Stats for a Level 1 unit?

OdysseyNeptune

Hello. I am working on a Fire Emblem roleplay that works very similar to the games. The only problem I have is that the players have their stats randomized, by using their class base stats. (Example: There is a Mage. To determine his stats, I use an RNG. For example, I look for the Mage's class base stats. I take the lowest and highest in each and use an RNG to randomize a result between these two numbers)
However, I realized only generic, weak enemies use class base stats, so I decided to increase their stats. The only problem is... How high should they be? Should I, for example, set all Mages to the same base stats? Or should I vary? I'm having trouble with this because I can't find, for example, a Level 1 Dark Mage (we got a Dark Mage as well). I don't want for them to end up incredibly weak or incredibly strong, but still.

This definitely doesn't belong here.  I'm gonna kick it to the roleplaying section, and if the guy who's in charge of it thinks it belongs elsewhere, he can move it himself!

1 hour ago, OdysseyNeptune said:

Hello. I am working on a Fire Emblem roleplay that works very similar to the games. The only problem I have is that the players have their stats randomized, by using their class base stats. (Example: There is a Mage. To determine his stats, I use an RNG. For example, I look for the Mage's class base stats. I take the lowest and highest in each and use an RNG to randomize a result between these two numbers)
However, I realized only generic, weak enemies use class base stats, so I decided to increase their stats. The only problem is... How high should they be? Should I, for example, set all Mages to the same base stats? Or should I vary? I'm having trouble with this because I can't find, for example, a Level 1 Dark Mage (we got a Dark Mage as well). I don't want for them to end up incredibly weak or incredibly strong, but still.

I'd say uniform within the class, more or less. Perhaps have three mage Layouts; one that is slightly faster but lower magic, one that is well-balanced and one that is slower but more powerful. Those are just examples, but it's what I usually do for things like this. 

Oh. I mean, if I use the class base stats, they will end up quite weak. I was thinking on using Erk's stats and growths, but I didn't really know if those were good. Then, I will modify the class base stats. Also, should I use a specific game's base stats? I ended up using an RNG between the alltime lowest and highest in each stat.
Edit: I'm using maps inspired (kinda) by FE7, so maybe I should use those? However, Shaman was  replaced by Dark Mage and there's some other classes not present in FE7 (Such as the Freelancer)

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

3 hours ago, OdysseyNeptune said:

Oh. I mean, if I use the class base stats, they will end up quite weak. I was thinking on using Erk's stats and growths, but I didn't really know if those were good. Then, I will modify the class base stats. Also, should I use a specific game's base stats? I ended up using an RNG between the alltime lowest and highest in each stat.
Edit: I'm using maps inspired (kinda) by FE7, so maybe I should use those? However, Shaman was  replaced by Dark Mage and there's some other classes not present in FE7 (Such as the Freelancer)

You can modify the generic enemy growth rates too. That's probably the best way.

(I.E giving a mage 50% speed growth to maoe it painfully fast.)

Well yes, but remember; I'm talking about player units. (This includes non-blue units that are controlled by players; one picked to be in the "red team" but can be recruitable, whilst another starts as a neutral unit)

Base stats and growths differ wildly across the games and characters. What stats will work also depends on how you will be calculating combat, which also changes between titles. To know how high or low numbers have to be you need to know the context of how they're used.

I could let you know the stats and calculations I use for my FExD&D system, but I have no clue if that would help or hurt your system.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, OdysseyNeptune said:

Also, should I use a specific game's base stats?

Forgive me if I misunderstood you here. Are you saying that, for a mage, each stat will randomly be between their highest base stat and their lowest base stat?

I'm concerned because what counts as a "good base" varies by stat, with HP being an obvious example. You also have classes like myrmidon, which have much higher speed bases than other classes have bases in just about any non-HP stat.

@whase I use the normal dmg "formula" for most FE games.
@AnonymousSpeed yes. For example, let's talk about Dark Mages. Dark Mages have had their lowest Magic base in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem, with a base of 2. Their highest Magic base was in Three Houses and Genealogy, being 10. So, for the Magic base stat of a player Dark Mage, I use an RNG to get a random number between 2 and 10.

37 minutes ago, OdysseyNeptune said:

@AnonymousSpeed yes. For example, let's talk about Dark Mages. Dark Mages have had their lowest Magic base in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem, with a base of 2. Their highest Magic base was in Three Houses and Genealogy, being 10. So, for the Magic base stat of a player Dark Mage, I use an RNG to get a random number between 2 and 10.

Ah, I see. Something like that sounds fine if random stats if your cup of tea, but I might create your own ranges. Using the games as a base is fine, but mess around with it I guess. There's a pretty massive range of unit quality you could get from that system.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

I mean, yes. We got a Lord with 13 Constitution, for example. But then, there's a Dark Mage with 18 HP, 3 Magic, 2 Skill, 3 Speed, 0 Luck, 4 Def, 5 Res, and 6 Con. I mean, you can get good or bad stats.