How did the infamous "McCartney" get his name?

So I've been thinking lately about old jokes and urban legends surrounding FE8, the most memorable to me was the idea that you can recruit the Brigand with the inexplicable portrait and Thunder affinity in Chapter 5, and that he'd end up a Bard, for some reason. The fans always dubbed this guy "McCartney", but I have no idea where the idea to name him that came from. There are a few musicians with the surname "McCartney", which kind of ties in with him being portrayed as a Bard, but that's only conjecture on my part.

Was McCartney just a name picked at random for the dude? Does anybody here remember the story behind him coming to be called that, if any such story exists?

I think that's because the person who "started" it used the name.

This is what started it all, I believe. Simply put, I think it was either to make a joke or showcase hacking (this is from 2006, mind). Likely McCartney was chosen since the person thought to make him a bard for the video. Now why a bard? I don't know.

The person is still active, since the last video on the Youtube channel is from four months ago. Perhaps you can ask?

---

Man, this takes me back. Although I think the only time I knew of the McCartney meme was in Binks Emblem, since he was a "proper" character in there. lol

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Yeah, I remember seeing that video actually! I suppose I was wondering if any knowledge of where the "McCartney" name came from starting from even further back exists, but I understand it may just not be known.

The impression I get, and this is just conjecture, is that he was made a Bard in that video because Nils' Bard class was known to exist unused in FE8 by that point, and the person felt that combining a mysterious enemy character with an unused class would be extra cool, or something along those lines. I can't be sure what was going on in their head, though, of course.

@Acacia Sgt beat me to it.

5 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

Yeah, I remember seeing that video actually! I suppose I was wondering if any knowledge of where the "McCartney" name came from starting from even further back exists, but I understand it may just not be known.

The impression I get, and this is just conjecture, is that he was made a Bard in that video because Nils' Bard class was known to exist unused in FE8 by that point, and the person felt that combining a mysterious enemy character with an unused class would be extra cool, or something along those lines. I can't be sure what was going on in their head, though, of course.

I believe there were jokes about recruiting a bard named McCartney even before the video, with the creator of that video combining it with the bandit with Thunder Affinity. I could be slightly off though?

A LPer also suggested Clarence for Random Bandit with Thunder Affinity, but it seems Mccartney stuck.