Week Five: Who Is Your Favorite Blue Lions Character?

Week Five: Who Is Your Favorite Blue Lions Character?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Week Five: Who is Your Favorite Blue Lions Character?

• Dimitri
    • Mercedes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/2020 at 01:00 AM

9 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

You know, the thing I noticed about the Blue Lions is that they are more defined by their past relationship. Except for Ashe, the rest are connected in some way with one another. 

Dimitri, Sylvain, Felix, and Ingrid are childhood friends, while Dedue is Dimitri's servant. 

Mercedes and Annette are best friends.

Ashe is literally the only odd man out. But while I like there being past relationships, I do feel like there's too much focus on the past that detracts me from it at times.

Well there is the theory that Ashe was at one point in development part of the Golden Deer. This can be seen in the first Three Houses trailer where he is along side Hilda, Lorenz, and Hanneman. He stick out as an exception to all of the Blue Lion cast. Thought that was a good idea to have a different perspective. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jingle Jangle said:

Well there is the theory that Ashe was at one point in development part of the Golden Deer. This can be seen in the first Three Houses trailer where he is along side Hilda, Lorenz, and Hanneman. He stick out as an exception to all of the Blue Lion cast. Thought that was a good idea to have a different perspective. 

Marrianne was in fact suppose to take his place in BL!

24 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Also, no. More people DO follow this chivalric code. It's the case of how people are born and raised to become knights and follow said code. 

But this code is so toxic that they committed genocide. I even question if Rodrigue took part in it.

Then why they side whit Edelgard and Cornelia? The whole point of chivalry is loyalty to your lord. Betrayal is the least chivalric thing you can do. I am not discussing genocide because first, it was not done by knights, it was done by everyone and is a separare issue, and second, because there is actually not much againist it in actual chivalric codes. They enabled and encouraged the crusades.

Gilbert is the same. From a "chivalric" standpoint, he did nothing wrong in Duscur. He did not run, did not surrender, and saved the prince. He could be proud of himself. And yet he is not, he feel guilt and shame despite acting like a true knight. Then he run away from his responsibilities, he lies, he abbandon his prince and his family when they needed him the most. Those are not actions guided by chivalry. Those are actions guided by Survivor Guilt, a mental issue that plague soldiers to this day and always plagued them, no matter wich code they follow. Rodrigue is the only character(barring a BL Ingrid) that actually does follows the tenets of loyalty to the king, the people and the godess.

Now, is very possible that my understanding of Faerghus is wrong because i see the words "Knight" and "Chivalry" and assume a code like those of medieval Europe. Maybe Faerghus is supposed to be more like the spartan way. But otherwise pretty much no one give a fuck about acting like a knight. Wich is a weakness in the system itself, but a different one.

33 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I just don't think that Rodrigue did anything really wrong either. He knew that Dimitri and Felix were going trough hell and so he tried to put on a stoic facade because he tought it would help. I don't think that he did not murn, just that he only did when he was not seen. Is a common think for fathers to think that their role is to keep their cool even in the worst times.

I don't even blame the code for Gilbert. He has a massive case of survivor guilt and i feel that his own issues stem more from that than on some perceived "Honor". Changing your name and leaving your family are as unchivalrich as it can get, and yet he did it.

I understand where both Rodrigue and Felix are coming from. Rodrigue, in his grief, is desperate to find meaning in his son's death. Knowing that he died a knight's death is about all he has left. But when he said that to Felix, who was like 8 or so at the time, what Felix apparently heard was "Your brother dying was a good thing." Felix clearly idolized his brother, and hearing that his job was basically to die would've ruined him.

I'd have more sympathy for Gilbert if it wasn't for the fact that we see him interact with Annette in the supports. She's literally BEGGING him to come home, saying that she and her mother don't blame him for what happened to the king, and she's literally spent years looking for him. But he's all "but muh guilt" and fucks off. He's so busying worrying about his failure as a knight that he completely ignores his failure as a husband and father.

3 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

First time I have heard about it, but that makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's why she doesn't have many personal ties with other students before the game. And why her story is grimmer compared to the GD members.

Sylvain is my least favorite BL and I'm 100% down with catapulting him off the island over Dedue and Ingrid.

What's this stuff about Ashe intending to be in GD and Marianne in BL though? This is the first I've heard of it.

24 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I'd have more sympathy for Gilbert if it wasn't for the fact that we see him interact with Annette in the supports. She's literally BEGGING him to come home, saying that she and her mother don't blame him for what happened to the king, and she's literally spent years looking for him. But he's all "but muh guilt" and fucks off. He's so busying worrying about his failure as a knight that he completely ignores his failure as a husband and father.

Annette is my favourite character and i have pretty much no sympathy for Gilbert. It's just that, as i said before, i think his mental issues does not really stem from him failing as a knight. Him leaving his family is both a failure as an husband and father AND a failure as a knight, while nothing that he did in Duscur is a failure as knight from any objective perspective.

1 hour ago, Deathcon said:

37 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Really? Do we have any source on that?

Even if it isn't true, it makes a degree of sense! I'm glad they put her in the Golden Deer house, though, since her and Mercedes seem like they should start off in different houses because of utility similarity.

Could people please give more votes to Sylvain? Or change theirs to him? Other characters clearly don't need them as badly as he does. And he deserves more too, as I'd said. He can't actually be this hated/disliked.

Though I guess if no one wants to help him before it's too late, then that's that... Good thing SF is only a small portion of the fanbase, I suppose.

Edited by Anacybele

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Could people please give more votes to Sylvain? Or change theirs to him? Other characters clearly don't need them as badly as he does. And he deserves more too, as I'd said. He can't actually be this hated/disliked.

Though I guess if no one wants to help him before it's too late, then that's that... Good thing SF is only a small portion of the fanbase, I suppose.

...dude, come on. Just live with it.

3 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

...dude, come on. Just live with it.

I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Sorry...

If it was your favorite character that was losing and you were really surprised to see that happening, wouldn't you like more votes for that character too?

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If it was your favorite character that was losing and you were really surprised to see that happening, wouldn't you like more votes for that character too?

Someone's favorite character is gonna get eliminated each week.

4 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Someone's favorite character is gonna get eliminated each week.

Yes, I'm aware of this. That's why I was asking for Sylvain votes. I don't want him to get eliminated sooner than I think he should. I never thought he'd win the whole thing, but I didn't think he'd get kicked out in the first round either given how well he's done in TH polls as well as Heroes's CYL.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Yes, I'm aware of this. That's why I was asking for Sylvain votes. I don't want him to get eliminated sooner than I think he should. I never thought he'd win the whole thing, but I didn't think he'd get kicked out in the first round either given how well he's done in TH polls as well as Heroes's CYL.

I don't think your favorite deserves them more than the next favorite, is my point.

1 minute ago, Crysta said:

I don't think your favorite deserves them more than the next favorite, is my point.

I don't understand what you mean, but it doesn't matter to me anyway.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My favourite character is Ingrid, and I entirely expect her to be either the least or second least popular of the Blue Lions overall, and I don't have a problem with that. We're not trying to determine some objective truth about how good the characters are. No result in a poll is going to affect my enjoyment of my favourite characters at all. I'm not going to feel bad jsut because I like an unpopular character, or feel good because I like a popular one. If anything, it's interesting to me to see how different people see things differently. Maybe they don't see the characters the same way I do, maybe their opinions are shaped by their own lived experiences, and so on. Maybe they'll say things about why they like their favourite characters that will make me appreiate them more. Trying to "win" holds no interest to me; trying to learn from the discussions and to see things in a different light does.

And for completeness's sake, here's why I like Ingrid. Partly, it's because I really enjoy using her as a unit. She's probably the most versatile unit in the game (possibly second most, behind Byleth), since she has no skill weaknesses, acceptable growths in both strength and magic, a halfway decent spell list (with both Thoron and Physic), and a few decent combat arts (Frozen Lance and Hexblade). There's not much that she's the absolute best at, but it's really hard to build a bad Ingrid. She'll be at least decent in any class you put her in. This sort of versatility really suits my playstyle, since I prefer to play around and experiment with builds rather than trying to optimise.

Beyond that, I also like Ingrid as a character. I like how, over the course of the game, she manages to change her opinions about the system of nobility within Faerghus and her role within it. To start with, she fully believes that it will be her duty to be married off to someone she likely doesn't even know for the sake of her house, but by the end she's come to realise that she can have her own will and her own ambitions and that putting her house before herself really won't do anyone any good. This is a nice mirror for a lot of the themes within the game, and especially within the Blue Lions. I appreciate her loyalty as a friend to Felix and Sylvain (even at times when they don't necessarily deserve it). I appreciate her willingness to listen to, learn from and take advice from people with more life experience than she has, in her supports with Catherine and Seteth. I empathise with her discomfort with fussing over her appearance. In short, I find her an interesting and nuanced character with a thematically relevant arc.

Ingrid is great. Or at least, I think Ingrid is great. But if other people don't like her, then that's fine too. Won't make me like her any less.

6 minutes ago, lenticular said:

My favourite character is Ingrid, and I entirely expect her to be either the least or second least popular of the Blue Lions overall, and I don't have a problem with that. We're not trying to determine some objective truth about how good the characters are. No result in a poll is going to affect my enjoyment of my favourite characters at all. I'm not going to feel bad jsut because I like an unpopular character, or feel good because I like a popular one. If anything, it's interesting to me to see how different people see things differently. Maybe they don't see the characters the same way I do, maybe their opinions are shaped by their own lived experiences, and so on. Maybe they'll say things about why they like their favourite characters that will make me appreiate them more. Trying to "win" holds no interest to me; trying to learn from the discussions and to see things in a different light does.

And for completeness's sake, here's why I like Ingrid. Partly, it's because I really enjoy using her as a unit. She's probably the most versatile unit in the game (possibly second most, behind Byleth), since she has no skill weaknesses, acceptable growths in both strength and magic, a halfway decent spell list (with both Thoron and Physic), and a few decent combat arts (Frozen Lance and Hexblade). There's not much that she's the absolute best at, but it's really hard to build a bad Ingrid. She'll be at least decent in any class you put her in. This sort of versatility really suits my playstyle, since I prefer to play around and experiment with builds rather than trying to optimise.

Beyond that, I also like Ingrid as a character. I like how, over the course of the game, she manages to change her opinions about the system of nobility within Faerghus and her role within it. To start with, she fully believes that it will be her duty to be married off to someone she likely doesn't even know for the sake of her house, but by the end she's come to realise that she can have her own will and her own ambitions and that putting her house before herself really won't do anyone any good. This is a nice mirror for a lot of the themes within the game, and especially within the Blue Lions. I appreciate her loyalty as a friend to Felix and Sylvain (even at times when they don't necessarily deserve it). I appreciate her willingness to listen to, learn from and take advice from people with more life experience than she has, in her supports with Catherine and Seteth. I empathise with her discomfort with fussing over her appearance. In short, I find her an interesting and nuanced character with a thematically relevant arc.

Ingrid is great. Or at least, I think Ingrid is great. But if other people don't like her, then that's fine too. Won't make me like her any less.

Well, good for you. That's all you. I'm different.

I personally am bothered when other people don't like what I do. Not that I think people have to agree with me all the time, obviously. But it would be nice to be able to share enjoyment of something once in awhile, instead of being left alone all the time. And then there's also the feeling that your tastes might just be poor. I've even been told before that my tastes suck, though this was years ago.

Edited by Anacybele

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But it would be nice to be able to share enjoyment of something once in awhile, instead of being left alone all the time.

Your favorite FE character is Ike, the character who was the very first 1st place CYL winner, and the character who got his Legendary variant distributed for free in Heroes, and the character who has one more than one voting gauntlet in Heroes, and the character who has placed at or near the top in several FE popularity polls. Sylvain placed in the Top 10 male division in CYL this year, and your other favorite, Claude, was a winner. Another of your favorite characters, Ephraim, has been a top placer in numerous polls, including being a CYL winner. Just because someone you like isn't winning one thing one time doesn't mean you're being left alone. You are certainly not wanting for shared enjoyment, you get that in spades; you're simply concentrating on the few times the character you like loses something.

27 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Your favorite FE character is Ike, the character who was the very first 1st place CYL winner, and the character who got his Legendary variant distributed for free in Heroes, and the character who has one more than one voting gauntlet in Heroes, and the character who has placed at or near the top in several FE popularity polls. Sylvain placed in the Top 10 male division in CYL this year, and your other favorite, Claude, was a winner. Another of your favorite characters, Ephraim, has been a top placer in numerous polls, including being a CYL winner. Just because someone you like isn't winning one thing one time doesn't mean you're being left alone. You are certainly not wanting for shared enjoyment, you get that in spades; you're simply concentrating on the few times the character you like loses something.

I've read through this topic. I've gotten...basically a rant via Discord. I must say I agree here, sorry Ana. She's also concentrating on the times Felix is a jerkass, and choosing to hate him because he gets more love in the fandom than Sylvain. She hasn't said this explictly but I can see that's what's going on here. Meanwhile I'm over here liking both Felix and Sylvain. I can like both. Both have their good and bad. Both shine more when shipped, perhaps. I know Felix when paired with Annette is pretty darn good, basically salt and sugar.

All of the lions, and most of the cast of 3H in general, are good characters that I can like to a certain degree.

Shout out to all them peeps who voted for Ingrid.

I agree that’s she’s an underrated character who doesn’t deserve all that unnecessary hate she’s been getting. I really like her as a character.

Plus, I also like Dimitri and Felix but for now, Ingrid has my vote.

7 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Those are some of the few instances where yes, I actually do like something that's popular to some degree. But like I said, few. And Sylvain was still beaten out by nearly every other Blue Lion male too, and Claude is the least popular TH lord. It can also be argued that Eirika is liked more than Ephraim. So even they're unpopular compared to others in their category or group.

6 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I've read through this topic. I've gotten...basically a rant via Discord. I must say I agree here, sorry Ana. She's also concentrating on the times Felix is a jerkass, and choosing to hate him because he gets more love in the fandom than Sylvain. She hasn't said this explictly but I can see that's what's going on here. Meanwhile I'm over here liking both Felix and Sylvain. I can like both. Both have their good and bad. Both shine more when shipped, perhaps. I know Felix when paired with Annette is pretty darn good, basically salt and sugar.

Don't put words in my mouth. I NEVER said I hate Felix because he gets more love. I've disliked him since before I knew how liked he actually was. I'm not "concentrating" either, all I ever can see in Felix's supports is him being an unnecessary asshole. I tried to find good moments for him, but did not succeed.

I have to ask again, Sylvain needs more votes, people. Please give him some.

Edited by Anacybele