How Voting Gauntlets Should Be

omegaxis1

So I was taking a look at this today:

And it got me thinking on the current state of the Voting Gauntlets in Fire Emblem Heroes. This made me realize that Voting Gauntlets aren't really that exciting or something people are genuinely invested in. I think many here even just go to these to reap the feather rewards without any care for who wins, while others won't participate at all because they don't like the participants or the person they root for lost, and the rest are just not worth it. 

So this VG that we have makes EVERYTHING feel a lot more meaningful. 

That makes me think that maybe all VGs should follow something similarly.

Simply put, have it so that the winners of the VG is the unit players receive for free.

This is something that would give so much reason for players to invest in the character they want to win. Cause they want to get that unit they love, or for the sake of completing their team or build. Not to mention, it would be a major benefit to players that are purely F2P. I hate how Heroes is becoming more "pay to win", but this is something that'd have given players something more to make the VGs matter significantly more.

However, I also think that how you participate in the Voting Gauntlets should affect how you receive the unit, as you can get a demoted unit depending on how you participate.

• 5 Star: Played on the winner's side since the 1st Round.
  • 4 Star: Joined the winner by Round 2.
  • 3 Star: Joined the winner at Round 3, the last round.
  • 2 Star: Never joined the winning unit's side, but did participate in the event.
  • No Unit: Only if you did not participate in the event at all.

This would at least make it so that the current VG that's about to take place still has merit in it since that VG has the winner be distributed as a 5* for everyone no matter what, where normal VGs have demotions depending on participation.

What do you guys think? Do you believe that Voting Gauntlet should be like I propose it should? I feel like this is a great way for VGs to really hold merit and meaning for players and would make more people willing to play, especially for F2Pers.

No.  Absolutely.  No.

It gives little incentive to choose a side that doesn't win.  I'm not going to spend a bunch of resources to get some random unit up to 5*, JUST because I didn't stick with them at the outset.

49 minutes ago, eclipse said:

No.  Absolutely.  No.

It gives little incentive to choose a side that doesn't win.  I'm not going to spend a bunch of resources to get some random unit up to 5*, JUST because I didn't stick with them at the outset.

10 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

If this were to be implemented, I think it'd create less salt if everyone just got the same rarity.

The reason I proposed differing rarity is to reward those that did stick with the winner from day one, but in that case. Also, I didn't want to exactly take away from the special gauntlet we're having here.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

The reason I proposed differing rarity is to reward those that did stick with the winner from day one, but in that case. Also, I didn't want to exactly take away from the special gauntlet we're having here.

Did you sit down and think about the implications of what you suggested?

Just now, eclipse said:

Did you sit down and think about the implications of what you suggested?

I did. Overall, I felt that we're already getting feathers here. What's wrong with having free units? 

Turns out if you say this on reddit, people prefer to stone you to death.

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I did. Overall, I felt that we're already getting feathers here. What's wrong with having free units? 

Turns out if you say this on reddit, people prefer to stone you to death.

If this is your answer, then you need to think harder.  Namely, about the feather cost to get units to 5*.  I have enough issues deciding on whether I want to free up some barracks space and merge, or get another unit to 5*.  Adding 22,000+ feathers on top of it isn't my idea of good design.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If this is your answer, then you need to think harder.  Namely, about the feather cost to get units to 5*.  I have enough issues deciding on whether I want to free up some barracks space and merge, or get another unit to 5*.  Adding 22,000+ feathers on top of it isn't my idea of good design.

I mean, we have combat manuals for barracks, so extra units are really not a problem. Not to mention, you're assuming it as if it's already a case where it's the worst case scenario of losing the entire way. 

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

I mean, we have combat manuals for barracks, so extra units are really not a problem. Not to mention, you're assuming it as if it's already a case where it's the worst case scenario of losing the entire way. 

Not if you're going for 5* merges.

The worst case is either you're supporting someone popular who you may not like so you don't spend feathers, or supporting someone who isn't as popular and being in the awkward situation of "do I spend feathers just to turn this unit into something workable?".  Which defeats the purpose of me going feather mercenary at times.  And I don't want to think of the salt if the multipliers don't work out.

Leaning towards no. I like them as the bland faux popularity contests they are. 

Also, this would just encourage IS to keep stronger heroes out of the gauntlet. Seriously, do people not realize how much money IS makes from dolphins hunting for one extra merge? There's no benefit for them to shoot themselves in the foot like that. 

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

And I don't want to think of the salt if the multipliers don't work out.

Actually I'd argue that the salt would be the most interesting part 

4 minutes ago, trainer_derp said:

Actually I'd argue that the salt would be the most interesting part 

I might get a good chuckle out of some really creative salt, but it means I have to Be A Mod, and I'd rather not.  A lot of the salt lacks creativity anyway.

VGs are mostly about the characters you like. Some of the characters I like are terrible units nobody actually wants more of in their barracks. The VG I still remember is when fucking Shanna somehow fluked her way to victory (and I'd backed her since the start!) - do you really think she'd get a single backer if there were actual stakes on the line?

You're already incentivised plenty to participate for the massive feather bonanza, and picking a larger side likely to win is adequately counterbalanced by the ease of climbing the ranks of a smaller side. The current multiplier system is working well. It's a good vessel to give a free unit, it's a better system than last time (which still worked very well and was a nice thing, and I say this as someone who only got a Lawn merge out of it). But let's not remove what makes it special.

Wouldn't mind a cosmetic reward of some sort, that way the relative power of the respective units in-game wouldn't come into it. Hopefully something better than a generic jpg wallpaper like they've been doing though. 😛

Maybe something like a home screen theme, an accessory, or even alternative art like Resplendent heroes but without the stat boost.