Do Spirits Deconfirm Fighters?

Bk1234

So I'm on the fence about whether Geno still has a chance since he is a spirit. However, do you think that they could have thought that far ahead about characters for FP Vol. 2 when adding spirits? Another odd omission is Porky, but I feel he would've been added in FP 1 if they purposely chose to omit his spirit. My general reception is that spirits added after the base game (spirit events) do deconfirm fighters. What do you guys think? 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I really so no reason to assume that they should. If a character already having a spirit is such a problem then just giving them a second spirit would be enough to quell that concern. Lots of characters already have multiple spirits. 

Exactly! If Jill Valentine ever got in, they could just use another piece of artwork for their Fighter Spirit.

100% agree with what @Etheus said, although i don't know how they could handle a fighter from Pass 2 who already had a spirit since the game launch

they could pull a Cloud/Robin and give that character his/her render/s as spirits, but i don't know how well that would work

No because if we could have Lucas and Mewtwo as trophies and DLC fighters in the previous games, there's no reason to assume that Spirits deconfirm characters. Same goes for Mii Costumes. 

I think it's really just Assist Trophies that are the hard deconfirm.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

No because if we could have Lucas and Mewtwo as trophies and DLC fighters in the previous games, there's no reason to assume that Spirits deconfirm characters.

this argument doesn't make sense, trophies weren't a mechanic like spirits are, they were nothing more than collectibles

furthermore, playable characters' spirits are different than the spirits you can use to fight, as character spirits are, just like trophies were, collectibles, and have no actual usage whatsoever

if they somehow add a playable fighter who already had a spirit in the game, they'd have to either "downgrade" the equippable spirit to a mere artwork with no other purpose (and i don't think they'd do that), or use that character's render as a non-equippable spirit, and differentiate this from the other one by their names with something like "---- (playable)", which would be very dumb

Edited by Yexin

2 minutes ago, Yexin said:

if they somehow add a playable fighter who already had a spirit in the game, they'd have to either "downgrade" the equippable spirit to a mere artwork with no other purpose (and i don't think they'd do that), or use that character's render as non-equippable spirit and differentiate this from the other one by their names with something like "---- (playable)", which would be very dumb

Or, hear me out, they could use a different artwork for the Fighter Spirit of the character and keep the original artwork for the equippable spirit.

Also spirit renames aren't new. Iirc, when Byleth dropped, the ALBW Hilda spirit had "(The Legend of Zelda)" added to her name while 3H Hilda had "(Fire Emblem)" to differentiate between the two. Just because it's dumb doesn't mean it's not a valid solution.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Or, hear me out, they could use a different artwork for the Fighter Spirit of the character and keep the original artwork for the equippable spirit.

Also spirit renames aren't new. Iirc, when Byleth dropped, the ALBW Hilda spirit had "(The Legend of Zelda)" added to her name while 3H Hilda had "(Fire Emblem)" to differentiate between the two. Just because it's dumb doesn't mean it's not a valid solution.

well that's possible, but only if that character has 2 different official artwork available; i doubt they'd make a new one from scratch

that name change made sense because they were two completely different characters, so it only made sense to specify their respective origin game
i don't know if a fighter with two different spirits, one equippable and one non-equippable, would still make sense

but hey, we don't necessarily have to agree

I would say no because like in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, there was a ingame trophy of Mewtwo and Lucas before they were announced and they were back as DLC. I don't think the ingame spirits would deconfirmed any newcomers won't make it as DLC Fighters, it be more of the DLC event spirits (the ones that are released after the launch) definitely deconfirmed them making it to Ultimate.

Edited by King Marth 64