Ironman Experiences

Hello72207

God, I read all of your comments and then feel so bad. 😂

No false modesty here, I genuinely believe that I am not good enough yet to pull an Iron Man campaign. I do not play Casual and I restart on every death, yet I am not ready to let my units die, specially when I focus on smaller parties.

I have started various Iron Man campaigns of Conquest Hard, for that  is the game that I am most familiar with, but they all have been total failures. Either Cornflakes died soon or I lost an “irreplaceable” unit to keep going on. I know that I need to change the whole mentality, the general approach to party building, and consider replacements for all units, but I still cannot do it.

I then tried two Iron Man runs of FE 7, given that I had not played it enough to care about the characters. Well, it turned out that I was not familiar enough with the maps and mechanics to complete some maps without severe losses. 🙃

The mentality of small-parties challenges is probably incompatible with that of an Iron Man. And I find more fun with the former now.
Oh, well, I still find it interesting reading your comments. They seem so strange to me that I like the awe they produce. 

I really like ironman runs. Sometimes your main front line get 2% crit from enemies and die. That would make a game harder and i like it.Imagin Frederick in lunatic get crit in early Lunatic maps and die 🙂 oh boy :))))))))))))

I just started a Path of Radiance Iron Man, my second one (after Birthright Hard, which was a joke, and Three Houses, which I'm excluding). I just got the game, so I'm playing it totally blind. I just got a game over on chapter 13 because I forgot to protect the apostle from the ravens, but I'll probably just continue, since I'm having a pretty good time playing it. Boyd and Kieran are my best units, along with Titania, who is a god.

I just finished my FE9 IronMan, with only four casualties:

-Shinon, on Chapter 18 (As an enemy, didn't want to waste a deployment on Rolf and he's my most disliked FE character anyway, nothing of value was lost.)
-Kieran, on Chapter 20 (Was swarmed by Wyverns who had 20%-ish chance to hit, but HIT ANYWAY. More insulting is the fact that it was the nearby archer who killed. It's the only death in the run that actually made me sad tho. He was really good.)
-Soren, on Chapter 23 (Crit by a ballista. I had one-shot the archer occupying it previously with Bolting, but then the Sniper moved onto it. Actually made me laugh, and frankly Soren had done his purpose at that point.)
-Reyson, on Endgame (Accidentally placed in the range of a Short Axe Paladin who was in the foutain area, so I didn't suspect he's be able to reach, but he did. But it didn't matter, that was the final chapter anyway.)

The Top 5 MVPs of the playthrough (by kills):

5-Astrid: For my first time using her she made a very strong impression on me. Good on her.
4-Marcia: Would have expeted her to end up higher because she's a flier, but I guess with another flier on my team (Tanith), those kills were distributed. Still love her tho, arguably my best unit in the run, bar Oscar.
3- Boyd: Always ends up among the top 5 if you use him long-term. He started looking pretty slow at the end but he still pulled his own weight better than I'd expected. Also that A support with Mist really helped her reach B rank Swords.
2-Oscar: Of course he'd be so high. God-tier cav.
1-Ike: Because he's Ike. Last playthrough, Marcia was here instead but Ike is just a beast once he promotes.

Also my strategy for killing Ashnard... was boxing him. As pictured below.

Thank you, Tanith's squad. Easiest Ashnard battle ever, and Ashnard is no easy opponent. Glad I able to pull this. Even better was the fact that Oscar has two Earth affinity supports, both as maxed as can be (A with Tanith, B with Ike).

For a first IronMan, that run was a blast, and more often than not it showed me how good an FE player I've become because there were many dicey situations that I got out of, specially in the earlygame. Wonder what game I'll IronMan next... any suggestions, anyone?

Dolphin_1IcaA1KpPP.jpg

• 7 months later...

First attempt at a Thracia ironman today. I reach 4x with no casualty and a movement level up on Leif. This is fun! Aaaaand Asbel just got killed before I could reach him... I guess I'm now playing on hard mode!

Another one of my favorite ironman stories: chapter 2 in Genealogy. Trying  to bait out Erinys with Noish to recruit her with Lewyn. Seemed way safer to bait her with him since wind would have probably murdered her (I messed up my positioning and I had to risk a round of combat otherwise my home castle could would have gotten seized). Except I forgot Noish had critical, and of course it activated and poor Erinys got murdered. The best part is that I was planning to pair Noish and Erinys to change it up from my usual pairings and to get Crit to Fee. I guess Noish was not very happy with this...

Next chapter, both Tailtiu and Brigid got killed before I could reach them thanks to really bad RNG. Thankfully I was able to seize before they reached poor Claude which allowed me to resurrect them both at the start of the next chapter.