Why is Geno So Popular?

Bk1234

Geno is a very popular character when it comes to smash. I've been very interested in his inclusion as of late. However, I have to ask myself why is Geno SO popular? He only appeared in one game (he was only a cameo in another). 

I actually don't know.

Super Mario RPG wasn't really a game that focused on writing. It was more focused in how they innovated the gameplay with action commands you see in every Mario RPG and add some platforming to the exploration of the game. 

Also depends on region. In Europe Super Mario RPG didn't came out so I knew very late of Genos. I see Chrono Trigger the same way. Also didn't came out so we are less likely here to have some nostalgia about it. And I am sometimes wondering why it is popular (Even with all the background information). 

Secret of Mana has been a big part of my childhood and nostalgia. And compared to those I don't see it mentioned as often. Even if I feel like a lot of people who are gamers and played SNES played the game in my region. 

Starting to talk more about franchises, but I think it applies a lot. Often how games have been promoted in certain regions their characters show big prominence there..

Edited by Stroud

There are so many Mario RPGs that they are a subfranchise at this point, and i think many people want a character from those in Smash. Geno seems to be the favoured one, likely because most other option are either alts of Mario and Luigi or one-offs like him.

Trying to remember my experiences in mid 2000s message boards, Super Mario RPG fans were once a very vocal fanbase at a time where you couldn't just walk to your local game store and buy it at a reasonable price. Yes, even at a time where we were getting very good games like Thousand Year Door and the Mario & Luigi games as spiritual successors, there was still a call to go back to the franchise's roots. Most people have the greatest attachment to whichever one they played first, and for a whole SNES generation of people, the answer was SMRPG. That generation was also older, and capable of creating wonderful artwork and tributes to their favorite game even before the era of Youtube, like this one (read the description to note that this is a remix of an even older remix, both of which I definitely remember listening to a lot growing up). And here's another popular tribute showing some of the earliest days of smash speculation wherein a lot of fans were bickering about character additions in Brawl - while also realizing the irony and bizarreness trying to argue which games were the most loved.

Super Mario RPG was released for virtual console in 2008, some time after Brawl was released. So a lot more people got a chance to play it, especially PAL regions who never got the game in the first place. Heck, it's still available for purchase for anybody that owns a Wii U or can nab a SNES classic. When a new wave of players got to the game, we started seeing people latch onto other great characters, like that game's portrayal of Bowser, and even Mallow who used to be the butt of every joke. Rediscovery of the game did a lot for its popularity. Really there aren't a lot of "forgotten" games left these days, with how many get cheaply priced re-releases and sequels. Even games like Medieval and Shenmue just re-emerge like it was never a big deal. But in the mid 2000s and earlier, games didn't get a second chance. It was tragic, but it also made our memories seem even more precious and personal.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot. Sakurai has gone on the record saying he wanted Geno in Smash, and acknowledged the popularity of the character during the development of Brawl. So that 2016 interview probably led to the resurgence of Geno in Smash speculation in the current era. Personally, I don't remember many calls for Geno in the pre-Smash 4 days. It was always just memes/references to Geno blowing up Japan for not getting in Brawl.

Edited by Glennstavos

I don't know why he's liked so much either. I didn't care for any of the characters in Super Mario RPG, personally. The story in the game is good tho.

As it happens, my first Mario RPG was Superstar Saga, but of course when I got to the Little Fungitown arcade I thought little of this blue-clad doll showing me how to play. But I eventually I watched a Let's Play of SMRPG, and I definitely see why Geno is so popular. To be frank, if I had actually played it as a kid, I think Geno would have been my favorite character at least once I stopped latching on to Mario so tightly.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Personally, I don't remember many calls for Geno in the pre-Smash 4 days. It was always just memes/references to Geno blowing up Japan for not getting in Brawl.

Yep. I remember them well, those Smash Kingdom videos on Newgrounds. Boy how far the roster's come since. Kinda wish they'd make another video just to see how Geno would react to getting a Mii costume in Smash 4.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Personally, I don't remember many calls for Geno in the pre-Smash 4 days. It was always just memes/references to Geno blowing up Japan for not getting in Brawl.

Trust me, he was a VERY popular pick going back to probably Melee.

For as long as I can remember, it was pretty much K. Rool, Ridley and Geno as the 3 biggest wants from the community. Maybe Diddy and Pit were up there before Brawl, too.

Edited by Slumber

Bruh. Do you  even know the glory that is Super Mario RPG ?

*actually see smarter response than mine*

Oh.Well actually my point still stand. 😛

More seriously; I think, other than the game being great, but it might be because it's relatively still in the obscure, especially in comparison to Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, to not know those you have to be living under a bridge.
I'm not saying I don't want a Randi or a Chrono ! I'm all for it you have no idea.