FE4 Remake request: Don't balance the game!

Hanes

9 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Its actually super easy to make FE4 generals good as I mentioned previously. Even in the base game, Generals are extremely formidable units when movement is overlooked unlike Echoes. Hannibal does a great job holding the line against the wyvern forces in chapter 9.

I completely agree. It's just because of Arden being left behind that he falls behind a little faster than the rest. That's why if the game had more moments like the dragons in chapter nine or Pamela Attacking the northern castle in chapter 4, Arden and Hannibal would leave a greater impression. Don't get me wrong, i love both units and try to use them as much as possible (since every unit is a net game), i just think they need a few more "hey, check this out moments" that are taylored just for them.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

You use player Dread Fighters, FalcoKnights, or Gold Knights to take out enemy Dread Fighters as they have enough speed to double attack and can actually reach Dread Fighters.

Because charging in like Scrappy Doo against an enemy that's likely doubling everything you have is a good strategy that's likely to end well, right? Oh wait, no it's not. Enemy Dread Fighters have anywhere from 18 to 23 speed. The only units I can count on to get near that speed are Dread Fighters. And then there's Grieth, where none of these are even remotely viable options without a boatload of grinding. 

On 3/13/2020 at 8:00 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

The game just tosses random encounters at you, of course we're going to mention it.

It's still a choice in that game, as opposed to in Sacred Stones, where you were forced to fight the moment you ran into a monster-occupied space (also, random fights were far less viable on harder difficulties due to throwing enemies with stronger weapons at you even in the early chapters; in particular, fighting Risen on the world map is virtually unviable on Lunatic).

That applies to almost every Fire Emblem game, with others like Shadows Of Valentia being even worse. What I don't understand is your claims claims that the powerful items Arden and Hannibal get, as well as their automatic participation, is irrelevant.

Hannibal nets the extremely powerful Berserk staff with Sharlow. The Berserk staff is so powerful, it is considered a major reason for leaving Sylvia unpaired in generation 1. Recruiting him in addition to giving you another way  to get gold from the arena, also allows Corpul/Sharlow to get +3 HP and 100 love points with your their unit.

Because anyone can fight in the arena. The problem is that like was stated earlier, some of the less fortunate units are limited in how far they can go (like axe users, who are royally screwed the moment they see a sword user).

Which has only one use, and is very expensive to repair. And for it to do anything noteworthy requires luck, and lots of it. I'd much rather have Lene inherit the Knight Ring (and possibly the Leg Ring to go with that), thank you very much.

The game just tosses random encounters at you, of course we're going to mention it.

And this matters why???

That kinda ignores that Berserkers generally have more HP. Anyway, even in the games where snipers have a better defense cap than berserkers (which by my count is just the GBA games and Awakening), it's fluff because they shouldn't be on the frontlines anyway.

14 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Echoes Barons are easily far worse then FE4 Generals.

Armors feel much more crippled in Echoes as they have no advantages whatsoever. 

I'd argue General Arden and Hannibal are fun to play, especially as it means having Pavise on your side and being able to use the full weapon triangle+bows.

Its actually super easy to make FE4 generals good as I mentioned previously. Even in the base game, Generals are extremely formidable units when movement is overlooked unlike Echoes. Hannibal does a great job holding the line against the wyvern forces in chapter 9.

The way genealogy work, you have turns of nothing even moving at cavalry pace, let alone at general pace. In echoes uou can move slowly and still have some action every turn wich is why you can use armor knights. Trying to use armors in genealogy mean getting 3-4 exstra turns of walking simulator every map.

Even if we got a baron whit all capped stats and 5 great skills, he would retain this crippling problem. 

12 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The way genealogy work, you have turns of nothing even moving at cavalry pace, let alone at general pace.

Usually there's only one or two turns that go on without combat (which I don't really mind but a lot of people do) and even then there's something going on somewhere else. For example Dew is fighting off brigands or some villages are being burned down.

15 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Using a fork isn't class utility either, at least FE4 Generals have the OP great shield and a whopping four weapons to choose for.

You only get TWO forks which isn't even enough for the three Armors you get in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. There isn't enough to transfer someone to Baron and back.

Barons merely have 5 more defense then Gold Knights in exchange for a giant EIGHT less speed in addition to low resistance in a game where resistance never goes up unless you are Conrad.

Echoes Barons are easily far worse then FE4 Generals.

Armors feel much more crippled in Echoes as they have no advantages whatsoever. 

I'd argue General Arden and Hannibal are fun to play, especially as it means having Pavise on your side and being able to use the full weapon triangle+bows.

What the hell, man. I don't see how you can insist that armors are better in Genealogy of the Holy War - which is probably THE most move-centric title in the Fire Emblem series (after all, a common fan nickname for it is "Horse Emblem" for obvious reasons) - than in Shadows of Valentia. I mean, if even cavalry take several turns to reach enemies, then having to wait for Arden or Hannibal to get to the frontlines is going to slow things down to a crawl. Even fucking Binding Blade was better to armors - and that game has much of the same issues plaguing them.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

So.... uh.... why did we start arguing about Awakening and FE4 Generals again?

I missed the awakening part. But FE4 generals I think are an interesting topic of discussion. Wether they get buffed or not doesn’t really bother me, although I think something needs to be done to make Arden shine a little more. I hope Arden, as well as other units, get more conversations with each other on and off the battle field as well as more events like Arden finding the ring. 

9 minutes ago, Stephano said:

I missed the awakening part. But FE4 generals I think are an interesting topic of discussion. Wether they get buffed or not doesn’t really bother me, although I think something needs to be done to make Arden shine a little more. I hope Arden, as well as other units, get more conversations with each other on and off the battle field as well as more events like Arden finding the ring. 

I mean I'm fine with as many secret events that give you OP items as there were in FE4, continue to be the same amount in its remake.

Though Arden definitely should get some skills to help him out, Pavise to pass down would be really cool, but something like Nihil or Accost wuld be cool too.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:22 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

You only get TWO forks which isn't even enough for the three Armors you get in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. There isn't enough to transfer someone to Baron and back.

You get 3 of them from the Mila's Bounty free DLC. (https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/downloadable-content/)

The idea is that you (optionally) promote Lukas/Forsyth to Knight, then take those strong promoted bases, switch over to Mercenary, and never go back. This gives them very high Str+Def, which is really all that a Dread Fighter needs to shred the game in half. Even promoting to Knight isn't all that necessary.

But nobody should be returning to an Armored class. They should be Forking over from a faster class, if at all, to avoid using up two Pitchforks where one does the same thing. Even the five villagers can do this to swipe Knight bases and only use up one Pitchfork.

So even if armored classes are basically useless in SoV, they can be used for their minimum stats - in 3H as well to a lesser extent.

Edited by AyraXLex
Class names

10 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I mean I'm fine with as many secret events that give you OP items as there were in FE4, continue to be the same amount in its remake.

Though Arden definitely should get some skills to help him out, Pavise to pass down would be really cool, but something like Nihil or Accost wuld be cool too.

In the original FE4, isn't Nihil pretty much useless? How many units crits can it actually block? Also, please no pavise, that skill makes me sick with how obnoxious it is. :wacko: 

The ghosts of FE4 inflation still haunt me with the pavise spam on every unit/class.

Edited by lightcosmo

On 3/15/2020 at 8:19 AM, Stephano said:

I completely agree. It's just because of Arden being left behind that he falls behind a little faster than the rest. That's why if the game had more moments like the dragons in chapter nine or Pamela Attacking the northern castle in chapter 4, Arden and Hannibal would leave a greater impression. Don't get me wrong, i love both units and try to use them as much as possible (since every unit is a net game), i just think they need a few more "hey, check this out moments" that are taylored just for them.

That's bull. Even if I did subscribe to that logic, which I don't, it doesn't change the fact that some units are still more useful than others. A level 1 foot healer past the halfway point of the game (or to be more accurate, the second generation) doesn't exactly scream "I'm worth using!", nor does an armored unit in this game in general. Even if you hypothetically got a baron with the best caps in the game and the ability to use every weapon type, they'd still be rendered nigh useless thanks to being footlocked in a mount-dominated game.

Edited by Shadow Mir

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

In the original FE4, isn't Nihil pretty much useless? How many units crits can it actually block? Also, please no pavise, that skill makes me sick with how obnoxious it is. :wacko: 

The ghosts of FE4 inflation still haunt me with the pavise spam on every unit/class.

Well for example Alec can help you recruit Ayra with Nihil? I think. And like I meant Pavise on Arden, not on regular enemies.

Every inflation hack makes me puke, I hate seeing high numbers for no reason, it makes them lose their value in the context of an FE game.

14 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Well for example Alec can help you recruit Ayra with Nihil? I think. And like I meant Pavise on Arden, not on regular enemies.

Every inflation hack makes me puke, I hate seeing high numbers for no reason, it makes them lose their value in the context of an FE game.

Maybe that's just FE4 inflation, then. It's probably better off that way, though.

Oh, I don't mind the high numbers, but the greatshield blocking is very irritating... every round you fight an enemy.

Edited by lightcosmo

For those saying you don't walk slowly for many turns at a time as FE2 armors, take a look this map.

And note this is Celica's route, so no warp here.

On 3/18/2020 at 2:36 PM, Shadow Mir said:

That's bull. Even if I did subscribe to that logic, which I don't, it doesn't change the fact that some units are still more useful than others. A level 1 foot healer past the halfway point of the game (or to be more accurate, the second generation) doesn't exactly scream "I'm worth using!", nor does an armored unit in this game in general. Even if you hypothetically got a baron with the best caps in the game and the ability to use every weapon type, they'd still be rendered nigh useless thanks to being footlocked in a mount-dominated game.

Haha, no you underestimate the use of staves and magic.

• 1 month later...

Only "numbers" I'd want changed are weapon weight numbers, especially tomes. 

Oh also don't know if it counts as numbers but make great shield less obnoxious. Nothing worse than watching an enemy proc it 2 or 3 times in a row. 

On 3/23/2020 at 2:08 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

For those saying you don't walk slowly for many turns at a time as FE2 armors, take a look this map.

And note this is Celica's route, so no warp here.

And you think this game is any better about it? Also, the only mobile units you have at that point are Palla and Catria.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:08 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

Haha, no you underestimate the use of staves and magic.

No I don't. I like mages and healers - but when you give me one that comes blatantly underleveled past the halfway point of the game (or in this case, the second generation), which Corple (or whatever his English name is) and his substitute do, I have to question why they even exist. It's not like they have some standout niche that warrants digging them out from the hole they start in...

Edited by Shadow Mir