Vengeance build Cyril

MattF

Hi everybody, Im new to the forum  but I have been lurking for a while now,

So about three houses: Its my first fire emblem and I have put about 700 hours into it. One of the characters that I barely explored was Cyril - I made him a Wivern Lord and used his bow art point-blank volley in many of my play-throughs, but never really found him useful or indispensable. He can take down flying enemies well enough, but so can other, better archers. His major weakness is perhaps strength, and he doesn't really excel in magic either, so when compared to other WL (Seteth, Petra, etc.) he really looks weak and slow.

In my current play-through I am doing a church run with the kinghts of seiros, and I am experiment a little with Cyril to see if I can find a nice niche for him to excell at. So here is my vengance build for Cyril!:

- Cavalier/Paladin: better defense, canto, can used better battallions and has lance fair

- Bow and Lances: use point-blank volley upclose to damage and get damaged back. As a grounded unit, he can use an adjutant as a shield as well as a heavy shield to make sure he doesn't die.     Possibly he could benefit from being miracled' beforehand to survive with 1 point of life.

- Canto away, and then in the next turn (get refreshed by a dancer or the blue lions dancing battalion?) go for vengeance art with a silver lance or something similar. 

- useful abilities: lance proficiency,  death blow, accuracy +20, close counter, and maybe life+5 - this adds damage to vengeance.

- useful battalions: either high defence, or high  physical damage

So overall,  a combination of a tank build with a glass cannon. You can do something very similar with Bernadetta, and arguably Bernadetta has  better personal skills for vengeance builds (persecution complex and pass), but this here is for people who specifically want to find a use for Cyril. Basically the great thing about these builds is that they do a set amount of damage regardless of enemy defence. It almost breaks the game, if you get warped and refreshed properly you can basically one shot most enemies. 

What do you guys think? 

Edited by MattF

Vengeance doesn’t negate defense. It just seems so because it reflects 100% of your lost HP. The number is so large that enemy defense seems negligible.

You would want an upgrade to your build. Go master Wyvern Lord for Defiant Crit. Use Vengeance with a killer lance. You’re going to OHKO not only human enemies, but also beasts, and dragons.

That's a good point about defiant crit, I didnt think of that.

As for OHKO, it works well on humans but beasts tend to have health divided up in sections, so no matter how overkill you go with damage its impossible to just one shot them?

I didn’t mean you can OHKO multiple health bars. It’s just that they usually have so many HP on one health bar that normal means of ORKO would fail to ORKO beasts.

Edited by Wishblade

17 hours ago, MattF said:

Bow and Lances: use point-blank volley upclose to damage and get damaged back. As a grounded unit, he can use an adjutant as a shield as well as a heavy shield to make sure he doesn't die.     Possibly he could benefit from being miracled' beforehand to survive with 1 point of life.

What's the point of point-blank volley, when he can attack with Lances and get damaged just fine? Bows are good, don't get me wrong, but they don't seem to fit with a "Vengeance" build.

14 hours ago, Wishblade said:

You would want an upgrade to your build. Go master Wyvern Lord for Defiant Crit. Use Vengeance with a killer lance. You’re going to OHKO not only human enemies, but also beasts, and dragons.

Defiant Strength, from Hero Mastery, can also help in this regard - and it's accessible from earlier on. Only problem is, getting Swords up, on top of Axes, Flight, Lances, Riding... may not be practical without New Game +.

In my opinion, bows are a good fallback option, especially against flying enemies. Apart for  that,  if you take Cyril down the archer path for hit +20 (while teaching him lances and riding), he would acquire bow proficiency anyway.  The additional accuracy may not be really necessary, but it removes a bit of RNG especially against fast enemies.

Defiant crit/strenght would make him even better, but as you said, it would take a long time to set him up properly. This is why I originally gave him just the  +5 life points, because  its easy to get and guaranteed damage.

Edited by MattF