Why do manaketes have breasts?

Ottservia

Serious question but why do they have breasts? All those things are are giant lumps of fat used to create and store milk for newborn offspring so do manaketes breastfreed? are they mammals or reptiles? Are they born in dragon form or human form? do they lay eggs? these are very serious questions I've been thinking about recently

Look up "why do zoras have breasts" on youtube, it's some interesting stuff that actually makes sense.

Dragon and bird laguz, at least, I see as mainly humanoid/mammal but with a reptilian or avian form. Janaff told Ike they once laid eggs but I take that as teasing and they never did. Manaketes are more complicated, given that they were once actual dragons, but had to give themselves human forms for reasons. I assume they were able to copy the functions of a mammal body.

Edited by Dragoncat

3 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Look up "why do zoras have breasts" on youtube, it's some interesting stuff that actually makes sense.

But manakete evolution can't be influenced by gods because they are the gods! So how does it work? Get on it Lockstin!

1 minute ago, X-Naut said:

If you're going to adopt a human form you might as well go the full mile.

Basically this.

I mean, they are taking on a humanoid form artificially via magic, and for a specific reason. While they're in it, they basically are humans aside from some subtle differences. It's not like they're humanoid reptiles; they're dragons taking on a human form. So, I'd say they're reptiles/birds when in dragon form (depending on what exactly dragons are a part of), and mammal when in human form.Ā 

Ā 

As for how they reproduce, I think it probably comes down to what form they're in when the child is conceived. If they're in humanoid form, then the baby goes through live birth and comes out humanoid. However, they would still be able to reproduce via eggs when in dragon form.Ā 

This is the case for Bird-Tribe Laguz in the Tellius games. In a Base Conversation between Ike and Janaff, Janaff mentions that Bird Laguz can hatch from eggs, but that hasn't happened among the hawks in decades; instead, the most recent couple of generations have been entirely live-birth.Ā 

Because they're taking on human forms. When they're full dragons, they're reptiles, when they're manaketes, they're effectively biologically mammals.

Edited by Slumber

Do we even know if dragons lay eggs? FE has never spoken of dragon eggs I think. Has it even talked about it very much with Wyverns (maybe Cherche?)?

Ā 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Janaff mentions that Bird Laguz can hatch from eggs, but that hasn't happened among the hawks in decades

"Many generations", given the increased lifespans of Laguz, would probably mean hundreds of years ago. I'd personally want to set egg-laying among the Bird Tribe to pre-Great Flood, but I have no evidence to think that so. And given how slowly Dragon LaguzĀ age, mature, and reproduce, I'd think they would've had to make the external egg to live birth transition, if it ever happened, thousands of years earlier.

Ā 

35 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Seriously speaking though, why are the majority of Manaketes female?Ā 

• FE3 was mostly male, Naga had yet no definite gender possibly, and Bantu, Xane, Gotoh, and Medeus were all male. Tiki is the only definite girl.
  • Then FE6 makesĀ Fae using Tiki, and possibly Idunn is Tiki too. But Jahn means that it's a mere 2:1 female male, unless you count Sophia's half-dragon status.
  • FE7 gave two important half-dragons definable more by that half than not (they don't even seem to remember they're halfsies), one male, one female, and their dead dragon mom.
  • FE8 is one underused NPC maleĀ dragon, and one kinda there loli who might be our first definitive case of oniichan and is the first to "pander to a trope".
  • Tellius- Goldoa is a man dragon land, even if Ena and Almedha have importance.
  • FE11- Naga via Nagi is becoming defined as female for the first time.
  • FE13- Confirms Naga, brings back Tiki, leaves Grima up to your imagination, and adds Nah and Nowi. Not a single certain Mandragon around, other than an easter eggĀ mention of Bantu. I'd say this game begins the problem.
  • FE14- Ananny is male, no other dragons of a definite gender exist.
  • FE15- Declares Duma and Mila are dragons, even if FE2 never gave an absolute answer. 1:1 is balanced, but Duma is evil, and old Queen Naga leans in as influential, for a semi 2:1 skew.
  • FE16- Isn't Seteteteteteteheheheheh a dragy? But he is surrounded by green goddesses it looks like. Why? Because FE has become defined by mint-flavoredĀ dragonĀ ladies at this point.
    • Whilst "yadayadayada it's nice to see a complex dragon female character with Rhea arguably at this point", I'd rather she'd have done it if she did in a different color, beige, sky blue, or metallic pink, I don't care, just not green.Ā 

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

why are the majority of Manaketes female?Ā 

I think because itā€™s funny to see such a cute little girl transform into this hulking beast of death and destruction. Just a thought.

Ā 

49 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The likes of Nah couldn't exist if a manakete's human form was incompatible with humans, no?

This is true

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FE3 was mostly male, Naga had yet no definite gender possibly, and Bantu, Xane, Gotoh, and Medeus were all male. Tiki is the only definite girl.

Minor they could be, don't forget Mannu (King of Pyrathi), Khozen (boss in the Millenium Court), Morzas (boss in Altea Keep), and Xemcel (boss guarding entrance to Dohl Keep).

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then FE6 makesĀ Fae using Tiki, and possibly Idunn is Tiki too. But Jahn means that it's a mere 2:1 female male, unless you count Sophia's half-dragon status.

Does Ain not count being a War Dragon and all? Either way, you still have the Arcadia Elder.

---

I could find it understandable if you didn't include the Jugdral games since any dragons are mostly backstory or shades of their actual selves; but the only confirmed female is Naga, while males you have Loptyr, Forseti, and Salamander.

Paraphrasing what's already been discussed: Assuming a mortal human form means assuming all of its traits and functions, thusly the manakete girls adopt a human girl's reproductive organs and breasts. I'd say retaining your sanity is well worth learning what going to the bathroom is like along with gaining a human sex drive and a different way to give birth and breastfeed. ...Not that we know what similar functions, if any, they have in dragon form; but being magical creatures, I'd at least assume they never had to take dumps or anything. *shudder*

They probably have Sonic metabolism šŸ˜›

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"Many generations", given the increased lifespans of Laguz, would probably mean hundreds of years ago. I'd personally want to set egg-laying among the Bird Tribe to pre-Great Flood, but I have no evidence to think that so. And given how slowly Dragon LaguzĀ age, mature, and reproduce, I'd think they would've had to make the external egg to live birth transition, if it ever happened, thousands of years earlier.

Still; it confirms that the Bird Tribe Laguz have two methods of reproduction: one for each form they can take on.Ā 

As for the Dragon Laguz, I would suspect that egg-laying, if it existed among them, has not died out completely for those very reasons. Radiant Dawn reveals that Ena is pregnant with Rajaion's child. Given that Rajaion died at the end of Path of Radiance, and he spent all of Path of Radiance (a game where the story goes through almost an entire year, as stated in Chapter 23 in a conversation between Ike and Elincia) as a captive Feral One, this means that Ena spent at least four years being pregnant, and potentially far longer, as we don't know exactly when Rajaion left to bring back Almeda and got captured by Ashnard.

This could simply be a case of Writers Cannot Do Math (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WritersCannotDoMath), but it still indicates that Dragon Tribe Laguz have a very long gestation period, in which case, live birth and egg-laying would each have their pros and cons, and I bet Dragon Tribe Laguz would be split on which they'd prefer. I mean; if the choice is between the woman spending several years being pregnant, and both parents taking turns watching an egg for several years until it hatches, I think some might choose the egg option.Ā 

Ā 

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

The likes of Nah couldn't exist if a manakete's human form was incompatible with humans, no?

That is a very good point, but I should point out that fantasy media has a habit of handwaving the issue of reproductive compatibility when it comes to fantasy races.Ā 

Ā 

9 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Seriously speaking though, why are the majority of Manaketes female?Ā 

They're only majority-female in games where they're very few in number that we actually meet, and, in those cases, I would say that it's due to the Tiki archetype.Ā 

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

and potentially far longer, as we don't know exactly when Rajaion left to bring back Almeda and got captured by Ashnard.

Ashnard used Almedha's baby as a hostage to capture Rajaion. If Ashnard physically dangled Almedha's child before her brother, then that'd have to be on the order of ~16 years ago for the child to not remember anything, and we know they don't.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ashnard used Almedha's baby as a hostage to capture Rajaion. If Ashnard physically dangled Almedha's child before her brother, then that'd have to be on the order of ~16 years ago for the child to not remember anything, and we know they don't.

Okay. Thanks. That helps my point: Ena's been pregnant for nearly as long as Soren's been alive; that's a very long gestation period; even for a subspecies with a very long lifespan.Ā 

It kind-of makes me wonder; did Soren have a regular gestation period owing to being half-Beorc? He must have in order to have been born when he was. I wonder if, when he was born, Almedha thought, "Huh; I thought that would take far longer."

They're secretly venom glands, but because Manaketes always fight while transformed (excluding reclassing) and they never bite anyone in either dragon or human forms, it never shows up, and thus one theirĀ natural defense against predatorsĀ goes to waste.

Myrhh needed to get Ephraim's attention somehow.

It's probably either that Manaketes are basically humans who can do magical stuff, or Fanservice. Sadly, I'm leaning towards the latter.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:41 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then FE6 makesĀ Fae using Tiki, and possibly Idunn is Tiki too. But Jahn means that it's a mere 2:1 female male, unless you count Sophia's half-dragon status.

Well if you count Sophia's half-dragon status, then you really ought to count Roy's potential half-dragon status as well, which makes it a 3:2 ratio.