Hi,

I wanted to talk about challenge runs, but any of them in any FE game.

I had the idea of GBA/3DS FE without using supply and trading only during the chapters (no battle prep trading), maybe even no armory in battle preps (completely skip prep), maybe no supports along that (I never really used supports in FE and never needed them so far before FE 13 and the pair up mechanic showed up, only to buff Colm/Neimi and sometimes Eirika, most of the time I didn't even click "support").

I think a run with the weakest available (repairable/buyable) weapons would be funny depending on the game (well that's basically how I play FE8 most of the time ^^ with iron, fire, light and flux except for endgame bosses with high def/res and hp who hit like a crashing plane in your face with 120-150 accuracy ouch).

Swapping roles (physical units with magic and magical weapons, magical unit with physical weapons).

No mobility (playing with 4 movement on everyone like you have an army of knights).

No 1-2 range weapon (or use it like you use a 1 range or 2 range, no javelin/throwing axe ennemy phase army).

Swords/Bows/Magic only run (Laguz/shapeshifters only run with only the necessary non shapeshifter stuff like Ike to defeat Burger King's terrible plan to raise obesity in the whole world, and you play some Amazonian tribe resisting the empire of Burger King and its' fat church leaders wth their panther transformation XD).

Only the less accurate weapons run.

Devil axe run (might need to hack an unbreakable devil axe though). This would be a hardcore Nuzlock challenge.

Only poison weapons.

Only effective weapons.

Only the lowest level units available, maintain an average level (lol you can't even promote then).

Only lowest speed/luck/strength/def/res/mag/hp...units. (funny to see a team of Arthur-like units get (nuz)locked out of the PT by a random crit: "Hi Knoll how's it goin'?" "Got crit killed by the first ennemy I fought, I should have instantly promoted to summoner and spam summons till I hit 20..." "Sad story bro, see you in the next PMU since no one plays you without farming").

Your ideas?

Just do a run of any game with FE4 trading rules. Keep track of the money each character has individually accumulated and they can only share with their A/S supported partner. All regular weapons and items have to be sold and bought back. Special items get a trade penalty where you add/knock off money from the giving/taking unit's total cash.

Edited by Solvaij

59 minutes ago, Solvaij said:

Just do a run of any game with FE4 trading rules. Keep track of the money each character has individually accumulated and they can only share with their A/S supported partner. All regular weapons and items have to be sold and bought back. Special items get a trade penalty where you add/knock off money from the giving/taking unit's total cash.

Seems hard to keep track of it all, must write everything in order to know where you are, and more importantly how do you get gold on each unit? most of the time the gold comes in huge packs in chests or money stones and it would mean you have to know exactly which one is needed at which moment for which unit (except if you only play Seth and give everything to him until you can play another unit you want to bring into the late game). FE4 had individual unit gold on many random ennemies, and on castle visits which is why it worked well in that game.

Edited by mangasdeouf

Hope you don't mind me making a few comments (in spoiler box due to how long my comments became) before making a few suggestions of my own:

Spoiler
2 hours ago, mangasdeouf said:

I had the idea of GBA/3DS FE without using supply and trading only during the chapters (no battle prep trading), maybe even no armory in battle preps (completely skip prep), maybe no supports along that (I never really used supports in FE and never needed them so far before FE 13 and the pair up mechanic showed up, only to buff Colm/Neimi and sometimes Eirika, most of the time I didn't even click "support").

I suspect this would go one of two ways, either carefully preplanned item management that might be interesting, or there would this tedious item management phase at the end of seize maps (especially with shops) where you deal with all the item management you need to. Reminds me of one youtuber critique of FE1 where they always had to setup queues in front of the shop and supply building to deal with item management... As for supports, I doubt it would change much in the GBA era, but it would be a noticeable weakening in the pairup games of the 3ds.

2 hours ago, mangasdeouf said:

Swapping roles (physical units with magic and magical weapons, magical unit with physical weapons).

Unless this is a three houses, one of the class changing games, or involves hacking, the limited number of magic weapons, and almost nonexistence of physical options for magic classes (OK, some earlier games gave physical options on mage promotion, some rare classes in FE4 and FE5, and you have the terrible option to pick the pretend physical weapons when Sages promote on PoR) would make this almost untenable. That being said in the right game that would be interesting.

3 hours ago, mangasdeouf said:

No 1-2 range weapon (or use it like you use a 1 range or 2 range, no javelin/throwing axe ennemy phase army).

I suspect this wouldn't change much as much as you might think, and just make things more tedious. It also would basically force you to bench mages, which tend to only have 1-2 range options.

No mobility (playing with 4 movement on everyone like you have an army of knights).

I suspect this would just be more tedious, but I am not entirely certain. Oddly enough I wonder how well flier and mounted units would do with only 4 move, especially if they had the better version of canto.

Swords/Bows/Magic only run

I think this would end up being  a more interesting version of the no 1-2 range weapon challenge, as the lack of 1-2 range is what makes swords and bows so bad in most games (at least in the post Kaga era when swords were made bad), and thus it would force you to use otherwise less used units. Plus still having magic as an option is nice.

Only the less accurate weapons run

So a challenge to make games feel more like FE6 then...Why not just cut out the middle man and play FE6 😛

Devil axe run (might need to hack an unbreakable devil axe though). This would be a hardcore Nuzlock challenge.

Only poison weapons.

Only effective weapons.

I think you would have some real availability issues with these as they are generally uncommon or rare weapon types. You might find a way to make it work in some of the newer games, or by hacking some extras in.

4 hours ago, mangasdeouf said:

Only the lowest level units available, maintain an average level (lol you can't even promote then).

I feel like this would devolve into intentionally not recruiting, or killing off characters, it would probably have a fairly normal team of units until you start running into issues with the Lord(s) preventing promotions. I suppose you might have to run this on the lower difficulties of some games, with how necessary some of the "Jagen" characters are on some of the stupidly high difficulties.

As for a few suggested challenge runs, I think I will suggest a less restrictive version of the most intense challenge run I did, never let a paired-up unit be target-able on enemy phase. The extreme focus on attack stance that this challenge forces makes, and the inability to use guard stance to ignore enemy attack stances, or perfect block, make for a really interesting run.

This is a bit cliche suggestion, but a good one is to do a PMU on one of the class change heavy games (FE11,12,13,14,16), and explicitly ask for weird class choices.  Doing that helped make my Lunatic Revelations run a lot of fun.

Another run I think would be interesting is a Bond Unit (plus Corrin) only run of one of the Fates trio, although setting it up now would be a bit difficult unless you have a full team of them hiding in your unit log already.

A negative growths patch sounds like an interesting run to do, as it really flips a lot of the standard ideas about how to play FE on its head.