Yune Randomizer: A Universal Fire Emblem Randomizer

lushen124

19 hours ago, ashely said:

Thanks for the quick reply! In hopes of making it more clear I've elaborated below. For context I am using the randomizer with FE8.
1. Include an option to restrict randomized classes to gender appropriate classes only (i.e. when a unit's class is randomized they are not given a female only class if they are male, or a male only class if they are female, and if it is randomized to a class that has two gender variants, they are given the appropriate version of the class (Lute would get Cavalier (F) and not Cavalier for example.)
2. Include an option to restrict randomized classes to player accessible classes only (i.e. no Soilder, Brigand, Necromancer, monster classes)

#1 is fine. #2 is actually mostly already done. Monster classes in FE8 have to be specifically turned on via "Mix Monster Classes". By default, monsters can only randomize into other monsters and humans to other humans. Necromancer is an end-game class and is already removed from the class pool (so existing Necromancers are not randomized, and nobody randomizes into a Necromancer. This is also true for other end-game classes like King in FE6, and Dark Druid in FE7.). The only classes that we don't cover is Brigand and Soldier (and Brigand is allowed for FE6).

6 hours ago, eharper256 said:

Yep I'm saying its fine to allow them to randomise to any class (based on the usual optional things included in the pool like Lords, Thieves, etc.); but basically just allow an extra check to ensure the correct version is applied where possible. So if the randomiser makes Florina into a Mage replacing Kent, make sure its not the male Mage. But if she ends up as a Fighter, obviously she'll have to stick with the only model that has*. And if a male character, lets say Hector, randomises into a Dancer, instead make him into a Bard. But if Sain becomes a Pegasus Knight, then obviously he's stuck* with the usual model.

As Ashely mentions, you might also want a mode that goes the step further and entirely disable male classes for females and vice-versa (as a sub-mode of apply correct gender class when possible), even if it does restrict your pool in FE7 (can come with a warning in the tooltip for that).

Also, I'd imagine the restricted FE7 list could still use Female Cleric (Serra), Troubador (Priscilla), Female Thief (Leila), Armour Knight/Soldier (can't really tell), right? [And Swordmaster/Paladin for girls going into Pre-promote slots, from Karla and Isadore respectively].

As for rookies, yes, disable both the Tier 1 and Tier 2 options, and only allow it to actually be the Rookie (tier 0) version with 10 levels that then promotes into the relevant base class.

------------------------

*= Though it also would be absolutely crazy awesome if the community resources for things like female fighters and male pegasi could be inserted into the rom the same way it inserts the translation onto FE6; that's probably beyond the scope of the randomiser, not to mention would require permission from those resource creators and I respect that.

Female Thief I think could be problematic, since Leila's class isn't actually complete. It doesn't promote like male thieves do (at least not properly), and it uses an assassin battle animation (that I'm not even sure if it's functional beyond just standing there). Prepromote females in FE7 get a lot more variety since it adds Paladin, Swordmaster, and Wyvern Lord into the mix, but yeah, unpromoted units are pretty much stuck with the small pool. The female list does include the healing classes, but specifically for the classes that are able to attack, the pool is incredibly small. The main concern is Lyn, who has a total of 4 choices (because a Cleric or Troubadour Lyn is immediately softlocked in her prologue). Yeah, Armor Knight's battle animation is basically the same, but at least in the code, there are technically two different classes for Armor Knights. But if we're going to just try to use the correct gender class where possible, then it shouldn't be an issue.

As for the Trainee classes, Tier 0 is actually the most difficult to make work properly, but I think there have been some new discoveries and breakthroughs for that, so maybe it could happen. But having an option to remove Trainees from the class pool should be relatively straightforward.

5 hours ago, junior33 said:

I saw the same thing was posted before but never got a response and I just ran into it. I'm still on v.9.1 so may be fixed in the newest one: Path of Radiance I got a paragon scroll but its called "IID_ELITE" and I'm unable to use it, it appears its just an item unlike the Occult scroll I got from Stefan. Anybody know if this is just a bug or if its fixed in the newest version? thanks!

Also POR chapter 19 when you get the Reyson and the hawks it wont let me do preps.

Interestingly, the Paragon scroll is, by default, locked to Geoffrey and Astrid, which makes it completely useless normally. 0.9.2 gives it a proper name (along with a few other unused items that didn't have names attached) and removes the unit restrictions, so it should work properly now.

Ch. 19 I think is fixed, though I haven't verified it yet. The theory is that when I was messing around with randomizing chests in this chapter, I broke the chapter script a bit so that it skips the battle prep. I have since then refactored the logic for chest randomization to be much more intelligent than before, so it hopefully should fix the issue (but again, I haven't verified it).

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, lushen124 said:

The female list does include the healing classes, but specifically for the classes that are able to attack, the pool is incredibly small. The main concern is Lyn, who has a total of 4 choices (because a Cleric or Troubadour Lyn is immediately softlocked in her prologue). Yeah, Armor Knight's battle animation is basically the same, but at least in the code, there are technically two different classes for Armor Knights.

Isn't female myrmidon still in the game's data?

1 minute ago, lushen124 said:

As for the Trainee classes, Tier 0 is actually the most difficult to make work properly, but I think there have been some new discoveries and breakthroughs for that, so maybe it could happen. But having an option to remove Trainees from the class pool should be relatively straightforward.

Oh, now that sounds very interesting. I'll be very excited if tier 0 trainees can be randomized into.

It's in the data, but as far as I know, it has no attached battle animation, which I do want to work to consider it functional. Most classes that had a female variant in the other games generally have a female variant in FE7 as well as far as the data is concerned, but using those classes usually result in something missing, whether it's map sprites or battle animations.

32 minutes ago, lushen124 said:

It's in the data, but as far as I know, it has no attached battle animation, which I do want to work to consider it functional. Most classes that had a female variant in the other games generally have a female variant in FE7 as well as far as the data is concerned, but using those classes usually result in something missing, whether it's map sprites or battle animations.

Interesting, I figured they wouldn't have actually taken that stuff out.

9 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Interesting, I figured they wouldn't have actually taken that stuff out.

Yeah, its true actually, I was originally going to say 'what about the female Myrms, female heroes' etc. But I thought I'd double check the base FE7 ROM with FEBuilder before I spoke, and indeed, the class entries still exist from FE6, but the battle animations are stripped, so FE7 is surprisingly low on unpromoted female animations.

I didn't check if Leila's animation was functional to be fair, so I still got slapped (lol).

10 hours ago, lushen124 said:

Hmm; I see, I thought it was just coincidence that I ended up with no Tier 0's, but I guess they are arranged differently when setup in the ROM, in retrospect, so I guess it makes sense they weren't supported at all. It would be nice if they could be supported, for sure.

Edited by eharper256

So, I'm playing through Fe7 with random recruitment, and I have a few issues.

For starters, just in general every prepromote unit I have gotten so far has been varying degrees of awful. Upon doing some math, I discovered that they were all autoleveled with a level 10 promotion. This doesn't sound so bad, but units like Lowen!Pent and Erk!Hawkeye are just really not useful. Most hilarious was Wil!Isadora, without a single double digit stat besides hp. On that note, Lowen!Pent also got slaughtered reliably on the first turn of Living Legend as a green unit, so I had to use FeBuilder and give him 25 def and res. (Would have been unwinnable without hacking or mine glitch) Something else I found interesting was that units like Pent!Priscilla and Harken!Rath were actually just broken. I would recommend making the autolevel be 15. Having broken pent early on is cool I guess, but really I just want decent prepromotes. For example, 15/6 Lowen!Pent would have like 38 hp, 13 str/spd, and 16 def, which is much... less trash.

EDIT: just got to the wallace version of Four-Fanged Offense, and Matthew replaces Wallace, only he is an unpromoted thief, despite the fact that I skipped lyn mode, so he should be an assassin. That, and he is only level 1, as if he was promoted. Of course his stats are much too high for a level 1 thief. This shouldn't happen, though I recall it happened with the old randomizer too, so maybe this just isn't fixable? It seems like an easy fix to me, but then again, I'm not the guy who made the randomizer.

Another issue with unit stats, I had a few oddities. For starters, there was Bartre!Hector who despite only de-leveling one level, lost a point in almost every stat, for an epic two base speed. This is fine I guess, but was a little odd. More concerning, however, was Sain!Raven who came with lower bases than vanilla, despite getting hector hard mode bonuses. and being the same level as vanilla. I was also confused by Marcus!Ninian having 13 base speed (higher than vanilla marcus) at level 1 cavalier, but I later learned that for whatever reason he just copies Raven!Nils bases, even though I skipped lyn mode.

Also, I noticed that fe7's custom animations gimmick is unchanged from vanilla. This meant that Eliwood!Guy had his special myrmidon animations, Erk!Hawkeye had no animations whatsoever, etc. This means janky palettes at best, and game crashes at worst. The final boss turns on animations no matter what, and having a personal animation without a matching weapon type makes the game crash. At least, once again, this is an easy fix in FeBuilder. Whats weirder is that I'm pretty sure the old randomizer did adjust personal animations, but Yune doesnt?

A brief but related note, for whatever reason some units have janky palettes, even in classes they can get in vanilla. Priscilla!Marcus was one of them, and there was at least one more that I can't remember at the moment.

Also, a feature to make mages not trash in random classes would be cool. Almost every magical unit in random recruitment is gonna be borderline unusable because of the class bases, so an option to buff magical class bases would be good. There is the option that ignores class bases, but then every unit ends up feeling really similar to vanilla, and its just boring.

For some reason mashing the description of the wind sword creates some really wacky visual glitches. Not sure if you can even fix this or if its even a thing in vanilla, but I noticed it and it's weird. Probably caused by the description not fitting in the text box. Everything goes away when you reset the game though.

EDIT: I am using version 9.1, so sorry if any of these issues were fixed already in 9.2. btw, you should update the original post to say that the newest version is 9.2, because it still says 9.0

Btw I just wanna take a moment to say that even if I run into issues, I really do love this randomizer and I definitely respect the hard work that goes into this.

erk.png

pent bases.png

lowen pent.png

priscilla valkyrie.PNG

harken time.png

this is fine.png

sain why.png

wil incredible.png

random recruitment settings.PNG

matthew.png

Edited by Jerry311

On 10/1/2020 at 9:16 PM, mistaron said:

Hey I really enjoy the randomiser you made, however I can't get it to work with Path of Radiance

I can complete the prologue, but after the first scene of chapter one, the game freezes. Here is the setup I used https://prnt.sc/urhtgt

Any solutions?

I found out it was because I was using the dolphin emulator through RetroArch, which no longer supports updates for Dolphin so it was out of date. I downloaded the normal emulator and it worked fine

7 hours ago, Jerry311 said:

So, I'm playing through Fe7 with random recruitment, and I have a few issues.For starters, just in general every prepromote unit I have gotten so far has been varying degrees of awful. Upon doing some math, I discovered that they were all autoleveled with a level 10 promotion. This doesn't sound so bad, but units like Lowen!Pent and Erk!Hawkeye are just really not useful. Most hilarious was Wil!Isadora, without a single double digit stat besides hp. On that note, Lowen!Pent also got slaughtered reliably on the first turn of Living Legend as a green unit, so I had to use FeBuilder and give him 25 def and res. (Would have been unwinnable without hacking or mine glitch) Something else I found interesting was that units like Pent!Priscilla and Harken!Rath were actually just broken. I would recommend making the autolevel be 15. Having broken pent early on is cool I guess, but really I just want decent prepromotes. For example, 15/6 Lowen!Pent would have like 38 hp, 13 str/spd, and 16 def, which is much... less trash

Yeah, the autoleveling logic can be a bit hit or miss sometimes. I had to take quite a few stabs at it across the previous versions. Usually it flips back and forth between extremely useless to extremely overpowered. Part of this is because autoleveling is going to inherently favor unpromoted units becoming promoted units due to high growth and promoted units becoming unpromoted units being good due to naturally higher bases (from their lower growth). The other problem is that unpromoted to unpromoted can end up spotty as well, especially when the levels of units that join you also don't increase monotonically.

I do indeed treat promotion as a 10 level gap, so Lv1 Unpromoted to Lv1 Promoted is just 10 levels of their growths, in addition to the promotion bonus they would receive. Looking at the code, I also have special logic that apparently made brand new pre-promotes (i.e. unpromoted units becoming promoted units like what you're referring to) slightly worse by removing 3 levels, which I'm sure I had a reason to do, but at the moment, I don't remember, so maybe that's causing the discrepancy (though that's like 2 extra points at most in all areas). Honestly I might just remove that, because I'd rather units be a bit overpowered than causing softlocks. I can also adjust it to 15 levels for promotion, but I feel like that's a much more drastic change. Maybe we can try 13 levels for promotion. It's an odd number, but maybe that'll feel more balanced.

EDIT: just got to the wallace version of Four-Fanged Offense, and Matthew replaces Wallace, only he is an unpromoted thief, despite the fact that I skipped lyn mode, so he should be an assassin. That, and he is only level 1, as if he was promoted. Of course his stats are much too high for a level 1 thief. This shouldn't happen, though I recall it happened with the old randomizer too, so maybe this just isn't fixable? It seems like an easy fix to me, but then again, I'm not the guy who made the randomizer.

I'll have to look at Wallace as a special case, because the randomizer treats characters only as if they were one class (so I admittedly forgot about this case). In Wallace's case, I think it uses his normal class, which is a vanilla Knight. It's possible that his class here actually is changed in the script somewhere, or it loads one of two classes, which I don't take into account.

Another issue with unit stats, I had a few oddities. For starters, there was Bartre!Hector who despite only de-leveling one level, lost a point in almost every stat, for an epic two base speed. This is fine I guess, but was a little odd. More concerning, however, was Sain!Raven who came with lower bases than vanilla, despite getting hector hard mode bonuses. and being the same level as vanilla. I was also confused by Marcus!Ninian having 13 base speed (higher than vanilla marcus) at level 1 cavalier, but I later learned that for whatever reason he just copies Raven!Nils bases, even though I skipped lyn mode.

This is a bit weird. The delta should be

floor((growth / 100) * levels)

So if there's only one level, then that should be a change of 0. The only other thing I can think of is that it does use the level from the character data to determine what the level difference is, and that level isn't always consistent with the level that character shows up as (which is defined in the chapter data). On reflection, this probably explains Wallace. Bartre and Hector are consistent though, so I'm not sure what the deal of that is. And yeah, Ninian and Nils have some oddities, so one of the recommendations was an option to not randomize Ninian and Nils when doing random recruitment, since these are the issues it can cause.

Also, I noticed that fe7's custom animations gimmick is unchanged from vanilla. This meant that Eliwood!Guy had his special myrmidon animations, Erk!Hawkeye had no animations whatsoever, etc. This means janky palettes at best, and game crashes at worst. The final boss turns on animations no matter what, and having a personal animation without a matching weapon type makes the game crash. At least, once again, this is an easy fix in FeBuilder. Whats weirder is that I'm pretty sure the old randomizer did adjust personal animations, but Yune doesnt?

Yune should have stripped any kind of custom animations from the characters. This is one of the things it does prior to doing any kind of character randomization, precisely for the reason you listed. That said, looking at the code, I noticed I only do this when classes are randomized. So if you're only doing recruitment randomization, I have a bug to fix. 🙃

A brief but related note, for whatever reason some units have janky palettes, even in classes they can get in vanilla. Priscilla!Marcus was one of them, and there was at least one more that I can't remember at the moment.

The palette adaptation process isn't guaranteed. I think some characters and classes are particularly problematic as they have insufficient colors to map to other classes. Yune tries to make up a middle color or slightly different shade of the same color where necessary, but it's possible this won't ever look perfect on some classes. Troubadours and Nomads (and their promotions) are particularly problematic, since their horse happens to share a lot of the colors with the characters themselves. There's only so much you can do when the logic is written to be as loose as possible (i.e. without hardcoding a specific palette for each character/class combination).

Also, a feature to make mages not trash in random classes would be cool. Almost every magical unit in random recruitment is gonna be borderline unusable because of the class bases, so an option to buff magical class bases would be good. There is the option that ignores class bases, but then every unit ends up feeling really similar to vanilla, and its just boring.

I've heard this feedback more than once, but I'm unsure of how much of a buff this should be before it becomes the opposite problem. Should it be a flat +X buff to their result, or should it have a floor of Y (fill in X and Y as necessary)? And is Power the only stat that has this issue? Maybe it's something we apply to the class itself that buffs its base to make all mages (playable and enemy) better.

For some reason mashing the description of the wind sword creates some really wacky visual glitches. Not sure if you can even fix this or if its even a thing in vanilla, but I noticed it and it's weird. Probably caused by the description not fitting in the text box. Everything goes away when you reset the game though.

The only thing I can think of is a more general bugfix I made recently. If you are randomizing weapon effects as well, I do update the weapon descriptions to be more descriptive of the effects that were added so that they're easy to look up in gameplay. The bugfix wasn't specific to any game, but the diffing logic I had to apply changes was bugged so that every 1024 bytes written could have some changes that should have been made, but are not. This manifests in some really weird ways and the logic was used for all games.

EDIT: I am using version 9.1, so sorry if any of these issues were fixed already in 9.2. btw, you should update the original post to say that the newest version is 9.2, because it still says 9.0

Btw I just wanna take a moment to say that even if I run into issues, I really do love this randomizer and I definitely respect the hard work that goes into this.

Yeah, I usually keep the smaller (i.e. non-major) releases on the github page because I don't want to spam other places I post this to. I can update the first post to point to the new version, though. I appreciate all of the feedback, so keep them coming. 🙂

Edited by lushen124

6 minutes ago, lushen124 said:

Maybe we can try 13 levels for promotion. It's an odd number, but maybe that'll feel more balanced.

Don't think of it as a weird odd number, but as a cool prime number.

Could you also adjust autoleveling based on the growths of the unit in question or what their base total ends up after autoleveling? Like, if it's too low you give them back some levels.

I've heard this feedback more than once, but I'm unsure of how much of a buff this should be before it becomes the opposite problem. Should it be a flat +X buff to their result, or should it have a floor of Y (fill in X and Y as necessary)? And is Power the only stat that has this issue? Maybe it's something we apply to the class itself that buffs its base to make all mages (playable and enemy) better.

Could you have a player specific modification? If a unit randomizes from a physical unit to a mage and is a player unit, apply some bonus?

I don't think it's really a problem, but I also tend not to think problems are problems.

Yeah, I usually keep the smaller (i.e. non-major) releases on the github page because I don't want to spam other places I post this to. I can update the first post to point to the new version, though. I appreciate all of the feedback, so keep them coming. 🙂

Hey, did you ever get around to implementing "personal growths" to the randomizer?

33 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Don't think of it as a weird odd number, but as a cool prime number.

Could you also adjust autoleveling based on the growths of the unit in question or what their base total ends up after autoleveling? Like, if it's too low you give them back some levels.

Could you have a player specific modification? If a unit randomizes from a physical unit to a mage and is a player unit, apply some bonus?

I don't think it's really a problem, but I also tend not to think problems are problems.

Hey, did you ever get around to implementing "personal growths" to the randomizer?

Depends on how you define "too low" lol. I'm actually wondering if we're going about autoleveling in the wrong way. To be more consistent, another way is to keep giving them "level ups" (or level downs) until they reach the same base stat total as the person they're replacing. This would make prepromotes that become unpromoted units be kind of garbage though. We could also choose to be asymmetrical in how we do the logic. Maybe leveling down uses the old logic, while leveling up tries to match the replacement.

We could apply a bonus, but it really depends on what the bonus is. The opposite problem would be mage units being noticeably better than non-mage units due to said buff.

And to be perfectly honest, I had forgotten about the personal growths idea until you brought it up again. I'll add it to the github so that I don't forget. 🙂

1 hour ago, lushen124 said:

Depends on how you define "too low" lol. I'm actually wondering if we're going about autoleveling in the wrong way. To be more consistent, another way is to keep giving them "level ups" (or level downs) until they reach the same base stat total as the person they're replacing. This would make prepromotes that become unpromoted units be kind of garbage though.

Wouldn't removing their class base total from their "total bases" total before comparing them account for that?

We could apply a bonus, but it really depends on what the bonus is. The opposite problem would be mage units being noticeably better than non-mage units due to said buff

Maybe +2 magic, +1 skill, and +1 speed could be the bonus? As is, mages have lower base strength than soldiers and lower base speed than fighters. This would kinda those two, at least.

And to be perfectly honest, I had forgotten about the personal growths idea until you brought it up again. I'll add it to the github so that I don't forget. 🙂

Thanks, looking forward to it!

I decided to give FE7 a whirl too and it's mostly been working well, but I found a strange behavior. 

When trying to promote units who randomized into lords, the Heaven Seal is selectively available.

Lyn randomized into herself and turned into an Eliwood lord; The Heaven Seal works for her. However, I have Oswin -> Nils as a Hector lord who cannot use it to promote. Technically I have a Lyn lord and other Hector lord as well, but they aren't high enough level to try.

I'm playing Hector Hard Mode for this one and wasn't sure if this was caused by something about Nils, it being the Hector class in Hector mode, or some other issue.

Output from the log

image.thumb.png.87b6697f8233e1bfda7084ea106695d9.png

16 hours ago, Graveless said:

I decided to give FE7 a whirl too and it's mostly been working well, but I found a strange behavior. 

When trying to promote units who randomized into lords, the Heaven Seal is selectively available.

Lyn randomized into herself and turned into an Eliwood lord; The Heaven Seal works for her. However, I have Oswin -> Nils as a Hector lord who cannot use it to promote. Technically I have a Lyn lord and other Hector lord as well, but they aren't high enough level to try.

I'm playing Hector Hard Mode for this one and wasn't sure if this was caused by something about Nils, it being the Hector class in Hector mode, or some other issue.

The heaven seal changes its usage depending on the mode. On Eliwood mode, it promotes Hector Lord and Lyn Lord, while on Hector mode, it promotes Eliwood Lord and Lyn Lord. This is true in the vanilla game as well.

One of the things I'm looking into right now is actually to make this a bit more like the vanilla game and allow non-Lord characters that become Lord classes to promote normally, but also making sure that Lord characters (regardless of the class) cannot promote by any other means than their normal promotion. In terms of FE7, this means that, on Eliwood mode, for example, Hector and Lyn, regardless of their class, can only promote with the Heaven Seal, and Eliwood's promotion is scripted. So even if Hector were to become a Cavalier, Knights Crest would NOT work on Hector. However if, say, Sain became a Hector Lord, he WOULD be able to promote with the Knights Crest.

19 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Wouldn't removing their class base total from their "total bases" total before comparing them account for that?

Maybe +2 magic, +1 skill, and +1 speed could be the bonus? As is, mages have lower base strength than soldiers and lower base speed than fighters. This would kinda those two, at least.

Thanks, looking forward to it!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the first point. Promoted -> Unpromoted would be garbage because their growth rates are generally worse than Unpromoted units normally are. So if I decreased their bases until the point where they matched unpromoted units' bases, they would never be able to catch back up because of their lower growths. Normally what saves them with autoleveling is that their level downs don't change much because their growths worse. So under the current system, prepromotes becoming unpromoted units should have better than expected bases with the trade off being that they wouldn't be growing all that much. Unpromoted units that become prepromotes are a bit worse because they were assuming a promotion level of 10 (and then -3 for a reason I don't remember). Hopefully changing it to 12 or 13 and then removing the -3 should rectify it.

As for mages, my understanding is that they're pretty trash because their class bases are pretty trash (due to them targeting RES instead of DEF, where RES is usually worse than DEF). For example, a mercenary gets 4 base STR, while a mage starts with a 1 base MAG. What we could do is just bring that MAG class base more in line with physical class STR base. This would affect both playable characters and enemies, which I think is a fair trade. Alternatively, we only buff playable characters, but that feels like an unnecessary buff for playable units. I don't know, I could go both ways on it, because on one hand, I get that it is a change that is more than randomization, but I also get that magic users get the short end of the stick in this regard.

5 hours ago, lushen124 said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the first point. Promoted -> Unpromoted would be garbage because their growth rates are generally worse than Unpromoted units normally are.

Ah, that's my mistake then. I thought that demoted units would end up weaker because they have higher bases from their class, so deleveling them to the level of a unit with lower class bases would...I don't know. It seems intuitively correct at the time.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the first point. Promoted -> Unpromoted would be garbage because their growth rates are generally worse than Unpromoted units normally are. So if I decreased their bases until the point where they matched unpromoted units' bases, they would never be able to catch back up because of their lower growths. Normally what saves them with autoleveling is that their level downs don't change much because their growths worse. So under the current system, prepromotes becoming unpromoted units should have better than expected bases with the trade off being that they wouldn't be growing all that much. Unpromoted units that become prepromotes are a bit worse because they were assuming a promotion level of 10 (and then -3 for a reason I don't remember). Hopefully changing it to 12 or 13 and then removing the -3 should rectify it.

There are some promoted units with fairly decent growths that could come out alright, but I can see the concern for most of them.

Maybe the right approach would be to accept that randomizers are inherently unbalanced. That -3 thing was probably some attempt at "rectifying" that and might have just messed things up a bit more, so maybe going as plain and simple as possible would offer the best results.

As for mages, my understanding is that they're pretty trash because their class bases are pretty trash (due to them targeting RES instead of DEF, where RES is usually worse than DEF). For example, a mercenary gets 4 base STR, while a mage starts with a 1 base MAG. What we could do is just bring that MAG class base more in line with physical class STR base. This would affect both playable characters and enemies, which I think is a fair trade. Alternatively, we only buff playable characters, but that feels like an unnecessary buff for playable units. I don't know, I could go both ways on it, because on one hand, I get that it is a change that is more than randomization, but I also get that magic users get the short end of the stick in this regard.

Well, they do still hit res. Again, maybe the best approach would be just to leave things as they came / originally were.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

@zigludo_ssb Since you suggested the idea, would you be willing to beta test the Custom Prf weapons feature? I'm not quite ready to do a full release yet, but I'd like to see if somebody can help me verify that nothing is broken beyond the first couple chapters. The feature should be available under both random classes or random recruitment for FE6, 7, and 8. Let me know what platform you're on and I can make a special build. Anybody else is also free to volunteer.

51 minutes ago, lushen124 said:

Anybody else is also free to volunteer.

I'd be happy to help, although I don't have a ton of time to playtest everything. FE8 would be easy and fast enough to give it a spin or two, though!

Also, could making HM bonuses a thing be an option for the Randomizer?

15 hours ago, Benice said:

I'd be happy to help, although I don't have a ton of time to playtest everything. FE8 would be easy and fast enough to give it a spin or two, though!

Also, could making HM bonuses a thing be an option for the Randomizer?

I'm not sure what you mean by HM bonuses being a thing, because I didn't specifically make them not a thing, so any HM bonuses should still be applying if they were in the original game.

Also, let me know which platform you're on (Windows (32 or 64 bit), macOS, or Linux) so I can build the appropriate binary.

2 minutes ago, lushen124 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by HM bonuses being a thing, because I didn't specifically make them not a thing, so any HM bonuses should still be applying if they were in the original game.

Aren't hard mode bonuses absent in FE8? I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall all enemy playables have the same stats on Hard as Normal mode.

3 minutes ago, lushen124 said:

Also, let me know which platform you're on (Windows (32 or 64 bit), macOS, or Linux) so I can build the appropriate binary.

Windows 64 bit.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Aren't hard mode bonuses absent in FE8? I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall all enemy playables have the same stats on Hard as Normal mode.

Windows 64 bit.

Oh, right. I believe the bonuses are limited to those above a specific character ID, specifically to not apply it to playable characters. We could make it an option. By my count, this affects Joshua, Amelia, Rennac, and Marisa. I can look into it.

In the meantime, here's a beta build to test the Prf weapons. Things to look for:

* Prf weapons should have the same stats as the original Prf weapon. For Eirika, Eliwood, and Roy, this should match the Rapier. For Lyn, it should match the Mani Katti. For Hector, it should match the Wolf Beil, and for Ephraim, it should match Reginleif. This includes the effectiveness, which should be Armored Knights and Horseback units (and if it's a bow, flying units as well).

* The Prf weapon should only be usable by the lord character. No other characters, even those that match the class, should be able to use the weapon.

* The Lord character should no longer be able to promote without the story appropriate item, regardless of their class. For Roy, this means the story event at Chapter 30. For FE7, Lyn requires a Heaven Seal, and the lord that's not the main character also requires a Heaven's Seal. The one that is requires the story event. FE8 requires the story event or the Lunar/Solar Brace.

* I haven't applied the same thing to the legendary weapons yet. That's coming later.

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg2o8lyzbrvmn1m/Yune.jar?dl=0

Edited by lushen124

17 minutes ago, lushen124 said:

Oh, right. I believe the bonuses are limited to those above a specific character ID, specifically to not apply it to playable characters. We could make it an option. By my count, this affects Joshua, Amelia, Rennac, and Marisa. I can look into it.

Great! Thank you!

17 minutes ago, lushen124 said:

In the meantime, here's a beta build to test the Prf weapons. Things to look for:

* Prf weapons should have the same stats as the original Prf weapon. For Eirika, Eliwood, and Roy, this should match the Rapier. For Lyn, it should match the Mani Katti. For Hector, it should match the Wolf Beil, and for Ephraim, it should match Reginleif. This includes the effectiveness, which should be Armored Knights and Horseback units (and if it's a bow, flying units as well).

* The Prf weapon should only be usable by the lord character. No other characters, even those that match the class, should be able to use the weapon.

* The Lord character should no longer be able to promote without the story appropriate item, regardless of their class. For Roy, this means the story event at Chapter 30. For FE7, Lyn requires a Heaven Seal, and the lord that's not the main character also requires a Heaven's Seal. The one that is requires the story event. FE8 requires the story event or the Lunar/Solar Brace.

* I haven't applied the same thing to the legendary weapons yet. That's coming later.

All right! I shall get down to that very soon. Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: The dropbox link doesn't seem to give me an option to download anything-It just sends me to dropbox's home page.

Edited by Benice

That did the trick! Thanks.

EDIT: @lushen124, I have run a few randomizations, and so far, almost everything is working properly! The prf weapons are functional and work the way they should, at least for the Moon Sword and Moon bow.

There was, however, a bug, when I randomized with these settings:

Spoiler

BSkluDS.pngiPCUYvi.png

When I used those settings, anything that fought any armor knight, (but only armor knights) would have broken animations:

74R8i3G.pngoHsMwFY.png

Every class I saw fighting the armor knights seemed to do this-They'd just load about half of the animation, but were generally missing a limb or a body.

Aside from that, everything seems to be working as intended so far!

Edited by Benice

That's a new one. The sprites seem to be half-loading? I'll try replicating your settings. Thanks for the report!

EDIT: So I just used your settings, but I was unable to get the same result that you did (I got Cav Duessel as Eirika and Assassin Forde as Seth). Are you sure those are the same settings?

Assuming they are:

1. Was Armor Knight Marisa the lord unit? This would point to an issue with the new class I created.

2. I'm not sure why she's using Gilliam's default palette. If the palettes were swapped correctly, she should have a different color. If they were swapped incorrectly, she should have the generic armor knight palette.

3. Even though I couldn't reproduce your exact situation, my armor knight animations seem to load fine. Does this happen with different seeds/settings as well?

Edited by lushen124

• 2 weeks later...