Thracia: Best use of Knight Proofs?

Fraven Pooth

I am playing on Elite Mode for my first playthrough. I have read that Proofs are pretty limited due to the fatigue system, so I want to make the best use of them. I know not to give on to Lara, and I'm more or less turtleing so I won't give one to Safy, but beyond that I don't really know.

Also, I usually just give the early ones to whoever hits level 20 first, but with the stat caps in this game I'm thinking some units need promotion more than others. Brighton will get one as soon as he hits level 20, but its ones like Machua, Fergus, and Lithis that I'm unsure about.

Ill share some screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/nrqhV3Y

EDIT: Whoops, meant to say, I'm at the end of chapter 7. I have both proofs so far, and I will get another next chapter.

Edited by AyraXLex

Proofs are not that limited. There's 14 you get naturally in any given playthrough, and there's an endgame vendor that sells them. Starting from chapter 7, you get one nearly every chapter.

That said, there's really no wrong choices you can make on who to promote. Asbel should be promoted ASAP, because his class has insane promotion bonuses and are bar-none the best class in the game. Fergus should definitely get it before Brighton, since his Sword rank makes him better in indoor maps, and you'll be hitting one soon, supposing Dagda and Tanya lived. Machua is a solid choice, since she also has a good promotion. Karin, as a flier, is also always a good choice.

You also get two very good candidates for Knight Proofs in chapter 8.

PS: Don't worry about hitting level 20. The way stats work in Thracia makes it pretty unnecessary, unless you're trying to level someone with awful stats, and promoting by level 15 or even 10 will help you more in the long run.

Edited by Slumber

Early promoting isn't a big deal in Thracia due to the low stat caps. As for who to promote:

Asvel is the first to come to mind, with magic being the best way of dealing with the +10 throne/gate defense boost most bosses get, plus the beastly sage promotion gains.

Promoting Karin before/on chapter 10 can be a good idea so she can get the extra move to move from outside a ballistae's range to inside it, plus if you were lucky enough to get a movement levelup on her there she can far more safely get some loot from that chapter which is otherwise very risky or RNG reliant to get.

Fergus is an excellent unit with a very high PCC and isn't hampered by being forced to use swords on indoor maps

Usually I would advise against promoting Lithis, as Pahn usually makes him obsolete, but you have grinded his level up enough that he has a bit more Con than Pahn, so it might actually be useful, but I wouldn't prioritize promoting him before a few solid combat units.

5 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

As soon as possible.

Asbel should always promote first because he's the most essential unit in a casual run for being the bosskiller.

Karin also would benefit because of movement gain to work better against ballistae.

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Early promoting isn't a big deal in Thracia due to the low stat caps. As for who to promote:

Asvel is the first to come to mind, with magic being the best way of dealing with the +10 throne/gate defense boost most bosses get, plus the beastly sage promotion gains.

Promoting Karin before/on chapter 10 can be a good idea so she can get the extra move to move from outside a ballistae's range to inside it, plus if you were lucky enough to get a movement levelup on her there she can far more safely get some loot from that chapter which is otherwise very risky or RNG reliant to get.

Fergus is an excellent unit with a very high PCC and isn't hampered by being forced to use swords on indoor maps

Usually I would advise against promoting Lithis, as Pahn usually makes him obsolete, but you have grinded his level up enough that he has a bit more Con than Pahn, so it might actually be useful, but I wouldn't prioritize promoting him before a few solid combat units.

I was hoping Asbel could get by for 2 more levels, I grinded the arena (probably too much), and he has plenty of uses left on Grafcalibur. I added his updated stats. He would insta-cap Magic and Skill (speed already maxed), and go from 7->8 movement... I'm just not sure he even needs it right away at this point.

Karin actually did get movement from a level up, and she's already level 18 so she will promote soon either way.

Fergus hit level 20 and is promoted.. arena abuse again.

I'm guessing the reasons for not promoting Lithis would be: he is inferior in combat, he normally won't see combat, and other units need promotion more. I'll hold off and if i have enough later on then I will give him one.

I should be able to get both in this chapter (8), leaving me with 3 proofs between Brighton (lv19), Asbel (18), Karin (18), Fin (17), and Machua (17) until chapter 10. I guess it should be fine to promote those folks in the order listed, since Fatigue has now come into effect.

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

I promote all of them ASAP. Don't worry about their stats, enemies are too weak it doesn't really matter all that much. Asvel of course is the best candidate for first Knight Proof, since +6 to mag, skl and spd is pretty much insta-win(also because your Asvel will cap Magic and Skill upon it regardless). I also suggest give your second Knight Proof to Finn so he can capture ch8 boss easily. Don't worry about Knight Proofs all that much. As mentioned before there are 14 free Knight Proofs in the game and you can get them almost in every chapter starting with chapter 7.  Fatigue is not a big deal(unless you're doing your job reeeeally slow), since even your unpromoted units can deal with enemies with ease. Also, all healers(except Troubadours) will get +1 staff rank upon promotion, so keep that in mind.
As for units that you have on your hands: promote Asvel, Finn, Karin(+leg ring or Mov level up is one-love). I don't recommend you to promote Brighton(he's pretty mediocre) unless you really want to use him. Machua is a good candidate for Proof as well, but there are better units than her, so unless you really want to use her don't bother with it.