Favorite Fire Emblem Names? Least Favorite?

XRay

What are some names from Fire Emblem that you think sounds cool or nice? Would you name your pet, child, car, or whatever after any of them?

Names good enough for pets and humans:

Lyn/Lyndis is probably one of my top favorites. It has an elegant and nice soft sound. I want to name all my children as some form of Rey or Ray, but if my future spouse does not want that, I think I will pitch in Lyndis as alternative option.

Jasmine is a really nice name in my opinion. I like the smell of it the flower too. Kind of weird how it is used by a dude though in Fire Emblem.

Celica is also nice and elegant too. If I get a Celica car in the future, I would definitely call it Celica.

Reinhardt is also really nice. I like how masculine and powerful it sounds. It just sounds like a total badass. If I cannot name my son Ray, I would strongly insist Reinhardt as the next option.

Similarly, Edelgard sounds really powerful too, although it does not sound as nice as Lyndis and Jasmine in my opinion. It would not be my first pick for my kids, but I think I would still consider it. If I get any pet poultry in the future though, I would totally name one of them Edelgard.

Names good enough for pets:

I am not a huge fan of Sumia. I do not dislike it, it just sounds a bit goofy. Should be fine on a pet though.

Nah just sounds plain goofy. Her Japanese is Nn, which is even more ridiculous, cause I cannot really interpret that in any other way except as a grunt that people make when they take a dump; probably the least flattering name for a girl in my opinion. It is probably pretty funny for a dog name though.

Nowi and Nono are really goofy too.

I do not want to name my kids Dorcas either. That is just asking for your kid to be called a dork. I think it is okay for pets.

Ugly Names:

I dislike quite a few villain names. I mean, I like that they are on villains cause it suits them, so they are good villain names, but I would not use their names to name anything I like. Nergal, Gangrel, Grima, etc. just sounds a little too ugly, which is great for villains, but not so great for kids and pets in my opinion.

Ultimately, no name can be more perfect than Narcian, but it's ok for other names to try and reach the level...oh, maybe three or four levels below it. I'll probably come back after I find the list, I had a list somewhere in my stuff.

It’s not necessarily that I hate her name but I don’t like how Severa and Cordelia’s names were changed during localization. Cause their original names (Serena and Tiamo) when put together mean love and peace in Italian(I think) which is really sweet and something unfortunately lost in the English version of the games. 

On the topic of name changes, I don’t like how Kamui was changed to Corrin in English but they kept the name Kana. Which is strange because when put together with Corrin’s jp name Kamui, it’s a reference to Kana Kamuy. An ancient ainu god of lightning that takes the form of a dragon and that’s a cool reference. Kamui itself is the generic suffix/prefix(I don’t remember which it is) which means “power of the gods” for said gods in Ainu myth. 

Edited by Ottservia

Obligatory mention that I like the name Ophelia.
Even outside of context I like the sound of the name, and before FE I WAS a bit of a theatre guy. Which... actually makes me want to give the name to something less given what happens to her, but I still like the name.

Outside of that... I like Lucia, it's a nice short name with a good flow to it. Setsuna is also nice.

I don't really have any I really dislike, although I'm not too big on Caeldori. Like... that's the best you could come up with? Really?

Edited by Emerson

1 hour ago, Emerson said:

I don't really have any I really dislike, although I'm not too big on Caeldori. Like... that's the best you could come up with? Really?

I like to headcanon that Severa had no idea what to name her kid and was put on the spot so she just threw her mother's name in a metaphorical blender and came up with that.

Headcanons aside, how else would you make an anagram of Cordelia's name while also making it sound eastern inspired. It's tough

14 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I like to headcanon that Severa had no idea what to name her kid and was put on the spot so she just threw her mother's name in a metaphorical blender and came up with that.

Headcanons aside, how else would you make an anagram of Cordelia's name while also making it sound eastern inspired. It's tough

I swear I've seen one but I don't remember. I'll see if I can find it.

I'll try and stick to names IS created to keep the list small.

Ones that I like: 

Caeda: Unique and beautiful, with a strong eir to it. 

Sumia: Gives a feeling of grace and elegance. 

Celica: I feel like it has a very regal sir to it.

Nowi: I like the sound of it, but I feel that it would be prettier with an alternative spelling. Noei, for instance. 

Selena: I prefer this to Severa, as Severa feels harsh, almost like cutting. Selena, on the other hand, sounds more elegant. 

Marth: One of the only good Lord's names, and still unique. 

Elincia: Honeslty, one of the more beautiful names tha games have created. 

Eliwood: A royal name that sounds very British to me.

Names I don't like: 

Stahl: A very brutish name with Norse origin. Doesn't fit our mild mannered friend. 

Panne: What even is this? How do you pronounce this absurd name? 

Soleil: Again, difficult to pronounce. Hkw do you work with this. 

Ike: Brutish and simple. It fits the character, but I wouldn't wish anyone to be named this. 

Lon'qu, Say'ri, Yen'fe: Say'ri is almost passable, but the other two? Not my I don't like how choppy they are, especially with the apostrophe. 

Roy: This really doesnt fit any character in FE. It fits the Koopa Kid Roy much better. 

Chrom: How do you pronounce this? Krom? Krome? I don't get it. 

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

3 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

Ragnel: I know its a sword, but really? I can think of plenty better names. 

It's actually from the King Arthur stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wedding_of_Sir_Gawain_and_Dame_Ragnelle

I think you can see the cleverness here. Hint: Greil's birth name.

1 hour ago, Emerson said:

It also grinds horribly against the Hoshidan naming aesthetic. At least Asugi sounds Japanese and Rhajat sounds... coherent.

3 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

It's actually from the King Arthur stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wedding_of_Sir_Gawain_and_Dame_Ragnelle

I think you can see the cleverness here. Hint: Greil's birth name.

Alright, I'm taking that down. That's actually pretty cool, especially with the connection to both Greil's birth name, and the fact that his name is Greil, similar to the Holy Grail, one of the most loved Arthurian legends.

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

I promised myself to keep the names Deirdre in mind when naming any daughter of mine.

Other than that, off the top of my head, I like Lysithea, Ferdinand, Conrad, Faye, Julius, Julia, Celica, Rhea, Cordelia, Lucina, and Felix are all names I like.

Then there are names like Hubert, Hilda, and Gilbert that are just unattractive. Names like Sothis, Byleth, and Ishtar seem pretty eh, especially given the latter twos’ origins.

Despite her adult version being a waifu to me, Tiki has a bad name. The heck, Naga.

Then there’s Glass. Absolutely silly.

At 0:32.

Well, off the top of my head, I can say that I've promised to never name any child of mine Erk.

Like, seriously. It sounds like you're trying not to vomit every time you say the name.

As for names that I actually like, Ezekiel just sounds so regal and cool. Plus it gets shortened to Zeke, which is also cool.

Other names that I like include Luthier, Ferdinand, Fernand, Mercedes, Jeritza, Balthus, Kaden, Wil, Renault, Legault.

Faves:

Astrid, Athena, Balthus Balthazar, Cecilia, Constance, Finn, Fiora, Florina, Ferdinand, Gaius, Geoffrey, Hector, Hilda, Isadora, Kieran, Leila, Lucina, Mercedes, Mia, Minerva, Ophelia, Petra, Reina, Roy, Saizo, Sakura, Setsuna, Sylvain, Titania, Tsubaki, Vanessa, Yukimura.

Least favorites:

Subaki- They did him dirty by removing the T. 
Delmud- Supposed to be Diarmuid. Hopefully any potential remake will fix this.
Raquesis- Thankfully got fixed. 
Caledori- Just a mess

I like generic names everyone here could have because it feels easier to identify with them. 

Mia, Rolf or Hilda are simple examples.

But also more nostalgic names like Ferdinand, Marianne or Oscar are nice.

Travant and Mercedes are names I love because they are named after a vehicle / a company which creates vehicles. Renault fulfills the same criteria, but being a last name im this case.

Edited by Falcom Knight

Chrom and Stahl are funny when you're German, as Chromstahl is one way to say stainless steel in German (Stahl translates to steel in English and chromium (Chrom) is used to make it stainless). My pal and I came up with the Chrom x Stahl crack ship because of this.
Speaking of funny names, there's of course Nah, as little sense as it makes for that to even be a name in the first place (but something tells me that was the intention, considering who her mother is).

As for least favorite names, I have to ask: what the hell kind of names are Albein and Anthiese supposed to be? They sound stupid, honestly (if any of you reading this are actually called either of these, I apologize).
Then, there's Caeda, which just looks absolutely pretentious when spelled out. How you get from Shiida in romaji to spelling it Caeda in English is beyond me. Though I will concede that there is no way that name won't look weird when written with Western letters.