compilation of all new texts in library new info about the church and tech. possible twsitd involvement in kingdom

This is interesting stuff. I hope someone does a dissection of this stuff and that I don’t miss it. I was disappointed at first when it seemed there wasn’t anything new in the library as I played CS. Are these accessible in the main story after beating CS?

6 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

This is interesting stuff. I hope someone does a dissection of this stuff and that I don’t miss it. I was disappointed at first when it seemed there wasn’t anything new in the library as I played CS. Are these accessible in the main story after beating CS?

Yes, but only in part two, and you have to "hire" a librarian by paying Renown

Some quick, brief analysis/speculation:

Spoiler

Letter to a mysterious noble: Possibly referring to the founding of House Galatea, since it mentions the possibility of a house splitting in two with one half joining the Kingdom and the other half remaining in the Alliance. The guy who is looking to join the Kingdom also has a major crest compared to his brother's minor crest, and I'm pretty sure I remember Ingrid commenting that her family's bloodline was considered strong.

An antiquated note: This is a recipe for the Best of Fódlan, which can be prepared in the dining hall. Since it's just on a scrap of paper that was probably eing used as a bookmark or something, it seems like it made its way into the Shadow Library by accident, and not because it was considered particularly elicit or subversive. All it really tells us is that the recipe is old and has been used at Imperial coronations?

The Feast of Decadence: This has been discussed in another thread. I agree with the interpretation that this is a work of fiction, and little of its historicity should be taken at face value.

Words of love: "Saint Cethlean's Love Garland" may be referencing the same thing as the between-chapter naration for the Garland Moon, "women weave white rose garlands as gifts for friends or lovers". "Letter to a mysterious noble" also mentions the significance of being a "Garland Bride". Quite how these came to be associated with Saint Cethlean isn't clear, but is ironic given her father's over-protectiveness.

Burnt remnants of a paper: There's a lot going on here. Page 2 suggests a Slitherer involvement in the Faerghus Rebelion, with "mysterious weapons, so like Heroes' Relics" likely referring to Agarthan technology. If this is true, it would go against what Edelgard says in her speech when she declares war, where she says that the Church divided Fódlan to more easily rule it. Possibly the Slitherers were the ones who plotted the independence of Faerghus and Leicester as a way of promoting tension and in-fighting, and then planted the idea that the Church did it with Edelgard? Page 3 is another example of a plot to try to divide the land, albeit an unsuccesful one since the will here was recognised as fake. The "shadowed order of the Knights of Seiros" is mysterious. Is there actually some hidden espionage force within the Church hierarchy, or was it speculation by the author? Is the author aware of TWSITD and had speculated they were with the Church given the influence they can bring to bear? Given that this stretches in time from the Faerghus Rebelion to the assassinaion of Claude's uncle, with seemingly contemporary reports of both, this either has multiple authors, or one author with a lifespan longer than a human.

Encyclopedia of Fódlan's Insects: Here, the banned items are, of course, telescopes, oil, the printing press, and autopsies. In our world, these were contributors to the renaissance, enlightenment and scientific revolution, so banning them definitely reads as Rhea trying to hold back progress. The printing press especially was important to the Protestant Reformation and challenges to the authority of the Catholic Church, so this isn't a good look for Rhea.

Romance of the World's Perdition: Seems to be an account of how the Agarthans went underground to eventually become TWSITD but this asks more questions than it answers. In our world, Thinis was a city in Ancient Egypt, but I have no clue what, if any, significance the other city names have.

The Truth of Heroes' Relics: This doesn't really tell us much we didn't already know about the nature of Relics. What it does tell us is that other people have researched them in the past, managed to figure out the truth, and had their work supressed. Which is hardly surprising.

Fragments of a forgotten memoir: Seems to imply that the Ten Elites didn't really know what was actually going on with Nemesis, Seiros and the world at large? Could the "muddy waters" be referencing the swamp from the final map of Verdant Wind? Also, a nice reference to "Ailell Forest", from a time before it became the Valley of Torment.

Mysteries of the Calendar, vol 2: The old calendar being described is actually the real world calendar. Though, curiously, the Fódlan calendar that starts in April/Great Tree Moon is closer to the original version of our calendar create by the Romans, in which a year began in March, than our current calendar is. I wonder if the calendar similarity is meant to imply that Fódlan is acually a future version of Earth, after world-shaping catasrophes, and that the Agarthans are our descendants. There is obviously not nearly enough to be able to say that with certainty, but it does feel that it is being hinted at as maybbe something that might be possible?

Is anyone else seeing other stuff that I missed?