What are some TH predictions that aged poorly, that you could think of?

2 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

From what I can tell, the situation is a lot more ambiguous in the game itself.

Less ambiguous and more certain in VW. I won't tell you though as it seems you haven't played it.

2 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Other than it being deliberately anticlimactic (which just makes it sadder), not a whole lot was done to mess with the "parent dies" trope.

The only subversion is that he doesn't die as early as others or is evil. The only one who lives through the game and is not evil is Eliwood.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Less ambiguous and more certain in VW. I won't tell you though as it seems you haven't played it.

Yeah, I know of the twist in that route. We still never get Nemesis's side of the story, though.

Not a bad prediction, not even our fault for believing it would be in the game, but remember when we thought battalion formations would be a thing? I wonder how that would've worked had they sticked to their guns. Would it have just been a weapon triangle substitution, or was there something more to that old system that was never shown before it was cut?

Spoiler

I said the sauna was basically going to be post-release fanservice because they just couldn't help themselves. That was incorrect!
I also thought map and dialogue locations, as well as other details such as the weird homes in the background in the lava chapters, or the house that healing tiles are stuck to on a bunch of maps... all of those would be way more meaningful than they ended up being. Lesson learned, don't read too much into that stuff!
Oh, and most of us assumed Byleth's... "talents" would come directly from one of their parents(and I was one of the few Jeralt-strongest-knight-ever/looks-remarkably-like-Nemesis supporters, which makes me even more wrong).

Spoiler

I thought Rhea and Seiros were the same person. Then I changed my mind.

... also, not a jab against the guy but, just watch any of the Mangs' pre-release videos. He got very prediction-happy, and it's almost uncanny how much he got wrong.

Edited by Cysx

A failed prediction was that Dimitri and Edelgard would be this Romeo and Juliet couple according to the dance trailer, only to be proven wrong and we just got baited.

There was also the prediction that TWSiTD would be a big threat, but oops, we mostly kill them off screen or kick down their front door in VW.  It was like they decided to use Team Rocket as our baddies, but then decided that Meowth was too op and nerfed them past Oblivion.

There were some Reddit prediction about TH having more waifu mechanics, but that was tossed aside for item fetching, gift giving, and heal tile camping supports.  

Also, my friends thought F! Byleth would get a glow up with the time skip, but nope, still the same Spacey protagonist.

2 hours ago, Marihilda shipper 2456 said:

Thought that Claude would be at least bisexual... look how that turned out 

Did you read the article where the writer strongly implied that only for it to not be true. I think that's why a lot of people were so upset at the situation, personally.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:22 AM, Erosword said:

A failed prediction was that Dimitri and Edelgard would be this Romeo and Juliet couple according to the dance trailer, only to be proven wrong and we just got baited.

Well, they kind of are in a sense. We do know that edelgard once had feelings for dimitri and that they could never be together due to a semi-external conflict, as well as different factions. 

Spoiler

(And I do say semi since it's kind of the fault of the church that Edelgard decides to hit ctrl. Z)

As a joke and reference to FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, I predicted that Jeralt would uncover an evil conspiracy, and would be killed by something that could change its appearance. That actually aged surprisingly well.

The part that aged poorly was that the killer would assume the appearance of Jeralt’s deceased wife to gain the upper-hand (instead, Kronya just stabs her in the back), and that we’d see a one-sided battle between Byleth and Jeralt’s killer (in favour of Byleth) after which the respective House Leader would have to stop Byleth from becoming consumed by revenge. Not only do we not get that, but the very concept of pre-timeskip Dimitri trying to stop Byleth from going down the path of revenge is laughable.

Edited by vanguard333

I don't remember too much of what I thought about everything that changed. I thought Edelgard was going to be my favorite, she was, I thought I would dislike Dimitri, I do. I thought that the game would be amazing from day one and I was right about that for sure. It's one of my favorite games. One of the biggest things I guess is I got worried that pegasus knights wouldn't be playable. For some reason, for balance issues, I thought that they would make Pegasus Knights into a battalion only or something. I really like the class and was worried it might not come back. They did one better and gave us the Dark Flier back too!

Well, I didn't necessarily have predictions, but there definitely were some expectations I had based on the pre-release material:

- I thought fully explorable dungeons and towns would be a feature like in SoV. Turns out this wasn't true. The monastery is nice and all, but more having dungeons and towns would have helped the game's atmosphere.

- I thought that there would have been build-up to each month's boss map (i.e. you fight some random general that lonato controls during the month before fighting lonato himself). Again, would have been nice for world-building and would have given his death some more impact.

-I thought maps in the second half of the game would be much larger (around the size of shadow dragon / tharacia maps). Would have given the game greater scope.

-I remember seeing some leak that said abyss would be post-game maps for each story. In hindsight, given NG+, this doesn't make sense

-I thought there would be more interactions between the 3 main lords. I also thought there would be a "golden path" where all the lords team up to defeat the slither. This didn't happen.

There are quite a few more expectations I had, be these are the main ones

I just recalled, there are griffons here and there in this game's imagery, and as such, myself and a bunch of others were pretty positive griffon rider was making a comeback. Which reminds me that some around here really wanted them, so... yeah, apologies for the false hopes.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:11 PM, Deathcon said:

The only subversion is that he doesn't die as early as others or is evil. The only one who lives through the game and is not evil is Eliwood.

What about Eliwood's mom 👀👀

Many people thought Edelgard was Immaculate One due to her hair color and the crown

On the other hand, despite that theory was wrong, it now makes more sense to me where the crown came from. It's likely the crown was used by Serios herself in the imperial court before she moved to the newly built monastery in year 185, thus representing Immaculate One. From the mural it seems that Seiros links to Immaculate One was a public knowledge back in the days, as Rite of Rebirth mural in DLC shows Seiros as the dragon attending the ceremony.

There is something quite funny about one of the predictions, the whole demon name and the Crest of Flames was connecting Byleth to the villain of the past Nemesis, some though they would actually had been a descendent of Nemesis, now we know that is technically wrong And in fact Byleth is technically descendent of the other historical figure.

But there is a very funny thing that happened with this, we don't have a proper descendent of Nemesis, but we have TWO characters that can be seen as reencarnations of Nemesis (one created as such, other acknowledged as such) And I need to keep mentioning the irony of both these characters being technically descendents of the OTHER historical figure.

Edited by Troykv

I was convinced that the antagonist would win at one point and Byleth would use a huge Divine Pulse to travel back in time further than ever before in order to stop it. That didn't age well. Maybe it would've been too similar to Awakening.

I also expected stuff like school festival and a lot more typical anime high school stuff than we got. I'm glad I was wrong on that account.