Hard 5 Play log (Give me tips!)

So I'm playing SD for the first time and I decided to go with Hard 5, I know that's probably crazy, but after how easy Sacred Stones was, I need a challenge.

Chapter 1 was the wake up call, all those pirates rushing at you, every one of them is ridiculously strong, Javelin spam won the day here after a couple tries.

Chapter 2 was awful, any minor mistake in the first several turns gets a unit killed, too many misses in the first couple of turns gets a unit killed, the terrain is tough to fight properly on, since the pirates have free reign and most of your units don't. I probably had to retry this level 5-7 times.

Chapter 3 was actually a lot easier, Ogma, Navarre, and Cain choked the north, freeing up most of the others to fight off the west front, the boss was somewhat scary, Ogma, Navarre, and Caeda were the only ones who didn't get doubled, and base Navarre gets doubled with the Killing Edge, my original plan was to just run him out of weapon uses, but Navarre leveled up and got a point of speed, that allowed them to kill the boss in a few turns with some lucky crits.

Now I have access to class change and forging, so I'd like some advice.

How much might should I forge onto the Rapier and Wing Spear?

What units should I use and what classes should I make them?

Here's the units I'm likely keeping and their likely classes:

Abel (Cavalier)

Cain (Cavalier)

Jagen (Paladin or Dracoknight?)

Caeda (Pegasus)

Ogma (what class?)

for everyone else I need advice.

Dunno about Rapier, but Wing Spear tends to go +10.  Reason why is because Caeda's strength tends to be poor, and generals on thrones suck.

Jagen can take an early Dracoknight reclass to make Chapter 4 less annoying, but do watch out for those Horsemen!  If you're absolutely desperate, he can also go emergency Bishop for healing.  Ogma will either wind up with an unfortunate weapon, or will end up with E axes in pirate/fighter.  Speaking of, Barst is missing!

Wendell (Chapter 5) will mostly stay as a Sage/Bishop, but I think there's one map where you can get some hilarious results with Swordmaster and a Levin Sword.  Wolf and Sedgar (also Chapter 5) have hilariously high growth rates - they tend to go General, so they can tank hits early and level that way.  Keep Lena alive, because she gets an essentially PRF staff late in the game, if you're willing to go out of your way for it.  Palla/Catria (Chapter 14) will usually turn out okay, though I'd choose one. . .and beware of Palla getting speed screwed!

Lastly, you'll want several staffbots.  Physic/Warp/Fortify's range is the entire map.

How good is Barst? I know he's clearly the best of the axe bros, but is he really that good? What class should I go with? 

So Ogma has issues either way, should I go fighter or pirate immediately or hold off until he hits a certain speed benchmark?

Also, I hear Navarre does well as a Cavalier, how true is this?

Barst - good bases, and being D axes means that he doesn't have as long to go before he hits C (that's when Hammers/Poleaxes come into play).  Can then promote to Hero to take advantage of that axe rank.  Also supports Ogma.

Ogma - The biggest issue is that Ogma's going to be stuck at E axes, which is a pain.  If you plan on doing gaidens, he might be able to get away with an axe class for those.  Otherwise, I'd leave him in his original class for bases, and see if his growths cooperate.

Navarre - Watch his speed if you go Cavalier.

Just a heads up, while chapter 9 is one of my favorites it can be pretty punishing for a first play through. Anyone you can get to 13 speed by that chapter will make it easier, the more you get to that benchmark the better. I'm not gonna spoil too much but 90% of the enemies hover around 8-9 speed in that chapter. 

Also do as you please but I would recommend against forging the rapier, it's soooo expensive to do and Marth needs a lot of help to one shot something with it. What you wanna forge is the weapon that the chapter 4 boss drops, anyone with C rank with lances can use it so you can trade it around to kill enemy cav squads.

In Chapter 5 if you don't mind using another cav I think you will like Hardin a lot. 

So I just breezed through Chapter 4 in one try, that was really easy compared to the first three chapters.

I changed Jagen into a Dracoknight, everyone else stayed in their base classes.

Merric one-shot the boss with a crit, awsome.

At any rate, how much might should I forge onto the Ridersbane?

So I didn't know you could only forge each weapon only once, I even looked it up and nothing explicitly said you could only forge weapons once. I only forged 6 might onto the Wing Spear, thinking I could forge more later, and only 4 onto the Ridersbane.

I'm going to restart and get back to where I was, so I'm going to be awhile.

In the mean time, what works better for Wolf and Sedgar, Hero or General?

Edited by SpecterHector
Didn't want to needlessly double post

Try to get some +2 DEF level ups for Sedgar and Wolf early on. Many save points to abuse for better level ups.

You might like watching DD151' 0% Growths playthrough on this, just to get some ideas on tactics. 

Personally like Hardin with his auto A Lance rank.

Alright, finally got back to Chapter 6, here's everything that's happened so far;

Chapter 4 was a nightmare, the RNG gods were not happy with me, a great contrast to my first run.

Chapter 5 wasn't too bad, I used Hardin's group to kite the archers so the main group could focus on the other enemies.

Nothing has been forged yet, I don't have the money for the Wing Spear yet, and I don't know how much might to put on the Ridersbane.

My units are overall slightly worse, with the exception of Caeda, who has +2 Str over the original file.

Marth (lv 6) lost 2 Spd (11>9) and gained 2 Def (8>10)

Cain is slightly worse, less Str and Spd.

Abel is significantly worse despite being higher Lv

Ogma is slightly better because he's higher Lv (Cain and Abel gaining less speed meant I had to run the Chapter 3 boss out of weapon uses, the boss might've had an extra point of speed too, but I'm not sure.)

EDIT: Finally beat Chapter 6, easily the hardest one so far, the fact that you have to push through all those dangerous enemies in order to get to the thieves is crazy, if I hadn't looked at DD151's video I probably would have spent a week on this level.

Edited by SpecterHector

Well ya you could ditch Jagen but don't feel bad about keeping him around for most of the game if you like him, he can contribute pretty well for the majority of the game and you get a lot of deployment slots!

That's the name of the game!  And maybe if you're insanely lucky, no one will replace Jagen (because sometimes, the RNG trolls).  But if you need another staffbot, keep Boah alive in Chapter 12, along with Midia.

Just finished Chapter 7, it wasn't too bad, though it took a few tries. Wolf and Sedgar swapped in and out of the southern chokepoint in order to stall out the reinforcements, I don't think I would have beaten the Chapter so easily without them.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SpecterHector said:

Finished Chapter 8, it was pretty easy, thanks to Wolf and Sedgar, seriously considering leaving them as Generals.

Wouldn't do it for too long.  They'll need their inflated speed growths eventually.