How necessary is the restricted movement of Pale Flower of Darkness to the map design?

404kain

Hey all, does anyone know how important the snow that restricts unit movement in Pale Flower of Darkness is? Like, if the movement penalty was removed, would it mess with the map design or enemy placement at all?

image.png.badadd597508bdce008c19e9e3ce1fe5.png image.png.adbff10bdd691c3bc611b88c5afb8c00.png

Edited by 404kain

You'd be able to cover the map faster, so the recruitment conditions for Karel rather than Harken might be a bit easier. I can even see Harken requiring a bit of slowing down and dawdling to recruit, but it'd take playtesting to know for sure.

Honestly, I think getting rid of the weather would be an improvement, given all it does is slow everything to a crawl. Which I find especially infuriating in Kenneth's version, given that you have two long-range magic users to deal with.

In Jerme's map, I don't mind that much, but yeah, it is annoying. I would have liked this map a fair amount without the weather or requirements for Harken. Just make different conditions, such as if Guy has more levels than Isadora, Karel shows up, and vice versa Harken shows up. If either or both are dead, Karel could show up by default because he's actually recruitable.

Oh boy... Kenneth's map is one of the reasons I hate FE7. It's literally just stand around until the three siege-tome users run out of uses, then use your two spaces of moement to move towards Kenneth with no enemies standing between you. Although this map would still be bad without the restricted movement, but the weather makes it horrible and uncessarily long for a map with about eight enemies on it. If they make a remake of FE7 and there's something similar to these maps, I'd remove the weather and add different conditions for recruiting Karel/Harken. I'd also add a reason to make the player NOT turtle, because this map has basically the option of turtling or turtling. 

Edited by Benice