FE4 Remake request: Don't balance the game!

Hanes

22 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Her recruitment you mean? What is not good design about her? That she doesn't benefit from roads?

Her recruitment is exactly what I'm whining about. Short of being clairvoyant or using a guide, odds are she's beelining for your main castle while the unit who recruits her is stuck on the other side of the fucking map. Joy.

Yes they do, that's not entirely bad though. And your infantry serves as bulk. Even though your mounted units are also good, the enemy density is a little high in every batch of enemies so your mounted units may get surrounded, and then your infantry arrives to help if there's any problems with that. And they can also serve as guardposts for the next objective, like in Chapter 3 with the cross knights or it's previous chapter with the Shaman-guy castle or in chapter 7 where Seliph goes to recruit Ares and conquer the castle and your foot units are heading down to Ishtornto get ready to fight.

If my mounted units, who can run away after engaging an enemy unit, are getting surrounded, what the heck do you suppose will happen to my infantry units IF they can arrive in time? This is putting aside the fact that some of the mounted units are 9 move badasses who can kill just by staring hard. 

Well you don't need to have everyone together all the time, if you need to rush go for it! And when things calm down a bit then you can give Ayra and Lex (for example) some time together. I wouldn't say it's an entirely bad system but it's just too slow, if love growth was significantly faster then I'd be ok with it.

Another facet of the love system that I don't like is that I only get vague messages about ONE other unit. Which might not even be the unit I want to marry said unit off to. I seriously hope they get rid of it for something more akin to Fates and Awakening, where I had absolute control over who marries whom, as opposed to having to constantly worry about a unit marry someone who I wasn't planning on them marrying, which can derail my plans.

Well the thing is it's empty movement for some units at different times. Usually, if not always, something is going on atleast one side, be it a burning village or some fighting, etc.

Speaking of which, villages are another poorly designed aspect of the game. Bandits pretty much always start within a few turns of starting to destroy them, if not on top of them to begin with. Chapter 2 is especially egregious in this regard, as bandits immediately start destroying villages in a section of the map you don't even have access to initially.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/8/2020 at 12:30 AM, Deathcon said:

...If that is IS remake then it is a very poor one as it has nothing to do with FE 4 in anyway other then them both being a bit darker than the other games.

Well their are Crests (AKA FE4 Holy Blood), and name connections (Claude, Hilda, Dagdar, Brigid, and Flame Emperor), I haven't beaten the game yet so there could be more connections.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Her recruitment is exactly what I'm whining about. Short of being clairvoyant or using a guide, odds are she's beelining for your main castle while the unit who recruits her is stuck on the other side of the fucking map. Joy.

By that point you can have both Warp and Return staffs (both obtained through Talk convos... which the game itself tells you when they are available). What's so hard to using either on Lewyn? It's only a problem if you've lost both Edain and Ethlin and didn't transfer either staff to Dierdre or something... who then is also currently captured in Agusty. Which isn't a scenario of high calibre to happen. Maybe.

---

Anyway, personally, I do hope any potential remake of the game doesn't change too much. Or give the option to play the classic way or the new way. Or make it choose-able what you want for the playthrough.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Keeping the absolute-highest weapon rank available to full holy blood units is fine IMO.  It's stupid things like having Dew stuck with Iron/magic swords until he promotes, even though he'd appreciate the MT boost of Steel then.

I can agree with this, I just would like it to still feel "special" to the full blooded units. Although, I thought magic swords were pretty useful?

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

If my mounted units, who can run away after engaging an enemy unit, are getting surrounded, what the heck do you suppose will happen to my infantry units IF they can arrive in time? This is putting aside the fact that some of the mounted units are 9 move badasses who can kill just by staring hard. 

Infantry units always have something to do. I think the best use of infantry units are  them being units who attack “second.” What I mean by this is that your mounted units attack and canto away, while your infantry moves ahead. The enemy will then move their units closer to yours and by the next player phase, the infantry will be able to attack and participate. This is pretty much how most of the linear chapter battles happened for me. I didn’t really have a problem with this.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Another facet of the love system that I don't like is that I only get vague messages about ONE other unit. Which might not even be the unit I want to marry said unit off to. I seriously hope they get rid of it for something more akin to Fates and Awakening, where I had absolute control over who marries whom, as opposed to having to constantly worry about a unit marry someone who I wasn't planning on them marrying, which can derail my plans.

Funny, because I found the romance system in 3H to be less controllable than any other game in the series. It became a joke between me and my brother that we wouldn’t know who would end up with who because when you get to a certain point in the game and most conversations have been read, you couldn’t change who was with who. Both my brother and i tried to sway the game for Claude to be with Hilda but in both cases, he ended up with Lorenz. Neither of us felt in control of the system. 
I bring this up because i never had an issue pairing units. If one the units was on a horse, you could just canto back into the person that your trying to marry. And besides, you don’t need to have characters fall in love right away, just them give a turn hear and a turn there and it should happen.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Speaking of which, villages are another poorly designed aspect of the game. Bandits pretty much always start within a few turns of starting to destroy them, if not on top of them to begin with. Chapter 2 is especially egregious in this regard, as bandits immediately start destroying villages in a section of the map you don't even have access to initially.

What’s really funny is that it’s actually better just to have Dew steal the gold from the bandits rather than actually saving the villages. You get more money that way.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, Benice said:

Sadly, the way capitalism works , it's unlikely that buisnesses will sacrifice quantity for quality, since everything's built on the growth model and targeting smaller demographics ain't growing your business too much. It'd be NICE If they did that, though.

I don't know, there are some brands (like Jaguar) which rely on small demographics which are either consistent or produce high profit margins. Not that I expect Fire Emblem will ultimately veer from its current path or anything, but it could stay afloat if it did so. This is the only thing I came here to say but I figure I should pitch in on the other stuff.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Keeping the absolute-highest weapon rank available to full holy blood units is fine IMO.  It's stupid things like having Dew stuck with Iron/magic swords until he promotes, even though he'd appreciate the MT boost of Steel then.

Dew is a thief, his purpose is to steal gold. The fact that he can easily steal and redistribute gold is what makes him (and Patty / Daisy) interesting and useful in a way thieves generally can't be.

Why would you even want to give Dew a steel sword over one of your actual fighting units?

Honestly I'm not a huge FE4 fan but the mounted vs. infantry move problem is over-exaggerated for the aforementioned reasons of 4-person dances, warp staff, etc.

17 minutes ago, Stephano said:

What’s really funny is that it’s actually better just to have Dew steal the gold from the bandits rather than actually saving the villages. You get more money that way.

I tried this in his joining chapter, but he got rekt by the banditos. Are talking about Chapter 2 specifically?

55 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I tried this in his joining chapter, but he got rekt by the banditos. Are talking about Chapter 2 specifically?

Ya, Dew will get rekt in his joining chapter. Chapters after that however, it’s best to have Dew steal from bandits and run off somewhere else and either leave the village to be destroyed or have someone else clean up and get a small amount of gold on top of what Dew Stole. Each one of this burning bandits have 5000 gold. Of course if their is an item in the village, then by all means, save it.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Dew is a thief, his purpose is to steal gold. The fact that he can easily steal and redistribute gold is what makes him (and Patty / Daisy) interesting and useful in a way thieves generally can't be.

Why would you even want to give Dew a steel sword over one of your actual fighting units?

Maybe I need him to deal a bit more damage to something, so that he can set someone else up for the kill.  Y'know, basic FE things?

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Maybe I need him to deal a bit more damage to something, so that he can set someone else up for the kill.  Y'know, basic FE things?

I personally don’t want many if any changes to be made to FE4, but this is actually one of my complaints. While Dew is a VERY good utility unit, he is a completely garbage combat unit. I know it’s supposed to be like this but getting him to promotion is hair pullingly difficult. Same goes with Arden. These units in my opinion need to be buffed.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Honestly I'm not a huge FE4 fan but the mounted vs. infantry move problem is over-exaggerated for the aforementioned reasons of 4-person dances, warp staff, etc.

I think it is actually a pretty big problem if you're playing efficiently, being able to dance foot units often means holding back mounted units, and if your dancer has the Leg+Knight rings, which they usually do, it's generally more useful to dance units who can reach more enemies.

Keep in mind, you can only warp to directly in front of a siezed castle. Warp can help a lagging unit catch up with the rest to some extent, but not until your lord moves off of the tile in front. And even then, they drag behind on the way to the next one.

In almost any other FE, Shanan would be far more useful, but without 1-2, he isn't really worth giving the Leg ring, and he doesn't catch up with the horsies until most of the enemies are gone.

Side note: Dew wants as much gold as possible to pass to other units, so stealing and saving villages is a good idea. Also, you get enough steel (or better) swords that giving Dew one of them (if it were possible) is perfectly reasonable. Holyn!Patty is actually one of the better choices for a Brave Sword in gen 2 as a thief with B swords. He wants his promotion more than anyone in gen 1, bar Laquesis or maybe Azel, and he has a lot of trouble finishing kills with just an iron sword. Since he's such a solid parent with good growths, every level counts - not to mention being able to pass down up to A-swords after promotion.

9 minutes ago, Stephano said:

I know it’s supposed to be like this but getting him to promotion is hair pullingly difficult.

It could be altered so Dew gets more EXP from his thief utilities like stealing money and giving gold.

9 minutes ago, Stephano said:

Same goes with Arden. These units in my opinion need to be buffed.

I wouldn't count on Arden being any better outside of the many fan patches.

23 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

That was more Arden being a joke. People like Hannibal were taken seriously.

I prefer Warrior Jamke as it makes him more like his brothers and upholds his nation's tradition of axe combat.

Baron Hannibal was possible in FE4 binary, that hack I mentioned and it was indeed a helpful promotion, plus a black palette Baron looked cool. Funnily enough Barons contain playable data in both FE4 and FE5. Healing stave armored units are actually significantly more helpful. Sharlow and Corpul could also become one.

Arden became an Iron Knight, a mounted armored class from TearRing Saga used by an Arden look alike.

That reminds me, Axe using Heroes would be nice to add to Genealogy of the Holy war. 

Well, Hannibal does start promoted... must have worked hard, but still useless.

Yeah I've heard about Binary, I really should play it, it look so freaking great ! So many cool things ! That could be put in the remake.
It really puzzles me that they created something so useless, I see it as a design choice from the devs to say "This guy make a good wall for the home castle", because we reaaaaaaaaally need that eh ?...
Well you never know, so I can only guess it's to be sure you don't get surprise-invaded, but still.

45 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

It could be altered so Dew gets more EXP from his thief utilities like stealing money and giving gold.

I wouldn't count on Arden being any better outside of the many fan patches.

Super Thracia Arden called... good grief was this hack bullshit.

Hmm, consider the following, how bullshit would it be for thieves to be able to steal items and/or non-equiped Items ?
I fully expect the remake to have more stuffs like more rings and shields.

Huh, the forge....

1 minute ago, B.Leu said:

Well, Hannibal does start promoted... must have worked hard, but still useless.

Hannibal is actually really good at guarding castles and can easily stomp the Wyvern riders during Areone's three pronged assault in his recruitment chapter. Its just that is the only time a castle guard is ever needed by the player in FE4.

Outside of that, Hannibal comes in too late and loses his leadership stars, as well as his army, though one could argue the latter could steal EXP.

Yeah I've heard about Binary, I really should play it, it look so freaking great ! So many cool things ! That could be put in the remake.
It really puzzles me that they created something so useless, I see it as a design choice from the devs to say "This guy make a good wall for the home castle", because we reaaaaaaaaally need that eh ?...
Well you never know, so I can only guess it's to be sure you don't get surprise-invaded, but still.

Binary is really something. A lot of the additions are really fun. Also one thing I should mention is all armored and mage classes were combined into one, which is nice. A few prepromotes like Quan and Oifey can also promote. Oh and the holy blood is altered so minor holy blood units can wield holy weapons with halved stat bonuses. And the Holy Blood errors with certain enemy units are fixed. Chagall even uses the Mystelain after Eldigan's death.

Alec, Arden and Noish were intended to be mainly useful in the beginning of the game according to an interview with Shouzou Kaga. Even so, I do imagine there was at one point intended to be more then one occasion where the player needed to defend their argue. Still it took till Vestaria Saga for armored units to become truly good in a Kaga game, not that regular FE is any better.

Hmm, consider the following, how bullshit would it be for thieves to be able to steal items and/or non-equiped Items ?
I fully expect the remake to have more stuffs like more rings and shields.

I believe there were enemy thieves in TearRing Saga that could do exactly that.

48 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Basic FE Things =/= Basic FE4 Things

Even discounting that, Genealogy gives you plenty of options to control how much damage you do (given your choice of units who use pursuit, braves, magic, and just hitting once very hard) such that I can't imagine why you would need Dew specifically to weaken enemies.

Nor does giving units more things they can do inherently improve the game. Limitations are also a part of unit design, and by making weapon ranks static, Genealogy has better control of that limitation. It also incentivizes players to consider weapon rank bonuses from holy blood when they pick pairings.

27 minutes ago, AyraXLex said:

I think it is actually a pretty big problem if you're playing efficiently, being able to dance foot units often means holding back mounted units, and if your dancer has the Leg+Knight rings, which they usually do, it's generally more useful to dance units who can reach more enemies.

This is fair enough, I guess I just don't play very efficiently. That said, efficient play usually comes at the expense of "lesser" units and usually that include infantry.

Keep in mind, you can only warp to directly in front of a siezed castle. Warp can help a lagging unit catch up with the rest to some extent, but not until your lord moves off of the tile in front. And even then, they drag behind on the way to the next one.

I think Warp is more useful for times when you double back, heading towards objectives which are closer to a castle you seized earlier in the chapter than the one you've just seized. Combat also slows down movement enough for foot units to be able to contribute- then again, I don't give the leg ring to my dancer.

Side note: Dew wants as much gold as possible to pass to other units, so stealing and saving villages is a good idea. Also, you get enough steel (or better) swords that giving Dew one of them (if it were possible) is perfectly reasonable. Holyn!Patty is actually one of the better choices for a Brave Sword in gen 2 as a thief with B swords. He wants his promotion more than anyone in gen 1, bar Laquesis or maybe Azel, and he has a lot of trouble finishing kills with just an iron sword. Since he's such a solid parent with good growths, every level counts - not to mention being able to pass down up to A-swords after promotion.

I was actually thinking of pairing Bridget and Holyn in my current run, though I was also considering pairing Holyn with Erin and instead pairing Bridget with Lex. I know that pairing mounts with infantry is an objectively bad idea but I already paired Noish and Ayra so clearly I'm too patient. Does Bridget X Holyn receive a heartier endorsement, Ayra X Lex?

The difference between iron and steel is 4 might, which I won't say is useless but it's not so massive. If you want to fight with Dew, I think the free Wind Sword would be a significantly better option. I don't use Dew a lot though so I might differ to you here.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Basic FE Things =/= Basic FE4 Things

Even discounting that, Genealogy gives you plenty of options to control how much damage you do (given your choice of units who use pursuit, braves, magic, and just hitting once very hard) such that I can't imagine why you would need Dew specifically to weaken enemies.

It's one scenario out of many.  And even if FE4 has its weirdness, it's still a FE at heart - which means it's a numbers game.  Sure, a magic sword might do it, but not when it's stuck to someone who's across the map.  Besides, Dew can steal gold and deal chip damage, so I fail to see why him being stuck at C swords is considered good, if a few more points of damage is the difference between feeding a kill or no.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

It's one scenario out of many.  And even if FE4 has its weirdness, it's still a FE at heart - which means it's a numbers game.  Sure, a magic sword might do it, but not when it's stuck to someone who's across the map.  Besides, Dew can steal gold and deal chip damage, so I fail to see why him being stuck at C swords is considered good, if a few more points of damage is the difference between feeding a kill or no.

Thief fighter can be more powerful, but chapter 1 would have to be altered if Dew's base stats were altered too much as he needs to be weak enough not to kill the axe fighters when protecting Edain.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I think there must be some manner of rebalancing. Primarily the dominance of the ponies must come to an end. Them being so much better and easier to use then everyone else discourages the use of a lot of units. 

Holy weapons should remain as they are however. They are supposed to be all powerful, that's why they are legendary weapons. Its gameplay being used to tell a story. Same with everyone's resistance being garbage. Ares and Seliph being the only units with resistance helps make it very clear that magic is special and powerful in Jugdral. 

40 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think there must be some manner of rebalancing. Primarily the dominance of the ponies must come to an end. Them being so much better and easier to use then everyone else discourages the use of a lot of units

I will have to disagree. All of the women in gen 1 are foot units (except of Lachesis after promotion). If you were to only use horses, then your children would either be complete trash because you paired them with under leveled units, or you didn’t pair them at all so you are left with substitutes.

there are TONS of incentives to use your infantry units. They just require some thought on how you can use them. Most of them are pretty easy to use with only a few of them requiring some big brain plays.

41 minutes ago, Stephano said:

I will have to disagree. All of the women in gen 1 are foot units (except of Lachesis after promotion). If you were to only use horses, then your children would either be complete trash because you paired them with under leveled units, or you didn’t pair them at all so you are left with substitutes.

there are TONS of incentives to use your infantry units. They just require some thought on how you can use them. Most of them are pretty easy to use with only a few of them requiring some big brain plays.

But you have a Pegasus Knight?

18 hours ago, Stephano said:

That’s my point. Just because a character doesn’t have pursuit doesn’t mean they are not usable. Even units that have neither such as Jamke and Lewyn excel in some other way. Maybe not in the most important way (movement) but both can still fight and perform some tasks while your mounted units are off doing something else.

And why does it matter that a fire emblem game is balanced. Every fire emblem game can be broken in some way and that’s part of the fun.

And my point is that the best units in Genealogy tend to have a combination of a horse, a holy weapon, and Pursuit. Lacking one of those makes you automatically worse off than those who have them. There's a reason why Arthur is often considered the best inheritor of Forseti (and not Ced, who would have it in canon, if Thracia is any indication). Half of the units you listed have or get a horse, which makes them good by default in a game where movement is king. Jamke and Lewyn, on the other hand, are stuck with foot movement, which is painful when even Sigurd takes several turns to make it to enemies. How good you are in combat doesn't mean a thing when by the time you make it, the fighting's already done. Which isn't helped when the move gap between infantry and foot units eventually grows to 3 - which is the move difference between an armored unit and a mounted unit in most games.

Sure, FE games tend to not be balanced, but Genealogy takes it to a level never seen since, what with the fact that axes are stupidly heavy for no real reason (aside from the aforementioned Hero Axe, all axes are as heavy as the Devil Axe in the GBA games or even heavier), while on the magic side, fire magic is heavy to the point that it arguably loses out to wind instead of beating it. And that's putting aside the fact the arena, for all the praise it gets, ends up being a massive case of "the rich get richer" in practice, because some of the less fortunate units might find themselves unable to clear all the fights. Like Dew, for example. As stated earlier, the moment he runs into an armor in the arena, he's fucked harder than a Dedede player going against Mega Man.

14 hours ago, Stephano said:

Even though the villages might have something other than gold? Also, this implies that he's getting there before some mounted unit can get there and kill the enemy... when he's an infantry unit in THE Horse Emblem game.

Infantry units always have something to do. I think the best use of infantry units are  them being units who attack “second.” What I mean by this is that your mounted units attack and canto away, while your infantry moves ahead. The enemy will then move their units closer to yours and by the next player phase, the infantry will be able to attack and participate. This is pretty much how most of the linear chapter battles happened for me. I didn’t really have a problem with this.

IF they're in range to contribute, and considering how big the maps are, I would say that's a pretty big if.

Funny, because I found the romance system in 3H to be less controllable than any other game in the series. It became a joke between me and my brother that we wouldn’t know who would end up with who because when you get to a certain point in the game and most conversations have been read, you couldn’t change who was with who. Both my brother and i tried to sway the game for Claude to be with Hilda but in both cases, he ended up with Lorenz. Neither of us felt in control of the system. 
I bring this up because i never had an issue pairing units. If one the units was on a horse, you could just canto back into the person that your trying to marry. And besides, you don’t need to have characters fall in love right away, just them give a turn hear and a turn there and it should happen.

I dunno - I felt like I had some control over it. Then again, I didn't bother to get A supports with more than one other person for anyone besides Byleth. Compare to the love system in Genealogy, where I'd have to constantly worry about crap like Lewyn marrying Sylvia instead of Erinys (on paper, Erinys has a higher starting amount of love points, but by the time she's recruited, Sylvia would have overtaken her even if I didn't have her stay adjacent to Lewyn). Besides, who ends up with whom actually has gameplay ramifications in Genealogy, whereas that's not the case in 3 Houses..

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Stephano said:

Because making EdainxMidir, AyraxLex or BeowulfxLachesis and Erynisx require a lot of time and not just a few turns and a talk. And then there are many good pairing between foot units. There are very few pairing that are both top tier and require a foot unit and an horse unit to stay close all the time.

10 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

This is fair enough, I guess I just don't play very efficiently. That said, efficient play usually comes at the expense of "lesser" units and usually that include infantry.

I think Warp is more useful for times when you double back, heading towards objectives which are closer to a castle you seized earlier in the chapter than the one you've just seized. Combat also slows down movement enough for foot units to be able to contribute- then again, I don't give the leg ring to my dancer.

I was actually thinking of pairing Bridget and Holyn in my current run, though I was also considering pairing Holyn with Erin and instead pairing Bridget with Lex. I know that pairing mounts with infantry is an objectively bad idea but I already paired Noish and Ayra so clearly I'm too patient. Does Bridget X Holyn receive a heartier endorsement, Ayra X Lex?

The difference between iron and steel is 4 might, which I won't say is useless but it's not so massive. If you want to fight with Dew, I think the free Wind Sword would be a significantly better option. I don't use Dew a lot though so I might differ to you here.

I'm very far from anything like an LTC player, but being even somewhat familiar with FE4 means that not much will slow down the more powerful mounted units. With full canto, most enemy groups will hardly slow down your core, if at all. Warping/Return'ing back doesn't really help foot units more than mounted ones tbh.

I never mind killing turns up to Turn 50 after a chapter is finished, so any pairing that doesn't involve Fin has never been a problem for me. Having the inheritance you want is more important than any Gen 1 bonuses imo.

I got confused with you using my username haha, i lost the password for my original... But yes, I am a big fan of HolynxBridget because it makes Patty actually usable through Luna and the Brave Sword before promotion, and it fixes Faval's only concern in Skill. Lex makes Faval's accuracy problems even worse, and while they get 2x Exp, Patty will promote faster by actually being able to kill things, IMO. Faval may be underlevelled with other pairings, but it's not really a big deal, thanks to Yewfelle. Faval definitely doesn't need Neir blood, but I can't speak on Patty.

I can't see what there is to get out of HolynxErin* since Fee can't inherit Luna, and she gets A-swords after promotion anyways (not that she uses it). If Levin is already taken or something, Erin's kids like having Claude as a father - the added Luck makes both even more dodgy, and the RES means Fee can assassinate status staves and tank siege tomes with relative impunity. That's on top of the staff rank bonuses that both get. Erin always passes Pursuit, so no worries there.

*This is all from a gameplay perspective

If Ayra hasn't already snatched up Dew, [Noishe, right. Solid choice.] Bridget's kids like him as well. His growths are excellent and Bargain should never be undervalued. Sol and C-sword inheritance for Patty is a minor perk.

The Wind Sword doesn't show up until the end of Chapter 3 unfortunately, and Dew is very hard to promote without grinding. But he is a great unit once promoted (might not be saying much), and is in-demand as a father. So really anything to make him more usable before promotion, i am all for :).

Edited by AyraXLex

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

And my point is that the best units in Genealogy tend to have a combination of a horse, a holy weapon, and Pursuit. Lacking one of those makes you automatically worse off than those who have them. There's a reason why Arthur is often considered the best inheritor of Forseti (and not Ced, who would have it in canon, if Thracia is any indication). Half of the units you listed have or get a horse, which makes them good by default in a game where movement is king. Jamke and Lewyn, on the other hand, are stuck with foot movement, which is painful when even Sigurd takes several turns to make it to enemies. How good you are in combat doesn't mean a thing when by the time you make it, the fighting's already done. Which isn't helped when the move gap between infantry and foot units eventually grows to 3 - which is the move difference between an armored unit and a mounted unit in most games.

I agree, Arthur is the best inheritor for forsetty. I still however don’t see the problem with footlocked units. In all of my playthroughs of the game, I have consistently found a use for all units. I don’t really go that slow either, beating chapters in under 40 turns. 

Sure, FE games tend to not be balanced, but Genealogy takes it to a level never seen since, what with the fact that axes are stupidly heavy for no real reason (aside from the aforementioned Hero Axe, all axes are as heavy as the Devil Axe in the GBA games or even heavier), while on the magic side, fire magic is heavy to the point that it arguably loses out to wind instead of beating it. And that's putting aside the fact the arena, for all the praise it gets, ends up being a massive case of "the rich get richer" in practice, because some of the less fortunate units might find themselves unable to clear all the fights. Like Dew, for example. As stated earlier, the moment he runs into an armor in the arena, he's fucked harder than a Dedede player going against Mega Man.

Dew sucks at combat and I don’t think anyone would say otherwise. It take a lot to get him to promote. But I don’t think FE4 is as imbalanced as you say it is since every character has proven to be able to solo gen 1, even Arden. Every game has broken mechanics and broken characters. FE8 has Seth, Franz, and Vanessa, FE13 has Robin w/ Chrom/Fredrick, FE12 has Kris and Palla, FE7 has Marcus, ect. 

FE4 is a game of the rich get richer, that is true. But what is great about the arena is that you can do it at any castle. Say Alec  can’t complete the arena on chapter 3 at the start. You can play the chapter a little bit, get him one or two levels, have Ayra drop off the hero sword at the shop, and then have Alec get one or two more rounds further in the aren. He may not complete it but it’s more experience then he had before.

Even though the villages might have something other than gold? Also, this implies that he's getting there before some mounted unit can get there and kill the enemy... when he's an infantry unit in THE Horse Emblem game.

If they have something other than gold, then by all means save it. What I’m trying to say is sending Dew to burning villages to get tons of gold from bandits is a really good idea and rewards you more gold than actually visiting it. He doesn’t have to kill the guy, just swipe and run off.

IF they're in range to contribute, and considering how big the maps are, I would say that's a pretty big if.

I’ve never had an issue with this strategy.

dunno - I felt like I had some control over it. Then again, I didn't bother to get A supports with more than one other person for anyone besides Byleth. Compare to the love system in Genealogy, where I'd have to constantly worry about crap like Lewyn marrying Sylvia instead of Erinys (on paper, Erinys has a higher starting amount of love points, but by the time she's recruited, Sylvia would have overtaken her even if I didn't have her stay adjacent to Lewyn). Besides, who ends up with whom actually has gameplay ramifications in Genealogy, whereas that's not the case in 3 Houses..

Why on earth would you ever have to worry about anyone marrying Silvia. She dances for all characters adjacent to her meaning that when you finish your turn, odds are there won’t be anyone next to her. And if you are really worried about people sitting next to each other (for whatever reason) just.... don’t place them next to each other that often. It’s really not that hard. 

Now I want to make it clear that the love system in genealogy is very primitive (not that great) and can be improved. I actually REALLY want it to be improved and have more support conversations between units that happen in the field and in the home castle. I don’t want something like 3H but something inbetween GBA and Echoes. My issue comes from people saying it’s the worst thing ever when it’s actually easy to do. I find pairing in the GBA titles to be much harder

13 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Thief fighter can be more powerful, but chapter 1 would have to be altered if Dew's base stats were altered too much as he needs to be weak enough not to kill the axe fighters when protecting Edain.

"Feeding kills" means that he's chipping harder and stealing gold, so someone else can get the kill.  I don't mind the fact that he's not a bandit-killing machine.  I DO mind that I can't squeeze in a few more points of damage on demand without hogging a magic sword or something.