Possibly unpopular or unconventional ships

EK6Gq2MW4AIejlL.jpg

Not going to lie, I really love pairing Edelgard and Dimitri, probably my favourite ship with Edelgard after both versions of Byleth. I don't know if this is a controversial opinion or not, but given their role in the game, I would have expected Dimitri and Edelgard romantic art to be more prevalent. 

I think what makes this pairing appealing to me is because I know it could never be in any of the established timelines. But it is something the both of them might have wanted by one point or another. They are likely Romeo and Juliet type of tragedy if Romeo became convinced that Juliet killed his father and his love turn into absolute hatred, and if Juliet started a war because she got sick of the family feud. 

Dimitri and Edelgard, the pair that could never be.

I have also seen it mentioned in another topic that Byleth and Flayn is controversial for whatever reason, don't really understand why, it isn't really that much different from Byleth and Lysithea except Flayn is likely much older than any non-green haired character in the game.

I also wonder if there is anyone who is shipping Edelgard and Rhea, because that is the most insane pairing I could think of and would be neat just because it is so ironic.

So does anyone else support any pairings of characters that are unconventional or unpopular?

Let's hope that this does not burst out in anything negativ. In case of ships I am just following the mindset of live and let live. 

I personally would really have shipped Mercedes and Caspar. It boggles my mind that they didn't made this an option. I call it unconventional only because they blocked it off. But maybe its not unpopular, because I think if it would have been possible people could have liked it depending on the build.

Manuela and Ferdinand. Ferdinand as the role of a fangirl was pretty funny on this one. But I actually have more ships with him and also like Dorothea + Ferdi and Hilda + Ferdi. Which are done a bit better. Still did have to see it through and kind of liked it. Only the ending was a bit written disappointing. Maybe they did not want people to root for this ship. Still have to test Manuela and Lorence. Maybe this could turn out surprisingly better. (I intend to do in my run now which I take my time with).

Dedue and Shamir. I don't see much mention of this ship so I regard it as not popular. I found them quite fitting because they both appeared to be like 2 sides of a coin. 

Seteth and Leonie. Also don't has much mention. This time I found this fitting because I feel like Seteth is just the type for Leonie. Also their support is about fishing, Flayn certainly would love a step sister like Leonie. 

That being said, about some choices I have I don't know if they are really unpopular. Just not that present. 

11 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Let's hope that this does not burst out in anything negativ. In case of ships I am just following the mindset of live and let live. 

I personally would really have shipped Mercedes and Caspar. It boggles my mind that they didn't made this an option. I call it unconventional only because they blocked it off. But maybe its not unpopular, because I think if it would have been possible people could have liked it depending on the build.

Manuela and Ferdinand. Ferdinand as the role of a fangirl was pretty funny on this one. But I actually have more ships with him and also like Dorothea + Ferdi and Hilda + Ferdi. Which are done a bit better. Still did have to see it through and kind of liked it. Only the ending was a bit written disappointing. Maybe they did not want people to root for this ship. Still have to test Manuela and Lorence. Maybe this could turn out surprisingly better. (I intend to do in my run now which I take my time with).

Dedue and Shamir. I don't see much mention of this ship so I regard it as not popular. I found them quite fitting because they both appeared to be like 2 sides of a coin. 

Seteth and Leonie. Also don't has much mention. This time I found this fitting because I feel like Seteth is just the type for Leonie. Also their support is about fishing, Flayn certainly would love a step sister like Leonie. 

That being said, about some choices I have I don't know if they are really unpopular. Just not that present. 

It is probably fine, in my time on this board. I haven't seen a single discussion turn ugly. 

I am not even entirely sure if Dimitri/Edelgard is even all that unpopular, which is why the topic title includes the word possibly.

After some digging I did uncover that there is apparently Edelgard/Rhea fanfiction. I guess there is always someone who ships two mortal enemies. 

By the way, is there actually an ending for Manuella where she actually ends up with a partner? She seems lonely and I feel bad for the poor woman. Most of the logs I have seen for her she has either had a platonic relationship with someone or has been alone. 

I guess this isn't really a ship, as I don't really see them in a romantic relationship, but I kind of had this head canon with Edelgard adopting Lysithea as a sister. They do seem rather similar in many ways. They went through similar trauma, they both have a reduced lifespan, they are both very dedicated to their work and want to leave a mark on the world before they die. And they both have a love of sweets. I sometimes wonder if it is possible that Lysithea is in fact one of Edelgard's lost siblings.

31 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

By the way, is there actually an ending for Manuella where she actually ends up with a partner? She seems lonely and I feel bad for the poor woman. Most of the logs I have seen for her she has either had a platonic relationship with someone or has been alone. 

That's nice and better this way. 

In case of Ferdinand they end up together, but she still decides to do something on her own and leaves Freddy with the kids behind. xD I mean it can be interpreted that she of course visits them. But does sound a bit strange for her who searches a husband. But maybe it is not strange at all and she just isn't a person who becomes. 

So far Lorence, Seteth and Hanneman are actually good and she does not end up alone there. So I say she has quite a few good one. Even the ending with Dorothea is nice. I also wouldn't mind shipping them. I would love to see the jp backlog though in case they adjusted some things in the west..

About Edelgard and Rhea I can imagine that there is a lot of fanfiction going on. Its just asking for it. I mean why not, some people love to ship archenemies. And there is certainly fine art born out of it. I like them both anyway. 

Lysithea and Edelgard was also one of my more liked supports from Lysithea, while she isn't my character of choice I certainly see that Edelgard and Lysithea have a nice chemistry out of their experience. And to me it always felts like Lysithea is matching to her ideals anyway.

Edited by Stroud

I will never understand shipping Dimitri and Edelgard. I wouldn't shame anyone for it, but their relationship would absolutely 100% be doomed to failure, and I feel like if you like either of them, you wouldn't put them through that heartbreak.

I guess most of my ships would be unpopular just because I generally lean towards straight ships, and I know gay pairings are super popular, seemingly to the point of eclipsing everything else. But the specific one I'll point to is CasparXPetra. A scrappy guy like him should absolutely be with a warrior chick like her, and I like how they learn to overcome their insecurities about their fathers being enemies to get together.

Everyone says Felix's endings outside of AM are cruel to him but I had mine become a dancer with Leonie and baking cakes with Lysithea. He is clearly living the best life in those timelines.

51 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I will never understand shipping Dimitri and Edelgard. I wouldn't shame anyone for it, but their relationship would absolutely 100% be doomed to failure, and I feel like if you like either of them, you wouldn't put them through that heartbreak.

I guess most of my ships would be unpopular just because I generally lean towards straight ships, and I know gay pairings are super popular, seemingly to the point of eclipsing everything else. But the specific one I'll point to is CasparXPetra. A scrappy guy like him should absolutely be with a warrior chick like her, and I like how they learn to overcome their insecurities about their fathers being enemies to get together.

Fair point, I think a factor is that I have been spending some time trying to get into the mindset of Edelgard in an attempt to understand her better, and it seems to me that after the events of Crimson Flower that she might be wishing that things turned out differently with Dimitri. I bet that Dimitri in Azure Moon would also be wondering if things could have turned out differently. I guess you could say that I consider this pairing wish fulfilment for Edelgard and Dimitri in different timelines. If future both would long for but can never be. It adds to the tragic beauty of all of it. 

Caspar and Petra sounds wonderful, think that might be the pairing I got is in my epilogue.

I don't ship Edelgard or Dimitri. Step-siblings are still siblings.

Me? I prefer Claude and Edelgard.

The two flirt in the battlefield during Part 2. Like, wow. 

Plus, their banter is just epic.