What do you usually do with talismans?

CatManThree

So I was playing Three Houses today and after happening to obtaining a Talisman. When it came to trying to decide on who to give it to however, I came to a sudden realization: I almost never have had any real idea who who to give those two points of res or really what to do with the Talisman at all (unless I am trying to meme a specific unit in which case they get all or most stat boosters).

So, purely out of random curiosity, I thought of asking what any of you usually do with talismans specifically. So, what DO you all do with talismans you come across in FE games? Do you suffer from the same problem? Are there specific types of units you give them to? Do you just go and sell the thing?

This question isn't restricted to cases in Three Houses of course, just in general throughout various FE games. Including FE1 and 3 (if you've played em) with those huge +7 and +4 res boosts instead of just +2 like every other game.

Give 'em to my best physical units, (usually fighters or Wyverns) unless I have a dark magic user who needs a boost.

I usually give them to the units with already high Resistance, to ensure that they meet their thresholds. Some other times I give them to the front-liners, as long as they have a meaningful base (say, to a Paladin who already has 18 Res, but not to a Hero with 7 Res.)

I use all stat boosters, but if the relevant units are doing fine, I wait a couple of levels to check if one needs to compensate something.

It's hard to say since mages so rarely pose a threat due to only making up about 10% of the enemies. My instinct says to give it to low res units, but they'll still be nuked either way in harsher difficulties, especially if the mages are fast enough to double. Unless the map is fog of war, there is no expectation that I'll be letting these units bait mages. Most often I'd give it to units with already high Res in order to improve their role of safely baiting enemy mages and not needing healing afterward. That tends to work out well, since I think Fates is the only game where enemy units not only acknowledge they do no damage, but won't be baited from their position at all.

I also tend to have many playthroughs where I use no stat boosters at all. They're in the Too Good to Use Club. You understand.

Really depends from game to game.

For the most part, I'll give them to whomever is the best at killing mages.  Sometimes it's the practically magic-immune pegasus knight that can just charge right at a mage, other times it's the high-strength mercenary who needs a helping hand with magic resistance.

My reasoning is that if someone's gonna be my mage killer, they're gonna need the resistance boosts the most.  Sure, some other units might be Res-compromised, but they're not gonna be the ones tanking all the magic attacks.  At worst, they'll be in the range of some siege tome wielders, but in that case they can pop a quick Pure Water and be fairly safe from harm.

Might also give some to a well-rounded unit in the event that I come across a unit that can wield both magic and physical weaponry at 1-2 range.

i throw all of my stat boosters onto the main lord because i'm too lazy to build teams correctly and they're getting deployed every map anyways

Depending on the situation.

If the main lord can't promote until late game (like Leif or Roy) I might give it to them. But normally I'd give them to my mages...it may sound redundant but I usually pit physical fighters and magic users against each other.

Depends on the playthrough, really.

In my lunatic Revelations playthrough, I built my Corrin to be able to solo the game because that's just what I felt like doing. So all talismans (and all stat boosters, I guess, but eh) went to him. He ended up as a General with equal defense and res, enough to facetank anything the game threw at him (including the many wyrmslayers that were thrown his way during aux battles)

That run was an exception, though. Normally meme units are just born in my playthroughs that necessitate stat boosters to make them feel more unique and special. The prime example I can think of is the time Oswin gained a surprising amount of speed and resistance, so he got all of my speedwings and talismans that playthrough. That was fun.

If nothing like that happens, then I just give my talismans to my best physical tank and attempt to make them something of a mixed fighter.

I usually send my Mages to fight other Mages, so as crazy as it sounds, they usually tend to get Talismans in my playthroughs. Especially in Three Houses, this has really paid off for me. It can get a Mage from taking minimal but enough damage to taking negligible to no damage at all.

As with any statbooster, they go to my unit that has the lowest value in that stat, while it not being a dumpstat for them.

Except for PoR, there it's given to whoever is 1 or 2 points away from capping it at lvl 20/20 (which surprisingly often happens to be Ike for res).

In games where gold is irrelevant or easily attainable (read: Three Houses, Sacred Stones, Echoes SoV, Awakening), I'll use it - typically on mid-range Resistance units who I want to tank magical hits a little better.

If I'm playing for Funds Rank on FE6 or FE7, I'll simply let it take up space in the Convoy.

Any other case, I guess I'd just sell it.

Depends on whether or not I'm doing an Ironman run. If not, they usually go to a reliable front-line unit that needs a resistance boost. If I am, I tend to give them to the lord as they're the only character that needs to survive every map and any boost in durability is welcome.