FE4 Remake request: Don't balance the game!

Hanes

38 minutes ago, Stephano said:

Vanessa

Vanessa isn't all that good though? She' a decent flyer and starts early game, but will easily be inferior to Cormag and especially Tana, and even Syrene can give her a bit of a run for her money.

This may be unpopular, but I want an fe4 remake to have no pursuit necessary to double, far smaller maps, better balance, fire tomes to be balanced, better shpport systems and normal weapon ranks. I get that a lot of people liked OG FE4, (don't know why) but a lot of people disliked it too, and I have said earlier, they probably should go with something more like modern games so more fans join.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Vanessa isn't all that good though? She' a decent flyer and starts early game, but will easily be inferior to Cormag and especially Tana, and even Syrene can give her a bit of a run for her money.

This may be unpopular, but I want an fe4 remake to have no pursuit necessary to double, far smaller maps, better balance, fire tomes to be balanced, better shpport systems and normal weapon ranks. I get that a lot of people liked OG FE4, (don't know why) but a lot of people disliked it too, and I have said earlier, they probably should go with something more like modern games so more fans join.

I think that is the most likely scenario. In my opinion it would be more or less impossible to be truly faithful to the original as well as fix its flaws. And if they do ever remake FE4, I think the only way to make it objectively any better than the original (not just a QoL update), would be to significantly change it. Though FE4 is near and dear to me, so I would prefer basically just a facelift. I think i would be too disappointed otherwise.

I do think the most likely scenario in the case they do remake Geneaology is something like what you suggested.

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

And my point is that the best units in Genealogy tend to have a combination of a horse, a holy weapon, and Pursuit. Lacking one of those makes you automatically worse off than those who have them. There's a reason why Arthur is often considered the best inheritor of Forseti (and not Ced, who would have it in canon, if Thracia is any indication).

Forseti!Arthur lacks pursuit. I do agree that he is the better option between him and Ced though.

3 hours ago, Stephano said:

I agree, Arthur is the best inheritor for forsetty. I still however don’t see the problem with footlocked units. In all of my playthroughs of the game, I have consistently found a use for all units. I don’t really go that slow either, beating chapters in under 40 turns. 

More than 30 turns seems fairly deliberate to me for most chapters.

Why on earth would you ever have to worry about anyone marrying Silvia. She dances for all characters adjacent to her meaning that when you finish your turn, odds are there won’t be anyone next to her. And if you are really worried about people sitting next to each other (for whatever reason) just.... don’t place them next to each other that often. It’s really not that hard.

Sylvia often has the Knight ring, and she wants to keep moving forward as much as possible. Even if she doesn't, if other units are catching up who haven't been danced, or they're in a congested area (seize point). It's easier when you take more time, of course. As long as she doesn't marry the wrong person though, you can just sell her stuff and kill her off at the end of Chapter 5.

On the point of balance, most games don't have such enormous gaps between the quality of units. It's not just that a few characters are extremely powerful, it's that they're many times more useful than the average unit in your army, e.g. the difference between Lewyn and Tailltiu or Aless and Oifey/Delmud. Even comparing Seth (who is the only truly OP unit in FE8) to Kyle or Forde is not the same idea.

4 hours ago, Stephano said:

If they have something other than gold, then by all means save it. What I’m trying to say is sending Dew to burning villages to get tons of gold from bandits is a really good idea and rewards you more gold than actually visiting it. He doesn’t have to kill the guy, just swipe and run off.

And my counterpoint, which you ignored, is that that implies he's getting to that village before the bandit ends up dead by the hand of some mounted unit... which I'm not seeing happen when he's an infantry unit in THE most mount-friendly game in the entire series.

Dew sucks at combat and I don’t think anyone would say otherwise. It take a lot to get him to promote. But I don’t think FE4 is as imbalanced as you say it is since every character has proven to be able to solo gen 1, even Arden. Every game has broken mechanics and broken characters. FE8 has Seth, Franz, and Vanessa, FE13 has Robin w/ Chrom/Fredrick, FE12 has Kris and Palla, FE7 has Marcus, ect. 

So what if Arden can solo gen 1? That doesn't change the fact that mounted units are favored to an obscene degree, and are all the better if they have a holy weapon or Pursuit; of course, the best units have all three. Also, those other games you mentioned are still more balanced than FE4. None of them give me a mounted lord who starts overpowered and stays that way, for starters. And none of them have entire weapon types being practically unusable, either. Not to mention that those other games you mentioned also don't have bigass gaps in terms of unit quality. Sure, most games are gonna have those units that are just better than everyone else, but FE4 takes it to another level - those with a horse, holy weapon or Pursuit end up being much more useful than the average unit in your army. I don't think the gap between, say, PoR Titania and PoR Rolf is as big as the difference in usefulness between Sigurd and Arden. About the only game that I'd say would have a usefulness gap as big is Binding Blade, which, coincidentally, is another title where mounted units are favored up the wazoo.

I agree, Arthur is the best inheritor for forsetty. I still however don’t see the problem with footlocked units. In all of my playthroughs of the game, I have consistently found a use for all units. I don’t really go that slow either, beating chapters in under 40 turns. 

I do when having them see any noteworthy amount of combat outside of the arena requires constantly slowing down so they can catch up.

I’ve never had an issue with this strategy.

See above.

Why on earth would you ever have to worry about anyone marrying Silvia. She dances for all characters adjacent to her meaning that when you finish your turn, odds are there won’t be anyone next to her. And if you are really worried about people sitting next to each other (for whatever reason) just.... don’t place them next to each other that often. It’s really not that hard. 

Now I want to make it clear that the love system in genealogy is very primitive (not that great) and can be improved. I actually REALLY want it to be improved and have more support conversations between units that happen in the field and in the home castle. I don’t want something like 3H but something inbetween GBA and Echoes. My issue comes from people saying it’s the worst thing ever when it’s actually easy to do. I find pairing in the GBA titles to be much harder

Because Sylvia would have the Knight Ring, and probably the Leg Ring as well. Also, to that end, I'd likely want her to marry so that those get passed on to her daughter Lene. (Some people say the substitutes of Sylvia's children are better, but I'm not convinced. Of course, this is neither here nor there)

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, AyraXLex said:

On the point of balance, most games don't have such enormous gaps between the quality of units. It's not just that a few characters are extremely powerful, it's that they're many times more useful than the average unit in your army, e.g. the difference between Lewyn and Tailltiu or Aless and Oifey/Delmud. Even comparing Seth (who is the only truly OP unit in FE8) to Kyle or Forde is not the same idea.

Much of that was intentional according to an interview. Sigurd's starting crew were meant to be overshadowed by people like Quan, Finn, Ayra, and the rest eventually.

13 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

So what if Arden can solo gen 1? That doesn't change the fact that mounted units are favored to an obscene degree, and are all the better if they have a holy weapon or Pursuit; of course, the best units have all three. Also, those other games you mentioned are still more balanced than FE4. None of them give me a mounted lord who starts overpowered and stays that way, for starters. And none of them have entire weapon types being practically unusable, either. Not to mention that those other games you mentioned also don't have bigass gaps in terms of unit quality. Sure, most games are gonna have those units that are just better than everyone else, but FE4 takes it to another level - those with a horse, holy weapon or Pursuit end up being much more useful than the average unit in your army. I don't think the gap between, say, PoR Titania and PoR Rolf is as big as the difference in usefulness between Sigurd and Arden. About the only game that I'd say would have a usefulness gap as big is Binding Blade, which, coincidentally, is another title where mounted units are favored up the wazoo.

Mounted units are ridiculously favored whilst Archers and Armored Knights are ridiculously bad in Awakening as well. Plus given Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, what makes you think IS could properly balance a remake of FE4?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

1 hour ago, AyraXLex said:

More than 30 turns seems fairly deliberate to me for most chapters.

For context, to AAAA FE4, it requires you to spend no more than 34/35 turns per chapter on average. So me going around 40 means I’m going slower than a ranked pace but not so slow for grinding live and what not. 40 was also a bit high which was my bad. The prologue and be completed in around 25-30 turns. I got the 40 number because chapter 2 takes forever to complete.

21 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Because Sylvia would have the Knight Ring, and probably the Leg Ring as well. Also, to that end, I'd likely want her to marry so that those get passed on to her daughter Lene. (Some people say the substitutes of Sylvia's children are better, but I'm not convinced. Of course, this is neither here nor there)

I apologize as I did not word my statement that well. What I meant to say was because Sylvia can dance for 4 people, it is very unlikely she will end up next to someone and someone would have to be deliberately put there. I did not mean to imply she would not get married. I realized it could be misconstrued that way after I posted.

now for her having the leg and knight ring, that is the best way to utilize her. However, I find it a bit difficult to be able to give both rings as Sylvia can’t always get that much money. In the case she has both rings, simply don’t put her next to other units. Put her next to a girl or just leave a space behind a unit. 

26 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:
5 hours ago, Stephano said:

I agree that the Gap between every unit compared to Arden is massive and I’m by no means saying he is a good unit. But to say he is unusable while going at a fast pace is untrue. In order to get the highest rank possible, it requires giving Arden 20 levels and completing the game in 399 turns. It can be done, although it is not easy.

32 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I do when having them see any noteworthy amount of combat outside of the arena requires constantly slowing down so they can catch up.

Just like with Arden, all units must level up 20 times and it’s impossible to get to that level with the arena. Unlike Arden however these units can fight and pick off left over enemies with ease. I understand that during your time playing, you found it difficult to use infantry. You just played a certain way and that’s fine. You clearly got through the game doing so. If you want to go fast and not use infantry, then sure. If you want to spend more time planning that way you can efficiently use everyone, then go ahead. I’m not telling you how to play, but from my time playing the game, I’ve been able to use everyone (except Arden, although my brother did)

4 hours ago, Benice said:

Vanessa isn't all that good though? She' a decent flyer and starts early game, but will easily be inferior to Cormag and especially Tana, and even Syrene can give her a bit of a run for her money

Vanessa joins in chapter 2 and has way more time to grow. While Tana has higher growths than Vanessa (except for skill and res), Tana Joins way underleveled and at the time, very much weaker to Vanessa. In draft runs, people who don’t have Vanessa but have tana have to grind Tana in the tower for her to actually compete in a race. If someone was playing the game without grinding, Tana would never catch up unless she is being fed kills left and right.

although I love Syrene (syrenexgilliam) her bases are not as good as a promoted Vanessa.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Mounted units are ridiculously favored whilst Archers and Armored Knights are ridiculously bad in Awakening as well. Plus given Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, what makes you think IS could properly balance a remake of FE4?

They still don't dominate the way they do in Genealogy - it doesn't take several turns just for my mounts to see the first action of the map, they don't have a 3 move advantage (which is the move difference between mounted units and armors in most other FE games) over infantry, and they don't have Canto. There is also no overpowered mounted lord. Also, what use were armors in Genealogy? Because being good for pair up is likely more useful than that. Also, I don't have faith they could properly balance a FE4 remake, considering they added the weapon triangle to Shadow Dragon, which most likely would've been better off without it. All the same, though, I'd expect that they would know that nowadays, they wouldn't be able to get away with most of the stuff they got away with back then.

40 minutes ago, Stephano said:

I agree that the Gap between every unit compared to Arden is massive and I’m by no means saying he is a good unit. But to say he is unusable while going at a fast pace is untrue. In order to get the highest rank possible, it requires giving Arden 20 levels and completing the game in 399 turns. It can be done, although it is not easy.

. . .and your point is what exactly???

40 minutes ago, Stephano said:

Just like with Arden, all units must level up 20 times and it’s impossible to get to that level with the arena. Unlike Arden however these units can fight and pick off left over enemies with ease. I understand that during your time playing, you found it difficult to use infantry. You just played a certain way and that’s fine. You clearly got through the game doing so. If you want to go fast and not use infantry, then sure. If you want to spend more time planning that way you can efficiently use everyone, then go ahead. I’m not telling you how to play, but from my time playing the game, I’ve been able to use everyone (except Arden, although my brother did)

My point is that the game's pacing is already glacial even with mounts. If I'm trying to regularly use infantry as well, it becomes even slower, especially since it's rather likely I'll have to constantly have them slow down so the infantry can catch up.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

They still don't dominate the way they do in Genealogy - it doesn't take several turns just for my mounts to see the first action of the map, they don't have a 3 move advantage (which is the move difference between mounted units and armors in most other FE games) over infantry, and they don't have Canto. 

I'd say they dominate just as well.

And canto being overpowered and armored units having no equivalent despite having similar disadvantages is nothing new. At least the TearRing Saga series made it so canto wouldn't activate if you took damage.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, what use were armors in Genealogy?

Arden and Hannibal are free units that provide potential gold through the arena and are needed to acquire useful items.

As an actual classes units, they provide nothing to the player except for the one time Hannibal can guard the player's castle from Areone's assault. Castle defense is woefully underused. They are however excellent defenders of the enemy castles.

Several fan hacks have fixed this by:

1. Giving armored units more movement.
  2. Making pavise a personal skill Arden can pass down.
  3. Merging all the armored classes so Arden can use all weapons from base.
  4. Giving both armored characters more skills.
  5. Lowering mounted caps.
  6. Giving reasons to defend castles.
Edited by Emperor Hardin

20 hours ago, eclipse said:

It's one scenario out of many.  And even if FE4 has its weirdness, it's still a FE at heart - which means it's a numbers game.  Sure, a magic sword might do it, but not when it's stuck to someone who's across the map.  Besides, Dew can steal gold and deal chip damage, so I fail to see why him being stuck at C swords is considered good, if a few more points of damage is the difference between feeding a kill or no.

Mega Man 2 and Mega Man ZX are both Mega Man games at heart- they're still power getting games. It doesn't mean their mechanics are compatible and it doesn't change that attempting to hybridize them would just break both.

It's not good for Dew, but the fact that a unit can't always do everything you want them to isn't really problematic from a design perspective. Kind of a weird point to make when discussing a game with Sigurd, I know, but Dew having low weapon ranks and that drawback actually somewhat sort of mattering does not mean that static weapon ranks are a bad system.

Attempting to hybridize the holy blood and inheritance system with dynamic weapon ranks would just make a flimsy, patched together system which doesn't really work. Even if something like thieves having C swords is truly so objectionable, you could just make the class rank B instead of throwing the whole system out of whack.

10 hours ago, AyraXLex said:

I got confused with you using my username haha, i lost the password for my original... But yes, I am a big fan of HolynxBridget because it makes Patty actually usable through Luna and the Brave Sword before promotion, and it fixes Faval's only concern in Skill. Lex makes Faval's accuracy problems even worse, and while they get 2x Exp, Patty will promote faster by actually being able to kill things, IMO. Faval may be underlevelled with other pairings, but it's not really a big deal, thanks to Yewfelle. Faval definitely doesn't need Neir blood, but I can't speak on Patty.

I might try it then, either that or Dew X Bridget. I've already got a sort of "gimmick" this run of pairing up dudes without Holy Blood, but Holyn sounds like a fun choice. I like it more the more I think on it.

10 hours ago, AyraXLex said:

If Ayra hasn't already snatched up Dew, [Noishe, right. Solid choice.]

I can't tell if this is a sarcasm, but I invested heavily in this Noish so I will assume it was earnest.

4 hours ago, AyraXLex said:

I do think the most likely scenario in the case they do remake Geneaology is something like what you suggested.

Since this is a topic I find interesting, do you feel such a remake sacrifices the core of what made Genealogy the game it was?

1 minute ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Mega Man 2 and Mega Man ZX are both Mega Man games at heart- they're still power getting games. It doesn't mean their mechanics are compatible and it doesn't change that attempting to hybridize them would just break both.

It's not good for Dew, but the fact that a unit can't always do everything you want them to isn't really problematic from a design perspective. Kind of a weird point to make when discussing a game with Sigurd, I know, but Dew having low weapon ranks and that drawback actually somewhat sort of mattering does not mean that static weapon ranks are a bad system.

Attempting to hybridize the holy blood and inheritance system with dynamic weapon ranks would just make a flimsy, patched together system which doesn't really work. Even if something like thieves having C swords is truly so objectionable, you could just make the class rank B instead of throwing the whole system out of whack.

I don't think you understand the numbers as well as you think you do.

8 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Since this is a topic I find interesting, do you feel such a remake sacrifices the core of what made Genealogy the game it was?

Since I feel like most people won't like it so much for the gameplay,  I'm pretty sure it's the story that everybody loves, so I'm gonna have to go with a no to that one. 

I hope this new remake brings forward more Arvis X Diedre fanart.

For context, to AAAA FE4, it requires you to spend no more than 34/35 turns per chapter on average. So me going around 40 means I’m going slower than a ranked pace but not so slow for grinding live and what not. 40 was also a bit high which was my bad. The prologue and be completed in around 25-30 turns. I got the 40 number because chapter 2 takes forever to complete.

Fair enough, I was going off the top of my head. I've played the game a lot (and use save states) so i would guess i play FE4 towards the aggressive side.

39 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I can't tell if this is a sarcasm, but I invested heavily in this Noish so I will assume it was earnest.

I didn't mean it sarcastically, but ive never used that pairing myself and figured i would come across that way lol. I have a hard time investing in Noishe in vanilla.

I think, for better or worse, in order to really rebalance the game it would require not being a faithful remake. In order to be a faithful remake, it would be hard for it to be much more than a refresh, imo. That might be a hyperbole.

30 minutes ago, Benice said:

Since I feel like most people won't like it so much for the gameplay,  I'm pretty sure it's the story that everybody loves, so I'm gonna have to go with a no to that one. 

I hope this new remake brings forward more Arvis X Diedre fanart.

I actually like the gameplay a lot, especially with how it ties into the story with geography and that sort of thing. It feels like you're traversing a continent, directing a campaign, rather than getting an episodic view of an army's conquest. The gameplay and story feel less independent to me in FE4 than most other entries. Maybe it's the music 😝

Edited by AyraXLex

3 minutes ago, AyraXLex said:

Maybe it's the music

I will say that I liked the enemy phase music. Can't say I'm too fond of the enemy attacks you music, but FE6's wasn't exactly great either.

4 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

It's kind of amazing how those changes, well, change things. Arden's much more fun to use.

I wonder what they'll do about Pavise, if we'll get the normal or binary version. (LVL% of null damage or LVL% of halves damage)
...Always made me laugh that they though Pavise needed nerfing in future FE. Because yeah, such rare skills totally needs to be nerfed to the ground.

7 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

I wonder what they'll do about Pavise, if we'll get the normal or binary version. (LVL% of null damage or LVL% of halves damage)
...Always made me laugh that they though Pavise needed nerfing in future FE. Because yeah, such rare skills totally needs to be nerfed to the ground.

At least we go to use it Great Shield one last time in Sacred Stones. 

Its funny how the Awakening/Fates version of Pavise is useful to anyone but a General who have low skill.

And its downright odd that Echoes: Shadows of Valentia refused to give Barons Pavise giving all their already crippling disadvantages.

20 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

At least we go to use it Great Shield one last time in Sacred Stones. 

Its funny how the Awakening/Fates version of Pavise is useful to anyone but a General who have low skill.

And its downright odd that Echoes: Shadows of Valentia refused to give Barons Pavise giving all their already crippling disadvantages.

Praise be FE8, where skills were fun !

What amaze me more is that they thought it was a good idea to split it into two skills. Much farming, very the game design, such fun to use.
And only ever useful for a few.

And I know right ? Dread Fighter flat halves magic damage, gain +5 res, with everything else. They could have given Pavise or a physical equivalent of the DF's skills to barons, like halves physical damage, that wouldn't had shaken the balance of the game more than it was.

But what do they get instead ? Halves bow damage. GG. THAT'S something the class or the game needed.

10 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I'd say they dominate just as well.

And canto being overpowered and armored units having no equivalent despite having similar disadvantages is nothing new. At least the TearRing Saga series made it so canto wouldn't activate if you took damage.

Your standards for "dominating just as well" must be really, REALLY low then... the only games where I would say cavalry were really dominant (aside from this one, that is) were Binding Blade and Path of Radiance, of which the former had really big maps (not to Genealogy's extent, of course, but big enough to where mounts were the only units that could get anywhere in a timely fashion), and the latter brought back post-attack Canto and allowed cavalry units to pick their second weapon after promotion.

10 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Arden and Hannibal are free units that provide potential gold through the arena and are needed to acquire useful items.

As an actual classes units, they provide nothing to the player except for the one time Hannibal can guard the player's castle from Areone's assault. Castle defense is woefully underused. They are however excellent defenders of the enemy castles.

Several fan hacks have fixed this by:

Anyone can provide gold through the arena if they can fight. The problem is that the arena is a massive case of "the rich get richer", as is FE4 in general. Arden being able to find a useful item is like Sophia being able to find that one Guiding Ring in Binding Blade - it's intrinsic to him and hot his class.

And that's my point - they have very little use.

Edited by Shadow Mir

When comparing certain units to other units, your always going to view things like, "well, this other unit can do the job better!" But I think you need to look at them as a standalone to see their true value. Besides, anyone knows that the dev's cant balance anything, why would that start to change now?

The problem whit Genealogy unbalance is that it takes away the fun, wich does not necessarily happen in, say, three houses. The holy weapons are supposed to be godmode and yet lewyn can often disappiont because you already defeated everything before he arrived or because he decided to not proc adept or critical.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Your standards for "dominating just as well" must be really, REALLY low then... the only games where I would say cavalry were really dominant (aside from this one, that is) were Binding Blade and Path of Radiance, of which the former had really big maps (not to Genealogy's extent, of course, but big enough to where mounts were the only units that could get anywhere in a timely fashion), and the latter brought back post-attack Canto and allowed cavalry units to pick their second weapon after promotion.

Flying units had stuff like Galeforce in Awakening and also gave weapon dominance to mounted units, inexplicably giving Great Knights the weapon triangle whilst not giving General swords despite history of using them throughout the franchise.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anyone can provide gold through the arena if they can fight. The problem is that the arena is a massive case of "the rich get richer", as is FE4 in general. Arden being able to find a useful item is like Sophia being able to find that one Guiding Ring in Binding Blade - it's intrinsic to him and hot his class.

And that's my point - they have very little use.

Again, the same applies to Awakening.

Great Shield in FE4 is really powerful at least, while we already discussed how useless it is to Armored units in Awakening.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Great Shield in FE4 is really powerful at least, while we already discussed how useless it is to Armored units in Awakening.

That skill is annoying in FE4. After playing through inflation, i dont want to see it again. 😪

13 hours ago, AyraXLex said:

I didn't mean it sarcastically, but ive never used that pairing myself and figured i would come across that way lol. I have a hard time investing in Noishe in vanilla.

I think, for better or worse, in order to really rebalance the game it would require not being a faithful remake. In order to be a faithful remake, it would be hard for it to be much more than a refresh, imo. That might be a hyperbole.

I gave him the pursuit ring and the armorslayer- he's actually done pretty well.

I see. It seems like a somewhat reasonable hyperbole, though.

2 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Flying units had stuff like Galeforce in Awakening and also gave weapon dominance to mounted units, inexplicably giving Great Knights the weapon triangle whilst not giving General swords despite history of using them throughout the franchise.

Galeforce is a level 15 skill, and thus odds are you won't see it until near the end of the game, if at all. Also, Great Knights have had the weapon triangle since their introduction in Sacred Stones.

2 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Again, the same applies to Awakening.

And all it does is cause you frustration there, given that the armored units you get have no practical use.

10 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Praise be FE8, where skills were fun !

Fun? More like an unceremonious afterthought, given this is the same game that had Sure Strike. Because Snipers needed a sure hit skill despite then being the most accurate class in the game. Bah. Great Shield was pretty lousy in Sacred Stones too, as its activation rate was tied to the enemy's level, and given Sacred Stones's difficulty (or lack thereof)...

Edited by Shadow Mir