, with the first CYL poll having the largest influence. 

And well, if anyone from Heroes gets in, it would probably be Sharena. She's a really good fit for the setting, she's well liked, she'd fill one of the least populated unit types, and she'd make fast friends with everyone.

18 hours ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

I think the fundemental disagreement here is, personally, I always prefered smaller rosters full of meaningful and fleshed out characters rather than hundreds of characters nobody can remember their name, or even what game they're from. I can see to appeal for some people, but as far as personal tastes go, that's not my thing. I'm sure that's the writer speaking in me more than anything, though.

I don't really think a small cast would work for a FE Warriors game. A small cast would lead to a lot of fans getting angry at their characters or setting getting snubbed and it would ensure characters who absolutely need to be in the game not getting in. 

The original FE warriors tried a small cast and even when shrinking down to three continents the end result was that a lot of vital characters were nowhere to be seen.

6 hours ago, Samurai Navarre said:

They would be clones of Tharja. But at least their Specials and Awakenings would be unique as always.

They're all clones of Robin (who I guess Tharja is a clone of, but still). And even so, I still don't think the villains would make anyone super interested in playing them cuz of how much pathetic losers they are.

5 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

You wouldn't use one poll, and especially not the most recent due to diminishing interest in added heroes. You would consolidate results, with the first CYL poll having the largest influence. 

And well, if anyone from Heroes gets in, it would probably be Sharena. She's a really good fit for the setting, she's well liked, she'd fill one of the least populated unit types, and she'd make fast friends with everyone.

While I wouldn't mind Jill getting in over Haar if we had to get only one, I agree with Etheus they wouldn't use only one poll, especially since the reason characters who aren't in Heroes yet drop off later is cuz they've already been added at that point.

1 hour ago, Gregster101 said:

They're all clones of Robin (who I guess Tharja is a clone of, but still). And even so, I still don't think the villains would make anyone super interested in playing them cuz of how much pathetic losers they are.

Tharja is actually not a complete clone of Robin. They tweaked her moveset  a little. She uses Goetia in place of Rexaura as one difference. Can't remember the others.

11 hours ago, Samurai Navarre said:

Tharja is actually not a complete clone of Robin. They tweaked her moveset  a little. She uses Goetia in place of Rexaura as one difference. Can't remember the others.

Outside of her specials, that is the only difference. Nameless charge spell-Elfire-Elwind-Thoron-Ruin-Goetia(Rexaura for Robin). I may have gotten C2 and C3 backwards, I don't often play those 2, Linde is a better Foot Mage.

34 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Outside of her specials, that is the only difference. Nameless charge spell-Elfire-Elwind-Thoron-Ruin-Goetia(Rexaura for Robin). I may have gotten C2 and C3 backwards, I don't often play those 2, Linde is a better Foot Mage.

Linde has her own moveset separate from Robin and Tharja, and I do prefer playing as her

17 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Linde is the best mage I agree.

15 hours ago, Quillmonger said:

With Three Houses sand Shadows out we could see more representation there, also we're supposed to be getting a remake of an older game on the Switch. 

I haven't played Three Houses yet. No spoilers but is it any good? Fates was sort of disappointing for me. Most of the characters were just watered down versions of the ones from Awakening.

52 minutes ago, Samurai Navarre said:

I haven't played Three Houses yet. No spoilers but is it any good? Fates was sort of disappointing for me. Most of the characters were just watered down versions of the ones from Awakening.

Some say yes, some say no. I thought it was good, not the best but pretty well off. Everyone has different issue with it so... take each person as you will