A Question about some very specific limitations.

Moon Moon

Hello! I hope I am posting this in the right place, if not I apologize! So for anyone who is a pro in the rom hacking scene, I have a question as I have an ambitious idea for a rom hack but before I get my hopes up and begin learning the ins and outs, I want to know the limitations of what I can and can't do. Here is the run down of what I'm thinking:

- Something I want to do in a FE8 Rom hack is make a extremely story heavy game. Maps will be there but think "Graphic Novel"-esque. Lots of dialogue and scene changing.

- Use FE8's map roam feature where you can walk around the map. Maybe add towns if possible. (Think FE Gaiden and Echoes)

- Some characters are based off of typical FE stuff (Got a dude who is a pegasus knight, got my archer, got my Lord, ect) but some don't use conventional weapons in FE with one character using  Tonfas. Could I make a new weapon type?

-Less of a  limitation and more of a question of how the leveling formula should go or if I could inflate the numbers if need be. The story would be long which ma require high levels and stats so I am curious of how that would work.

I'm sure there is more but these are the main questions off the top of my head. As a disclaimer, I realize this would be a lot of work, especially for one person and I have looked up a few reddit threads on the topic so I know what I'm thinking about isn't something that can be done in a week. But I am just curious of what is and is not possible. I'm not sure if these questions have been answered, I assume not since what I'm asking is very specific but I'd like to know the limits and what's doable before I start looking up tutorials and the like. I really want to make my story into a game and I've tried RPG maker with no success so I'm hoping a rom hack can help. 

Edited by Moon Moon
Needed to specify slightly more about one of my points of interest

Whoa, Eclipse beat me to the punch in SRPG Studio shilling?  What kind of timeline is this?

But yeah, adding in new weapon types like Tonfas at least is something SRPG Studio can do with great ease.  Alternatively, you could just have Tonfas as a character's personal weapon and treat them as Swords or something.

You can't really do a full-on FE8-style world map in SRPG Studio, but there are plugins for free-roaming maps similar to what Gaiden has, so maybe you could do something with that.

SRPG Studio may also lend itself more easily to stat inflation and other unusual approaches to Leveling, such as Genealogy of the Holy War's of the Level cap being 30 and not resetting on promotion.  Your game also sounds like a Radiant Dawn-style class system would be a good fit for it, but unfortunately neither the hacking nor SRPG Studio communities have figured out how to make adequate-quality three-tier class systems yet.

I guess just think about it.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai