TheeBill's battle edit / splice gallery

TheeBill

EDIT 2020-02-25: Made some formatting changes (including the title). Made it more obvious that they're mainly edits at the moment.

Hello everyone. I've begun working on yet another project. These are my first time actually making fe-styled splices and animations, so I'd appreciate any critique so my characters don't look like trash.

They're intended to be in a fire emblem sacred stones art style.

While I doubt this will be an issue, I should make it clear that these sprites aren't currently for public use (yet) so pls don't steal ty.

Battle Animations (all mostly edits currently)

Randall.gif Lance.gif Magic.gif Lance.gif.c69145aef76f3c85b51d05ae44761a52.gif

Mugs (all splices currently)

AriaPortrait.png EilenePortrait.png RandallPortrait.png.23202e54886c6f6a651152441804143e.pngWilliamPortrait.png.71cf8af209e4048e6db7b020c351db14.png

Edited by TheeBill
Formatting changes, and sprite updates.

I'm no sprite artist, so I don't quite think I'm in the place to be critiquing anything like this, but from my point of view, these look fantastic! The only thing that strikes me as a tad off-putting is that it looks like the purple-haired character should have shading above his right eye where his hair sort of parts. (I apologize if that comes off as nitpicky.) Other than that, these sprites look great! I'm always impressed when I see these sorts of things.

By the look of it those attack animations are just recolors and those mugs just spliced and nothing else. So I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to critique them or give much if any constructive criticism. 

I mean no offense by the way and I am not discouraging you from splicing. I am only saying that I doubt much of anyone can really give you any real input beyond I guess the how good your color choices were.

2 hours ago, CatManThree said:

By the look of it those attack animations are just recolors and those mugs just spliced and nothing else.

I'd like to argue somewhat against this by highlighting the changes I did make:

While the first animation borrows heavily from Eliwood's lord animation. I made the following changes:

- (Randall) does a small twirl backwards into his standing position after his normal combat strike. (Eliwood hops backwards instead).

- (Randall) does a small hop backwards into his standing position after his  critical combat strike. (Eliwood does an elaborate flip).

- (Randall)'s critical combat strike is a sword swing instead of Eliwood's poke (like Randall does in his regular combat animation).

- (Randall)'s class will have access to light magic, so I created staff 'attack' and staff dodge frames accordingly.

Perhaps having the two side by side would make this more apparent?

Randall.gif.54b53145643a3d2867bde2400d8c7e7b.gifSword.gif.a236901602f2bb1725d5798bdbcdf08f.gif

The other two animations I can see where you're coming from. The Pegasus Knight's only change is the inclusion of the twin tail hairstyle (So I had to add and animate that for each frame) while the mage is a literal recolor.

I am a little sad that you think the faces are "just spliced and nothing else" though. I spent several hours on each of them to ensure that the various character parts I slapped together fit and were shaded properly. I could add comparisons  between my mugs and the 'base' mugs they came from to show differences but that seems a little unnecessary.

When it comes to critiquing those, I'm looking for any comments on the position of the neck, shoulders, inconsistent shading, etc.

2 hours ago, CatManThree said:

I mean no offense by the way and I am not discouraging you from splicing. I am only saying that I doubt much of anyone can really give you any real input beyond I guess the how good your color choices were.

You mention how the only "real input" given that can be given is how good the color choices are, yet you yourself don't make any critiques on that 😐 . So your message just really comes off as disincentive. I really do appreciate your honest opinion though. Hope I don't sound a little too defensive.

4 minutes ago, TheeBill said:

I'd like to argue somewhat against this by highlighting the changes I did make:

While the first animation borrows heavily from Eliwood's lord animation. I made the following changes:

- (Randall) does a small twirl backwards into his standing position after his normal combat strike. (Eliwood hops backwards instead).

- (Randall) does a small hop backwards into his standing position after his  critical combat strike. (Eliwood does an elaborate flip).

- (Randall)'s critical combat strike is a sword swing instead of Eliwood's poke (like Randall does in his regular combat animation).

- (Randall)'s class will have access to light magic, so I created staff 'attack' and staff dodge frames accordingly.

Perhaps having the two side by side would make this more apparent?

Randall.gif.54b53145643a3d2867bde2400d8c7e7b.gifSword.gif.a236901602f2bb1725d5798bdbcdf08f.gif

The other two animations I can see where you're coming from. The Pegasus Knight's only change is the inclusion of the twin tail hairstyle (So I had to add and animate that for each frame) while the mage is a literal recolor.

I am a little sad that you think the faces are "just spliced and nothing else" though. I spent several hours on each of them to ensure that the various character parts I slapped together fit and were shaded properly. I could add comparisons  between my mugs and the 'base' mugs they came from to show differences but that seems a little unnecessary.

When it comes to critiquing those, I'm looking for any comments on the position of the neck, shoulders, inconsistent shading, etc.

You mention how the only "real input" given that can be given is how good the color choices are, yet you yourself don't make any critiques on that 😐 . So your message just really comes off as disincentive. I really do appreciate your honest opinion though. Hope I don't sound a little too defensive.

Man I am an idiot. Not sure how I didn't notice the differences there. Also I really didn't mean to come off as an ass, that was unintentional and I should have double checked what I was saying before I replied.

I'm really really sorry. 

5 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

Man I am an idiot. Not sure how I didn't notice the differences there. Also I really didn't mean to come off as an ass, that was unintentional and I should have double checked what I was saying before I replied.

I'm really really sorry. 

Eh, don't worry about it. I actually enjoyed writing that up lol.

Made slight adjustments to Randall's (the pink haired dude) and William's (male blonde) sprites

image.png.a04fc8c72f93656984a49e6adba2b08f.png -> RandallPortrait.png.23202e54886c6f6a651152441804143e.png

- Added shading underneath where the hair begins to part (as per critique, thank you!)

image.png.78685076888a7ec908d07b20e417a8de.png -> WilliamPortrait.png.71cf8af209e4048e6db7b020c351db14.png

- Shifted the neck forward.

- Made it look more like his head is in front of his collar and not uncomfortably on top. (by making the chin more pronounced)

- Slight hair touch up.

Edited by TheeBill

• 3 weeks later...

After browsing a  bit of Feuniverse I got inspired to make my first full custom mug for my next character.

And here it is. No splicing done to it all:

True Size

kayin.png.68711f87c5994a8e85ef47e3029d6095.png

Blown up so it's easier to see

kayin-big.png.61cadac320a86b28df4b740c46c37687.png    

I gotta say, it was pretty fun drawing this up.  Would appreciate any comments & critique before I go further and add talk, blink, etc. frames. My shading skills are pretty crap imo so I'd really appreciate any critiques there.

If things go well I might redesign the og 4 to look more original too.

Also I probably should admit now that I stole borrowed the skin tones from one of the portraits from Absolution so shout out to ZessDynamite.