Autolock old topics

Sid Starkiller

So some of the boards have been having a problem regarding new users bumping topics that haven't had posts in 6 or more months, and basically saying nothing useful. Oftentimes the topic was asking about help with a level or boss in a game, having long since gotten the help they need, and then being bumped anyway. Or bringing up a long dead discussion and responding with fluff. And every time, a moderator inevitably has to take time out of their day to close it. I was thinking it would save you guys time if there was a way to autolock topics that haven't been posted in, say in 2-3 months.

That would work, provided that the mods could also still unlock them later if necessary. There have been a few cases where it's reasonable to revive them after a long period of time. Like art and writing threads.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That would work, provided that the mods could also still unlock them later if necessary. There have been a few cases where it's reasonable to revive them after a long period of time. Like art and writing threads.

Or make it so the creator of the topic could bump it, if needed.

It's not even that big a deal in how often it happens 

Like we have some threads we have an exeption for like project and art threads like Ana mentioned. We like to keep them open for the creators to keep updating the threads. A lot of rom hacks and projects can take a while so it's good to keep them open instead of having a auto lock system, where they would have to contact us to open it, it's a lot easier to just let them stay open.

Another is that outside of the FEH and 3H forums are they're not super busy anymore, so as long as they're on the front page they're still considered active, we won't give a warn for posting in those threads.

and it takes me less than 5 seconds to lock a thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a solution:

Autolocking topics will only happen to threads that are not on the front page AND have no posts in over a month, but cannot happen to topics in the art/projects threads, as well as Far From the Forest.

• 1 year later...

I suggest that a feature be implemented that warns if you are about to necropost.

Some people (me 😭) are looking for answers or to help with problems and end up reaching a topic from our browser, rather than searching for this long closed topic through pages of threads. It's not intentional, and for someone like myself who is rarely on forums because of time restraints, looking at the timestamps isn't a habit.
This is why a simple warning popup about necroposting would solve a lot of issues and keep users from piling up points for necroposting.

Also I do realize this thread is more than a month old, but I feel this input is valid enough to (hopefully) not warrant necroposting penalties.

Edited by Drumitch
Added reasoning

• 2 weeks later...

Funny that this is open since 2020, but I'm going to go in the reverse direction.  Why lock old threads at all?  It's one thing if it was a time-limited contest or the like that is now definitively closed.  To be sure, sometimes older threads are bumped with vapid comments, but the solution in the case of a truly disruptive / useless comment is to delete the comment, not lock the thread.

I was mostly thinking of this as happening over at the FE3H forum where an old rate-the-character thread was bumped by a new user who made a reasonable comment ( https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/93049-rate-the-unit-three-houses-day-15-annette/&do=findComment&comment=5873205 ).  Do character opinions expire?  This seems like the kind of thread that should stay open forever - let newcomers really set on telling everyone else what they think of the value of various characters come on by and express them.  The alternative is a bunch of random, separated posts where someone cites opinions in an old thread.  Don't really see the value in encouraging things to be done that way (and they probably won't be - people will just decline to comment at all instead).

On 10/25/2021 at 4:05 PM, SnowFire said:

I was mostly thinking of this as happening over at the FE3H forum where an old rate-the-character thread was bumped by a new user who made a reasonable comment ( https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/93049-rate-the-unit-three-houses-day-15-annette/&do=findComment&comment=5873205 ).  Do character opinions expire?  This seems like the kind of thread that should stay open forever - let newcomers really set on telling everyone else what they think of the value of various characters come on by and express them.  The alternative is a bunch of random, separated posts where someone cites opinions in an old thread.  Don't really see the value in encouraging things to be done that way (and they probably won't be - people will just decline to comment at all instead).

In that case, the purpose of the thread was to "rate the unit (Annette)" in the context of a general rating scheme among all 3H units. The ratings were compiled and averaged shortly after the thread was opened. By the time of the comment in question, the rating process had been completed, and the comment wasn't a direct continuation of any preexisting discussion. Therefore, it didn't really suit the thread, so I requested that the thread be locked, owing to being a necropost. Had the commenter wanted to discuss Annette's merits as a unit, they certainly could have begun a new thread on the topic. Perhaps people's minds would have changed from a full year ago.

Alternatively, we could have a pinned "general character/unit discussion" thread, where comments like that could go. Kind of in the same vein as the (not pinned, but very much alive) "Unpopular Opinions" thread on "General FE".

14 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

In that case, the purpose of the thread was to "rate the unit (Annette)" in the context of a general rating scheme among all 3H units. The ratings were compiled and averaged shortly after the thread was opened. By the time of the comment in question, the rating process had been completed, and the comment wasn't a direct continuation of any preexisting discussion. Therefore, it didn't really suit the thread, so I requested that the thread be locked, owing to being a necropost. Had the commenter wanted to discuss Annette's merits as a unit, they certainly could have begun a new thread on the topic. Perhaps people's minds would have changed from a full year ago.

Alternatively, we could have a pinned "general character/unit discussion" thread, where comments like that could go. Kind of in the same vein as the (not pinned, but very much alive) "Unpopular Opinions" thread on "General FE".

I guess I don't agree with this at all.  The purpose of that series of threads was to share opinions on Annette (/other characters), not derive a number.  Who cares what the resulting number was?  Contextless scores are uninteresting.  The relevant part is the discussion.  (And if what you said was really true, then the threads could have been locked instantly after 24 hours, but they weren't, because that would have been silly.)  You suggest creating a new thread - I don't think that's realistic, and it seems very weird.  Like, why create a thread which is "In this thread, I'm going to disagree with some opinions in another thread."  If the context is discussing / debating opinions in that thread, just do it in that thread, something that would be uncontroversially true if the other thread was still active.

1 hour ago, SnowFire said:

I guess I don't agree with this at all.  The purpose of that series of threads was to share opinions on Annette (/other characters), not derive a number.  Who cares what the resulting number was?  Contextless scores are uninteresting.  The relevant part is the discussion.  (And if what you said was really true, then the threads could have been locked instantly after 24 hours, but they weren't, because that would have been silly.)  You suggest creating a new thread - I don't think that's realistic, and it seems very weird.  Like, why create a thread which is "In this thread, I'm going to disagree with some opinions in another thread."  If the context is discussing / debating opinions in that thread, just do it in that thread, something that would be uncontroversially true if the other thread was still active.

I don't believe that the original context - that of rating the units in question, for the purpose of a community tierlist - can be divorced from the thread itself. It wasn't purely a "Let's discuss Annette as a unit" thread, but a "Let's evaluate and grade her for our tierlist" thread. If it were the former, I could see where you're coming from. Keeping it open long after the date could potentially cause confusion ("wait, there's an ongoing tierlist effort?") and prompt people to post their own scores, without necessarily realizing that said scores won't be included in the community tierlist (which is finished and dormant for the time being).

Again, I think creating a new thread would have been appropriate in this case. The particular grading effort was finished, but there could still be room to discuss Annette (or any unit) outside of that. The opinions provided in the "rate the unit" thread were also fairly old pnes, which could have changed by now.