Who to give crest items to?

MattF

In Three Houses new game plus, its possible to buy crest items to character who didn't  have them.  While the proc rates are not as good as the originals, there is also the added bonus of basically  allowing a different character the use of hero`s relics  and their added effects.

One of such combination I am using right now is Caspar + crest of fraldarius + aegis shield.  The aegis shield provides aegis and pavise and increases 6 protection and 3 resilience (but the shield does not look bright orange like when Felix equips it?).  I want to use Caspar as my human shield and this is quite an effective combination.

One other option is to use Marianne`s crest of the beast + blutgant on a character with sword proficiency like Dorothea, who is proficient in swords and magic (and can now become a trickster) but lack a crest of her own.

Are there other combinations that you have tried and found useful or fun?

Leonie with Bernadetta's crest to make better use of that bow, forgot the names.

Other than that, I've been doing so many creative builds lately and each can make use of other stuff, so it differs a lot.

Which route are you on? There is an axe in a chest for the crest of glouster so that might be one to consider for the passive healing. There is a sword for Riegan too in Claude’s paralogue so if you want to keep him on bows maybe give that to an A rank sword user with his crest stone?

The axe of Ukonvasara? I have it, I think you get it in chapter 13, but who to give it to? The crest of Gloucester raises the might  of magic attacks, and the characters without crest proficient in axes (Petra and  Caspar?) don't really use magic? 

In fact that axe weights a ton, so you need the strength to wield it it, but it raises magic might? Doesn't make any sense!

A tanky unit with Cichol's Crest can restore 66% of their health at the start of each turn with both the Spear of Assal and Ochain Shield equipped, greatly increasing their ability to survive and soak incoming damage without relying on a Healer or Healing Focus .

Giving the Crest of Aubin and Fetters of Dromi to  your Dancer gives them Aegis/Pavise on top of Mov+1 and Canto. Same with Lamine's Crest + Rafail Gem on a Mounted unit, Thyrsus + Gloucester on a Magic unit and any Brawling Unit is good with the Fraldarius's Crest + Aegis shield combo.

I do believe that different Crests with the same effects have their activation chance stacks multiplicatively on top of each other. For example a unit with the Crest of Charon, Crest of Seiros, Crest of Gautier and Crest of Daphnel will have more than 70% chance to get a damage boost when using Combat Arts or Felix with Crest of The Beast will have an even higher chance to boost his damage using regular attacks.

Edited by Ari Chan

In CF, I used the Gautier Crest Stone on Cavalier -> Paladin Hubert, with the Lance of Ruin. On BL, I'm using this combo on Ashe.

I've also used the Crest of the Beast on Alois (works well with gauntlets) and the Crest of Fraldarius on Aegis Shield Gilbert, among others.

The Lance of ruin is one of the best lances in the games and you get it really early!

Who would be a good candidate for Luin+ crest of Daphnel?  I used Ingrid basically in every playthrough and now I want to try something different!

Edited by MattF
Spelling

13 hours ago, MattF said:

Who would be a good candidate for Luin+ crest of Daphnel?  I used Ingrid basically in every playwright and now I want to try something different!

Anyone you want to run in a Lance class - particularly if they don't already have a Crest, and/or will use Combat Arts a bunch. Some examples:

Cavalier -> Paladin Hubert with Frozen Lance and Luín, can do a ton of magical damage.

Paladin / Great Knight Gilbert with Shatter Slash, Glowing Ember and Luín; tank with high physical damage potential.

Pegasus -> Falcoknight Leonie with Monster Peiercer, Lance Jab and Luín, high physical damage with flying mobility.

You can also give it to already-Crested units - Ferdinand and Seteth can combine it with Swift Strikes, for instance. The Crest Stone is just less essential in those cases, as they won't take damage from Luín itself.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Anyone you want to run in a Lance class - particularly if they don't already have a Crest, and/or will use Combat Arts a bunch. Some examples:

Cavalier -> Paladin Hubert with Frozen Lance and Luín, can do a ton of magical damage.

Paladin / Great Knight Gilbert with Shatter Slash, Glowing Ember and Luín; tank with high physical damage potential.

Pegasus -> Falcoknight Leonie with Monster Peiercer, Lance Jab and Luín, high physical damage with flying mobility.

You can also give it to already-Crested units - Ferdinand and Seteth can combine it with Swift Strikes, for instance. The Crest Stone is just less essential in those cases, as they won't take damage from Luín itself.

Thanks I especially like Paladin Gilbert! He is one of those characters I never really explored. BL only right?

Yes, Blue Lions only.

On a semi-related note, it bugs the hell out of me that the game considers him a Church Unit. He was a knight of Faerghus, not the Church, before his self-imposed exile, he only joins in AM, and when they added Jeritza, he was considered a Black Eagle. IDGAF what the game says, Gilbert is a Blue Lion, and nothing anyone says can change my mind.

1 minute ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Yes, Blue Lions only.

On a semi-related note, it bugs the hell out of me that the game considers him a Church Unit. He was a knight of Faerghus, not the Church, before his self-imposed exile, he only joins in AM, and when they added Jeritza, he was considered a Black Eagle. IDGAF what the game says, Gilbert is a Blue Lion, and nothing anyone says can change my mind.

agreed

also, give Raphael the Storm dragon Sign (crest of the beast) and watch him destroy maps with his gauntlets

4 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Yes, Blue Lions only.

To play Thales' Advocate, it makes sense for Gilbert to be classed as a Church unit in Chapter 5, when he joins as a green unit. It'd be cool if he were otherwise usable pre-skip, so you could get a head start on training and building his supports. But then you'd either lose him outright (VW/SS/CF) or run the risk of him not appearing in chapter 13 (AM).

4 hours ago, MattF said:

Thanks I especially like Paladin Gilbert! He is one of those characters I never really explored. BL only right?

You're definitely welcome! Yeah, Gilbert's BL-exclusive, which for me makes him a "must-use" on that route. He can do some interesting things, but he's not necessarily essential.