Thoughts on the character cast of 3H

I don’t mean this in an offensive way but I really feel, now that the paint has dried, that in terms of characters 3H has the lowest amount of characters I flat out dislike but it also has the smallest amount of characters I really like too. What is everyone’s thoughts on the overall cast of 3H?

i generally liked them, there's almost no character i strongly dislike like i do with Fates's cast: the only two i can say i REALLY don't like at all and towards whom i feel something very close to hatred are Edelgard and Lysithea; i'm also not exactly fond of Bernadetta and Lynhardt, but it's not that i dislike them

there are also characters i feel neutral about, such as Petra, Ingrid, Ashe, Raphael and Ignatz, but the characters i like are much more numerous: Rhea, Dimitri, Manuela, Dorothea, Marianne, Hilda, Mercedes, Annette, Sylvain, Felix, Dedue, Caspar and more

so i'm overall quite satisfied with 3H's cast

Edited by Yexin

I’m the other way, Bernie, Lysithea, Marianne and Rhea are the only ones I really like. I would take the polarizing characters of Fate over the kinda boring group of 3H. That is why I’m generally disappointed with the 3H roster

My top 6 favorite units of all FE has 3 characters from 3H, that says a lot.

I recently rated every playable (and important non-playable) character in every FE that I played, giving all a unique grade between 1 and 10 (2 decimal points so they're all unique). Then I calculated what game I like most when I take the average of all units. (I know, I'm a complete madman.) Here's my results:

FE9 7,103
FE10 7,093
FE16 6,863
FE15 6,849
FE8 6,829
FE7 6,335
FE6 6,322
FE13 5,623
FE12 4,979
FE11 4,865
FE14 4,432

As you can see, FE16 gets 3rd place for me on average character score. Now if you don't mind, I'll go replay 3H for the 9th time.

I generally like this cast! There are few characters on it that I actually don't. And the ones I really like are up there in my top favorites.

Still can't quite beat Tellius though, that cast is just too damn good.

Three Houses doesn't have my favorite cast in the series, there's a few other casts I still like more overall, but I like almost all of the TH cast well enough and a couple of them have pushed their way up as some of my favorite characters across the series. Dimitri, Claude, Marianne, Ashe, Mercedes, and a couple more are fantastic, and then others such as Ignatz, Ferdinand, Felix, Annette, Flayn, Dorothea, Bernadetta, and others are totally fine. The only characters I'm not too fond of are Hubert and Cyril, and I'm undecided about Catherine.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

I definitely really like the cast of Three Houses. There's a lot of characters I really like such as Claude, Dimitri, Edelgard, Lysithea, Dorothea, Ashe, Annette, Shamir, Linhardt, Hubert, Dedue, Felix, Sylvain, Raphael, Leonie, Alois, Seteth, Hanneman, etc. The only characters who I flat out dislike are Byleth and Cyril.

My favorite casts are still Path of Radiance and Shadows of Valentia overall, but Three Houses is definitely up there for having one of my favorite casts 🙂

I like the cast a lot. Like Awakening, Echoes and Blazing Sword I feel like there is a nice balance between charcters I like a lot and ones I don`t really care for. The only characters I really dislike are Sylvain, Gilbert and Lysethia. It`s also one of the few games I`ve played where I understand a character, but completely dissagree with their methods. Would probably rank it as my favourite cast in the series, objectivly speaking.

It is my 2nd or 3rd favorite cast, behind Tellius and MAYBE Sacred Stones.

Favorite Tellius characters

Spoiler

Bastian, Nasir, Zihark, Pelleas, Nephenee, Sothe, Naesala, Reyson, Lethe

Hell, literally everyone but Makalov and Meg is just wonderful.

Favorite Sacred Stones characters -

Spoiler

Forde, Cormag, Innes, Saleh, Rennac, L'Arachel, Joshua, Gilliam.

No characters that really get on my nerves. Just a lot that range from kinda like to meh.

Favorite Three Houses characters -

Spoiler

Linhardt, Bernadetta, Marianne, Hapi, Edelgard, Claude, Dimitri, Yuri, Shamir.

Only characters I really don't care for are Sylvain, Raphael, Sothis, Flayn, and Lysithea.

Edited by Etheus

Sylvain is my favorite TH character (obviously lol), followed by Claude. I also like Seteth, Flayn, Rhea, Dimitri, Ingrid, Annette, and Dorothea, though as I said, there are few characters I actually dislike. The only ones are Hubert, Linhardt, and Felix.

Edited by Anacybele

I think Three Houses has my favorite cast. Never in any Fire Emblem game have I struggled to cut down my roster to 10-12. Usually there's only about 8-10 characters I truly like/want to use on the field.

I'm currently doing my second Azure Moon run (Maddening), and wow it's tough only using 10 characters for most of the game. There's so many favorites I can't help but use, and so many ones that I WANT to use, but I simply just can't. Cindered Shadows was my full dream because I got to use Claude, Dimitri AND Edelgard and did I mention how much I love the 3 House Leaders (and how freaking broken Claude is?!).

And to be honest, the characters I HATE (Rhea, Seteth, Catherine, etc. (I swear I don't hate the church)), I hate them because they're so well-written and have so much depth. They're not flat characters, they're very dynamic, which allows me to fully hate them. Haha. I take great pleasure in killing Rhea and Seteth whenever I can—or at least just choosing dialogue that lowers my support with them—but I still think they're awesome villains. 

The only characters that fall into "I really just don't care", are Raphael, Ignatz, Dedue and Leonie (sorry Golden Deer cast, you were by far the weakest for me). They just didn't feel really dynamic or multi-faceted, and to be fair, I didn't really go into that many of their supports (well Ignatz and Dedue I got pretty far, but I got really tired of the same supports). So I'm sure there's more depth maybe in their A supports that I just didn't even get to.

Edelgard

Marianne

Claude

Annette

and the rest of 3H cast with Dimitri being my least favorite(I don't like edgy)

GD cast could have been given plot relevance but yeah they were the weakest due to most of them being commoners.

BL cast was the typical fire emblem cast in a nutshell

BE cast was interesting because of the fact they are somewhat relevant to their route

Fire Emblem Three Houses has my favorite cast, followed by the Tellius and Jugdral games.

I don't really dislike any of the characters in the game. At worst I feel indifference towards a character but I still like most characters in the game, some more than others of course but there's no one I outright dislike.

Edited by Strullemia

Overall my favorite cast. One thing 3H really excels at is establishing how and why characters act the way they do. This is why even characters I'm not as fond of I can still reapect due to having good justifications.

Also helps that it now has my new favorite Lord (Dimitri).

Support conversations can be interesting, but I spend hours on the map and battles, and only a couple of minutes reading supports. Thus, what the character does during the battles is more important than (or at least equal to) what they may say out of it. And I never take the story or the conversations seriously, anyway.

When I first played Conquest, I laughed at what Odin shouted during the battle or after a level-up, and I remember repeating it (in my thoughts) during the day, and smiling because of it. Likewise, I remember Felicia's voice and phrases, and those of Velouria, Nina, Elise, Silas, Ophelia, Mozu, Sophie...
I am not talking about character development or character depth, but about simple, yet memorable things like their voice and phrases. Which is precisely what I hear the great majority of the time.

Well, the voices and phrases of Blue Lions were never that entertaining to me. The voice acting itself might be good, but their phrases were not funny nor smart nor memorable enough for me. Since they did not amuse me, I had less incentives to care about them.
For example, I find it funny how Hilda shouts "Hilda, Hilda!" during battles. And while I dislike the gist of her personality, that phrase was enough to make me care about her and check her supports. I also loved Hapi's voice acting and funny dialogue. What a refreshing surprise! I laughed out loud when she first said "Chatter Box" (one the most memorable lines in the entire game!)

Silly things like these are what entertain me. And I did not find enough of them in Three Houses.

Edited by starburst
Clarity.

There isn't a single character I dislike in Three Houses (so far). I mean yeah, the Slitherers are mostly one-note and probably the only candidates for being poorly written, but they aren't ineffectual like the villains were in Echoes. Some characters annoy me to an extant, but not enough to actively dislike them. That said, there are some characters I would not get along with at all in person, when it comes to the playable cast.

Anyway, all in all, very happy. Favorite cast, a lot of depth to be had. Most characters alone are capable of provoking a variety emotions in me.

Compare this to Echoes, where I really like the cast but the lack of supports hurts them a bit and I abhor the story.

Or Awakening, where the cast is enjoyable but not deep.

Or Fates, where.... eeeeeehhhhh.

I really like the cast in FE so far. I haven't seen FE characters done this well since the Tellius games, and it is easily one of the strongest points of Three Houses. 

Aaron Ehasz, the head writer of Avatar: the Last Airbender, once said that great characters should be written to be dimensional, compelling, fascinating, and believable. Things like relatable, likeable, or realistic are okay, but they should not be striven for as they're easily misused and can harm the story writing as a result. I believe he's made good writing and bad writing, but he's definitely right about this. 

Why do I bring this up? Time and time again, Three Houses knocks it out of the park in those four areas. Every single student meets at least three out of four of those criteria, as do the Church of Seiros characters. 

The only place where they struggle with this are the antagonists. Ironically, minor antagonists like Miklan and especially Lonato were handled fairly well. But, when we get to the major antagonists, things fall apart. I'm sure everything I could say about TWSITD has been said already, so instead, I'm going to focus on the other major antagonist: the Flame Emperor. Before anyone asks, I am aware that Edelgard and the Flame Emperor are the same person, but I think it's fair to treat the Flame Emperor as a separate character in terms of discussing characterization and role in the narrative. 

The Flame Emperor was advertised as the main antagonist of part 1; a disc-one antagonist whose motivations and actions would have huge ramifications going into part two. However, nothing the Flame Emperor does as the Flame Emperor actually amounts to much. Their motivations are kept vague and their actions and impact are extremely limited. The only impact that the Flame Emperor really has on the narrative comes from the reveal of who's behind the mask; that's it. T

he Flame Emperor is a very weak antagonist overall, and I honestly think that, at some point in the game's development, the Flame Emperor initially wasn't going to be Edelgard, and when they combined the two characters, they had to do rewrites that ultimately removed a lot of character from the Flame Emperor. I think this because it's stupid for Edelgard to hire bandits to assassinate a group of students that includes herself, and because the Flame Emperor makes mention of needing to find replacements for the bandits, and, unless they're talking about the Western Church, that never gets followed up on. 

Three Houses has the most characters I like because it gives me far more opportunities to get to know them than in previous games.

You can argue it also gives me more opportunities to find something I dislike about them, but even the ones I'm not thrilled about are at least people I can imagine actually existing lol

I think the most memorable cast was POR, since everyone seemed to have a part to play in the story. It's also a more entertaining when you recruit characters, as it makes them more memorable. Radiant Dawn just mooched off the FE9 cast and nostalgia, but that's ok. Awakening had some of my favourite characters (Tharja, Henry, Owain, Lucina, etc.), but also had a lot of meh. Those would be my top three, then probably 3H comes in next, although I don't really think there is a character in this game who would be in my top 10 FE characters. Maybe not even in my top 20. I'm a little foggy on the GBA games after not having played them for a decade, and I'm sort of skipping Fates because I was never able to finish it without getting bored/burned out. 

When I saw the teasers, I thought everyone looked pretty lame and sameish, but turns out there was some substance there, and I was pleasantly surprised. My favourite was probably Constance because she just nukes with bolting, and her personality is pretty entertaining. Ashen wolves might be my favourite house, despite their story being kind of ridiculous. Petra would be my other favourite, as I thought her accent was quite endearing. The one thing I thought kind of hurt the game is that all the support convos seemed to come up at the same time. At times I was slogging through like 20 supports to the point where I had to put the game down. There were also a few characters I hated like Ashe and Ignatz.

The other thing is that I felt like the Golden Deer were kinda just squeezed in last minute. None of the Church teachers have any ties to the Alliance, and that made it harder to enjoy their characters, particularly in part 1, as they weren't really involved with the story. That and the route is literally a carbon copy of the church route. And sort of along that vein, the story in general didn't really feel finished. I'm on my last playthrough (Edelgard), but I'm still really unclear about those who slither in the dark vs Rhea and how Nemesis/ten elite all fit together. Every route so far has ended pretty abruptly, leaving a lot of questions unanswered. Giving all the characters right at the beginning also sort of takes them out of the story and makes them feel less important.

I'd say 3H has the most robust cast in the FE franchise. I find the game does a good job showcasing character growth over the course of the timeskip and generally making them feel like they matter even when they don't have a strong connection to the overarching plots. That comes in part due to the setup where you can interact with nearly all recruitable characters from the getgo, but the writing is generally better too. I find even the catchline/stereotype characters like Raphael and Bernadette endearing and believable despite their silly shticks. 

Because of the different storylines, however, it makes the supporting characters feel pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme and therefore less memorable. The game does take itself more seriously than the average FE title, so it doesn't have as much silliness or plain weirdness that stands out. And of course, Byleth is deliberately written to be nondescript outside of charting the path of the three lords. 

Most of them fall between "good" and "excellent", but I'd say only Edelgard is truly outstanding enough to compete with the other Fire Emblem franchise heavyweights. Which is fine. Spreading the quality across the board was the right choice, because despite its flaws 3H's characters and narrative will certainly stand the test of time.

Edited by NolanBaumgartner

The most memorable cast for me is Blazing Blade's. The protagonist trio of Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector just really works for me, and it gives such good development to its story-relevant characters, such as Nils, as well as its non-story relevant characters like Isadora and Lucius, and its kinda-story relevant characters like Pent and Oswin. Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance are way up there for me, as well.

As far as the entire cast goes 3H has by far my favorite cast. Yes, there are characters I don’t like (like Gilbert or Leonie) but I see value in them as well since no game prior to 3H has presented its side-characters in a detailed way. At least many of its characters felt like the were involved in the story and had something to say outside of support conversations.

3H isn’t even my favorite FE game. That would be Genealogy and while I love most characters, many of them aren’t that interesting due to SNES limitations. If Genealogy was remade then 3H would be kicked out as my number one cast, provided it gets the Echoes treatment and not the Shadow Dragon treatment.