What if Azure Moon Dimitri would meet Crimson Flower Edelgard

This is a question I have asked myself for quite some time. I think that the only chance these two would have ever be able to coexist as if these two specific versions of these characters would be the ones to make peace between their different ideologies. 

Let's say if hypothetically due to some kind of anomaly, either. King Dimitri from the end of Azure Moon would end up in the world Edelgard created at the end of Crimson Flower, or the Edelgard from the end of Crimson Flower would end up in the kingdom created by Azure Moon Dimitri. What would they think of the realities of the other created? Would seeing what the other intended for a world lead to greater understanding of the other's motives and the events of the war? Would Edelgard and Dimitri be able to rekindle the relationship they had in their youth if they had a chance to interact with a far more ideal version of the other than existed in their respective world?

I do personally think that Edelgard having to kill Dimitri and Dimitri having to kill Edelgard would be actions that would haunt the both of them for decades to come, both wondering if there was ever a chance things might have turned out differently. How do you think they would react to a chance to undo past mistakes and reach an understanding they were never able to in their respective timelines.

"Are the Slithers still around?"
"The who?  Why is your head in your hands?  Where are you going?!"

OR

"WHO SET MY KINGDOM ON FIRE?!"

I don't think it would end well, no matter what.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

OR

Yeah, it would be rocky.

All the guilt, on top of everything crazy that happened in both timelines. There’d be a lot of stuff.

Meanwhile, both Byleths are having tea somewhere.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

OR

Cue explanation that Rhea was the one who set the kingdom capital on fire, hopefully Dimitri would actually believe that, but they were a lot of witnesses and some of those people who would be close to Dimitri in his timeline, like Byleth. I don't think it would be without drama, but I do think it is likely that Edelgard and immediately secretly misses each other, or at least have fond memories of their time together in the kingdom of Faerghus. The Agarthans not being dead in Azure Moon would definitely be a problem for Edelgard, but her presence in that world could lead to a chain of events of actually taking care of the problem

10 minutes ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

How funny that I thought of this for a Smash Timeline. F!Byleth and the BESF and M!Byleth and the Faerghus Fighters or whatever (+ Claude and Hilda, who were unrecruited).

I was thinking of making this crossed timelines idea into a story sometime after I finish the story about what happened after the end of crimson flower during the Shadow War against the Agarthans.

Guilt would definitely be a factor, I like writing stories about people working through that and it is an arc I had in mind for post-war Edelgard in both story ideas as I think it is the most natural direction her character would take after the war. I wonder how Edelgard would react to learning about how things went with her in the other timeline and how she was killed. Why do I have a feeling that crimson flower Edelgard would actually understand why her counterpart in the other timeline was killed? I mean, Azure Moon Edelgard basically insisted to die, but I wonder if crimson flower Edelgard would be horrified to learn that her counterpart took the step to transform into a demonic beast.

How would Dimitri react to learning his fate in the crimson flower timeline? Would he understand that he was a danger while so obsessed with revenge, or would he blame Edelgard for killing this other self?

23 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

How would Dimitri react to learning his fate in the crimson flower timeline? Would he understand that he was a danger while so obsessed with revenge, or would he blame Edelgard for killing this other self?

Will he learn that he wasn't actually in super revenge mode and just defending his home? Will he find out Edelgard kill him unarmed?

All valid points considering we see a exact reverse of this is AM.

1 minute ago, Deathcon said:

Will he learn that he wasn't actually in super revenge mode and just defending his home? Will he find out Edelgard kill him unarmed?

All valid points considering we see a exact reverse of this is AM.

Will he learn that this Dimitri still swore that he would do whatever it took to kill Edelgard even after he laid defeated? Or that Edelgard hated having to kill him, only doing so because she deemed it necessary. In any case Edelgard might have grown to regret her decision with time and might be pleased to have met a version of Dimitri not consumed by revenge.

For some reason I am imagining Edelgard would be more cool with Dimitri having killed her counterpart if she knew the details than Dimitri would be. Would go down like this:

Edelgard: "why did you execute me in cold blood, have you no sense of mercy?"
Dimitri: "I did show mercy, you just wouldn't accept it"
Edelgard: "good point, that does sound like me, I would like to die on my own terms"

There is also the fact that Dimitri was willing to show Edelgard mercy even after all the death she caused during the war, wouldn't he be willing to do the same to another version of Edelgard, who is guilty of less egregious devastation?

9 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

There is also the fact that Dimitri was willing to show Edelgard mercy even after all the death she caused during the war, wouldn't he be willing to do the same to another version of Edelgard, who is guilty of less egregious devastation?

*Says Edelgard in AM cause more deaths than CF*

I am pretty sure she kills almost everyone important in all other houses and most of the Kos except Claude, Marrianne, and those not recruited.

She also conquers everything on her way which causes many indirect deaths, while she did cause a quicker end to the war she still probably killed more in that war than AM where she takes a mostly passive and defensive route in the main campaign. Oh, she also kills everyone Dimitri every loves.

7 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

I am pretty sure she kills almost everyone important in all other houses and most of the Kos except Claude, Marrianne, and those not recruited.

She also conquers everything on her way which causes many indirect deaths, while she did cause a quicker end to the war she still probably killed more in that war than AM where she takes a mostly passive and defensive route in the main campaign. Oh, she also kills everyone Dimitri every loves.

I am uncertain about the exact number of casualties, but I would guess the lesser usage of the daemonic beasts and less influence of the Agarthans would lead to less unnecessary civilian casualties. Most of the people who die in crimson flower are soldiers.

But this is unimportant compared to another question, is Dimitri truly over, wanting to take revenge on Edelgard? To my understanding her past deeds might not matter to him anymore. It might also help that El at this point might show regret over what happened during the war. Would a truly reformed Dimitri accept an apology and decide that they should try to move on the best they can?

There is a reason I selected these particular versions of these characters, Dimitri has come to understand the destructive nature of vengeance and Edelgard has no reason to want him dead if he has no desire to kill her anymore. 

And yes, I do believe that a post war Edelgard would be burdened by all the bloodshed that happened during the war, and possibly have some remorse, even if she still maintains it might have been necessary (she even seem bothered by it during the war in crimson flower). Do you think that seeing Edelgard's empire, which she sacrificed so many to create make Dimitri at least start to understand her perspective?

I don't think Edelgard comes off as very different in the AM route, if at all - her set of ideals and her belief in them are essentially the same. What changes is the inevitable consequence of being on the losing end of the conflict, where she increasingly relies on less-savory methods in a bid to to achieve her end goals. The personal aspect of the TWSITD grudge is lost when Thales is killed, so she still has no reason to not collaborate with TWSITD during the war. She would also still think Dimitri's take on the "strong leading the weak" is a bunch of horsecrap and be willing to die for her vision of Fodlan, seeing the continuation of the Church and the Crest system as irreconcilable with her own existence. The only way it doesn't end in Edelgard trying to kill Dimitri until her last breath is through Byleth, and you can't have them tangibly intervene in this hypothetical scenario.

On the other hand, I think AM Dimitri would be a lot more compromising towards Edelgard in the CF route. Although they would still disagree in how Fodlan should be ruled, Dimitri's hobo life and lack of vengeful streak could open the path towards mutual understanding without either of them dying. Rhea would get in the way of them meeting, though - given that Dimitri reaches out to Edelgard in AM but Edelgard doesn't bother with it in CF. Which I'm not sure whether it had to do with the logistics of it, whether Rhea would prevent it or whether Edelgard thought talking with Dimitri was fruitless. It bothers me that the meeting, even as a topic, is never explored in CF but it may have been for a reason.

16 minutes ago, NolanBaumgartner said:

I don't think Edelgard comes off as very different in the AM route, if at all - her set of ideals and her belief in them are essentially the same. What changes is the inevitable consequence of being on the losing end of the conflict, where she increasingly relies on less-savory methods in a bid to to achieve her end goals. The personal aspect of the TWSITD grudge is lost when Thales is killed, so she still has no reason to not collaborate with TWSITD during the war. She would also still think Dimitri's take on the "strong leading the weak" is a bunch of horsecrap and be willing to die for her vision of Fodlan, seeing the continuation of the Church and the Crest system as irreconcilable with her own existence. The only way it doesn't end in Edelgard trying to kill Dimitri until her last breath is through Byleth, and you can't have them tangibly intervene in this hypothetical scenario.

On the other hand, I think AM Dimitri would be a lot more compromising towards Edelgard in the CF route. Although they would still disagree in how Fodlan should be ruled, Dimitri's hobo life and lack of vengeful streak could open the path towards mutual understanding without either of them dying. Rhea would get in the way of them meeting, though - given that Dimitri reaches out to Edelgard in AM but Edelgard doesn't bother with it in CF. Which I'm not sure whether it had to do with the logistics of it, whether Rhea would prevent it or whether Edelgard thought talking with Dimitri was fruitless. It bothers me that the meeting, even as a topic, is never explored in CF but it may have been for a reason.

I think that Edelgard mostly just kill Dimitri in crimson flower because he still professed a desire to kill her, Edelgard clearly doesn't have a problem sparing an opponent. She doesn't think will cause further trouble, as was the case with Claude. So I think a version of Dimitri that didn't still insist on his promise to kill her, might have also had a chance to be spared. 

One of the things I haven't got them entirely clear about Edelgard is exactly how she differs on the strong leading the weak topic. It doesn't seem consistent with her behaviour in crimson flower for her to downright despise the weak. Could be connected to her view of faith which is radically different between the two route. That is one way that CF is different from AM Edelgard, crimson flower Edelgard does tolerate personal faith and even kept around of a reformed church under Empire supervision. With Byleth, she just seems less radical in general

8 hours ago, Deathcon said:

No Dukedom in CF, so far less civilian casualties. 

Claude states that the Alliance is mostly intact, and Edelgard also spares Derdriu because she has no intention of harming civilians. 

So no, CF is the least bloody path in the routes.

12 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

Meanwhile, both Byleths are having tea somewhere.

"This heartbeat thing is great you should try it sometime!"  😛

11 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

Cue explanation that Rhea was the one who set the kingdom capital on fire, hopefully Dimitri would actually believe that, but they were a lot of witnesses and some of those people who would be close to Dimitri in his timeline, like Byleth. I don't think it would be without drama, but I do think it is likely that Edelgard and immediately secretly misses each other, or at least have fond memories of their time together in the kingdom of Faerghus. The Agarthans not being dead in Azure Moon would definitely be a problem for Edelgard, but her presence in that world could lead to a chain of events of actually taking care of the problem

"So you're telling me the church set the capital on fire, my trusted lieutenant turned himself into a monster, and you killed the rest of my classmates because it was war or something."
"I didn't have to deal with a stupid rehash of Gronder Field."
"If I didn't know any better, I'd say someone wrote that in just for irony's sake."
"Whoever's in charge of the writing sucks.  We should take them out."

And that's how Fodlan used Slithers technology in a doomed effort to invade our world.

Edited by eclipse

9 minutes ago, eclipse said:

"This heartbeat thing is great you should try it sometime!"  😛

"So you're telling me the church set the capital on fire, my trusted lieutenant turned himself into a monster, and you killed the rest of my classmates because it was war or something."
"I didn't have to deal with a stupid rehash of Gronder Field."
"If I didn't know any better, I'd say someone wrote that in just for irony's sake."

And that's how Fodlan used Slithers technology in a doomed effort to invade our world.

Let's face it, our world sucks worse. We have global warming. 

I still think Rhea banning the use of oil was the most legit one, especially since it had nothing to do with the Church.

3 minutes ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

I honestly get the feeling Edelgard might regret calling Dimitri a “King of Delusion” right before she killed him. Having to face that with Dimitri in person is probably gonna be hard for her.

Edelgard letting CF Dimitri die forever thinking her as a monster was already gut wrenching for her. 

-

Honestly, let's be real here. Both of them would feel VERY awkward with one another, not sure how to talk now that they accomplished their own goals. 

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

Honestly, let's be real here. Both of them would feel VERY awkward with one another, not sure how to talk now that they accomplished their own goals. 

Agreed.

Wonder what Dedue and Hubert would think of each other?

Just now, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

Probably over drinks. Hubert with his coffee, and Dedue with, like, cinnamon tea or something.

Yeah. 

Hubert: So how did the King of Delusion ever come to his senses? 

Dedue: A girl called Fleche tried to kill Dimitri for revenge, then Rodrigue died protecting Dimitri, and the Dimitri held hands with the Professor.

Hubert: Sounds weird and incredibly rushed. 

Dedue: At least Dimitri didn't turn himself into a Demomic Beast.

Hubert: You turned your soldiers into beasts though. Luckily we beat you before you turned into one. 

Dedue: Thanks, I guess.

1 hour ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

I honestly get the feeling Edelgard might regret calling Dimitri a “King of Delusion” right before she killed him. Having to face that with Dimitri in person is probably gonna be hard for her.

Well, in this case he is the King of Delusion no longer. It will be hard for her, but Edelgard would be granted a unique opportunity to smooth things over and make things right with him. Things might be awkward for a while but I think they would both appcriciate getting this opportunity that neither of them thought they would have.

1 hour ago, Quillmonger said:

I mean do you mean last few chapters Dimitri or the Emo 'Crawling in My Skin' Dimitri? 

Last couple of chapters Dimitri. The other one would be even worse than the crimson flower counterpart

15 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

The Agarthans not being dead in Azure Moon would definitely be a problem for Edelgard

Except Hapi was literally introduced to show that the Agarthans are taken care of in all routes. Dimitri would likely know who they are due to that.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

Pretty much Three Houses in a nutshell.

Also, who knows. This might happen with the CYL versions of them in Fire Emblem Heroes, assuming that they get a Forging Bonds together and whatnot.

Edited by MrPerson0

Just now, MrPerson0 said:

Except Hapi was literally introduced to show that the Agarthans are taken care of in all routes. Dimitri would likely know who they are due to that.

Taken care of in the most vague sense of the term. Edelgard would worry that Dimitri only suppressed them, not destroy them entirely.