What are some TH predictions that aged poorly, that you could think of?

Now that everyone’s more familiar with Three Houses, I decided to look back at earlier threads to get a laugh out of things earlier speculation either got wrong or aged poorly. Like this old post from back in April:

7A57A580-4F5A-425D-8516-947A05EB09C5.thumb.jpeg.d729eb9d6f9beecabb2af5843e77c003.jpeg

This makes me laugh because nearly everything in the second paragraph was actually explored upon in TH; cultures, religion, Crests and everything.

Any old TH speculation that you think of that aged poorly?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody insisting they "wouldn't make three games again after Fates" before we got the E3 2018 trailer. And also anybody believing the 2018 release window up until that first delay in the same trailer. I understand completely why they announced the game as early as they did, but no game should go 18 months between announcement and first trailer.

There was also a pessimistic crowd assuming the game would once again have shipping and Gen 2s with no time skip. And instead we got a time skip with no brats. What a world.

45 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Anybody insisting they "wouldn't make three games again after Fates" before we got the E3 2018 trailer.

They didn't tho? It was three games in one while Fates had three games across two games and a dlc.

On 4/25/2019 at 2:22 PM, Glennstavos said:

If I were making a bingo card out of bets, Geralt dying in the first two hours would be my free space. Here's some less sure bets:

• We meet Geralt in "the afterlife", likely when Byleth is temporarily knocked out before the final chapter and in need of some motivation.
  • Sothis gives you the weird avatar sword. BUT. It will literally float into Byleth's hands. Not because it "chose" him, though. They would have the sense to take that out of the first draft. 
  • Also Byleth never gets within 5 feet of Sothis in those visions.
  • Sothis makes remarks every time you turn back time during maps. What I don't know is whether these will be snide or "let's try again, you can do it!" remarks.
  • Upon completing the game, Sothis appears before you and decides she wants to live in the real world.
  • The antagonists in this game will be manipulated by some evil force/dragon. BUT, it will not be limited to the church. In fact, I think most of the final act will involve a war between the three nations, and the Monastery is the only faction on the continent thinking straight and trying to stop the fighting. In other words, the Church will just be the first thing we put back together.
  • Dimitri will be the main character that players arbitrarily don't like or meme about similar to the BlameTakumi phase of Fates.
  • You can customize the look of your units in some way
  • Byleth and the Three House leaders all cause a game over when they die. But unlike Echoes you can turn back time assuming you still have at least one use left. This will be the case in casual mode as well. Leaving people to really wonder what is the point of dividing casual from classic.
  • The Monastery is the only explorable environment between chapters.
  • Day One DLC grind maps for experience, gold, and rare items.
  • There is no "Jagen" character. Specifically, no character from the start of the game that joins as a unit at the highest tiered class. This of course implies Geralt is never playable.
  • We have a "Fernand moment" early in the game in which one of the Noble students picks on one of the "barn bred" commoner students. Like Fernand this noble student is never playable, because they would never let us play as a thoroughly unlikable character. Unlike Fernand, we never find out why this student is such a dick.
  • There's a support conversation involving one of the male students sneaking into the girl's dorm at night. This male student is the one with the highest qualifications to be the Thief class at the start of the game
  • There are Byleth-sexuals

Almost all of this. ^^^ Even the sure one of Jeralt dying two hours in, he dies about 9-11 hours in or more depending how slow you are.

I remember I made a rather poor one though I didn't post ir.

I think it was that, I am gonna use their canon names to show how ridiculous it is, Flayn and Seiros are sisters or some such and in the first part of the game you kill Seiros. Then the time skip happens Flayn grows up to be Rhea and seeks revenge and is the true final boss.

Looking back now it is quite absurd.

Another one is a few people believed Seteh would be a bad guy. We can see how that turned out...

• Posts about there would be time travel between two different periods.
  • Posts about Claude is the gay lord.
  • Vampire Emblem
  • Lysithea and Marianne will play major roles in the story due to the Reddit leaker.
  • Sothis has some evil overarching plan

Also, with my brand of hyper-specific bets, 3 out of 15 is not a bad score. There's an additional 4 in there that are impossibly close too. The Creator sword "floating" into Byleth's hand is debatable, Monastery being the only explorable space, Byleth-sexuals is only wrong if you define them as playable units but I do, Byleth never getting within 5 feet of Sothis. Also, Sothis chastising you with each use of Divine Pulse? That's just a great idea, why DIDN'T the devs come up with that?

Edited by Glennstavos

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Also, with my brand of hyper-specific bets, 3 out of 15 is not a bad score. There's an additional 4 in there that are impossibly close too. The Creator sword "floating" into Byleth's hand is debatable, Monastery being the only explorable space, Byleth-sexuals is only wrong if you define them as playable units but I do, Byleth never getting within 5 feet of Sothis. Also, Sothis chastising you with each use of Divine Pulse? That's just a great idea, why DIDN'T the devs come up with that?

1. Byleth caught it when it was flying towards them it didn't float towards him.

2. Not!Conand Tower is explorable that one time.

3. Sothis is the only one who has a only Byleth paired ending. Even Rhea has one with Catherine.

4. They literally merge with her also Byleth has her heart and is her vessel.

4 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

1. Byleth caught it when it was flying towards them it didn't float towards him.

Semantics! What you can't say is that he picked up the sword, it manifested in his hand, or it was handed to him by somebody else. Which is why it's such a close bet. How many other ways could he have obtained the sword?

2. Not!Conand Tower is explorable that one time.

If this is a reference, it's over my head. But yeah, the fort in Chapter 12 CF, although the player is only there for a few minutes talking to NPCs, disqualifies the bet.

3. Sothis is the only one who has a only Byleth paired ending. Even Rhea has one with Catherine.

Ah, so you're saying that since the bet is plural, it's wrong if there's just one example. That's a fair point. 

4. They literally merge with her also Byleth has her heart and is her vessel.

The merge scene is the kicker, for sure, since the bet specifies "in those visions". One could argue that since Sothis only exists in Byleth's head, the bet is either right by default or wrong by default depending on whether you consider Sothis a real person during the events of the game or if you subscribe to the theory that Byleth is suffering from some kind of dragon dementia.

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

If this is a reference, it's over my head. But yeah, the fort in Chapter 12 CF, although the player is only there for a few minutes talking to NPCs, disqualifies the bet.

It is the place you fight Miklan which they reuse for the hideout.

I had guessed that the marriage system would be trash, the game really didn’t have one so... bad guess I suppose. I was at least kinda correct as outside of Byleth, I don’t pair anyone up. None of the pair are that good in my mind

Surprised this hasn't come up. A LOT of people thought Edelgard would be Eirika 2.0. Abhors violence and preaches peace and love everywhere. But even before the big war she jokes and forebodes obsessively to the other house leaders about some big conflict she's waiting for.

The people who expected Flame Emperor to be a new take on Arvis on the other hand were right on the money.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:08 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Three Houses is awesome, by the way.

I know it's not exactly a prediction, but this statement of mine couldn't have aged any more poorly. My opinion's done a 180 degree turn since. That's why you don't judge a game a day after its release.

I pray I won't cause a flamewar with this... I normally try to stay away from Three Houses discussion because I know I'm in the minority here, but this is just too perfect to pass up... let's not call each other names, shall we?

In a less negative note, I remember that, before the support lists were leaked, everybody (myself included) was convinced that Hanneman would be a villain, due to his obsession with crests and his offputting request for drops of Byleth's blood. Then he turned out to be a really kind man who is just rather bad at small talk, and is playable in all routes to boot. Luckily for me, too. He's one of the very few characters from Three Houses that I truly do love, and his design is one of exactly five that I like.

26 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I know it's not exactly a prediction, but this statement of mine couldn't have aged any more poorly. My opinion's done a 180 degree turn since. That's why you don't judge a game a day after its release.

I pray I won't cause a flamewar with this... I normally try to stay away from Three Houses discussion because I know I'm in the minority here, but this is just too perfect to pass up... let's not call each other names, shall we?

In a less negative note, I remember that, before the support lists were leaked, everybody (myself included) was convinced that Hanneman would be a villain, due to his obsession with crests and his offputting request for drops of Byleth's blood. Then he turned out to be a really kind man who is just rather bad at small talk, and is playable in all routes to boot. Luckily for me, too. He's one of the very few characters from Three Houses that I truly do love, and his design is one of exactly five that I like.

So... you don’t think it’s awesome, at least not anymore? That understandable each FE that comes out seems like the greatest one but then slowly starts to sink, I figured it would be a meh game but I’m glad I was wrong there 

20 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

So... you don’t think it’s awesome, at least not anymore? That understandable each FE that comes out seems like the greatest one but then slowly starts to sink, I figured it would be a meh game but I’m glad I was wrong there 

Well, I'd... go a step further than that, myself. A "I actually hate this game and the fact that this is what the series is now" step. But I understand I'm in the minority here.

To be honest, the biggest reason I hate it is because everyone else loves it to pieces, and it frustrates me that I cannot feel the same way. I wanna be happy too, damnit! But the game just has too many grievous flaws!

That they'd return to form after the sh*t show that was IF and accept their place as a niche title with a dedicated, if not smaller, fanbase.

Honestly, I think a lot of the optimism around TH is proof that doubling down on the poor writing and just playing up the weeb dating sim aspect is their best bet for mainstream success.

I don't think these have necessarily "aged poorly", but things I was off on:

- Both Dmitri and Claude would grow beards after the timeskip. Claude does have facial hair but not to the level I was predicting.

- Solon would be responsible for Dmitri loosing an eye. As far as I can tell, Solon's weird black eye still does not have an explanation.

- Nemesis was secretly an anti-hero/villain who's goals were noble but their actions were not. From what I can tell, the situation is a lot more ambiguous in the game itself.

- Jeralt was going to die, but there would have been a lot of subversion's and red herrings surrounding the trope. Other than it being deliberately anticlimactic (which just makes it sadder), not a whole lot was done to mess with the "parent dies" trope.

Blood would appear in gameplay with an on/off feature. Nintendo kept it off during Directs because those were meant for a wider audience. Outside of cutscenes, blood doesn't appear. I was personally disappointed by this, but became less and less surprised as more and more of the cast was shown off. I didn't get the impression that the characters were designed with the intent that they would be involved in gruesome battles where they would bloodily kill their enemies and get scarred up themselves.

The school mechanics would disappear entirely after the time skip, and then it would play like a much more conventional Fire Emblem game. There would be enough hints that the school phrase wouldn't last forever and that the player should get the most out of it while they can. They're still present after the timeskip, even if certain aspects about it do change.

Kellam and other characters that had a "disappeared without a trace" endings would make easter egg cameos. A sillier prediction I have for every new Fire Emblem game, so I wasn't holding my breath.

- The graphics and animations would improve significantly when compared to the first trailer. I've already said my thoughts on the games graphics before, but while I don't think Three Houses necessarily looks bad, there are too many visual hiccups in the presentation, animations, and models that I would list it as a negative.