E3 2020 Officially Cancelled

Anacybele

Yeah, this is no joke. I just saw this.

This SUCKS if it's true! I was really wanting to see Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2... And possibly FE Warriors 2. 😭

Edited by Anacybele

It honestly wouldn't surprise me.  I'm not going to a medical conference that I've gone to the last two years in part because there have been cases in Chicago.

Understandable if true, there are doubts that the next gen will be released this year troubled production due to the corona virus affecting China. I find it harder to get excited for most pre rendered trailers these days. The greater push to attract e-celeb and "influencers" turning the event into a promotional theme park also turns me off.  Still I expect a truck load of news just not under the same umbrella with livestreams and directs.

Yeah, I do understand canceling the live event for obvious reasons. But it would still suck if we don't get any gaming news for a very long time because of it. They could at least post trailers and all through Youtube and such.

Yeah, a lot of us have been looking at that as a possiblity, especially with GDC's postponement a couple weeks ago. I would definitely wait for an official statement from the ESA, as they have assured us E3 is still happening (bottom of the page). If E3 is cancelled, the big three already have their version of the Nintendo Direct to announce games without a big event. So the rate of new game trailers and announcements is probably unaffected. 

5 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Understandable if true, there are doubts that the next gen will be released this year troubled production due to the corona virus affecting China. 

This is definitely what's going to affect us consumers the most. Chinese production being incapacitated is going to strangle the supply of hardware, so we may see shortages of current systems as well. Boy this was a bad year for the next line of playstation and xbox consoles.

Unfortunately, it was to be expected.

There are pretty much new cases of infected people every single day. In Quebec, we might have 5 people infected already. 22 in total in Canada.

And no more travelling to Italy anymore. About time actually.

Nintendo can survive this, isn't their main E3 thing basically a Direct? All this means is no hands-on play and in-person experience for those in attendance. Video games are relatively lucky compared to other things.

And while I'm more a physical person who laments its eventual termination, forcing the shift of new short-term-release games to mostly digital until supply chains are restored for the production is a radical, but perhaps feasible option. You can't catch coronavirus from the Internet and eShop.

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I do understand canceling the live event for obvious reasons. But it would still suck if we don't get any gaming news for a very long time because of it. They could at least post trailers and all through Youtube and such.

If your big concern is not getting gaming news I wouldn't worry about that. Nintendo will most likely still do a Direct.

This has been rumored for a while now and it's completely understandable. People have bigger things to worry about.

17 minutes ago, Jave said:

If your big concern is not getting gaming news I wouldn't worry about that. Nintendo will most likely still do a Direct.

This has been rumored for a while now and it's completely understandable. People have bigger things to worry about.

True, yeah. We will still probably get a Direct.

And of course an E3 cancellation is understandable, I did say that.

not surprised in the slightest

I think a lot of companies are going to do digital events, and have their own version of Nintendo Directs

IMO, we really don't need the event, just putting the trailer up on YouTube will get the same kind of attention, and maybe giving out digital demos of games will become more common.

59 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The Corona Virus out there performing good works, I see.

That's one way of looking at it, lmao.  E3 is always a train wreck.  Or at least, the presentations are.

In any event, I guess it's a shame for those that were looking forward to possibly attending.  I only really care about the game news in regards to E3.  That, and laughing at stupid/awkward moments in E3.  EA put on an absolutely terrific show with that one guy who said off-hand "apparently people don't like me on Twitter".  Gonna miss that this year unless they opt to instead delay E3... if that's even doable.

We'll probably still get a Nintendo Direct unless things get to the point where people are quarantining themselves from work entirely.  That's mostly all I care about - really just want to see what'll come out of FE (that isn't just more FEH stuff) and Zelda.  Though I also want to see what Godd Howard has to say about Bethesda's continuous failures.  And maybe part of me hopes to see Metal Gear, but that's a pipe dream on a star alignment and anything that came of it probably wouldn't be good.

Sad they may have to cancel the event, but since most people that are interested in this event can't make it anyway, the physical aspect isn't a big deal. A digital E3 is totally do-able. All the companies can just post their new trailers on their channels and just have a small portion of reporters come to their company office to play the game out and do the PR work. That being said, I wonder if we'll get any FE news. There's been rumors of a new Echoes title floating around and I wonder if they'll reveal they're working on a new project. Since Koei handled the animations for Three Houses, I wonder what the team at IS have been doing.

I'm...honestly not surprised, hahah. Cases of Coronavirus are rising everyday, so it's for the best to cancel public gatherings to prevent the spread. Can the UK follow suit and cancel football matches, please?

As for me, I only watch E3 for Nintendo, and they're most likely going to upload their direct online as normal. They'll probably still keep Treehouse, too.

It wouldn't surprise me if it got cancelled. They've been cancelling a lot of events in different European countries. In my country they even gave advice to organizers that any indoor event with more than 1.000 people should get delayed or cancelled.

On the short term this may actually be what the E3 organizers need. E3 2020 has been shaping up to be a disaster for quite some time now with both major attendees and organizers pulling out. A little virus outbreak would be a good way for them to cancel the whole thing without losing face. 

On the long term a cancellation might end up very badly. E3 has been in decline for some time now and if many companies end up streaming their announcements similar to Nintendo directs then it might become apparent how outdated and unnecessary E3 is. 

I never got so into the grime of E3 to understand why people came to dislike it.

What was good about it was that it was a singular event held the same time every year, where you could expect companies to unleash of deluge of new game and console announcements and manicured footage that left you in awe.

Other littler gaming events like the Tokyo Game Show and Gamescon, don't have the same weight. And piecemeal announcements out of the blue from a company aren't the same either. Getting a gift any time of year is a good thing, but for a child, Christmas is the time when you get hyped for gifts that you know/extreme expect will be coming, and the gifts are superficially better because of that. E3 new reveals are the same way. Sure guaranteed hype can lead to guaranteed disappointment, you wouldn't have so much of that with a Direct that you weren't expecting anything from, but on E3, I was willing to gamble on hype.

NOOOOOOOOO

:tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness::tangerinesadness:

I need my dose of E3 and Fire Emblem news

A lot of things have been canceled due to the corona virus: BTS Tour, NCT 127 Tour, lots of K pop tours 

(I'm sort of a k pop junkie)

Edited by PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Hey, maybe it'll encourage them to do a FE Direct on the 30th anniversary rather than saving it for E3.

This would be awesome! And the perfect time to announce FE Warriors 2 with an Ike teaser. ^^ (like how Chrom was teased when the first game was announced)

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This would be awesome! And the perfect time to announce FE Warriors 2 with an Ike teaser. ^^ (like how Chrom was teased when the first game was announced)

I see the House Leaders and Female Byleth being the centerpiece of any such announcement, with Ike being the last second surprise reveal. 

But maybe that rumored Tellius Remake is happening and would be tied into a FEW2 announcement. That's what I would do.

16 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I see the House Leaders and Female Byleth being the centerpiece of any such announcement, with Ike being the last second surprise reveal. 

If they're going to do a tease, four characters all at once is too much imo. Ike is just one character and is arguably the most popular male.

And what rumored Tellius remake? I thought the rumored remake was FE6 because of what that one IS team member said.

Edited by Anacybele