(NOOB) Is not using any of the lords bad?

IH520

Doing my first Fe7 playthrough and to be blunt, i find all the lord trash. Hector is better than the other two, but not by much in my eyes. Is that bad? I just find my Cavs and Fliers better, and for sword im using raven. Lyn and Eliwood seemed to get 2 rounded by everything, and the only units they can fight efficiently are low level fighters and soldiers. But anyone on my team can take them out. So basically, is that just wrong to not use them? Or is it not a bad choice

You can always just keep em behind everyone else when they're forced.  The best unit for murdering the final boss is given to you at the last minute.  Plus they promote kinda late so they'll be behind everyone anyway.

The only real downside to not using them is you get the more annoying version of Four Fanged Offense. 

23 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The only real downside to not using them is you get the more annoying version of Four Fanged Offense. 

To be fair the map is pretty hard to unlock even if you train them considering the sums of their levels must be over 50 before chapter 23 in order to gain access to the chapter, the map can easily be missed in a non-grind run.

I'd say give Hector a chance, he's pretty durable and can hit hard, plus most enemies in FE7 have abysmal speed he can double reliably when trained despite not having a good Spd stat.

Edited by Ari Chan

1 minute ago, Ari Chan said:

To be fair the map is pretty hard to unlock even if you train them considering the sums of their levels must be over 50 before chapter 23 in order to gain access to the chapter.

Not really, FE7 is an easy enough game that purposefully getting the Linus version isn't that hard in my experience unless your lords are super stat screwed and can't kill anything, which seems to be the case for OP.  

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Not really, FE7 is an easy enough game that purposefully getting the Linus version isn't that hard in my experience unless your lords are super stat screwed and can't kill anything, which seems to be the case for OP.  

I was talking about players who play the game blind and aren’t aware that there are 2 versions of chapter 23/24 but I agree that the lords are not hard to train, even if they’re stat screwed their Prf weapons still do a huge amount of damage to Cavs/Armors so feeding them kills isn’t that difficult.

Just now, Ari Chan said:

I was talking about players who play the game blind and aren’t aware that there are 2 versions of chapter 23/24 but I agree that the lords are not hard to train, even if they’re stat screwed their Prf weapons still do a huge amount of damage to Cavs/Armors so feeding them kills isn’t that difficult.

Oh then yeah, if you don't know how the route splits in the Elibe games work you likely won't even notice there's two versions of anything.  

Opinions on the quality of the lords in this game tend to be mixed, but one thing we can agree on is that you don't need to use them, especially assuming you're on Eliwood normal since it's your first run. All three are forced in a few maps, including the final, but it's typically simple enough to just keep them all out of harm's way.

Asking these types of questions is bad.  Like, way worse than not using (insert unit here) in a FE game.  FE is single-player, so do what you want.

Nothing wrong with ignoring your lords. There are only a few chapters all of them are required. Final chapter is one of them. But with a few strong units you'll be fine. Hector is pretty good though.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:08 AM, Glaceon Mage said:

You can always just keep em behind everyone else when they're forced.  The best unit for murdering the final boss is given to you at the last minute.  Plus they promote kinda late so they'll be behind everyone anyway.

Yeah i just got to chapter 23, and ive died twice. i hate FOW. and my dumbass didnt give mathew any levels and didnt get the other one, so ive missed out on a few items.

2 minutes ago, IH520 said:

Yeah i just got to chapter 23, and ive died twice. i hate FOW. and my dumbass didnt give mathew any levels and didnt get the other one, so ive missed out on a few items.

Matthew doesn't need levels to open chests though.

2 minutes ago, IH520 said:

He needs levels to steal

From what I remember, stuff you could steal that enemies didn't automatically drop wasn't all interesting most of the time anyway.  Not really necessary to beat the game.  Matthew also has pretty high base speed, and FE7 enemies usually suck, so being underlevelled shouldn't be that much of an issue either, so long as you have a paladin or flyer grab him and run away after.  

If you're that worried about it, you could use the arena in Four Fanged Offense to grind him up I guess, but it's not really necessary.