When do I promote Corrin? (+Mag/-Lck Malig Knight build)

King Kazma

Hello, everybody. I am currently doing a Lunatic Conquest run (chapter 12) with a +Mag/-Lck Corrin for a Malig Knight build. I'm thinking about getting Draconic Hex at lvl 15 as a Nohr Noble and training my tomb skill level in the meantime. But most likely scenario is Heart Seal right when she promotes. Promoting to Wyvern Rider right now with no magic options feels kinda weird, but let me know your opinions. 

Also, Jakob's kinda been pulling Corrin's weight as a Paladin. Corrin doubles, but she doesn't net more kills than Jakob already does (S+ support).

Thanks in advance!

+Mag -Luck Cornflakes is an easy, solid build, and one that I have played numerous times with. The growths of Nohr Noble and Malig Knight are basically the same and the caps are also similar, but the former is faster (like 5 Points at any given point), while the latter is a bit defter and bulkier.

On my campaigns, Cornflakes usually reaches Level 19 by Chapter 13-14, which is when I use Master Seals. If yours is still at a lower level, Chapter 15 was tailored for Cornflakes to level-up and gain weapon proficiency. Just hand her a Fire tome (Elise should already have [a forged] one by then) and let her face every single enemy with Opa or Smurfette in Guard Stance. She always reaches D-proficiency in Tomes by the middle of the map and can then wield Thunder or Horse Spirit.

I value Draconic Hex, therefore I would wait until L19/5 to class-change her into a Malig Knight, which in my experience happens during Chapter 17.

That being said, I prefer Norh Noble over Malig Knight because the offensive and defensive bonuses of the Dragon Stones are better than the bonuses provided by the Malig Knight class. A Nohr Noble with the Dragon Stone Plus will one-hit way more enemies than a Malig Knight with Trample; and she will also do it earlier (say, one-hitting Faceless in Chapter 21, or Spear Masters in Chapters 20 and 23.)
Even if you gave Cornflakes an Arms Scroll to start at D-proficiency in Axes, she would still have to face a lot of battles to reach C-proficiency and take advantage of her high Magic with the Bolt Axe. It hits hard but cancels Dragon Fang. In the battles where a common Axe is used, the Yato is at least as effective. The Hammer is handy, I give you that, but it is only in Chapters 18, 26 and Endgame. And even then, Lightning would deal more damage or secure the kill more easily in any of those cases.

Obviously, I cannot assess how much useful is flying and +2 movement to you, to your playstyle. Therefore you can, with reason, say that Malig Knight is already superior from the get go. I still believe that Nohr Noble is a solid option.

About the comparison of Jakob and Corrin, well, you are using a pre-promote in the early chapters. In two more chapters, when everyone promotes, Jakob will equal them at best.

Edited by starburst